BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You’re probably going to get bit if you try and feed my Dutch Shepherd. She’s a picky bitch and isn’t going to eat whatever you try and give her anyway.
View Quote

That's a good dog.
Strangers won't throw poisoned meat over your fence or leave it in your yard hoping to take our your guard dog pre home invasion...
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

^^^^
The "onion" thing can't be true.  I grew up in S Louisiana where EVERYTHING has tons of onions in it.  The dogs got as much table scraps as we did lol.  I don't recall any issues.  Unless it's like the peanut allergy in humans.  No one had even heard of it in the seventies/eighties but now...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dogs will eat cat shit, dead anything and their own puke. A piece of a Big Mac would be the least of my concerns.

^^^^
The "onion" thing can't be true.  I grew up in S Louisiana where EVERYTHING has tons of onions in it.  The dogs got as much table scraps as we did lol.  I don't recall any issues.  Unless it's like the peanut allergy in humans.  No one had even heard of it in the seventies/eighties but now...

Onions are a weird one. In some dogs it can actually kill them...in others a little bit doesn't seem to bother them much. The vet told me that cooking them helps mitigate the effects as well.

Same with grapes, some dogs have required emergency care after one grape, others have reported their lab or other trash eating dog ate tons of them and seemed fine afterwards.

Still not a good idea to feed them intentionally though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn’t be thrilled, especially if they didn’t ask first.

Dog may have allergies. Dog may be in the middle of a training session. You have no idea what’s going on, so best to respect their space and at a minimum ask first.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I wouldnt be mad per say but i would have said no thanks if you asked so certainly wouldn't like that you did it without even asking.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If I see someone sharing food they are already eating with my dog. Not a problem but a little bit outside boundaries.

Trying to get my dog to eat something they aren't eating, and that didn't come out of a dog food container, that's a problem.

On the other hand; leash your dog, don't let it bother people when it's on it's own land. Do both of those, and you don't have to think about the issue ever anyway.
View Quote

Thats the other thing my dogs wouldnt be that close to you when you are eating
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I always have a pocket of dog treats
Owners are pretty quick to tell you if they don't want their dog fed
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:12:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Some real uptight people here.

Why are you letting your dog walk up to a stranger and then getting upset about it?
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:13:16 AM EDT
[#9]
How about the owner controlling his fucking dog so as to not bother other people?  PSGWSP. Owner deserves to clean up puke or diarrhea.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Would I look at the person and think " Oh a kind hearted soul. "  probably, mad wouldn't even cross my mind. I think if a dog owner puts their animals in the position it could happen they should look at themselves not the kind hearted soul willing to share their food.
Id expect my dogs to refuse until the OK to take it.

I understand that's not the norm.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Onions are a weird one. In some dogs it can actually kill them...in others a little bit doesn't seem to bother them much. The vet told me that cooking them helps mitigate the effects as well.

Same with grapes, some dogs have required emergency care after one grape, others have reported their lab or other trash eating dog ate tons of them and seemed fine afterwards.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dogs will eat cat shit, dead anything and their own puke. A piece of a Big Mac would be the least of my concerns.

^^^^

A few years ago I dug into the whole grape/raisin thing when my dog ate a bunch of boxes of raisins. There seems to be very little supporting evidence that it is bad for dogs, just some anonymous anecdotal claims.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A few years ago I dug into the whole grape/raisin thing when my dog ate a bunch of boxes of raisins. There seems to be very little supporting evidence that it is bad for dogs, just some anonymous anecdotal claims.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^^

https://www.gradyvet.com/blog/mystery-solved-why-grapes-are-toxic-to-dogs/

Basically it's a crap shoot based on where the grapes were grown and what species of grape they are.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You're walking by with your golden retriever, I am sitting on the bench facing the river eating a Big Mac.  I am enjoying it.  Dog walks past me sniffing it, I break a piece off without thinking about it and he eats it from my hand.  Are you mad?
View Quote

Yes, nothing should be done to ANY dog without permission. Wouldn’t be enough to yell or anything but I would ask that you not do it.
You don’t walk up and just start petting someones dog either. Or climb a fence to play with one.
My cousin gave our dog a brat and when I told him not to he said, “if I was a dog, I’d want a brat”. I said no shit, dogs want to eat anything and then they start begging.

How about you fuck with your own dog and leave others’ alone?
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No, because i'm not out of my mind. At the same time, if he is on a strict diet due to health concerns or something I'd politely tell them not to.
View Quote

This. Mine seems to be allergic to fish and chicken.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes. Mind your own business. I wouldn’t feed that shit to my dog and you have no right to.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#16]
No.

If I didn't want my dog fed by someone else, I would have it well within my constraints.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd ask if I could give it a tiny bite. I know that some don't feed their dogs human food to keep them trim, which is cool.  Even if the dog runs up to me all friendly out in public, I always ask if it's ok to pet it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 11:33:24 AM EDT
[#18]
No. I have a Lab. He eats deer and chicken shit.

A bite of your sandwich would be a big step up.

Link Posted: 2/12/2023 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#19]
My neighbors regularly feed all my guys Milkbones over the fence.

Sometimes when I put out their evening kibble, they’re like, no thanks we ate out today.

I’m fine with it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My dog's not nice, ain't nobody but me feeding that bastard.
View Quote

Same. Its makes zero sense either. Look at this turd. He is the most protective dog I have ever owned. Our vet is like never seen a lab act the way ours does. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Same. Its makes zero sense either. Look at this turd. He is the most protective dog I have ever owned. Our vet is like never seen a lab act the way ours does. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/264989/F5464C63-F7BC-418A-B376-0B7E85750107_jpe-2708173.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same. Its makes zero sense either. Look at this turd. He is the most protective dog I have ever owned. Our vet is like never seen a lab act the way ours does. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/264989/F5464C63-F7BC-418A-B376-0B7E85750107_jpe-2708173.JPG

I know a yellow lab that is a miserable bastard. It's very out of character for the breed.

This particular one also has terrible manners (bad training) so it makes it worse.

The best blanket description for that dog is "asshole".
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Yes, because one of my dogs has severe allergies and will turn into a giant itchy hive if given the wrong food.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I have one it.   I was at a gun show and was just finishing a hot dog.   I felt a nudge on my left knee looked down and found the big black lab that the guy who ran the gun show owned.   the piece of hot dog was about 1/2 inch long.  I gave the black lab the last piece.   He took  it and with a nod of his head he walked off.

I knew the owner and knew the dog.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#24]
lol..keep your dog away from strangers, better yet leave your dog at home.

America has jumped the shark with dogs.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd be annoyed.  Probably not enough to start shit over it, but definitely annoyed.  

Our dogs don't get people food.  It makes them beg, and I absolutely hate when dogs beg.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I know a yellow lab that is a miserable bastard. It's very out of character for the breed.

This particular one also has terrible manners (bad training) so it makes it worse.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much. Outside of the wife and kids he is a terror. If he is outside his hair is up from head to tail period. According to him someone is tresspassing 24/7.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Mad? Maybe. More likely annoyed. You wouldn't/shouldn't offer food to a stranger's child, why would you do it to a stranger's dog? Some people train their dogs very strictly and build a very precise pack hierarchy with their dogs for very good reasons. Ask before you pet or offer a treat. If the owner politely, or otherwise refuses, accept it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It depends.  I think most dog owners would prefer if you asked first.  If you dog is a four legged garbage disposal it’s no big deal.  But if you dog has a sensitive gut that processes dietary changes into a watery spray of shit, you would probably prefer that they don’t toss food at your dog.
View Quote

LOL mines a Lab/Basset mix, he's a walking disposal unit. I know we are good when the canned sunshine pops off, and only long pig is on the menu.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't ask anyone permission for shit.  I like dogs.  You let it come up and sniff my leg, I'm gonna pet it and share my food.  

If you care that much, you would keep it more than arms length away.   Not my problem.

Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:21:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have one it.   I was at a gun show and was just finishing a hot dog.   I felt a nudge on my left knee looked down and found the big black lab that the guy who ran the gun show owned.   the piece of hot dog was about 1/2 inch long.  I gave the black lab the last piece.   He took  it and with a nod of his head he walked off.

I knew the owner and knew the dog.
View Quote

If you know the owner and the dog that is a different scenario.

My dog has a sensitive stomach. I found out she can not tolerate grain. Anyone that knows would ask before they gave her anything.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You’re probably going to get bit if you try and feed my Dutch Shepherd. She’s a picky bitch and isn’t going to eat whatever you try and give her anyway.
View Quote

That’s funny.  My Dutch is the same way as far as refusing.

She won’t eat anything unless I my wife or my mom gives it to her.  My brother try’s to give her something, she blows out a snort and turns away from him.  He can hand it to me and she’ll take it from me.  Ticks him off every time.

She’s done the same thing to the UPS man and several others who have tried to make friends with her with food.

I guess the trust thing is in their DNA.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#32]
A bit of a Big Mac isn’t going to hurt precious, he snaps up turds and licks his own butt whenever he gets a chance. Then you think it’s cute when he licks your face.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes. Some dogs have food allergies that screw with their ears (one of mine, Rufus, he suffers from it).
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Possibly, someone doing it without my permission is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I would be absolutely fucking pissed. A Big Mac has onions on it and onions are toxic to dogs. If you gave that to my dog she would be shitting blood.

If you want to feed/pat/whatever someone's dog then ask permission.
View Quote

This is the only way..
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I would much rather someone didn't feed either of our dogs anything. We have all natural food we prepare for our dogs.

Caught one of my neighbors giving one of our GSD's part of a Snickers bar once. I asked what were they thinking giving them chocolate. She said she just wanted them to know she was friendly. I asked her politely to please not do that anymore.
A week later I catch her giving our 2 dogs fucking Oreo cookies. Had to get a little more forceful about not giving them junk food.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#37]
story time:
last summer we went to my moms vacation house in florida...while there we visited with some friends who used to live here in Texas i hadn't seen in a long time.
they foster animals that were mistreated....have a couple small birds and and couple small dogs.
i like dogs...most dogs like me. the little one wouldn't come anywhere near me, and was very cautious around my daughters (11-13).
i wasn't having that, and said to myself, i'm gonna get that dog to think i'm alright before i leave.

i'd made bacon wrapped jalepeno poppers and they were quickly disappearing...i found myself at the patio table by the pool out back with a plate with a cheeseburger and a couple poppers, all alone for the time being...
except a little dog very curiously and cautiously sniffing my foot.
i slowly stuck a hand down while not looking at him and felt him give me a sniff - when i slowly tried to touch him, he skittered away.

i took a small piece of bacon off the popper and put it on the ground a few feet away from me......he gave it a sniff and looked like he'd never seen it before, didn't know what it was.
gingerly ate it and sat down.

i broke off another small piece and held it in my hand. he slowly walked to me, sniffed it and again, ate it. this time he let me pet his head briefly, and instead of skittering away, he calmly walked away.

now, fast forward about an hour.....

that little dog comes right up to me while we're all sitting down talking and lets me pet him...
the husband remarks how he hates all guys and can't believe he's letting me pet him.....i said, yeah well, i bet he'll be friends with anyone who gives him some bacon!

the husband got real serious and leaned in to me and in a hushed tone, said, don't tell my wife you did that, she'll be very upset because she thinks the dogs are vegetarian like her.

kept trying to get the birds to whistle dixie but they were obstinate little bastards
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#38]
When we got off the aircraft in the Netherlands the first thing we did was haul ass to the baggage area to find our golden. She'd been in the cargo hold during the nine hour flight, and I was worried about her.

Her kennel was in the middle of the terminal floor, she'd been let out of it and a couple of various Dutchies were giving her water and cuddles. An older man said "Is this your dog? She is so sweet!"

I was kind of shocked at first, but she always loved her public. It was fine.

Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#39]
I dont even have a dog and i would be pissed off that you gave him mcdonalds. That shit is gross bump it up to steak and shake and we're good
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#40]
My dog has food problems, so I would not be happy. She has chronic pancreatitis. One of her hospital bills was approx $6,000.

I have a friend that has a old horse that is missing lots of teeth. She has to eat a slurry. If someone fed her whole apples or carrots (for example) it could cause major problems.

You never know what someone's pet health background is. I do not feed other people's animals without permission. I rarely pet them without permission either.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#41]
It depends on the dog.  My dogs - not so much.  But had a major family break because my stepdaughter fed my brother-in-laws Husky.  He told her not to do it.  She continued, he told her not to do it again - but she was smarter than the rest of us and did it anyway.  The Husky is EXTREMELY food aggressive - and it caused a dog fight.  He knew it was going to happen, I knew it was going to happen - but she thought she was the smartest person in the room.

Now it is so bad that we can barely have guests in the house when the Husky is around.  Some dogs simply should never be fed from the table or hand.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#42]
would not be pleased
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#43]
I wouldn't feed myself a Big Mac.  I'd be pretty pissed if someone tried to poison my dog with one.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Mad ... No

Slightly irritated.... Yes...

I would rather that you didn't feed my dog.
She eats very well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#45]
I wouldn't allow anyone to feed my dog anything I wouldn't eat and I wouldn't eat a Big Mac if you held a gun to my head.
And why in the fuck are you allowing your dog to approach random people in public?
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#46]
They might draw back a nub. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Ask me first.  I'll say OK.  Just do it and fuck you.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#48]
No. But it isn't appropriate without asking and I would suggest to feeding person that asking first is the only 100% acceptable option.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#49]
I prob wouldn’t but some do  . Many times As a treat I’d buy my dogs cheap cheese burgers WOnions and they all loved it . Not so much the pickles .
I’ve always fed them table scraps and bones etc . That’s what they are for . I can’t tell you how many peeps would tell me .., oh you can’t give them
 So n so . It will kill them . My German Shepard ate half a raw turkey and was fine . ( not on purpose )
I think we had ham that Thanksgiving .  
My sons gf gets all stammers .

Course peeps blow their stack over anything these days .

Car doors dents in parking lots etc .
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#50]
My dog does not get human food so yeah I would be pissed.

Page / 3
Top Top