BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
don't you just love the "I used to own a 69 beetle and I used to work on them for a living, so I know everything about my Q7 and your wrong" types.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every person who came in claiming to know what they were talking about on a car barely knew anything, but for some reason thought they knew more than I do.  My favorite was a guy telling me the coolant bleeding procedure for his car.  Claiming you had to hook up a charger and bleed it electronically and posting a review saying I was obviously not facotry trained since I had no idea what he was talking about.  He was absolutely wrong by the way.  His engine has a mechanical pump, he was confused by the bleed procedure for the in line six engines.
don't you just love the "I used to own a 69 beetle and I used to work on them for a living, so I know everything about my Q7 and your wrong" types.
lol
I'll do you one better. Some years back we had a guy bring in an early 90's model truck with a 2.2l had a coolant leak or something. Any how we told him it was coming from the water pump. He promptly informed us that engine does not have a water pump, he already looked into it! I showed him a diagram in my computer, he still did not believe us. He claimed he was a crane operator and knows about how engines work! WTF

Needless to say there are times you just know the customer is not worth keeping.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I buy most of my gasoline on Downman road in New Orleans on my way to work. I'm more worried about getting shot than buying bad fuel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My 4Runner has been doing the same thing lately.  Quit buying cheap ass gas from Gas Mart and see what happens.

*Former Mechanic of both Autos and Aircraft.  
I buy most of my gasoline on Downman road in New Orleans on my way to work. I'm more worried about getting shot than buying bad fuel.
Nice...ever hit up Visions for Lunch?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nope.
View Quote
No, you were correct before your edit!

It just wasn't you!
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Make sure you top it off again before dropping it off so the mechanic can calibrate the gauge correctly knowing the tank is full.  Let them know you did this too.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They are just burnt out from know it alls. Doesn't make it right, but it is what it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It sounds like a lot mechanics are predisposed to dislike people who have a bit of mechanical knowledge. Does that change when the customer is super polite and defers to your experience? That's how I am when I take anything in for service. I just don't appreciate being treated like a second class citizen for bringing my business.
They are just burnt out from know it alls. Doesn't make it right, but it is what it is.
What people don't understand is, you may know something, and you may be right and you may be nice... we've also had to deal with 100 know-it-alls who are a pain in the ass and want to tell you how to do your job, yet don't actually know anything. Its frustrating for anyone in any technical field especially in the days of the internet expert.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Huh, neat, hell on some of our kias we don't even have to drop the tank their is a accessport that you can pull the fuel pump out of
View Quote
I CUT an access port into the floor of my Ford's.

Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Because people are generally stupid and do stupid things with their equipment then want you to unf*ck it. I've been an aircraft mechanic for nearly 30 years........it helps when the crew knows how to operate the equipment and how it's supposed to operate under varying conditions.

Some systems are intertwined, so when switch A on System A is not engaged when you have switch B on System C turned off and such and such light doesn't come on..........well, comprehension of the entire system is essential.

Or, when the engine has been running rough ever since my teenage son put some computer chip somewhere under the hood and didn't recalibrate the ratio.....

After repeat stupid over so many years it just gets old.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Fuck draining the gas, tie straps and a tranny table.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
because now they gotta pull the tank to replace a sender with a full tank of fuel, which requires draining the tank first and that pretty much sucks no matter how good your gas caddy is.
Fuck draining the gas, tie straps and a tranny table.
and if the damn thing hobbles over because you wanna flat rate it the cluster fuck and potential fire hazard of 15 gallons all over the shop and buying customer a new tank because you wanted to save some time. thats hack shit. as other posters stated earlier drain it using pump or remove bed if possible but don't remove a full tank of fuel.

you still have to open the tank regardless so you might as well make it safer.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I like my job and make petty good money, but generally it gets very tiresome dealing with idiots.  From YouTube mechanics, to the "eversinceya" people. You can replace a part the customer requests, because they saw it online, and then yell at you because it doesn't fix it. Then you got to deal with the sales people up front being stupid too.  It's a shitstorm of stupid from every direction.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What people don't understand is, you may know something, and you may be right and you may be nice... we've also had to deal with 100 know-it-alls who are a pain in the ass and want to tell you how to do your job, yet don't actually know anything. Its frustrating for anyone in any technical field especially in the days of the internet expert.
View Quote
Amen
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#12]
This will be yet another thread focused on ridiculing, excusing or explaining poor, selfish or disrespectful behavior in people of all occupations rather than one making note of the fact that in each of the occupations mentioned, their are people found who display graciousness and professionalism regardless of the type of person they may be dealing with.

Exemplify that that which is considered worthy and good or embrace and make excuses for the existence of bad behavior.

Which is more likely to produce a worthwhile outcome?

Be kind to people behaving miserably, it either forces them to look inward or it disarms them in their current attempt to spread their misery.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

and if the damn thing hobbles over because you wanna flat rate it the cluster fuck and potential fire hazard of 15 gallons all over the shop and buying customer a new tank because you wanted to save some time. thats hack shit. as other posters stated earlier drain it using pump or remove bed if possible but don't remove a full tank of fuel.

you still have to open the tank regardless so you might as well make it safer.
View Quote
Never had a problem with one hobbling over on our table, don't even know how I could it's 4 feet by 5 feet I think, I think a load capacity is like several thousand pounds to, but you make a valid point,  if we didn't have the luxury of this nice table I would be forced to drain the tanks all the time time as well
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Entitled fucks who try to steal money out of your pockets.

Haven't taken my cars to a shop in years.
View Quote
A guy came in the shop the other day with a Subaru that wouldn't start.
He insisted the starter was bad and he had his own parts, just wanted us to replace it.
After I put the new starter on it still did not start.
I cleaned his battery cables , charged for the starter install and .5 for cleaning the cables.
Told him to have a nice day after he paid the bill.
Was that stealing his money?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#15]
dealing with the general public in a CS position will do that to a person.  rare is the bartender who isn't also a misanthrope.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Never had a problem with one hobbling over on our table, don't even know how I could it's 4 feet by 5 feet I think, I think a load capacity is like several thousand pounds to, but you make a valid point,  if we didn't have the luxury of this nice table I would be forced to drain the tanks all the time time as well
View Quote
yeah, that a big ass table. I just use trans jacks and bottle jacks. its unusual for us to pull a tank though because there are access panels under the seat to get to the fuel pumps/ senders.

I've only pulled them to replace them when rats eat the evap lines on top of the tank.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Working with the stupid dick public will make you a dick.  And subsequently leery of everybody else intelligence level.  When you do meet somebody that's not a dick and actually knows something it takes a moment for it to "click."

It's basically an autonomous response.

I personally know from 10 (going on 11) years in the retail meat world. Only 30 more years to go....

Link Posted: 12/11/2017 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Most mechanics HATE people that understand how cars work, even moreso if they can turn wrenches themselves and are bringing their vehicle to a shop because they lack the time, space or motivation to do the job themselves. Or it is something that isn't in their wheelhouse.

I have encountered it several times as a pretty hardcore shadetree wrench. I farm out things like internal transmission work, alignments, differential setup and the like. I also don't do heavy work on the girlfriend's car (Lexus are a nightmare to work on).

For the most part I STFU about my ability and let them talk. Kind of a holdback to make sure I am not being bullshitted.

A lot of mechanics are socially awkward and don't like people much.
View Quote
I like when people know what they're talking about, it makes it easier to explain what's wrong.

What I hate is people who don't know shit, but act like they do. These are the people we don't want in the shop. They typically see some random part or project and start talking as if they knew anything about it, then always bring up a story of how they did one once upon a time. They love to try and one up you by pointing out something you're doing "wrong" that doesn't match the instructions in the YouTube video they watched. They always have some bullshit reason why they're not doing a job themselves and it always eludes to the fact that they're clueless on the job or else they say the tried and true bullshitter's motto of "I'm used to working on American cars, these imports are impossible to get my hands into and need special tools that I don't want to buy".

And the biggest reason we don't want those guys around is because everything they worked on was half assed so it makes the job ten times worse because we spend half the time doing the job and the other half cleaning off gobs of silicon, replacing rounded off & missing bolts, undoing all of their YouTube "tips and tricks" that  were supposed to increase longevity of a part or make things easier. Add to the fact that this troglodyte is breathing down your neck the whole time acting like they're supervising when in reality they just want to learn something.

And I hate to be the one to call you out, but Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura are by far the easiest cars to work on, bar none. Any present day multi-brand car mechanic would tell you that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#19]
tired of dealing w/ people.

ask me how i know.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

yeah, that a big ass table. I just use trans jacks and bottle jacks. its unusual for us to pull a tank though because there are access panels under the seat to get to the fuel pumps/ senders.

I've only pulled them to replace them when rats eat the evap lines on top of the tank.
View Quote
We got it slightly used from a semi truck shop went bust, thing is the shit, and rats eating evap lines? Huh, soy based? How unfortunate.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@littlepony

View Quote
he likes dicks
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Aircraft mechanics are cunts also.
View Quote
Except for RADAR techs.  Those guys are cool.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I worked with Joe and Jane public for over 3 decades.
In their homes and businesses.
10s of thousands.
Yea, many "knew" the trouble was outside...and many were wrong.
But...wrong or not, they paid my salary. " Ok...TY for the info, I'll be sure to check that." I never considered their opinions more than the buzzing of flies.
And I could have screwed the a holes hard-and there were some....but I didn't. Never up sold (I was a repairman) but expected to.
Never BS'd.
I wasn't a politician, a lawyer, a carpenter, a PR guy.
All got fair, honest, respectful treatment and a job done to the best of my substantial abilities.
Because without them, I'd be FSA.
For even the assholes spent $$$$ and it's just as valuable as the passives.
Being nice and honest is free, kept me out of trouble, and paid my bills.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fact.

SmilingBandit, 2A574, A&P
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

We got it slightly used from a semi truck shop went bust, thing is the shit, and rats eating evap lines? Huh, soy based? How unfortunate.
View Quote
not soy, just plastic, and pack rats will eat anything they feel like.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Ever work on an old shitty car? It fucking sucks. A huge pain in the ass.

No imagine you do that every day all day.

No thank you.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Because they work with the public, and any job involving working with the public will make anyone wind up hating people.
View Quote
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I used to be the happiest person, rarely got upset and loved to help people. I took a job working with the public on a daily basis and it has ruined me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ever work on an old shitty car? It fucking sucks. A huge pain in the ass.

No imagine you do that every day all day.

No thank you.
View Quote
Even better when people think your repair shop is touch everything car show.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
I resemble that remark.

Fuckin pilots.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why'd you call out mechanics then dog on service writers?

Service writers aren't mechanics, and they treat you like a child, because they have "experts" bringing cars in all day, every day.
View Quote
The service writers and damn near most service managers are so stupid, that they are intimidated by to OP being at least half way smart!
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:40:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Entitled fucks who try to steal money out of your pockets.

Haven't taken my cars to a shop in years.
View Quote
TPNI
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

TPNI
View Quote
We should get our cars fixed for free!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The service writers and damn near most service managers are so stupid, that they are intimidated by to OP being at least half way smart!
View Quote
The service writers I have worked with were the ones not smart enough to make it through the 2 year tech program.  3 different dealerships, same shit.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#35]
My mechanic is awesome.  I need to send him a little something for Christmas.

Quoted:
why are gunsmiths cranky.. I'm seeing a trend..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
why are gunsmiths cranky.. I'm seeing a trend..

At least mechanics can usually still source parts so they can repair vehicles.  Gun owners don't like to hear that no, you can't fix their rifle granddaddy's old rifle because it was last made in 1935 and no one makes parts for it any more.

Quoted:
I had a guy tell me he refused to rebuild the rear differential on my 2000 chevy S10 because the cost of repairs would exceed the value of the vehicle. (Pinion bearing went out)
I told him that's not the point, the vehicle is paid off, it's my daily driver and not an insurance claim. I want it fixed.

I guess he didn't want my money.

He just said come get your truck. Fuck that guy.

If the cost of repair > cost of gun we let the owner know up front.  If the owner still wants the repair, we're happy to take the money.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a feeling that everyone who works for a dealership is miserable and don't give two fucks how they talk to customers.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

He insisted the starter was bad and he had his own parts, just wanted us to replace it.
I cleaned his battery cables , charged for the starter install and .5 for cleaning the cables.
View Quote
Did it start after you cleaned the cables?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not worth arguing with them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#39]
They're a dichotomy. They hate you because you're too stupid to fix your own car, they take it personally that you don't take better care of your vehicle, and they're miserable because you keep them employed and are willing to pay them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course.
He could have saved quite a bit of money by letting me troubleshoot instead of swap parts.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#41]
The customer is always right.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The customer is always right.
View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Because they have to deal with people. People are stupid.
View Quote
Amen brother.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I had a guy tell me he refused to rebuild the rear differential on my 2000 chevy S10 because the cost of repairs would exceed the value of the vehicle. (Pinion bearing went out)
I told him that's not the point, the vehicle is paid off, it's my daily driver and not an insurance claim. I want it fixed.

I guess he didn't want my money.

He just said come get your truck. Fuck that guy.
View Quote
More things often break on old cars while working on them and the high chance that some other part will fail soon after and result in a never ended fight with the owner about how his car ran great before he worked on it.

A mechanic doesn't want someones shit show project of never ending failure stuck on his lift.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You haven't seen grumpy until you have worked with machinists.
View Quote
Truth.  (Full disclosure I am a machinist)
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#46]
I wish I worked in an industry where I could deride the customer.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You haven't seen grumpy until you have worked with machinists.
THIS!!! I know a few former machinists, they're all right now in the sheet metal fab world, but will tell you straight up machinists are the grumpiest ass holes there are. Probably from standing on concrete in boots doing tedious shit all day.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I wish I worked in an industry where I could deride the customer.
View Quote
Me too, mechanic here!

I mean you can't expect to stay in business long if it happens all the time. That said, it is some times nice to jump on arfcom and vent about it though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. I called the Acura dealer at fist he was dick, then he realized I knew more then him, and started asking me questions. Just to be clear not saying I know over all more then him, but I called looking for a part and had part numbers, where it goes, and ETC he didn’t even know there it was located.  Over all was good call, but they couldn’t help me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This. I called the Acura dealer at fist he was dick, then he realized I knew more then him, and started asking me questions. Just to be clear not saying I know over all more then him, but I called looking for a part and had part numbers, where it goes, and ETC he didn’t even know there it was located.  Over all was good call, but they couldn’t help me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's probably because I bet they get a lot of "that thingy on the front, that goes up"
Page / 6
Top Top