Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#1]
New ? Didn’t they do this in the 70s .

Edit  rename it to  ( 350 BOWTIE ) .
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If they did it right, this fits the world of standard AR parts.

In that context, a straight wall .223 case is basically the biggest cartridge you're going to fit without sacrificing capacity or common parts.

Hopefully, we're looking at something that has much better subsonic terminal ballistics than .300blk. This could be America's 9x39mm.
View Quote
I’m interested in a cartridge with rifle ballistics I can handload without trimming cases, as if it’s a handgun cartridge. Trimming sucks.

If I can form from 223 cases I might be onboard.

Edit: Given it’s modest velocity I’d bet it works well in an SBR and powder coated cast bullets should be workable.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That seems like an awfully small market, but looks like an interesting cartridge.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting...would definitely be popular in areas that only allow straight wall rifle cases for hunting.

Sort of want because reasons...
That seems like an awfully small market, but looks like an interesting cartridge.
Probably the only reason 450 bushmaster is still somewhat populare.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I was looking at the 300 HAM’R before this.  Too many options.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Oh hell yes, I want one right now.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice. It’s a .450 Busmaster lite. Clearly marketed to the straight wall cartridge hunting crowd. I just went all in on a .450 Bushmaster after a few years of research and hem hawing, I can see the appeal of this round.

I think it will be a big hit if it doesn’t have mag troubles and the aftermarket upper companies can crank them out, along with plenty of ammo in the pipeline.

As a practical matter, most all hunting is done 200 yds and less. This round looks to fit that bill perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#7]
So it's a magnum .351 WSL? That could be fun.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I see a new upper build in my future.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Hi capacity lever action round in a tube fed rifle .
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Now, that's a 9mm AR I can get behind.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
The case isn’t rimmed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Meh, I'm not understanding the point of this?

Why are y'all interested in it? I'm more utilitarian though, and it seems other cartridges would do a better job at killing, so?
View Quote
My interest is mainly hog hunting and maybe deer in a standard sized AR rifle. I have a .308 AR but it's a heavy bitch. I don't have any interest in subsonics I just want it to hit hard and have fast follow up shots. Around here the hog shooting can be fast and furious for about 10 seconds then it's over.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Everyone would love to keep 30rds on tap of some hard hitting round like this, a bug advantage over the 450BM. Moving up to an AR10 gets you a lot more ammo options, but that light weight of the AR15 platform makes it so attractive.  Maybe this is finally a workable middle ground.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Historically has this many gun/ammo manufactures flooded the market with this many new calibers?

Doesn’t seem that way.

I’m sure it’s a cool round but a lot of investment for a little advantage.

If you can resize .223 brass without any fire forming it would work.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I want to see what this does on game. Is the bullet diameter legal or meet the minimum requirements for straight wall cartridge areas? Can these be made from .223 brass, or no?
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Historically has this many gun/ammo manufactures flooded the market with this many new calibers?

Doesn’t seem that way.

View Quote
Not saying this will be an unqualified success but it's about as little investment as you could ask for. A barrel swap is probably all that will be required. Maybe brass can be formed from 223, maybe not (I'm going with probably not unless the cartridge is shorter than ot looks). Shoots 357 projectiles.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Give me one in a 94 Trapper.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Interesting...would definitely be popular in areas that only allow straight wall rifle cases for hunting.

View Quote
I know it's dumb to ask what the logic is behind a firearms law, but why would there be a restriction for only straight wall cartridges?
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I know it's dumb to ask what the logic is behind a firearms law, but why would there be a restriction for only straight wall cartridges?  
View Quote
Shorter range in comparison to modern bottle-neck cartridges, in general.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Trying to prevent over traveling.  Dumb shit for sure.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I thought I read somewhere that the 450 Bushmaster was Ruger’s hottest selling caliber.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you look at the terrain of places with those restrictions, it’s usually very FLAT. You’re not shooting a .30-06 in a valley with a solid backstop. You’re shooting in a farm field or grass yard behind your house, maybe from a ground blind. Hopefully from a tree stand, but probably not. The laws are intended so that you’re not shooting a rifle bullet on a ballistic arc into the next county, so everything is pretty much limited to muzzleloader/shotgun slug ballistics. Ohio eased into it by allowing a limited list of obsolete cowboy action cartridges to be used in rifles, but got so much input that they opened it to “all straight wall.”

I’ve been looking to build a .450 bushmaster, but with this .357 getting popular, I may build an AR in it. I also have a Savage axis (started .223) that I put a 300 blackout barrel on, but now I may rebarrel to 357 so I can take a cheap, lightweight rifle hunting on Ohio trips. Im prettymuch over lugging the 870 around and watching it rust away.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure what the reasoning behind it is, but it's probably along the lines of shotgun only deer hunting, can't have all of those dangerous high powered rifle bullets flying through the air. It seems to be a fairly common thing in Midwest states.

Outside of .357 or .44 mag, the only major options are .45-70 and 450 Bushmaster, which could be problematic for recoil sensitive shooters.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:32:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not saying this will be an unqualified success but it's about as little investment as you could ask for. A barrel swap is probably all that will be required. Maybe brass can be formed from 223, maybe not (I'm going with probably not unless the cartridge is shorter than ot looks). Shoots 357 projectiles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn’t seem that way.

That.

Is there a good way to measure the width of the case as pictured, compare it to the length, and cross reference that with the known width of a .223 to get the length of the case and the OAL of the cartridge as shown here?

I don't really do any Photoshop type stuff, but I'd imagine something along those lines would have a good mechanism for measuring things in photos.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yup. Trying to prevent over traveling.  Dumb shit for sure.
View Quote
Jesus.  As if there's a safe cartridge for an unsafe user.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The case isn’t rimmed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The case isn’t rimmed.
It doesn't have to be. Marlin has been pumping out lever actions in the rimless .35 Remington for probably a hundred years.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Good Damn it Winchester.  Just start selling .35 WCF again.

Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Good on Winchester, sounds promising

hopefully this catches on better than most .35s do here in the states.....they don't die but are usually relegated to Cult cartridges
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:39:27 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote
Not Midwest state hunting legal, and not going to work in an AR with PMAGS
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It doesn't have to be. Marlin has been pumping out lever actions in the rimless .35 Remington for probably a hundred years.
View Quote
Exactly,  I don't think this new round will get much traction in the lever guns though as it has no advantage over the .35 rem.

The advantage is that it fits in .223 sized actions like the AR platforms and the mini bolt actions (CZ 527, Zastava Mini Mauser, Howa Mini)
It would also probably work well in a Contender pistol.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I want to see what this does on game. Is the bullet diameter legal or meet the minimum requirements for straight wall cartridge areas? Can these be made from .223 brass, or no?
View Quote
Would meet the requirements for Iowa. straight wall cartridge maximum 1.8" case length shooting .357 or larger caliber bullets.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone know how close this is to .357 AR maximum rimless wildcat that’s been around for a few years? I can’t find shit on google and I’m wondering where the hell im going to find a savage pre-fit barrel before November.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#33]
I find this interesting. I’m in a state that requires straight wall cartridges for deer hunting and at initial look this meets the legal requirements. I welcome the competition, the current rifles that meet this requirement are priced were i can buy a new bolt or lever rifle with optic and still have money in my pocket for less that just buying an upper.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#34]
This looks like an interesting round to me if it functions reliably in an AR. The straight wall should be simple to reload and the brass should last a long time. At subsonic speeds, it would be a reliable and quiet defensive load. Supersonics would be a good medium game cartridge out to 150 yards (+/-).  It has the potential to be a 357 magnum on steroids, and the 357 in a lever action is a respectable round already. I hope the cartridge takes off.

Cartridges like the 450 are still great rounds, but ammo gets heavy and it gets expensive to put really heavy bullets downrange all the time. 35 calibers are a nice balance.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've got a feeling that standard .223 mags are not going to feed right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are the chances that the only thing a standard AR needs to function with this cartridge is a barrel?

I would imagine the standard BCG will work since .223 is the parent case, but what about mags and buffers?
Probably 20rdrs w tilting followers will work, or any mag just nit losded up very much

ETA: internal ribs would have to be removed, of course
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

In that context, a straight wall .223 case is basically the biggest cartridge you're going to fit without sacrificing capacity or common parts.

Hopefully, we're looking at something that has much better subsonic terminal ballistics than .300blk. This could be America's 9x39mm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh, I'm not understanding the point of this?

Why are y'all interested in it? I'm more utilitarian though, and it seems other cartridges would do a better job at killing, so?

Now were talkin
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a way of limiting dangers to people far away as straight walled cases are limited ballistically by their smaller case and less aerodynamic bullets.

Also, it makes huntig more of a challenge, an approach for managing game levels
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#38]
(snickering)
I'm imagining loading a C-Mag with this new(?) cartridge and putting the Upper onto a Full Auto Lower.
Get into a nice and comfortable Prone Position and doing a Mag Dump

I think I'm having too much fun this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Weird seeing two prongs of ammo development/popularity. One for high BC, flat shooting and the opposite.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The old 38-55 is .375 cal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So it's a 38-55?
The old 38-55 is .375 cal.
356 then?
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#41]
I am oddly intrigued.  Borderline aroused.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That.

Is there a good way to measure the width of the case as pictured, compare it to the length, and cross reference that with the known width of a .223 to get the length of the case and the OAL of the cartridge as shown here?

I don't really do any Photoshop type stuff, but I'd imagine something along those lines would have a good mechanism for measuring things in photos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't seem that way.

I'm sure it's a cool round but a lot of investment for a little advantage.

That.

I think it was on The High Road someone did some Photoshop voodoo and extrapolated from the photo the COAL was 1.8", as there was talk of it not fitting magazines if that was the case. I'll see if I can find the link for the thread discussing that. @Bassgasm

ETA: Here it is, third or fourth post down.
https://mdws.forumchitchat.com/post/new-winchester-350-legend-10003012?trail=
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Nice.

I'll get some video.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah- the plastic "lips" might require a little tweaking.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Wonder how this thing would work with subsonic loads? You could make some crazy long solid copper projectiles for this thing, since you won't need much case capacity to push 900-1000fps.

380 grains at 1000fps seems plausible.

You would need one hell of a tight twist rate for that bore though, and I'm not sure how the gas system would work out.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

356 then?
View Quote
.356 is really just a rimmed .358 winchester (.308 win necked up to .35 cal). This new cartridge is the baby brother, .223 necked up to .35cal.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I’m intrigued.

If this out Blackouts the Blackout, it could be pretty cool.
View Quote
Man, this got my attention. I love the .35.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm intrigued.

If this out Blackouts the Blackout, it could be pretty cool.
Same.

I shoot everything from 60 gr to 200 gr in the .355/.356/.358 family already. 300 grain bullets would be interesting.

I started to build a .338 version of this a few years ago but lost interest because the available bullets were too expensive, it just wasn't worth it. .355/.357 doesn't have that problem.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Doesn't seem that way.
View Quote
Its been that way for a long time.

In the 70s, 80s, and 90s it was the super ultra long mega magnum cartridges and the various "varmint" rounds.

in the 2000s it was the super ultra short mega magnum cartridges.

In the 2010s it has been mostly AR-15 and AR-10 cartridges. Thankfully these are actually useful for more than just blowing a whitetail in half from 3 counties over and more people are actually buying them to shoot.

Does anyone lament the lack of popularity of 7mm STW or 300 Weatherby? Me either.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Its been that way for a long time.

In the 70s, 80s, and 90s it was the super ultra long mega magnum cartridges and the various "varmint" rounds.

in the 2000s it was the super ultra short mega magnum cartridges.

In the 2010s it has been mostly AR-15 and AR-10 cartridges. Thankfully these are actually useful for more than just blowing a whitetail in half from 3 counties over and more people are actually buying them to shoot.

Does anyone lament the lack of popularity of 7mm STW or 300 Weatherby? Me either.
View Quote
An elderly gentleman once told me the 7mm Mashburn was the pentacle of cartridges for taking game.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top