Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#1]
This guy was 37.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#2]
How did he vote?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:35:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess scrapping converters is serious business now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Part and parcel
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Should have shot the thieves from his window with a rifle, if he had one.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:42:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Not gonna say anything CoC compliant about cat thieves
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I clicked one of those scrapping links on Pg 1.  The average is 79 bucks for the crackhead.  If he’s a smart crackhead there are some cats they say get 5-600 bucks ea.

Good call on the over watching.  I could see focusing on the shit bird with the sawzall and missing a lot.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:02:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How did he vote?
View Quote

Thanks Edge Lord.

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:21:19 AM EDT
[#10]
This State of CA and L.A. are the main cause as a result of their shitty politics, end of story

So, this happened at the intersection of West Pico and South Hope. Its less then 1/4 of a mile from a Level II trauma center. Granted, there is some shit penetrating trauma can't fix. I Worked in that district for 14 years as a Firefighter/Paramedic, I've been elsewhere in the city for the last 7 years(THANK GOD). I got out as things were getting shitty in downtown. Anytime Ive worked overtime in DTLA or ran calls in that area it's been out of control. My wife has said multiple times that she'd rather I work on Skid Row instead of that area of DTLA. At this point I'm blessed to be where I'm at. I'm just waiting for my son to graduate H.S. And... I'm out.

23 years ago I just wanted to be a Fireman and a Paramedic. LA City used to be the place to be. Kick ass fires, the place to be to be "the best" and all the Medical/trauma to be the best Fireman/Paramedic.

Now the good ones on the job are just biding their time to retire.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 7:19:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Wactor got whacked.

Mrs going to be upset when she hears the news, she's a huge General Hospital fan.
Probably hear from the BIL today too, he did a few episodes (bit parts) on that show and no doubt knew the guy.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 7:34:34 AM EDT
[#12]
If you’re confronting intruders on your property prepare for the worst; if you are going out, you are confronting, prepare accordingly. Those are criminals, they don’t care about you.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 7:37:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Catalytic converters should be a 1 for 1. Got to bring one in to get one, and you can’t get any money for one.
View Quote

No more laws.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 7:41:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This State of CA and L.A. are the main cause as a result of their shitty politics, end of story

---snip---

View Quote

/this

Catalytic converter thefts don't take place anywhere else for a reason.

Just like the wild fires and flooding, it's all due to their voting.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#15]
EV thread?
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Same thing happened to a Houston cop a couple of years back. He was at a grocery store , came out to his truck and the thieves were stealing it. He confronted them and got shot. If I recall it was early evening with daylight.
View Quote

Harris County SO but close. Wish he'd have capped those MF's...

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 8:03:29 AM EDT
[#17]
It should be legal to kill thieves that have been caught in the act.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Weapons free on anyone under your truck.
View Quote

Better be on the look out for their watchmen. There the ones that will kill you
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 8:14:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Its not the guy under your truck you have to worry about, its the 3 armed overwatch friends he has with him.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All fucking thieves must fucking die.

Weapons free on anyone under your truck.

Its not the guy under your truck you have to worry about, its the 3 armed overwatch friends he has with him.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Catalytic converters should be a 1 for 1. Got to bring one in to get one, and you can't get any money for one.
View Quote
Wouldn't matter, these are being bought and sold off the grid. We already know more laws aren;t going to do shit except add more aggravation to people who don't commit crime.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It should be legal to kill thieves that have been caught in the act.
View Quote

I'd say it should be legal to shoot anyone stealing $100 of value or more.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Brando got whacked for an automobile related reason. Meanwhile, on the show, he owned Brando’s Garage. Life imitates art sometimes. The wife and all her sisters and mom are big GH fans. I usually watch bits and pieces while surfing Arfcom in the evening. I’d rather she watch this with me in the room than that fucking POS show Gray’s Anatomy. That shit is the epitome of woke TV. I yell at the TV like a psychopath when it’s on. Gotta go out and reload in the garage or face the wrath of looking like a retard yelling at an inanimate television.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#24]
freakin' savages

i did some google street view looking around that area.   didn't seem very upscale.

like one of those typical urban / city areas some developers are trying to gentrify but it ain't quite there yet

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Brando got whacked for an automobile related reason. Meanwhile, on the show, he owned Brando’s Garage. Life imitates art sometimes. The wife and all her sisters and mom are big GH fans. I usually watch bits and pieces while surfing Arfcom in the evening. I’d rather she watch this with me in the room than that fucking POS show Gray’s Anatomy. That shit is the epitome of woke TV. I yell at the TV like a psychopath when it’s on. Gotta go out and reload in the garage or face the wrath of looking like a retard yelling at an inanimate television.
View Quote

Mrs just said Brando was killed by the "Hook".
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#26]
After checking those first page links I may or may not have a couple including a DPF filter getting sold.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Police departments around the country should be doing bait cars/trucks with downward facing claymores that are detonated when the exhaust pipe is cut. Add in thermal equipped volunteers hidden nearby to handle the thieves' overwatch.
View Quote
Nah, hit the buyer network.

"Hey, I have a load of cats, meet me at the dead end by the river at midnight."
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#28]
It’s a huge business,

Just last year, they busted a Cali family selling these to a NJ metal refinery with the stolen goods totaling $600mm. The family pocketed $38mm.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Bring back neck stretching for all thieves. That or loss of hand for first offense
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like he was walking a friend to her car, happened upon these guys, who he, at first, thought were trying to tow a car.  The thieves shot him as he was trying to keep his friend out of harm's way.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Tell them to stop making them out precious metals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Catalytic converters should be a 1 for 1. Got to bring one in to get one, and you can’t get any money for one.

Or tell the shady scrappers to not accept a trunk full from people who look and act shady and they know stole them.

Oh, but that would be against "capitalism" and the virtue signaling principled capitalist conservatives here couldn't have that.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Or tell the shady scrappers to not accept a trunk full from people who look and act shady and they know stole them.

Oh, but that would be against "capitalism" and the virtue signaling principled capitalist conservatives here couldn't have that.
View Quote

The same scrappers are buying stolen copper too, but those guys are nickel and dime by comparison.
Catalytic converters are much more lucrative and require far less time on target, which is why the shit bags going after
Cats are more dangerous.
I don't get why law enforcement doesn't get a hardon for assholes that demonstrate they will actually kill cops.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We can't have laws or any government action that prevents crime. It could be abused. We have to wait until AFTER the crime escalates to where somebody gets killed THEN we can MAYBE do something. But definitely not until after the murder or attempted murder has occurred.

Your catalytic converter is not worth potentially infringing on someone else's freedom. Heck - your teenager daughter's LIFE is not worth potentially infringing on someone else's freedom. Better that innocent people die than we try to make sure animals like this are controlled. If you think otherwise, you hate freedom.

So I've been told.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are they even neccessary these days anyway?

I'm no automotive engineer, but i was alive before they were complusory additions to vehicles. If i recall things correctly, CCs were phased in, via gubment mandate,  to phase out leaded fuels. At the time i heard the special materials inside of CCs bound with lead that passed through. A filter of sorts. This would clog the CC and render the vehicle inoperable. A costly punishment for pouring leaded fuel in the tank.  I believe they also changed filling station pump nozzles to further inhibit using leaded fuels in the newer vehicles. I was a kid at that time, so maybe someone can also shed light here.

I also find that transition hilarious. Lead was once introduced to fuels as a lubricant. It cost more to include it. Later on, when they removed this additive, they charged more for removing it.
That is like charging you more for not adding as much sugar to the cookies you bought. You'd think skipping an ingredient would lower the cost.

I also suspect, seeing how Congress has oversight of industries they legislate, someone in that body made major bank investing in CC manufacture. Injecting their investment in a solution for the "lead problem" before it was going mainline.

I don't think any fuel company has made leaded gasoline in decades. If CCs serve as lead filters, why are they still a thing?
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Catalytic converters should be a 1 for 1. Got to bring one in to get one, and you can't get any money for one.
View Quote

Another fix would be to make it a crime for a recycling business to accept one without proof of ownership of the vehicle that it came from.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:35:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Not a fan of Sharia law, but I must admit that their method of handling thieves has merit.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#37]
I love how the story says he didn’t try to stop them but they shot him anyways.  Why do these idiots think criminals won’t harm you if you don’t resist?  So a criminal has some honor or rules?  The fuck outta here with that “logic.”
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#38]
I am not a "bad ass" by any means.  BUT there is a universal truth, that if you havent learned at this point, you are living with your head in a hole.

That truth:

There is a growing segment of the population that has ZERO disregard for human life. They will callously end it in the commission of petty crime without a second thought.

If you are going to interact, engage, or attempt to get involved in any of these scenarios, you better be gun in hand and absolutely in a "go hard" mind set. There is no other option, if you are getting involved.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#39]
It's CA. They'll probably sue the manufacturer and the victim's family on behalf of the criminals who took the CC. If the manufacturer had not made it so easy to remove and the victim not angrily confronted the poor people who took the CC in exchange for food, none of this would have happened.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not how it works.

These aren't random meth heads going down to a salvage yard with a shopping cart full of cats.

It's full on multinational organizations with guys brining in tractor trailer loads of 'verts, having them stripped out and the melted down to the base precious metals.

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
who?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Jesus christ that website has aids!
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I love how the story says he didn’t try to stop them but they shot him anyways.  Why do these idiots think criminals won’t harm you if you don’t resist?  So a criminal has some honor or rules?  The fuck outta here with that “logic.”
View Quote

Logic being "who wants to catch a murder charge over $20"
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Sounds like he was walking a friend to her car, happened upon these guys, who he, at first, thought were trying to tow a car.  The thieves shot him as he was trying to keep his friend out of harm's way.
View Quote

Wrong place, wrong time. Sad story,
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#45]
He was a friend of my wife’s best friend.  Sounds like he was a decent guy, caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.  

RIP.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Why are they even neccessary these days anyway?

I'm no automotive engineer, but i was alive before they were complusory additions to vehicles. If i recall things correctly, CCs were phased in, via gubment mandate,  to phase out leaded fuels. At the time i heard the special materials inside of CCs bound with lead that passed through. A filter of sorts. This would clog the CC and render the vehicle inoperable. A costly punishment for pouring leaded fuel in the tank.  I believe they also changed filling station pump nozzles to further inhibit using leaded fuels in the newer vehicles. I was a kid at that time, so maybe someone can also shed light here.

I also find that transition hilarious. Lead was once introduced to fuels as a lubricant. It cost more to include it. Later on, when they removed this additive, they charged more for removing it.
That is like charging you more for not adding as much sugar to the cookies you bought. You'd think skipping an ingredient would lower the cost.

I also suspect, seeing how Congress has oversight of industries they legislate, someone in that body made major bank investing in CC manufacture. Injecting their investment in a solution for the "lead problem" before it was going mainline.

I don't think any fuel company has made leaded gasoline in decades. If CCs serve as lead filters, why are they still a thing?
View Quote
Lead was used to "soften" the valve seats when the valves closed and as an anti knock compound. It allowed an even burn in the combustion chamber. The first uleaded cars had terrible knocking problems which led to various ignition system changes to retard the timing when knocking was detected. Cars from the mid 70's to around the mid 80's were dogs as far as preformance goes due to all the "fixes" to the smog equipment. Fuel injection and computers put an end to all that and actually run much better preformance wise, fuel mileage, etc.  
The converter does what the name implies. It take something in the exhaust, carbon monoxide, Nitrogen oxide, or something and it reacts with the chemicals in the converter to neutralize it with water vapor as the byproduct. CCs need to run hot for the reaction to be complete.
Its been many years since I was working on cars but was working in the business when all these changes came about. I'm sure I'm off on many details of the converter as its been years.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Betting that when they find out who did it the perp will have a criminal record dating back to age 12.
View Quote

Yup.

Over on Reddit, they greeting the above with skepticism, in spite of plenty of historical examples.

They blamed poverty, lol.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Now I’m curious how much these shitbirds can get for these things

Must be a lot if it’s worth murdering someone
View Quote

There’s been some enforcement directed against it lately, but there are online “scrappers” who will buy them, in addition to all the scrap yard buyers. Phoenix PD here recently did a big sting that made some arrests from “scrappers” and really reduced thefts all across the state since.

Generally speaking, scrappers are the children of whores too mean and ugly to birth tow truck company owners.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Nah, hit the buyer network.

"Hey, I have a load of cats, meet me at the dead end by the river at midnight."
View Quote

That’s not how it works. Scrap yards are legit businesses and even have online portals.

They just don’t care if they can make $10 off your $2000 loss.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
who?
View Quote

Had to look it up. Dude was on general hospital. No wonder noone knows him.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top