Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 1:53:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Forgot that I actually am in the market for a laser- for an old SUB-9 Keltec folding carbine.  The old one, made out of metal (not the plastic SUB-2000 models), nobody makes a folding/flip over red dot mount for those like they do for the current versions…. It came with an old red dot, and honestly on that gun, with its tall skinny sights, a laser isn’t the worst thing ever.  

Of course it is a range toy, not a serious use gun…. And I might not have shot it since lasers were considered “in”….  

Anyhow- I think most of the time we can see that many companies try to use a cheap laser on these pocket pistols to sell to the “hardly ever practice” crowd.  Laser being on target doesn’t mean jack shit when they anticipate and drop the shot 2 feet down and to the left….

Link Posted: 8/6/2023 2:00:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A friend of mine has a Glock 36 with a guide rod laser.
View Quote

We all have that one friend…
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 2:05:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I can't wait for a an X300 sized LEP "pointer"

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/xRR9F8jgwFI/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote

This. A tiny red dot is too hard to find in a rush. A 4-6 inch white circle on the target would be a lot better.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 2:22:59 AM EDT
[#4]
One night, many moons ago, my TLR2 saved a lot of headaches as I closed with a threat.
As he watched the laser dot slide up the hood of the vehicle and come to rest on his chest, he threw the pistol out the open car door (he was in the driver seat), raised his hands, and began screaming "I AIN'T GOT NO GUN!"

Ahhhh.  Good times.

H
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 4:18:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Tasers also have built in lasers, IIRC.

I'd have to imagine that has - for some, anyways - a "maybe I should quit fucking around" effect.
View Quote

When they first got tasers locally, the phrase "red dot compliance was gained" was common in police reports.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 4:39:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A visible laser is good for shooting from under a table while seated, and very few other situations where the sights can’t be used.
View Quote

Welp, I'm sold.

Only reason I need.  I run into these kind of situations semi-regular.

Link Posted: 8/6/2023 6:30:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

First you number your numbered options, then you weigh your choices, then you divide your angles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool. How do you clear a blind corner on a short room off a cramped hallway?

First you number your numbered options, then you weigh your choices, then you divide your angles.

If it's a Sicilian on the other side, I'm not going to commit to land war in Asia.

Link Posted: 8/6/2023 6:34:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
One night, many moons ago, my TLR2 saved a lot of headaches as I closed with a threat.
As he watched the laser dot slide up the hood of the vehicle and come to rest on his chest, he threw the pistol out the open car door (he was in the driver seat), raised his hands, and began screaming "I AIN'T GOT NO GUN!"

Ahhhh.  Good times.

H
View Quote

See?  Useless.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 6:39:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I like mounting 3 lasers on my weapons like the predator.

Also, why would a terminator need laser sighting?
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 6:45:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Local cops used to have them on their Sig P220ST. I asked about their effectiveness. They said it helped a few times in a few situations where a glowing red dot on someone’s chest got an individual to rethink the next actions they were preparing for and those subjects changed their minds prior to a loud noise coming from the same P220ST.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 6:51:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Local cops used to have them on their Sig P220ST. I asked about their effectiveness. They said it helped a few times in a few situations where a glowing red dot on someone’s chest got an individual to rethink the next actions they were preparing for and those subjects changed their minds prior to a loud noise coming from the same P220ST.
View Quote

Green is much more calming and soothing though.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 6:59:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They suck, are slow to acquire and who looks at their own chest to see if a gun is pointed at them?

Fun for the cats if you can keep your finger off the trigger though.
View Quote

True.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#13]

What's even more funner is lighting up a fence where a bunch of feral cats congregate.

Link Posted: 8/6/2023 7:12:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

" A convict with a laser dot on his chest is no longer a part of a crowd."--
Alabama Corrections Officer
View Quote

That's true...
I may have heard a story once about a guy who used one once on two ghetto guys parked outside a female neighbor's house at 3AM...a red dot from an unseen source on the forehead on the passenger really made the driver nervous...they finally left after much wild gesticulating decided to leave her alone...
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Cool. How do you clear a blind corner on a short room off a cramped hallway?
View Quote

Having one mounted at 12:00 on my 10.5", I can say that is is far quicker using the laser when transitioning to shooting on my left side than trying to acquire the red dot with my left eye.  
I struggle trying to shoot left handed, even more so with a flip-to-side that is flipped down.  
When it is dark, I sometimes look through the 3x first (whoops)
Or I sometimes look through the optic lens caps if they are flipped up (whoops)
Or I take a crap ton of time blinking because I'm right handed/right eye dominant and my brain is trying to figure out the whole right eye dominant but trying to look through an optic with my left eye with both eyes open...WTF is going on dude...and what angle should my head be at....do I need a cheek weld?  Blah...

Laser = easy button in that scenario.  

But since this is GD, I'm sure everyone here has transitioning to off hand shots down pat.  I'll just stay lazy over here.  

Link Posted: 8/6/2023 10:46:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I put a laser on a pistol years ago and found it made me a slower and less accurate. MRDS on the other hand are awesome and I put them on everything.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They suck, are slow to acquire and who looks at their own chest to see if a gun is pointed at them?

True.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326845/904CF6E8-16EF-4749-B2C0-8405B82C6072_jpe-2910067.JPG
If you aren't blasting the little bastards when they catch up to the laser how do you win?

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a few and they have their place.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326845/904CF6E8-16EF-4749-B2C0-8405B82C6072_jpe-2910067.JPG

Bang!

My wife made me stop doing that when we had kids.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:44:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a few and they have their place.
View Quote

Are you the shield man on an entry team or just exercising cats?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#21]
One of the things lasers are useful for is as training aids.

They allow a student to SEE the “wobble” and magnification of error as distance increases, caused by unstable grip, poor trigger control, etc.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#22]
The only gun I ever used a visible laser on was a Smith 442 with laser grip.

On that gun, it actually works well if you use it similar to a RDS and bring the dot to your line of sight with consistent presentation instead of the incorrect method of looking for the dot, then moving it to your target.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
30+ years ago there was an article in the newspaper where my neighbor was arrested in the McDonald’s parking lot with bricks of cocaine. A few nights later his house got raided. I could see them ripping up all of the insulation in his attic through the gable vent, I could hear them tossing his woodpile in the basement. I guess they generally ransacked the place.

He never did any jail time beyond a week I believe but a nice guy arrived with a Rolls Royce limo and driver about 3 months later. He was inside my neighbors house for about 3 hours before leaving.

He then ventured into flipping pallets. Pick up trailer loads of cracked pallets, repair them as needed and take them out to resell. The trailer would be stacked just under 16 foot high. He ended up having two workers that helped him with the carpentry repairs on the pallets. Stated he cleared $110k in cash two years in a row doing that. No idea where the money went because he lived in absolute squalor.

Fast forward about 5 years I had this super bright laser pointer and I shined it through his front picture window while he was asleep watching Tv in his chair. Took a bit to wake him up by flipping the red beam past his face. When he did come to, I moved the laser to the center of his chest. He sat for about 5 seconds looking at it before jumping up to turn off all of the lights ad Tv. So I shut off the laser and watched. I was in the shadows but could see his face in the moonlight looking out various windows of his house.

About 10 years later I was bullshitting with him when I bought his dads rifle from him. I came clean about the laser and he was relieved it was me. He lived all that time looking over his shoulder thinking the coke guy was going to come back for him. He eventually ended up dead of a heart attack on the side of the road while picking up firewood.
View Quote

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top