Indeed it is Maxamet Monday.  

https://i.imgur.com/GScqWygh.jpg
View Quote
Not usually into copper but I'm digging it
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 2:01:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WICOUNSEL:

That's always a fun site, but I question some of the methodology and some of the odd results. There are some variables that he makes light of when they are more serious, too much possibility for human error specifically.

M4 appearing that low in the test results begs some key questions about the blade geometry and heat treat of the specimen he used.  That one really stands out for me as it flies in the face of other data and persona experience. S110V too. Bizarre. They state steels, but not the claimed HRC of each.

But, far be it from me to not take the opportunity to selectively use the data to give a big shout out to Elmax! (I think BU requires the use of the exclamation point when you write Elmax!)

Also of note, the performance of CTS-XHP. It's sad Carpenter doesn't want to give the knife industry any love. Maybe that is part of the reason Maxamet isn't more readily available.

Generally I agree with his findings based on experience and reading I have done, but there is just no replacing real life use, which is hard to quantify. Is this the closest approximation? I think one could do better.

Looks like maybe only Rex 121 beats Maxamet for edge retention. Also looks like Maxamet has better corrosion resistance than M4. Hmmmmm....all kinds of interesting stuff to look at.

It is fun Spyderco uses all these steels.
View Quote
It is fun

Sal and Eric are knife dorks too
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 2:05:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By dphill:

I handled one and I didn't dis like it but something just looked off

https://i.imgur.com/fRaJK8l.jpg
View Quote
It's pretty sexy
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I kind of want a 111 fixed blade.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Is that a thing?

Or you mean you are thinking of making one?
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Is that a thing?

Or you mean you are thinking of making one?
View Quote
People have begged Shiro for a fixed blade (not necessarily exactly like a 111, but in their style anyway) and they've kinda brushed it aside.

So yeah I'm thinking of making one.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I really like the 111. Even though it is a big knife on paper, it just doesn't seem that bad in person. kinda like the 0452 or 0920, although those are admittedly still a bit shorter.

I wasn't really sure about the size of the 111 until a kind gentleman let me check one out. Gotta say, is pretty nise.

I am curious now about the F3.  It is an inch shorter, so I was thinking maybe it is like a slight;y shorter 111, but all the pics I see suggest the handle is all different.  I like how relatively slender the 111 is, good ergos. Would I like the F3 size even more? Had I not handled the 111 first I probably would have ended up with a Hati or 95, but now that I have a 111, I like the inset tab lock and the size.  That's why the F3 intrigues me, inch shorter and inset lock instead of frame lock.  maybe I would think it is too small now though...

Maybe someone really nice will buy an F3 and lend it to me to check out
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Justabulletaway:
Pic thread.
Had to flick the Blurple a few times. So smooth.
Brought along a buddy.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/436951/20190624_190612_01_01_jpg-992085.JPG
View Quote
That's a pretty cool picture
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#10]

https://i.imgur.com/KZRzF1n.gif

Dude, you gotta catch up before commenting on shit.  Your thread is moving way faster than you ever do. By the time you comment on something, we are already three topics past what you comment on.
View Quote
This is true
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Do one of you awesome studs have a Shiro F3 that would be willing to share your thoughts?

Pretty please?

OAG gif for attention

https://i.imgur.com/em9KTnr.gif
View Quote
I think Rexbo43 has one.

The F3 is the Liner Lock version of of the F95

The Hati is the F95 but with a CF/Alutex scale.

I love my Hati, carries really well, is smooth as fuck and has a great grind for slicing.

I don't know if there's a thickness difference between the two due to the liner plus scales but it's a easy carry for the size.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By NotUrLawyer:
OK, now I understand all the knife/food pictures.
https://i.imgur.com/oImigAV.jpg
View Quote
Haha.

It's just fun to use my knives
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 12:14:07 PM EDT
[#13]
My current EDC...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#14]
https://i.imgur.com/4UopAHr.jpg
View Quote
It's a stunner. I too was worried the 111 is too big but your comments have me thinking it's not so bad
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
People have begged Shiro for a fixed blade (not necessarily exactly like a 111, but in their style anyway) and they've kinda brushed it aside.

So yeah I'm thinking of making one.
View Quote
That would be a very interesting project
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

I think Rexbo43 has one.

I love my Hati, carries really well, is smooth as fuck and has a great grind for slicing.

I don't know if there's a thickness difference between the two due to the liner plus scales but it's a easy carry for the size.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I think Rexbo43 has one.

Yep. Started looking at a Hati.  That's my usual size. With my other knives I've determined not usually a fan of the mixed scales (ti one side, CF/other other side), so I was looking at the 95.

But after I was able to handle the 111, it just doesn't carry or handle like a 10" IMHO. And I really like the inset tab lock.  Nice uniform exterior. So I started looking at the F3.

Frankly though, even though I would have normally have said the F3 is more my size, will I now think that is small because of my comfort with the 111? I mean, it's not a huge difference size wise, but with more blade, I can cut more (pics below). So is the F3 even worth trying? Plus the scale difference, the 111 is really nice. Different may not be better.

It's a stunner. I too was worried the 111 is too big but your comments have me thinking it's not so bad
If you are nice to me...

And today Valentina earned her keep and made me look like a hero.

Went to a social gathering (take note on how this is done Op) where we were served massive chops.  However, it was a picnic style lunch and they only provided old dull table knives, which didn't cut the chops.

The other people at my table all exclaimed, almost in unison, "whatever shall we do?"

My wife smiled at me knowing it was my moment to shine.

I pulled Valentina from my pocket and said, don't worry, you may borrow my knife.

Valentina made short work of all the chops at the table, with everyone waiting their turn to use her on their 1.5-2" thick massive chops.

Needless to say, she did an exemplary job slicing with ease and made her daddy proud

Link Posted: 6/25/2019 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#17]
JFC take the sticker off, did you wear pants with the tag still on them to this gathering?
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 4:50:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#18]
You’ve been kinda %&*#@ last few pages...

You are right though. I meant to take it off since I plan to use it, unlike the 110 which may do a lot of sitting.

But ran out of time to nicely peel it off. Wiping Valentina down kinda smudged the sticker, so I really do just need to take it off.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm trying to help you present yourself in public in a manner that allows you to respect yourself afterwards.  That's not cunty, it's caring.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 4:58:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#20]
Caring in a %&*#@ way.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 5:04:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: notwen] [#21]
I'm trying to help you present yourself in public in a manner that allows you to respect yourself afterwards.  That's not cunty, it's caring.
View Quote
There's no saving him hoss, he's been roaming with no self-respect for far too long now.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Frontier whiskey. Frontier knife.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125898/20190621_210531_jpg-988374.JPG
View Quote
OK, deets?

I understand this is from Wildertools and is in 5160.

Are you able to share dimensions (in a unit of measurement that is not "hands"), how it was made, why he knows what he is doing? Where is the maker found?

Other tidbits for the group?

Does it have a name? Style?

What is the handle made of?
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By notwen:

There's no saving him hoss, he's been roaming with no self-respect for far too long now.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a week and a half to catch up on, so I'm probably going to spam a lot of posts (posts ain't gonna count themselves). Just a warning.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Was wondering what happened to you and MaxxII.  The audience is probably sick of just hearing from me.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Aggie_Gunner:
My current EDC...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/55187/IMG_4376_jpg-992866.JPG
View Quote
I like that blade shape.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#27]

It’s kinda funny they used my likeness for their logo. I’m not even mad. I like it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#28]
So like this?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Needs potato...
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#30]
OK, deets?

Are you able to share dimensions (in a unit of measurement that is not "hands"), how it was made, why he knows what he is doing? Where is the maker found?

View All Quotes
OK, deets?

Rick Marchand (Wilder Tools) is a fellow tool and die maker and outdoorsman.  He brings a lot of relevant industry and practical knowledge to the table, and has an artistic eye that I do not (whether you're a fan of his style or not may cloud that judgement).  Through discourse over the years I know that he is very concerned with performance and strives to provide impeccable heat treat and useful designs.

This knife was inspired by the Hayes/Boker "Magnum."  He called it a Tanto, but I don't know that I would.  He had planned to keep it because of a small flaw, a line of forge scale that is nearly impossible to detect.  Since no one could really see this "flaw" he decided to put it up for sale, and allowed whomever to purchase it to name it.  I'd been waiting for one of his pieces to become available for some time, so I snatched it up on the condition that our mutual friend and knifemaker Matthew Gregory could name it.  Matt and Rick have been friends far longer than I've even been making knives so I thought he would name it something great like "Dick Pontoon" or "Sack Gnasher."  He named it "Linus."

The blade is 10" long, 1 3/4" tall and 1/4" thick with almost no taper to it.  It is a chopper through and through.  The handle is twine wrapped over wood with a turkshead hand stop, and it's a full tang underneath that.  Given it's proportions and that it's 5160, it's truly a tool for abusive work.  Chopping and batoning and digging at roots or splitting rocks.  Yes, that will of course wear on the edge but things that would cause significant chips or cracks in a higher carbide steel will be minimized and easily sharpened out.

Rick is someone I have the highest respect for when it comes to craftsmanship, even if he's Canadian, Nova Scotia at that.  He's basically the Canadian version of Kentucky hill people.  Tell him I said that.

Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#31]
@kuraki

Is there cable involved in the steel on this one?  Part of the pattern kind of looks like it, but most of it doesn't.   Can you tell us the details?
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:21:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Natron11] [#32]
Well I ordered the Spyderco Mantra 1.
I am excited to get something different in the family.

I have a few bucks to spend on a card and was gonna buy the Kershaw Nura 3.0 or 3.5.
It is a Sinkevich design that can be had for less than $20 and I thought it would be good to throw in my bath kit when I travel.
I am going to Grenada next month and wanted a carry blade but they have laws that prohibit knives.
I really don’t want to be on the show “Locked up Abroad”.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:24:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kuraki] [#33]
Originally Posted By DFARM:
@kuraki

https://i.imgur.com/1UPY13M.jpg

Is there cable involved in the steel on this one?  Part of the pattern kind of looks like it, but most of it doesn't.   Can you tell us the details?
View Quote
That stupid thing is 2 years in the making, born of equal parts spite and self loathing.  Spite, that I have for a certain type of nihonto enthusiast, the smarmy internet know it all autist, I wanted to make a nihonto constructed blade that broke all kinds of "rules" just because, and self loathing because the blade is canister Damascus San mai that I made shortly after getting kicked off forged in fire (where I forged my first and second canister billets ever.)

The canister is made up of 52100 ball bearings, 1084 shot and 4600kc nickel powder.  Sandwiched between the two layers of that is a solid core of Cru Forge V.

The knife is traditionally constructed, with slip fit  copper habaki, seppa, wrought iron tsuba, fuchi and kashira, the tsuba is hickory wrapped in ray skin.

I've yet to drill the pin hole for the tapered pin that will hold everything together while allowing disassembly.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Warm whiskey is like drunk sex. Yeah it's ok but you're really just going through the motions, and may end up puking on the bed.
View Quote
You're just all sorts of doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By DanielT:
View All Quotes
Warm whiskey is like drunk sex. Yeah it's ok but you're really just going through the motions, and may end up puking on the bed.
Eh, I like what I like.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:
I thought for Fixed Blade Friday, I'd highlight my Air Force Survival Knife.
View Quote
That's awesome. Legit use makes a thing pretty too.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#37]
That stupid thing is 2 years in the making, born of equal parts spite and self loathing.  Spite, that I have for a certain type of nihonto enthusiast, the smarmy internet know it all autist, I wanted to make a nihonto constructed blade that broke all kinds of "rules" just because, and self loathing because the blade is canister Damascus San mai that I made shortly after getting kicked off forged in fire (where I forged my first and second canister billets ever.)

The canister is made up of 52100 ball bearings, 1084 shot and 4600kc nickel powder.  Sandwiched between the two layers of that is a solid core of Cru Forge V.

The knife is traditionally constructed, with slip fit  copper habaki, seppa, wrought iron tsuba, fuchi and kashira, the tsuba is hickory wrapped in ray skin.

I've yet to drill the pin hole for the tapered pin that will hold everything together while allowing disassembly.
View Quote
That's awesome.  It looks great.  I can't wait to see it finished.

It must be a cluster of ball bearings that is what I was thinking was cable (snakeskin ish) like.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By DFARM:

That's awesome.  It looks great.  I can't wait to see it finished.

It must be a cluster of ball bearings that is what I was thinking was cable (snakeskin ish) like.
View Quote
The black lobes are bearings, the small black spots are shot. The silver is the nickel powder.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Motherfu...
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Yep. Started looking at a Hati.  That's my usual size. With my other knives I've determined not usually a fan of the mixed scales (ti one side, CF/other other side), so I was looking at the 95.

But after I was able to handle the 111, it just doesn't carry or handle like a 10" IMHO. And I really like the inset tab lock.  Nice uniform exterior. So I started looking at the F3.

Frankly though, even though I would have normally have said the F3 is more my size, will I now think that is small because of my comfort with the 111? I mean, it's not a huge difference size wise, but with more blade, I can cut more (pics below). So is the F3 even worth trying? Plus the scale difference, the 111 is really nice. Different may not be better.

If you are nice to me...

And today Valentina earned her keep and made me look like a hero.

Went to a social gathering (take note on how this is done Op) where we were served massive chops.  However, it was a picnic style lunch and they only provided old dull table knives, which didn't cut the chops.

The other people at my table all exclaimed, almost in unison, "whatever shall we do?"

My wife smiled at me knowing it was my moment to shine.

I pulled Valentina from my pocket and said, don't worry, you may borrow my knife.

Valentina made short work of all the chops at the table, with everyone waiting their turn to use her on their 1.5-2" thick massive chops.

Needless to say, she did an exemplary job slicing with ease and made her daddy proud

https://i.imgur.com/UGsLZGql.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/UkuMS5Sl.jpg
View Quote
Uh huh..

Seems

I don't know the word for it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote
Killer.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Heathens.
View Quote
It's ok, you can mix your Bulleit with your vanilla coke zero and no one will tell you you're wasting it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#43]
The real shit is if you have an s30v blade that isn't chippy, it's probably because it's like 57 RC
View Quote
Or it's actually 8abcdefg. At 52 HRC.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Justabulletaway:

I'll end up with one of those too. Eventually they'll catch up with demand. I thought about putting this Manix blade in a G10 frame.
View Quote
I've pretty tempted too, and making a Native in Maxamet and Blurple.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:17:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Was wondering what happened to you and MaxxII.  The audience is probably sick of just hearing from me.
View Quote
New Orleans for an extended stay - a week of work, and then my wife flew in and we got 5 days of vacation.

I was terrible about taking pictures of knives plus food, even though I went out of my way to make my wife jealous by taking a bunch of pics of the food she was missing.

Fail example:
Attachment Attached File

In my defense, I didn't need a knife for that, and I was more focused on laughing at my wife's impatience on having to wait until her flight before getting to sample it all.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Yeah, who ever made the comment about chipping a PM2 on zip ties was right. Sv30 didn't want to cut plastic tonight.  Lots of sawing to get it through. Smacked it into the metal I was tying and took a little chip out of the edge.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#47]
S35VN FTW

Or maxamet apparently.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:22:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Going to thin the herd of Artisan Cutlery knives. Nothing wrong with them, but I haven't hardly carried them since I bought them, and I haven't even used them to cut anything. I just love my Kwaiken and my Shaman too much. And, I want a Gulso.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#49]

New Orleans for an extended stay - a week of work, and then my wife flew in and we got 5 days of vacation.

I was terrible about taking pictures of knives plus food, even though I went out of my way to make my wife jealous by taking a bunch of pics of the food she was missing.

Fail example:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/123308/IMG_3771_JPG-993696.JPG

In my defense, I didn't need a knife for that, and I was more focused on laughing at my wife's impatience on having to wait until her flight before getting to sample it all.
View Quote
Is that a bug on your plate? Or something from Men in Black?
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:25:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Natron11:
Well I ordered the Spyderco Mantra 1.
I am excited to get something different in the family.

I have a few bucks to spend on a card and was gonna buy the Kershaw Nura 3.0 or 3.5.
It is a Sinkevich design that can be had for less than $20 and I thought it would be good to throw in my bath kit when I travel.
I am going to Grenada next month and wanted a carry blade but they have laws that prohibit knives.
I really don’t want to be on the show “Locked up Abroad”.
View Quote
Will be interested to hear what you think of the Mantra.  Find it at a dealer or ebay in the end?
Page / 3306
Top Top