Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/3/2020 2:25:09 PM EDT
With the present view of mistrust of law enforcement officers, why would any one choose that profession?
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
With the present view of mistrust of law enforcement officers, why would any one choose that profession?
View Quote

You like to speed?
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah nah I’m good.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems like it's hard to become one.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:33:27 PM EDT
[#4]
All part of the plan.  When Americans don't want to be LEOs, .Gov will import people from other countries to take those jobs.  The foreigners won't care about your pesky constitutional rights.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Pension and health benefits
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Leftist politicians will start issuing badges, handcuffs and guns to Antifa. They will become the new Cheka/Stasi.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That dental plan tho...
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Won't help if you're dead or in jail.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Pension, health benefits and around here I think they can retire at 52.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I wanted to be a cop growing up

Man Im glad I didnt
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Any sane person would not subject them selves to lack of support from their department?
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#12]
After this passes, there will be some new disaster where Leo and first responders are seen as heros again. The cycle always repeats.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

% of cops that died on the job or ended up in jail for crimes committed while on duty compared to those who retire with a pension?
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That dental plan tho...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That dental plan tho...

As a 10yr cop I’ll be the first to say these aren’t the best outside of NYC types of retirements.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:39:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m glad I’m out.  Enjoyed what I did, but even 5 years ago, it was a different game than it is now.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I considered it when I lived in Austin.

Not anymore.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I might have tin foil hat on too tight but I'm convinced the goal of all this to federalize the Police force in this country. Then a lot of people will apply knowing full well they won't have to do anything but sit back and wait for retirement.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#18]
GD tells me current Officers who have a problem with the job or that smile and wave will be easily replaced. Others will be lining up miles long to work in law-enforcement making $48,000 a year with no pension or healthcare.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I interviewed recently with a department that ended up being so SJW I breathed a sigh of relief when they didn't pick me up.

Getting damn near impossible to find a conservative department. I am applying to one more and that's it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I still want to. Pulled up the testing site and openings yesterday.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Wouldn’t someone look long and hard, before being a cop? Great benefits are not going to be incentive enough for quality people.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's misconception that people in general hate cops. The loudest voice does not speak for the silent majority.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That dental plan tho...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That dental plan tho...

All the above. Peoples fantasies that the end of qualified Immunity (if it happens at all) and the current state of Policing will make people not apply OR quit in mass is just a fantasy. There will be no shortage of applicants where the money and benefits are good. Smaller low paying Departments or Inner City Departments may have a tougher time but they will also meet their quota.

The likeliest outcome of this is an increase in “wave at the crowd” policing. Officers will take their time arriving to critical incidents hoping the suspect gets away to avoid the drama and liability. Sad.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#24]
24+ as a LEO in a major city

For evil to triumph.... good men only need to stand by and do nothing

I’m beat down, tired, feeling unappreciated and stereotyped with little support from the top.... but I’m not broken and I still believe in right and wrong

I’ve lost several friends to gun fire and I was there for a few of them... in their memory and for the guys and gals that do the right thing daily...
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Just like politics, the type of person that needs to be in those positions will be smart enough to avoid them. The power hungry and boot licker types will outnumber the good ones lining up for the job even more so and things will keep getting worse.

ETA - I hope I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I would not do it again.

Majority of the population does not support you.

Agency does not support you.

Government does not support you.

Retirement really isnt that great.

Nah.....would not do again.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I was for a bit. Don't miss it at all typically.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Have several friends in it.  Recruiting is way down.  They're not getting anywhere near the number of applicants they did a few years ago.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I've got 20 in...I'm good.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I wanted to be a cop growing up

Man Im glad I didnt
View Quote

My brother, brother in law, sister in law, father in law, best friend all are cops. I use to think I wanted to go that route as well. Glad I stuck to IT.

My niece's boyfriend wants to get into the FBi but he's using LE as a means to obtain that goal. I wish him luck.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Wouldn’t someone look long and hard, before being a cop? Great benefits are not going to be incentive enough for quality people.
View Quote

People do crappier work for less pay.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I’m beat down, tired, feeling unappreciated and stereotyped with little support from the top.... but I’m not broken and I still believe in right and wrong

I’ve lost several friends to gun fire and I was there for a few of them... in their memory and for the guys and gals that do the right thing daily...
View Quote

I will say that over the last few days I’ve gotten more one finger salutes than normal, but also more passing offers of appreciation and support (and not just rich old white people). I was on a perimeter yesterday in a poor area and had a young black woman stop and thank me,
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I certainly appreciate guys like you.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I interviewed recently with a department that ended up being so SJW I breathed a sigh of relief when they didn't pick me up.

Getting damn near impossible to find a conservative department. I am applying to one more and that's it.
View Quote

Go county.

Generally less BS
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Lowest of the barrel, especially when they try and take qualified immunity like some..... people want.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#36]
I thought the Ferguson / Obama era was the pinnacle.

Glad I'm retired.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I would not do it again.

Majority of the population does not support you.

Agency does not support you.

Government does not support you.

Retirement really isnt that great.

Nah.....would not do again.
View Quote

All valid points. You get crapped on from all sides. All you have for support is your family, friends/coworkers you get along with and God.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
All part of the plan.  When Americans don't want to be LEOs, .Gov will import people from other countries to take those jobs.  The foreigners won't care about your pesky constitutional rights.
View Quote

That wouldn’t work either, I can only imagine the welcome some guy from Pakistan would get policing the trailer parks of Morgan County Tennessee...

They still hang folks up that mountain...
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#39]
In the old days, it was a good way for the unskilled to attain middle class.  Modernly, why bother?  Criminals good, cops bad.  Cards are stacked against you if you're a cop.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#40]
My oldest son has been working towards being a LEO.  After this weekend he is really struggling as to whether to continue down that path or start a new career path.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Daughters boyfriend is trying to get on with Cobb County, GA.   Not sure what his opinion is now.  But he was so serious he removed his nose ring.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Antifa types will.  It will be very bad when that happens.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Leftist politicians will start issuing badges, handcuffs and guns to Antifa. They will become the new Cheka/Stasi.
View Quote
This is what will happen.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#44]
I just retired last year after 23+ years. I was a great job until it wasn't. Would I do it again? Not these days. Oh and about that dental plan, it's not all that good.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Two types of people are drawn to jobs no-one wants to do: Those there for the $$, & those there because they can't get a job doing anything else.
I'm guessing pay won't go up substantially, so....
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:06:53 PM EDT
[#46]
If I were an LEO I'd stay long enough to secure dat LEOSA privilege and minimal pension vesting, and then GTFO.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:12:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's misconception that people in general hate cops. The loudest voice does not speak for the silent majority.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe, but if you’re an inner city cop the majority of the community you serve hate you.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for that 401k contribution and mediocre medical plan for $30/month.

You guys act like cops get millions of dollars during retirement and a health/dental plan that allows a colon cleanse of pure diamonds with gold teeth as a possibility.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Go county.

Generally less BS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go county.

Generally less BS

No BS in at-will sheriffs department?
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No BS in at-will sheriffs department?
View Quote

Uh, yeah there can be a lot...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top