Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

@Third_Rail  did you see the video of the house fall in at Gardiner and later hit the bridge at Corwin Springs?
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Those houses in Gardiner were built way too close to the river, and it was just a matter of time.

Those V-shaped river channels don't have a lot of room for the water to spread out.   Double the volume in the river, and it'll be almost twice as high.  It ain't rocket science.....
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have two co workers with places in RL. One has water in his basement, not sure about the other.

Not sure if this will play for the people without FB but its an amazing video.

https://fb.watch/dEfBwj9AKE/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Flooding is insane right now in Montana.
Less tourists in town this summer, then.

The rain is doing wonders for my place, but some of this is heartbreaking.  A bunch of guys were gone from work today to help family with houses or cabins that were in danger.

I have two co workers with places in RL. One has water in his basement, not sure about the other.

Not sure if this will play for the people without FB but its an amazing video.

https://fb.watch/dEfBwj9AKE/

When I was there in RL drilling water wells .  2 a day.  Water at 16'
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:11:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

@Third_Rail  did you see the video of the house fall in at Gardiner and later hit the bridge at Corwin Springs?
View Quote

I haven't....
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Those houses in Gardiner were built way too close to the river, and it was just a matter of time.

Those V-shaped river channels don't have a lot of room for the water to spread out.   Double the volume in the river, and it'll be almost twice as high.  It ain't rocket science.....
View Quote

I hope it starts to recede soon. Gardiner is surrounded by water and the water main has broken, so they are in a mess. Silver Gate and Cooke City are surrounded by water and isolated from each other.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I didn't! That sounds awful. I hope the folks weren't home for it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Welp...crap. Have reservations at Canyon Campground from June 25th to 30th, gonna have to see what happens.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I didn't! That sounds awful. I hope the folks weren't home for it.
View Quote

You're about to lose the bridge at Point of Rocks. River cut the road in two right at the bridgehead.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You're about to lose the bridge at Point of Rocks. River cut the road in two right at the bridgehead.
View Quote

We're looking at losing a lot of bridges and stretches of road. It's a mess and more water is forecast.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Welp...crap. Have reservations at Canyon Campground from June 25th to 30th, gonna have to see what happens.
View Quote

I'm gonna say that there won't be any campgrounds or hotels open even in the southern loop of the park for weeks, possibly months.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm gonna say that there won't be any campgrounds or hotels open even in the southern loop of the park for weeks, possibly months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the distinct impression that people aren't yet grasping the magnitude of this situation.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#12]
We have an airBnB booked near Cody for the second week in August.  Will be watching this with interest.  If you own property that is affected, put your insurance carrier on notice.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@RikWriter

When is it supposed to crest? I'm hearing 50,000 cfs. My friends in the area are having a hell of a time. I know my little corner of the world in Paradise Valley is a mess. They are concerned about the bridges from Gardiner to Big Timber. (Edit: bridge on hwy 89 at point of rocks cut off and undermined) I'm afraid there Will be more..  Lots of lives and business disrupted by this.  

I just booked my car yesterday for 17 days in paradise valley. I just hope I can drive into the valley in August.
View Quote

There's supposed to be more rain in the next couple of days, though not nearly as heavy.  I think by August, you may be able to get into the Paradise Valley.  Everything is just fucked in Cooke City, Silver Gate and Gardiner, though.  I would be shocked if it's even possible to reach Cooke City or Silver Gate by road for months.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We have res at a Cody campground for 6 days over July 4 holiday. Been looking for another campground on west side after that. Wife said she read Yellowstone was closing for the season! Can anybody confirm? I guess we’ll be making changes in our itinerary.
View Quote

@evofxdwg
Spoke to my friend in Cody.   Did not  sound bad there.  While u are in Cody check out the firearms museam.

Rodeo is a big deal that weekend if u didn’t already know.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We have an airBnB booked near Cody for the second week in August.  Will be watching this with interest.  If you own property that is affected, put your insurance carrier on notice.
View Quote

Cody is fine.  Just don't expect to go beyond Norris Junction in the park, even by August.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The continental divide says no.
View Quote

The continental divide does cross Yellowstone NP, but it seems like the heaviest rain is on the north side which ultimately drains east.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The continental divide does cross Yellowstone NP, but it seems like the heaviest rain is on the north side which ultimately drains east.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The continental divide says no.

The Dutton's and some dynamite can fix that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Will any of this reach the Colorado river basin? Powell and Meade sure could use it.
View Quote

The continental divide runs through Yellowstone.  All the flooding you are seeing here drains into the Yellowstone, which drains to the Missouri, which drains to the Mississippi, which drains to the Gulf of Mexico.  So no, none will reach where all those people built cities out in the desert.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#20]
If it keeps fat, pasty tourists out we all win.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 1:03:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

One things for sure, I damn sure wouldn’t be driving up Firehole Canyon Road with those water levels, just to get video footage. That road is sketchy AF in a couple areas and wayyy down if that road gives way
View All Quotes
Quoted:

One things for sure, I damn sure wouldn’t be driving up Firehole Canyon Road with those water levels, just to get video footage. That road is sketchy AF in a couple areas and wayyy down if that road gives way

IMO, that road is so high up for the majority of it, the river would have to rise to insane, Noah type levels to realistically cause that sort of a worry

I was there last year, along with a number of other parks, and bemoaned the fact that so many of the landscape shots i wanted to take at a number of places were less than spectacular, almost to the point of being worthless, because of how smoky it was. At least the waterfall shots i got were pretty good.  I have a number of the Firehole.  The water level, while not crazy, is significantly higher in that video.

What was more surprising to me was just how flooded out Madison Junction is.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 1:15:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Flying pig rafting in Gardiner us seeming optimistic that they will be back up and running end of June.
Hope that's the case, but after watching the videos..... I'm thinking not
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Wondering if Lake Meade, will get any of that runoff?
View Quote

All this water is headed to the Gulf of Mexico.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have the distinct impression that people aren't yet grasping the magnitude of this situation.
View Quote

100% correct.  I lived year round in Yellowstone Park for 12 years.  All the logistical support for all the lodges are based out of Gardiner.  All the food comes from Gardiner.  All the linen/laundry comes from Gardiner.  That road is gone.  It will not be open again ion weeks, or months.  Then there is the missing stretch of road from Tower to the NE entrance.  I have not seen pics but I have heard there is now a stretch of road gone south of Canyon in Hayden Valley.  The incredibly short roadwork season, combined with all the planning and environmental impact assessments, I doubt those roads will be operational by this time next year.  It is a crazy bad deal.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

100% correct.  I lived year round in Yellowstone Park for 12 years.  All the logistical support for all the lodges are based out of Gardiner.  All the food comes from Gardiner.  All the linen/laundry comes from Gardiner.  That road is gone.  It will not be open again ion weeks, or months.  Then there is the missing stretch of road from Tower to the NE entrance.  I have not seen pics but I have heard there is now a stretch of road gone south of Canyon in Hayden Valley.  The incredibly short roadwork season, combined with all the planning and environmental impact assessments, I doubt those roads will be operational by this time next year.  It is a crazy bad deal.  
View Quote

I've only heard that there was a danger of a washout on the road down by Canyon Junction, not that it had actually been damaged. Haven't heard of anything in the Hayden.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've only heard that there was a danger of a washout on the road down by Canyon Junction, not that it had actually been damaged. Haven't heard of anything in the Hayden.
View Quote

I saw a picture last night that was in Hayden Valley that showed part of the road underwater.  While it's impossible to tell what's going on under the surface, it didn't look nearly like the type of situation that leads to severe erosion like we've seen in the photos/videos from 212 and 89 on the Soda Butte, Lamar and Yellowstone. Can't find that photo now, but it was more of a standing water scenario than a raging torrent.

I saw a picture near the picnic area on Soda Butte creek that made me shake my head because i was eating lunch there with my family about a year ago in the same location.

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I saw a picture last night that was in Hayden Valley that showed part of the road underwater.  While it's impossible to tell what's going on under the surface, it didn't look nearly like the type of situation that leads to severe erosion like we've seen in the photos/videos from 212 and 89 on the Soda Butte, Lamar and Yellowstone. Can't find that photo now, but it was more of a standing water scenario than a raging torrent.

I saw a picture near the picnic area on Soda Butte creek that made me shake my head because i was eating lunch there with my family about a year ago in the same location.

View Quote

Oh yeah, there's definitely flooding all along the river, just no road washouts.  The only problem I'd heard about that road was either a mudslide or rockslide own near Canyon Junction.  I've heard that the NPS is going to reopen the southern loop in something like 5-7 days, but they'll be controlling the number of people they let in that way and there'll be no services whatsoever.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I didn't see the picture you're referring to but that makes sense. There is a section of road in Hayden near the river and its pretty low and not built up on much of a road base. The river is shallow and straight there cause I've seen bison fording it with calves. I could see the river up out of the bank there and washing over that section of road without ripping it apart.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Rock Creek Flood Event in Red Lodge, Montana June 13, 2022

Devastation From Rock Creek Flood Event in Red Lodge, Montana - 4K - 6/14/22
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Almost had a drone to drone midair at 2:53 in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idUuWdbbHv4
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#31]
The little one lane gravel road north out of Mammoth to Gardiner will be getting a workout in the coming months. As much damage as the main road looks to have it will be months if not years before that is passable again.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The little one lane gravel road north out of Mammoth to Gardiner will be getting a workout in the coming months. As much damage as the main road looks to have it will be months if not years before that is passable again.
View Quote
Keep the greenies away and let Alaska construction companies in and new gravel roads would be put in pretty quick.
State of Alaska ain't to bad either.

Will be interesting new channels on the rivers.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Whatever they do, there will need to be a road to Cooke City etc because in the winter it is the only way to get in or out of that area.  The road long the north part of the park is the one open all winter for that reason.  

IT would not surprise me if they build a new road along that old dirt road.  It was, after all, the original entrance road into the park.  Fixing that area along the Gardiner River is going to be a major undertaking.  

As to that house that fell into the river it was originally quite a distance from the river bank.  There is a campground along the river there too.  That has been evacuated too.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#34]
So is there a way to backpack into the park, without going through an "entrance"?

I'd like to get in there while there's almost no people there.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So is there a way to backpack into the park, without going through an "entrance"?

View Quote

Closed means closed.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Backpacking in the rain?
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

hello Lewis and/or Clark
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Whatever they do, there will need to be a road to Cooke City etc because in the winter it is the only way to get in or out of that area.  The road long the north part of the park is the one open all winter for that reason.  

IT would not surprise me if they build a new road along that old dirt road.  It was, after all, the original entrance road into the park.  Fixing that area along the Gardiner River is going to be a major undertaking.  

As to that house that fell into the river it was originally quite a distance from the river bank.  There is a campground along the river there too.  That has been evacuated too.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that the road that goes up to the cell tower now?
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're going to have to wait until they open the east, west and/or south entrances.  Should be between 5 days to a week.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

YNP is basically just a big ass square, there are a number of public roads that go near the square and it’s not like there’s a big fence around it all. That said by the time you could get anywhere of note on foot, they’ll probably have at least a few of the 5 majors entrances open. If you want to see Yellowstone without any people go in late September. The weather is better than summer and if you get a little lucky you can almost have the park to yourself.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

YNP is basically just a big ass square, there are a number of public roads that go near the square and it’s not like there’s a big fence around it all. That said by the time you could get anywhere of note on foot, they’ll probably have at least a few of the 5 majors entrances open. If you want to see Yellowstone without any people go in late September. The weather is better than summer and if you get a little lucky you can almost have the park to yourself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This year you should certainly be able to, since most people who had booked visits will be cancelling them.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m sure you could go backpacking in Gallatin NF and “get lost.”

There aren’t fences around the park, and it’s pretty remote.

It actually seems like it could be a cool adventure, not that I would condone suck destructive lawbreaking.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Is that the road that goes up to the cell tower now?
View Quote

Just search for Old Gardiner Road on google earth. The cell tower road is west of it a few hundred yards
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Serious question, after this event, is most of Montana and Wyoming still in a drought status?
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are quite a few trails that start outside the park boundary. Example would be the Eagle Creek pack trail on the east side.  I haven't looked at the closure orders to see if they affect trails, or just the entrance roads. So maybe it would be OK to backpack in. BUT most of those trails are in creek bottoms and have bridges, so I wouldn't recommend it. There are plenty of other places to go hiking that will be drier.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I’m sure you could go backpacking in Gallatin NF and “get lost.”

There aren’t fences around the park, and it’s pretty remote.

It actually seems like it could be a cool adventure, not that I would condone suck destructive lawbreaking.
View Quote

You could hike down the raft ramp in Gardiner and wade the Gardiner River at the confluence of the Yellowstone. Hump it up and over that hill and walk across that flat to the rescue creek trail parking lot.

They would probably find you twisted up in a treetop against a bridge piling down at Emigrant or Mill Creek.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#47]
We just got back from there.  Totally bananas!  It did rain/snow on us the whole time we were there though.   We flew to SLC and rented an SUV to make the rounds then back.  

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#48]
I just saw it's now snowing in Yellowstone.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Serious question, after this event, is most of Montana and Wyoming still in a drought status?
View Quote

Southern Wyoming is.  I doubt Montana is.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?MT

A lot of the water came in over a week ago and that data is from the 7th.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top