User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dealing with the dick public makes them that way?
View Quote
This.

You say you don't know how it works, yet my work is too expensive and I am ripping you off, but the cheaper place down the road jacked it up and ripped you off too, and you want to tell me how to do my job. But you don't know how it works.

Then the dick after you says he wants his brakes fixed for $50 real quick. He ran his front brakes down to the point the pad backing plates fell out and he was stopping with the piston. Until that popped out. And the rear brakes ... well ... I guess you thought the rattling of your rear brake shoe adjuster tumbling in the drum would fix itself.

And then the chick at your friends' party says "Only lawyers rip people off more. And eww, you get dirty."

Sad thing is I think I could make more working at an Audi dealership than I do being a high-ranked tech "executive" - and that dealership has service writers up front that do the talking to the customer for you. But ... Audi...
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Because they have to deal with people. People are stupid.
View Quote
You strike me as a stay in the basement order everything off Amazon kinda guy....
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m not sure any other career has so many customers state they could do the job better for cheaper and faster.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My team
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I hear a service writer say my guys or my techs one more time I swear.
My team
Ugh, I hate when our service manager leaves to go on lunch, our two all of the sudden think they're the best thing God put on this Earth.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I’m not sure any other career has so many customers state they could do the job better for cheaper and faster.
View Quote
That’s due in large part to all the Dateline, 20/20 undercover reports where little old ladies get charged $750 for new headlight fluid and johnson rod replacement......Sorry, but it’s the few bad apples who have fucked over the rest and given the industry in general a bad rap.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's due in large part to all the Dateline, 20/20 undercover reports where little old ladies get charged $750 for new headlight fluid and johnson rod replacement......Sorry, but it's the few bad apples who have fucked over the rest and given the industry in general a bad rap.
View Quote
I've wondered how many shops they went to before they got what the wanted.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That’s due in large part to all the Dateline, 20/20 undercover reports where little old ladies get charged $750 for new headlight fluid and johnson rod replacement......Sorry, but it’s the few bad apples who have fucked over the rest and given the industry in general a bad rap.
View Quote
The chain stores where they hire junkies and drop outs hurts both dealers and good independents more then that.

they'll pay guys shit pay who do shit work, sell everyone brakes and shocks and tie rods and shit they don't needd, at a lower price then anyone can match because they're shit parts. Then its expected a shop with good technicians, using quality parts match their rates.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Called a local Toyota place to schedule some work to be done to my Tacoma. The fuel gauge needle is resting on empty and the low fuel light is on even though I've topped the tank. The service manager was condescending. I've been doing minor maintenance on my vehicles my whole life and managing the maintenance on aircraft for a couple decades. I give detailed notes on symptoms and things I know to be wrong but I also know my place. I'm not a mechanic. With automobiles a 19 year old still treats me like a child.
View Quote
About 2 weeks ago, I changed out the thermostat on my Impala (I hate working on cars, but it's a relatively simple repair so I did it myself rather than paying for it)... So after I changed it out... I went ahead and flushed the coolant as well.  Get done, and Impala's have this notorious problem of getting air in the coolant lines, so I followed the instructions for bringing the car to temp and using these two "bleeder screws" to let the air escape.  Well, I'm an idiot and dropped one of them.  I looked everywhere and couldn't find it.  With visions of wandering around pick-a-part on a Saturday afternoon since the dealers were all closed, I decided to try Autozone.  I explain what I'm looking for.  I admit I didn't know the actual name of the part, but I told him what I was doing and even where the screw was located.. and he looks at me like I'm retarded, saying that "Air in the coolant lines isn't a problem"... I guess the manager or some other employee was about 10-12ft away and interrupted and said he'd handle it as he knew what I was talking about.  The guy got a disgruntled look on his face and walked away.  Turns out, they had a replacement part for like $8 (sold as a kit to replace both bleeder screws) which I considered well worth it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
About 2 weeks ago, I changed out the thermostat on my Impala (I hate working on cars, but it's a relatively simple repair so I did it myself rather than paying for it)... So after I changed it out... I went ahead and flushed the coolant as well.  Get done, and Impala's have this notorious problem of getting air in the coolant lines, so I followed the instructions for bringing the car to temp and using these two "bleeder screws" to let the air escape.  Well, I'm an idiot and dropped one of them.  I looked everywhere and couldn't find it.  With visions of wandering around pick-a-part on a Saturday afternoon since the dealers were all closed, I decided to try Autozone.  I explain what I'm looking for.  I admit I didn't know the actual name of the part, but I told him what I was doing and even where the screw was located.. and he looks at me like I'm retarded, saying that "Air in the coolant lines isn't a problem"... I guess the manager or some other employee was about 10-12ft away and interrupted and said he'd handle it as he knew what I was talking about.  The guy got a disgruntled look on his face and walked away.  Turns out, they had a replacement part for like $8 (sold as a kit to replace both bleeder screws) which I considered well worth it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Called a local Toyota place to schedule some work to be done to my Tacoma. The fuel gauge needle is resting on empty and the low fuel light is on even though I've topped the tank. The service manager was condescending. I've been doing minor maintenance on my vehicles my whole life and managing the maintenance on aircraft for a couple decades. I give detailed notes on symptoms and things I know to be wrong but I also know my place. I'm not a mechanic. With automobiles a 19 year old still treats me like a child.
BTDT on an Impala but thankfully I didn't lose anything!
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 2:50:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The chain stores where they hire junkies and drop outs hurts both dealers and good independents more then that.

they'll pay guys shit pay who do shit work, sell everyone brakes and shocks and tie rods and shit they don't needd, at a lower price then anyone can match because they're shit parts. Then its expected a shop with good technicians, using quality parts match their rates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's due in large part to all the Dateline, 20/20 undercover reports where little old ladies get charged $750 for new headlight fluid and johnson rod replacement......Sorry, but it's the few bad apples who have fucked over the rest and given the industry in general a bad rap.

Chain store brake job shows up in my shop.  Brake wear sensor routed through the spring and held in place with a shoe lace.  No.  Shit.  I about died.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Chain store brake job shows up in my shop.  Brake wear sensor routed through the spring and held in place with a shoe lace.  No.  Shit.  I about died.
View Quote
most of them I see they cut the wires and butt connector them together because they didn't realized sensor and pads are separate.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I fire customers on the regular.  Being booked out about 2 weeks on average means you are not giving me the privilege of working on your car, I am giving you the privilege of having your car worked on by me.
View Quote
Well aren't you special.  I'd bet you could sell ice to eskimos.  Never take your ride to be worked on by a stranger is my motto.  That's what I tell friends and family.  Only take your vehicle to trusted friends that work as auto mechanics by trade.   If you don't have any friends that are professional auto mechanics then you better find some.   I've been on this earth far too long and seen too many things that shady auto mechanics do to make an extra buck.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

most of them I see they cut the wires and butt connector them together because they didn't realized sensor and pads are separate.
View Quote
I have seen that too
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

BTDT on an Impala but thankfully I didn't lose anything!
View Quote
It was my fault, as I didn't realize the screw was as short as it was and I actually removed it vs loosening it... Had I just loosened it, rather than turning it that last half a turn when it fell out.. I'd have been fine.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This.

You say you don't know how it works, yet my work is too expensive and I am ripping you off, but the cheaper place down the road jacked it up and ripped you off too, and you want to tell me how to do my job. But you don't know how it works.

Then the dick after you says he wants his brakes fixed for $50 real quick. He ran his front brakes down to the point the pad backing plates fell out and he was stopping with the piston. Until that popped out. And the rear brakes ... well ... I guess you thought the rattling of your rear brake shoe adjuster tumbling in the drum would fix itself.

And then the chick at your friends' party says "Only lawyers rip people off more. And eww, you get dirty."

Sad thing is I think I could make more working at an Audi dealership than I do being a high-ranked tech "executive" - and that dealership has service writers up front that do the talking to the customer for you. But ... Audi...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dealing with the dick public makes them that way?
This.

Why don't all technicians who deal with the public have the same problem? If you were putting an addition on your house, would you complain that the low bidder for the job was STILL ripping you off? I think the problem, as I said earlier in the thread, is that auto mechanics never learned to communicate in plain English with their customers. When you break shit down like you're telling your grandma about your job, people tend to understand you better, and tend not to think you're using a bunch of jargon to confuse them so you can rip them off.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well aren't you special.  I'd bet you could sell ice to eskimos.  Never take your ride to be worked on by a stranger is my motto.  That's what I tell friends and family.  Only take your vehicle to trusted friends that work as auto mechanics by trade.   If you don't have any friends that are professional auto mechanics then you better find some.   I've been on this earth far too long and seen too many things that shady auto mechanics do to make an extra buck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fire customers on the regular.  Being booked out about 2 weeks on average means you are not giving me the privilege of working on your car, I am giving you the privilege of having your car worked on by me.
I am glad someone recognizes my sills.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 11:21:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Why don't all technicians who deal with the public have the same problem? If you were putting an addition on your house, would you complain that the low bidder for the job was STILL ripping you off? I think the problem, as I said earlier in the thread, is that auto mechanics never learned to communicate in plain English with their customers. When you break shit down like you're telling your grandma about your job, people tend to understand you better, and tend not to think you're using a bunch of jargon to confuse them so you can rip them off.
View Quote
speaking as a semi retired shop owner/master technician of high end German cars... I learned long ago to speak to the customer in a language he/she could understand,my saying was I speak both Blonde and engineer. One has to know the listeners skills and well as being a good listener. Ask the questions about the when why what if, etc to make the techs job better.an old joke about a rancher getting a sales pitch was very true."Son, you hear how fast I'm talking to you? well that's just how fast i'm listening to you. "
My guys made a great living IF they were great at the job.  If not, thanks  bye.
If your auto tech isnt one of the smartest people you know, you need to look around. This shit isnt easy, the tooling and software costs a ton, the schooling and continual training costs, but it all benefits all involved.But yes some days one just has too many assholes line up at once, and I would lose my cool at the next one. Very rare, as I had a great clientele built over 30 plus years. But the idiot who bought a great deal over the weekend then brings it in with couple minor issues he wants fixed. I have to tell him he got fucked . 745/750 BMW were the worst for bargain hunters, why would some one think that a 100k car could be bought for 15k? because its a turd that needs a ton of money spent on it. They didnt want to hear the truth.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 11:50:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

i actively avoid side jobs for friends.

without fail "favors" always go sideways
View Quote
Same here. Those jobs almost always go down in flames for me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 11:55:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Ask again Here
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:04:54 AM EDT
[#21]
@pilatuspilot

Update???

Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@pilatuspilot

Update???

View Quote
Got called to go on a trip today and tomorrow. I'll take it to the shop Friday.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:26:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’d offer to let you hang around with me for a day or two and walk in my shoes if you were closer.  You’ll quickly see why.  I may even let you pay my tool bill.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:36:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Well joe public tends to be a dumbass.

And some mechanics think their shit doesn't stink, you need them more than they need you. Take my cousin for instance, he has to take his car to the mechanic to have its battery replaced its a late 90s civic, has to have someone add washer fluid to the res, and change a flat tire, all the minor shit that most everyone else can do he can't, all because he is a DUMBASS.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:15:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
because now they gotta pull the tank to replace a sender with a full tank of fuel, which requires draining the tank first and that pretty much sucks no matter how good your gas caddy is.
View Quote
^this right here. Thanks for topping her off! Dick.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:18:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
99% of everyone that comes in thinks they already know exactly whats wrong and could fix it themselves if it weren't beneath them. If they are told anything other than what they guessed it is. If that procedure costs more than $ 25 or takes longer than a half hour. The mechanic is incompetent and a swindler.
View Quote
Yep. "But the part is only 75 dollars, why are you charging me 375?!?!?! Your ripping me off!!!" It's like all of these educated people seem to forget the cost of labor. It makes me giggle.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:46:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's hard to remain objective when the majority of your customers don't understand automotive stuff as easily you do, and can't even answer simple questions when fault finding.

I don't want to know where you were going when your steering wheel 'felt funny'

I understand that you're a doctor who studied for years to get where you are, and that you are my intellectual superior but you still don't understand how tyre pressure affects the ride quality in your Lexus.

I'd like you to know that when you bring your car in and ask me to find out why your car is acting poorly, when I call you with a $5000+ repair estimate it doesn't magically make you an expert on the matter able to decide that it should only cost $75 to fix and be done before the end of the day.

In summary, if you want to be treated better, don't let most of the general public own cars unless they pass a automotive IQ test.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 3:19:59 AM EDT
[#28]
I used to hate mechanics until I started working on my cars myself and learning how to get things done. After that experience, I only take my car to a reputable dealer or a good independent mechanic.

I believe how most people get "ripped" off is actually a factor of time. In theory, I could completely strip down my transmission to get to the torque convertor to then completely disassembly said part and fix the $5 dollar seal that went bad. However that would probably take me a week as I have a full time job and the car will be in pieces on my garage floor and I will inevitably find 5 others things I "might as well fix" since everything is disassembled.

Or I could take it to a good transmission mechanic who will probably have it back to me in a day or two after dropping the engine, removing the transmission and replacing said torque converter for $3k. If you only have one car and plan on keeping it for another 10 years, then just take it to a transmission mechanic. if this is your 3rd car that you can afford to have in part as you slowly scroll through youtube videos, buy tools and parts and wait weeks for them to show up, then do it yourself.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 3:48:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Op I feel your pain.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Because a lot of customers are cunts.  Yin/Yang.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Dealing with the public can make it a challenge to be pleasant. Trust me, I know.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I used to hate mechanics until I started working on my cars myself and learning how to get things done. After that experience, I only take my car to a reputable dealer or a good independent mechanic.

I believe how most people get "ripped" off is actually a factor of time. In theory, I could completely strip down my transmission to get to the torque convertor to then completely disassembly said part and fix the $5 dollar seal that went bad. However that would probably take me a week as I have a full time job and the car will be in pieces on my garage floor and I will inevitably find 5 others things I "might as well fix" since everything is disassembled.

Or I could take it to a good transmission mechanic who will probably have it back to me in a day or two after dropping the engine, removing the transmission and replacing said torque converter for $3k. If you only have one car and plan on keeping it for another 10 years, then just take it to a transmission mechanic. if this is your 3rd car that you can afford to have in part as you slowly scroll through youtube videos, buy tools and parts and wait weeks for them to show up, then do it yourself.
View Quote
if you strip down your whole transmission to get to the torque converter  your doing it wrong.

also if you can open your torque convert to change a seal yourself thats pretty impressive..
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
if you strip down your whole transmission to get to the torque converter  your doing it wrong.

also if you can open your torque convert to change a seal yourself thats pretty impressive..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He main career is a proctologist, so he goes in through the exhaust to work on any part of the car.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Got called to go on a trip today and tomorrow. I'll take it to the shop Friday.
View Quote
Well, we're waiting!!!!

@pilatuspilot

Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#35]
They have dealt with too many customers that:

- Rarely maintain their cars
- Do unspeakable things to their cars
- Ignore obvious problemd until the car is barely (if that) operative
- Have unrealistic (e.g. fantasy-based) ideas of how easy a repair should be - or how much it should cost
- Drop off basket-case cars that require a miracle-worker
- Are shocked by normal shop fees
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I own a couple of Sprinter vans.
I'm a mechanical contractor,
My Sprinter dealer has 35 bays dedicated to Sprinter service.
They understand that i use my Sprinters to earn my living and listen to my issues.
My service adviser brings their head mechanic to listen to my complaints.

I've had a couple of small issues with this vehicle but they have been resolved to my satisfaction.
They also give me a replacement vehicle while mine is being serviced.

A perfect example was my smelling antifreeze when coming to a stop after spirited driving.
No loss of coolant level.
The head mechanic said there was a known issue of the water pump seal leaking.
Water pump seal was replaced with no issues since.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Life is easier that way.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 4:00:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You strike me as a stay in the basement order everything off Amazon kinda guy....
View Quote
Amazon is the high priced Safe Space for Weinies...

eBay is where Men hunt for deals...
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 5:28:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Reference "Team America - World Police" on 'Dicks, Assholes & Pussies"...
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 5:53:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Lots of the reasons already given have validity but I will ad that you don't get paid shit for the amount of skill, knowledge and experience it takes to be a good mechanic.  The amount you have to spend on tools is ridiculous also.
View Quote
This^ plus the fact that they got in it to do mechanical things and found out that you have to be an electrical engineer on these modern rolling computers.

Try chasing intermittent electrical gremlins in a newer vehicle sometime only to find that after you've checked everything the whiz bang machine told you to and tested every sensor, servo and electronic assembly only to find that the issue was a minor problem INSIDE the factory wiring harness.

While the customer is bitching about how long it's taking and how the other 3 dealers in town AND his brother-in-law couldn't fix it either.

It won't take long and you'll be an asshole too.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 6:42:23 AM EDT
[#41]
They seem to have a chip on their shoulder like they hate their job but can’t do anything else.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 7:15:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The service writer that answers the phone isn't a mechanic
View Quote
Customer : my fuel gauge isn't working ,even though I just filled it.
AC sponge : huh uh....ok...is that all.
Customer : yes, that's only issue
AC sponge : you can bring by between 7am-8am..if not it'll be Thursday.
Costumer : I'm..ok..ill he there at 7:30
AC sponge : ok,good bye.

AC sponge (writing ) - problem - gas tank problem.

Service tech - (reading) gas tank...... WTF I'm not a tucking mind reader....hey AC sponge WTF is with this shot,anymore info..

AC sponge- (setting phone down)...ummm..yeah. no. Its all they said. I'm super busy, I can't spend all day doing your job....blah blah blah..

Service tech - stupid twats .. retards..gas tanks full..great....wtf...way to start my fucking day...
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 7:18:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Because they work with the public, and any job involving working with the public will make anyone wind up hating people.
View Quote
This is very true right here.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top