Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#1]
My Mom grew up on a farm in Louisiana. Her favorite 2 lines with me and my older brother were "I'm going to wring your neck" and "You're running around like a chicken with its head off".

Visited my Grandpa's place when we were young tikes and watched Mom take a chicken in each hand and spin them till the heads snapped off and the chickens run around the yard bumping into everything until they were done.

Brother and I finally knew what she meant by those statements.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#2]
While a young punk I had seen my great grandmother grab up a chicken in her yard and snap its head off as if she were cracking a whip. One time I tried it with a flawed technique, broke the neck but the chicken ran around with its head flopping with me giving chase. I ran it toward granny, she threw her apron over it then promptly dispatched it. She scolded me for making the chicken run, said the meat would be tough. The next one was easier but I had grown for a few years before I tried it again.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lay the chicken's head on a log and smash it with a mallet.  Kills them quick and they don't flop and run around without a head.

Or, cut the bottom and top out of a milk jug and fasten it to a tree upside down.  The hole in the now bottom of the jug should only be big enough to get a chicken head through but not beyond that...sort of like a chicken funnel.  You then feed the chicken through the large end and stick his head out of the head hole and cleave his head off with a hatchet or heavy knife.  It won't be able to go anywhere before or after the head chopping, and the blood will drain out the neck for easier cleaning.
View Quote
FIL does it the second way and just uses shears to cut the head off.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wringing a chickens neck was harder than I thought.
View Quote

No, it's not.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#5]
feed it tannerite and shoot it in the stomach with some 5.56
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Killed a few chickens with my parents when I was younger. We used a traffic cones upside down on the side of our shop, cut the head off, and let it drain. Came back a few minutes later and took them out. Was really an easy process.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Sit on your hand until it falls asleep, that way it feels like someone else is doing it.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#8]
meh... I did 40 one Saturday with my grandparents. We just used tree pruners and a 5 gallon bucket to catch the heads and blood. Threw it all in the stock tank for the cat fish afterwards.

My other grandmother just used a hatchet and a stump with two nails in it. She'd kill a chicken and have it cleaned and cooked in an hour for dinner.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP, are you looking for laying hens or meat birds? This will greatly determine what breed to go with however each year I raise about 20 cornish cross chicks and in 8-10 weeks they are full size and ready for the butcher table. They taste great and after the first three weeks, require little effort.

In regards to killing them, I always set up a chopping block and use a hatchet to chop the heads off. Takes one swipe and then I pick them up by the legs and hold them upside down until they stop flapping to allow them to drain out. I then hang them upside down to continue the draining.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about them however I cannot help much in regards to laying hens. A friend of mine has 50 of them so he gives me a dozen or so a week.
View Quote
This.
There is a huge difference and as Fowlguy stated, meat hens only take 8-10 weeks then they are ready for the freezer.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I am not looking for meat birds right now.  We didn't handle ours enough though for them to want to be petted etc.  My kids would love it if a few of them were just as much "pets" as they were for eggs.  So this spring I may harvest a few for meat.  Then get just like 4 chicks and handle them daily.  If we do that we may slowly do this to replace our flock.  I won't be able to cull them after that as my kids would be upset.

I may do some cornish cross for meat but I would need to build another area for chickens.  I let my chickens out of their fenced area around lunch time until they go back at dusk.  The cornish chickens I would just leave them confined to a smaller fenced area until ready to butcher.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#11]
We used a chicken funnel and limb loppers to remove head
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Heck...step on the head, pull the body off.  Not rocket surgery.
View Quote
Yep. My granny showed me how when I was a kid. Not a pleasant experience, but humans eat chickens and I've never plucked and fried, live chicken.

Also, a "killing cone" is an easy thing to make from some sheet metal. Poke them in upside down, grasp protruding head and cut it off with a knife (or whack head with a little club first to stun them before removing the head.

A Ted Nugent quote is in order here:

"If everybody had to kill one of the chickens they eat, the world would be a less violent place."
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I recall hunting on dept wildlife land as a kid in Ohio at one of those sanctioned pen raised pheasant release spots.

To those that have never witnessed such a spectical ... be very thankful for your good fortune.

Anyhow ... I smoked a rooster about 10min into the hunt and stuck it in the pouch of my hunting jacket and continue walking and maybe 10mins later i feel this wierd movement around my stomach and I look down and cannot believe what i fucking see.

Now mind you this is a rooster that I saw fold in mid air after I popped him with my 12ga from maybe 25 yards.

This damn pheasant has its head and neck craned out between the button snaps on my hunting jacket and eyes WIDE open peering out ahead
watching everything I see and where we are headed ! I stop in my tracks and show my huntin buddy and he is cracking up !

He sets down his shotty and walks a few steps over to me to snap its neck and he twists the fucking thing clean off !!

damn bird went from living in a pen the nite before to shot outa the sky with a 12ga to getting a guided tour of a pheasant hunt to decapitated all in 1 morning
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Grandma used to grab them by the feet and whack their head on a trailer hitch next to the coop.  DRT every time.  No fuss.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A couple years back we ended up with a few extra roosters...Black australorps. Mean fuckers. Pecked and  spurred my daughters  so they got voted into the stew pot.  I had a big stainless cleaver and sharpened it on the worksharp until it was hair shaving sharp. Laid the first rooster across a stump and it took three wacks to behead it.

Holy Christ it was like The Shining. Blood everywhere, chicken running around, my kids shrieking with joy (they insisted on watching).  Second bird my aim was off and  and I lobbed off the beak and part of its face. Took about five more strikes to end it. I was covered with blood. The next day I went out to feed my flock and they all stared at me like THEY FUCKING KNEW WHAT I DID.

Now I shoot them through the head with a .22.  Way less mess. Ugh.
View Quote
Sounds like the time someone dropped off a couple of catfish with my dad.  They were still alive and he needed to gut them and cut them up.  He said he hammered a nail through the head and into a board so that he could gut it and skin it.  It didn't kill it and he hammered another nail through and tried to deal with it then.  It flopped around all over the place, flinging blood everywhere while he was gutting it.  He said the inside of the shed looked like a murder scene and he didn't really feel like eating it that night.  He ate them later of course.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Remember ... large birds were the apex predator at one time frame in the evolution of dinosaurs.

Imagine a flying T-Rex
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ffs, it's not rocket surgery. The head doesn't have to come off.  This way is pretty fool proof, and you can pull the head off if it makes you feel better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCNKmdG3M44
View Quote
This

Its better if the head stays on and you cut the jugular to bleed them good.

I'm told blood up in the lungs can taint the meat.......
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#19]
My grandmother could do it like it was nothing, and she was a little old woman, so I guess it comes down to technique and experience.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Attach razor blade boots
Invite your friends to a cock fight
Profit
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Neighbor used to have a big splitting log with two nails sticking out of it. They were close enough together to hold the chickens head while you're holding the feet. Lop head off with hatchet. Voila
View Quote
Same.  Except with a machete.  Granddad used this method his whole life.  
Vee the nails with about a 3/4" gap where they go in the wood.  \ /  
Angle the nails slightly away from you, so when you pull back the head naturally slips down into the groove.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That's exactly how we did it when I was a kid.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ffs, it's not rocket surgery. The head doesn't have to come off.  This way is pretty fool proof, and you can pull the head off if it makes you feel better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCNKmdG3M44
That's exactly how we did it when I was a kid.
Told my wife her 1st one different ways. She chose the broom.
But didn' yank hard enough.
While standing above it looking down.
That bird shot shit up her from the knee to shoulder..
I almost shit myself laughing at her reaction.

I just grab them. Hang them upside down..grab the neck and do my best devo whip it good with a twirl.
You'l feel it pop..one or two rotations,send bird flooping to the ground..
Ymmv
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I literally laughed out loud at you shooting the chicken.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Killing cones are what I use.

Scrap sheetmetal, large opening at the top, small on the bottom just enough to let the bird's head and neck stick through.

You can nip the jugular and let the bird bleed out, no blood spraying about, no mess.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#25]
It’s all in the wrist whatever kind of chicken you’re choking.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#26]
The key is to spin the body in one direction and give the head a quick twist in the opposite direction at the same time. One revolution usually works.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#27]
There are more exotic ways of doing the deed.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Just put a piece of wood behind the head with chicken on ground. Put booth feet on wood on each side of chicken.

Reach down grab both legs and pull...done let it bleed and there ya go
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 6:24:41 AM EDT
[#29]
OP is doing it all wrong.

You have to dance with the chicken first for it to die.

warning: Graphic
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 6:37:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Funnel on a fence post.
View Quote
Yes! This is the easiest way I’ve done it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top