Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:13:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you intimidated by this guy?maybe man up and tell dude something bad might happen if this trend continues?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#2]
"Get your lazy ass out of my office" usually works

I'm one of 2 guys on the shop floor with an office.  Unless you NEED to be in there, stay the hell out of it
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#3]
If you dont lock your computer around here you'll come back to a grown man in a diaper as your desktop wallpaper. Or something equally disturbing.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn fellas. I’ve had jobs that require computers since 1989. I’ve never worked anywhere that suggested, much less required computers to be locked. Do you guys have launch codes or something?

Btw, OP is yours the only computer this clown snoops in? That would seem like a firing offence if somebody isn’t asking him to do it
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Computer security is a thing. Lock it when you’re away.

Rifling through my stuff? I’m talking to HR.

Just sitting at my desk? Not a big deal, it’s not MY desk anyway (I just use it at work).
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I dont know what I would do, because it wouldnt happen. I lock my PC when I leave.

(Ok I dont, but I work at home and my PC locks by itself after 10 minutes. If someone accesses it in those 10 minutes, given I work from home, I have WAY bigger issues than someone accessing my PC....Namely, WHO THE FUCK IS IN MY HOUSE?!)
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I would know my suite mate doesn't have my back and the other guy is trying to find dirt.

And I would act accordingly.

You now have dirt on him.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make up a fake email between you and the boss talking about how you can easily take over Nosey Guy's responsibilities when the fire him on Monday.  
View Quote
I like it.

I would likely draw down on him.    Then again I work from home.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I worked at this engineering company where locking your PC wasn't policy, however if you didn't someone would immediately put goatse up on your screen. That was a pretty effective tool in learning to always lock it when I wasn't around.

Eta: Similar apllied to company vehicles: don't lock them and someone would put bananas in your dash or a black dildo in your visor.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Dykem on a decoy mouse.  A little goes a long way.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:28:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Log off & strengthen your password?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#12]
number one thing they drill into your brain in the hospitals.
log off.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Has anyone suggested locking windows when you leave?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don’t leave my desk without locking computer. EVER!  If I don’t some coworker will send an email from me to vp with “I really really love you”

Windows key - L
View Quote
This ranges from a classified environment to ahole coworkers that would send a reply all or damming postings.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd go wipe my ass and give him the stink palm with my mouse and keyboard.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#16]
The company owns the desk, computer, chair, carpet on the floor, etc.

The computer needs an encrypted card and High level password.  All work is done to and from a database having files only accessible by the particular card.

Anyone with a correct type of card can use the computer to access the database and their files.

Sort of like using a pay phone at a phone booth.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Be well.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#17]
"Lock your workstation" has already been covered repeatedly.

If he leaves his unlocked too, create a black desktop background with "Stay The Fuck Off My Workstation" in big white letters.  Set as background, then lock his workstation so he'll find it when he logs back in.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don’t leave my desk without locking computer. EVER!  If I don’t some coworker will send an email from me to vp with “I really really love you”

Windows key - L
View Quote
Ha I like your coworkers.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Just looking through your stuff on the computer?

I wouldn’t care.

If we’re at the station doing reports you have to lock your computer if you get up to go piss or shit or else someone will run over really quick and send an email from your account. Usually it’s to a supervisor with something like “dear Sgt , I quit. Bye”. Then you have to try to explain
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Step away from your desk.

When he sits down at your desk

Go shit on his chair

Piss on his keyboard

Then go fuck his fat wife.

But that’s just me
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Go shit on his chair

Piss on his keyboard

But that’s just me
View Quote
Or get really kinky and mix those up.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go shit on his chair

Piss on his keyboard

But that’s just me
Aww yeah.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Does nosy bastard lock his workstation when he's away fucking with yours?

Sounds like he needs to return to his own desk one day to find you sitting in it. Tell him good luck figuring out what you did while you were waiting. (you don't have to do anything)

And lock your workstation.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ah, THAT'S the stuff I was thinking of: Dykem!
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#25]
When I found out that one of the techs was sitting at my desk when I wasn't around, I told him to stay the fuck off of my desk.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
hit CTRL+ALt+Del and lock the screen anytime you walk away.
View Quote
[Windows] - L does the same
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
In my industry, if you don't do this you are fired on the spot.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:10:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Damn fellas. I’ve had jobs that require computers since 1989. I’ve never worked anywhere that suggested, much less required computers to be locked. Do you guys have launch codes or something?

Btw, OP is yours the only computer this clown snoops in? That would seem like a firing offence if somebody isn’t asking him to do it
View Quote
Unlike all of the NASA employees on this site, my employer also does not require locking the screens down when you walk away.  My screens do go to sleep after 5 minutes though.  Also, I work in an open floorplan, so technically there are 5 people in the "office" I work in (the snooper is not in my office).  I have heard from our metal shop supervisor that he also does it to his computer from time to time.

I was curious if people would say something like "Go to HR about that shit" or "I'd tell him to Fuck off"  or if they would say something realistic like "Who the fuck sits down at someone else's desk and looks through their computer?"  But NOPE, instead it's "Lock your fucking screen!"
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Sounds like industrial espionage to me.  A) Why hasn't your officemate reported this to you? B) Why hasn't he reported it to management?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#30]
You should screen record when you get up and walk away and see what he's up to.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I don't leave my desk without locking computer. EVER!  If I don't some coworker will send an email from me to vp with "I really really love you"

Windows key - L
View Quote
This. But I work in an office with strict HIPAA guidelines.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You are an idiot for walking away and leaving the PC open.
View Quote
I gotta go with this.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This. But I work in an office with strict HIPAA guidelines.
View Quote
same. My office does this and FERPA.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Lock your damn PC when you walk away, which you should be doing anyway.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:20:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Not one response to confront the guy?

Even though OP wasnt locking his computer, this fuckwad still thought it was ok to continually go through OP's computer.

Sack up and confront the guy. Tell your officemate youre going to do it, so he knows to back you up.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
One of my co-workers told me yesterday that another co-worker, periodically comes to my desk if I'm away, sits down and browses through my computer windows.
This nosey bastards son also works here and his son sent me an instant message yesterday morning asking how to do something in our engineering system.  I explained how then minimized the window.  shortly after that I had to go to our metal shop and when I returned to my desk I noticed that the conversation was open again.  Now if the son had responded to my message, the window would re-open, however there was no response from him.  I thought that was odd and made mention of it to the guy I share an office with when he told me that this other guy periodically comes to my desk, and if I'm not around, he sits down and peruses through my windows.
This guy isn't IT, or my boss.  He's just a co-worker in the engineering team.
I asked if he does it a lot and the guy says "Yeah, pretty often.  Maybe not every day but it's probably almost every day."
What would you do if you were me?
View Quote
I'm assuming this is your desk/PC/Workstation not a communal pc workstation?

Quoted:
View Quote
This is what I do....

You might leave it open one more time and minimize everything open Word and write a nasty message to him.

After you're sure he seen it then start locking it.

Tape one of those bottled Air/Air Horns under the seat, so when he sits it goes off...
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I can literally get written up even fired if I don't lock my computer when I walk away from it.
Also, I might report it to your boss.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I can literally get written up even fired if I don't lock my computer when I walk away from it.
Also, I might report it to your boss.
Quoted:
At Comcast Business you would be written up and/or fired if you walked away from your unlocked computer more than once.
With good reason.
When I worked at Charter (before it was Spectrum) you could get written up for leaving your PC or a Server open and unattended or accessing a PC or Server you had no business accessing.

The IT Nazis set our user profiles so that after 5 mins of activity, it would automatically lock.

We made a game out of trying to catch someone away from their PC, then we'd set something they hate as their background...  One guy was a huge Raiders Fan, so we'd find an Anti-Raiders Meme and set it as his background.  ONe guy we set Obungo pics as a background...

They finally got me and set some anti-gun BS as my BackGround...
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I lock my workstations when I walk away.  Heck, it's policy.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dykem dries in a short amount of time (seconds).

Prussian blue doesn't.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Flop your cock and balls out on the keyboard. Take a pic.  Wait a few days. Show dude the pic.

Or just lock your computer.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:52:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I don't leave my desk without locking computer. EVER!  If I don't some coworker will send an email from me to vp with "I really really love you"

Windows key - L
View Quote
Two co-workers did this to me when I worked for SBC Tel.. They both almost got fired (both bad many years of service). It was a joke, but the recipient (who they thought was "cool"), reported it immediately. They had to fess-up and apologize to me (I told the leadership that there was no apology necessary, as I thought it was funny). They sent him an email that simply said "I'm not wearing pants right now". True story.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Always lock your computer.  Personally I would go challenge the guy regarding his actions, either directly or through management.  Tech companies at least wouldn't tolerate what amounts to sharing accounts, huge security risk.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#44]

Cntrl + alt + del

Lock This Computer

OR

Log Off

How the fuck do you not know this? Are you a Boomer? For fucks sake.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Hate to say it, but...

Quoted:
View Quote
Lesson learned, I hope!

And I'd tell the nosey MF'r off in a big way, too.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
this bears repeating.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#47]
I would definitely not tell anyone about this, as you will look like a fool, or possibly worse if there is a policy to lock it that you are unaware of.  Either way, as an employer, I would tend to believe you are equally dumb for not locking it down.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Prussian blue doesn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Prussian blue doesn't.
I linked the non-drying paste.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#49]
I would probably leave a Microsoft Word document open behind another window on the screen in size 48 font bold [NAME HERE] IS A PIECE OF SHIT
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Get with your boss and see if he is game to play a prank
If so, start working on a document outlining how you are going to kill you boss.
If he sees it, and does nothing, your boss will learn something interesting.
If he sees it and squeals, then your boss can ask him how he found out.
View Quote
Do you like SWAT Raids?
Because this is how you get SWAT Raids.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top