BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:30:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You just saved your marriage and you dont even know it yet.
View Quote

Thank you.

That is my gut feeling.

I will say this...

I'm under no illusions of how my wife's emotions may or may not change over time - she may side with me on this, but then later build some sort of resentment about it with me - I hope to God that doesn't happen, but I'm not going to pretend like that isn't a possibility.

That being said, one thing that will absolutely NOT save my marriage is moving in with my MIL - and that I made very clear to my wife and she seems to respect that.

I can't predict what's going to happen with my marriage (can anyone?), but one thing that I'm positive will absolutely end our marriage is this - moving in with my MIL.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:36:10 AM EDT
[#2]
For the love of all that is holy will people please read the thread before posting!

Fuck!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:02:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's the kicker - she wants to keep the house in her name because her financial advisor said it would be better in the long run for us to inherit it when she does - that this would somehow be a better deal than us buying it and owning it.

Wouldn't that bother anyone else?
View Quote

Aren't direct relatives exempt from IRS gift tax including on real estate? So the financial advisor would pass up a tax free transfer of the title now, and bet that in 20 years there is not some form of inheritance tax, or tax on property capital gains using the cost basis of the original sale (as floated by democrats before), all kinds of things can happen.

That is, if the financial advisor even said that, and this is not just an answer she came up with in advance. The whole thing sounds sketchy, coming up with the idea in the span of 4 weeks and demanding an immediate decision, while having a convenient excuse for why the house has to stay in her name. Sounds like something that may have been thought up in advance for whenever she became a window, and who knows, maybe she foresaw OP's marriage not lasting and had selfish motives
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:06:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For the love of all that is holy will people please read the thread before posting!

Fuck!
View Quote

That’s definitely not how that works here.   Hell I bet most people just skimmed the OP.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:48:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Free house. Deal with it.
View Quote

Nothing is free
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:53:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Pulling a quote because this will likely be lost. Moving in with MIL should have been a no brainer. Thread is way longer than it needed to be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The USA is one of the only countries where family homes aren't universally multigenerational. That's tells you all you need to know about western society.
Pulling a quote because this will likely be lost. Moving in with MIL should have been a no brainer. Thread is way longer than it needed to be.
Moving in with the MIL who can be such a nagging, controlling, person at times, that her deceased husband once seriously considered divorcing her is "no brainer"?
What other "no brainers" are you down with: Two front wars? New Coke? Jar Jar Binks? Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:02:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No, your not the asshole.

Here is how I would approach this and present it to the wife and MIL.

Its only been 4 weeks, your mother needs time to grieve and adjust not compensate for her loss
by having us move in. We all need to take a step back and let things happen in their own time.
Right now you mother is grieving and lonely and needs to get through this phase, we can revisit
this in a year and see if this is still what she wants and if its best for all parties.
View Quote

This. You're not an asshole, but dumb for not just slowing the roll.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:05:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you drive a UPS truck and remember waitresses can be very tough so never fight one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:09:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
WTF is a twin? How do you live in a mattress?
View Quote

I thought the same thing.

OP, I think you have valid concerns.  What's MIL's rush to sell anyway?  That's what I'd be asking.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The fact that the MIL is acting so petulant and emotionally manipulative over this is probably evidence that it wouldn’t have worked out well in the long run.

Shitty situation all around. I feel badly for everyone for different reasons. I don’t think you made the wrong call, though.

Edit: A lot of people, including a lot in this thread, view a home solely through the lens of investment. I disagree; it’s a home for family first, and investment second. Obviously, one should not put themselves in a negative financial position to get a particular house, but at the same time the best home is not necessarily the one that brings the best ROI or is the cheapest. Yes, the MIL’s home would make more sense financially than going off and buying a home with a mortgage, but that’s not the only factor.
View Quote

People that are normally OK sometimes react badly to stress. It can be a problem in that they "burn bridges" doing so and it's hard, if not impossible, to "back up the train" later. Things get said in the heat of the moment that the person feels compelled to support going forward. OP is best to let things cool off, hope the MIL doesn't do anything stupid, and let his wife sort out her feelings.

OP may be fortunate to have been given a window into MIL's personality. He is correct to proceed with extreme caution.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:20:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This was definitely one of my fears.

She's a great person, but from a distance (even if she's only 15 mins away). Living with her is just....I just feel like in the beginning it would be fine, but eventually things would slowly but surely get to be ridiculous and then where do I go? I'm stuck.

It's already enough that the relationship between me and my wife is strained because of her being so distant (even from our own kids) while dealing with her father's illness and death. Introducing her mother into the mix I think would not do us any good.

My wife agrees with a lot of that too.

I think at this point, emotions are way too high given he just passed a month ago - like I said before, this is absolutely the last time right now I wanted to speak up about this, but her mother is in this "I have to do this now - you should sell your house now" mindset and so at that point I felt I had no choice but to speak up (knowing it would hurt her (and my wife by extension because she doesn't want her mom anymore upset than she already is)).
View Quote

Ref the thread where the OP's wife would have the house full of relatives every day and, aside from having to deal with chaos when he came home from work, they would eat up all the food.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Aren't direct relatives exempt from IRS gift tax including on real estate? So the financial advisor would pass up a tax free transfer of the title now, and bet that in 20 years there is not some form of inheritance tax, or tax on property capital gains using the cost basis of the original sale (as floated by democrats before), all kinds of things can happen.

That is, if the financial advisor even said that, and this is not just an answer she came up with in advance. The whole thing sounds sketchy, coming up with the idea in the span of 4 weeks and demanding an immediate decision, while having a convenient excuse for why the house has to stay in her name. Sounds like something that may have been thought up in advance for whenever she became a window, and who knows, maybe she foresaw OP's marriage not lasting and had selfish motives
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the kicker - she wants to keep the house in her name because her financial advisor said it would be better in the long run for us to inherit it when she does - that this would somehow be a better deal than us buying it and owning it.

Wouldn't that bother anyone else?

No family are not exempt, just spouses I believe.

There is a one time lifetime gift tax exemption that can be used potentially, but that might not work for this depending on the other assets at play.  It certainly wouldn't work if MIL wants to retain ownership.

So the advisor would likely advise the woman to put things into a trust instead, since the house isn't the only asset.  Depending on how she does the trust, the tax savings can be substantial, the lifetime gift exemption is saved for future use, MIL can still use her yearly gift allowance, and OP can know that the house goes to him directly down the road.

If MIL wanted to do it right, she would setup an irrevocable trust, OP's wife as trustee.  It would probably be a living trust where as long as MIL still lived, she had the right to benefit from the asset.  Protects everyone.

It doesn't protect from the vagaries of living in a potentially stressful situation with MIL though.  That is perhaps a bigger question.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:29:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Lost me and wife choosing between husband and mother.

There is no choice. Spouse > parents.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#14]
This thread has made me start thinking about stuff.

It's all inevitable.

None of it desirable.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:43:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Way Too long to read.
Fuck all that.
Same house a MIL?
I have nothing COC compliant to say about you if you were to move on with your MIL no matter what all that post has to say.
I stopped reading with “wife is on board”.
Betas beta.  Don’t be a Beta.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:46:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like everyone needs to sit down and have a conversation. You know, like adults.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:49:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I will be the voice of dissent....

I would make that move without a second thought. I actually like my mother in law, but he does get on my nerves on occasion. Even with that, that sort of upward housing move at basically no cost, and being able to care for family with built in child care is a no brainer.
View Quote

My wife and I bought her mom’s house and she lives with us. She doesn’t meddle and we’re all very close. We don’t have young kids and she helps us quite a bit.

They’re Hispanic, so it’s normal for her to live with us and we wouldn’t even consider putting her in a home or having her by herself somewhere else.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I think you're right not rushing into anything. The more someone rushes you into making a snap decision, the less likely they're doing it for benign reasons. However, your MIL is grieving, so whether you acted like an asshole depends a lot on how you said what you said.

That said, I would beware of your MIL selling her house and announcing she plans to move in with you, since you didn't want to move in with her.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:59:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My wife and I bought her mom’s house and she lives with us. She doesn’t meddle and we’re all very close. We don’t have young kids and she helps us quite a bit.

They’re Hispanic, so it’s normal for her to live with us and we wouldn’t even consider putting her in a home or having her by herself somewhere else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would make that move without a second thought. I actually like my mother in law, but he does get on my nerves on occasion. Even with that, that sort of upward housing move at basically no cost, and being able to care for family with built in child care is a no brainer.

It's not an upward housing move, nor is the OP buying his MIL's house: his MIL refuses to give them the house (her decision)...because she places a higher value on having people to control than family harmony/benefits as it relates to the OP.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's not an upward housing move, nor is the OP buying his MIL's house: his MIL refuses to give them the house (her decision)...because she places a higher value on having people to control than family harmony/benefits as it relates to the OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife and I bought her mom's house and she lives with us. She doesn't meddle and we're all very close. We don't have young kids and she helps us quite a bit.

They're Hispanic, so it's normal for her to live with us and we wouldn't even consider putting her in a home or having her by herself somewhere else.

This is pretty much it, though my wife doesn't see it that way (despite the fact that she's seen her mother be controlling with her father). I think my wife is (especially now) partly blinded by her mother's grief, so she's not thinking as rationally about this as I am.

And my wife is grieving her father, so naturally she wants to be close to her mom right now (and why living there is so appealing, especially now).

If they weren't pushing this so hard right now I would have not said a word for months and just let them grieve, but my MIL is going into this "this and this has to happen right now" mindset just 4 weeks after his death.

Now she's upset because she has to sell the house she wanted us to live in - a dream house for us and the kids.

It's funny because I texted my wife earlier - "How would you feel if my Dad died and we moved in with my mom - would you be cool with that? Even if it meant a great house and financial heaven? You'd not at all feel uncomfortable in that living situation?"

She said nothing.

But it doesn't matter right now - I'm the bad guy because somehow her selling the house and having to go live somewhere else is now my fault...
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This is pretty much it, though my wife doesn't see it that way (despite the fact that she's seen her mother be controlling with her father). I think my wife is (especially now) partly blinded by her mother's grief, so she's not thinking as rationally about this as I am.

And my wife is grieving her father, so naturally she wants to be close to her mom right now (and why living there is so appealing, especially now).

If they weren't pushing this so hard right now I would have not said a word for months and just let them grieve, but my MIL is going into this "this and this has to happen right now" mindset just 4 weeks after his death.

Now she's upset because she has to sell the house she wanted us to live in - a dream house for us and the kids.

It's funny because I texted my wife earlier - "How would you feel if my Dad died and we moved in with my mom - would you be cool with that? Even if it meant a great house and financial heaven? You'd not at all feel uncomfortable in that living situation?"

She said nothing.

But it doesn't matter right now - I'm the bad guy because somehow her selling the house and having to go live somewhere else is now my fault...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife and I bought her mom's house and she lives with us. She doesn't meddle and we're all very close. We don't have young kids and she helps us quite a bit.

They're Hispanic, so it's normal for her to live with us and we wouldn't even consider putting her in a home or having her by herself somewhere else.

She said nothing.

"Now she's upset because she has to sell the house she wanted us to live in - a dream house for us and the kids."

It's her house. It's her decision to sell or not. "She has to" is code for blaming you for her decision.
If by "us" she means you and your wife and your kids and not her, then she lying (based on what you posted in this thread).
If by "us" she means herself+you+your wife+kids, then she's still lying because she could just deed/trust the house to you.

You seem to value being in charge of your life, making decisions for you and your family's happiness, and your MIL does not support that because it conflicts with her goals of being in charge of your family's life.

You were probably a much nicer person in this situation than I would have been.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:16:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

"Now she's upset because she has to sell the house she wanted us to live in - a dream house for us and the kids."

It's her house. It's her decision to sell or not. "She has to" is code for blaming you for her decision.
If by "us" she means you and your wife and your kids and not her, then she lying (based on what you posted in this thread).
If by "us" she means herself+you+your wife+kids, then she's still lying because she could just deed/trust the house to you.

You seem to value being in charge of your life, making decisions for you and your family's happiness, and your MIL does not support that because it conflicts with her goals of being in charge of your family's life.

You were probably a much nicer person in this situation than I would have been.
View Quote

Exactly - whether she stays in that house or sells it - that is HER decision - not mine. I didn't cause her husband's death and though I have tremendous sympathy for her and the realization that she's really going to be living alone now (not with my wife and I and her granddaughters), I don't think it's fair to make me feel like shit because her life plan doesn't match mine.

What really bothers me is that she's playing the guilt trip game with my wife now and my wife is unsure of her own feelings (despite the fact that she says she agrees with a lot of what I have to say - she is still disappointed this isn't happening).

It's easy for her - it's her mom - not mine.

I'm having a real hard time right now not getting even more upset about this.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Pulling a quote because this will likely be lost.

Moving in with MIL should have been a no brainer.

Thread is way longer than it needed to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The USA is one of the only countries where family homes aren't universally multigenerational. That's tells you all you need to know about western society.

Pulling a quote because this will likely be lost.

Moving in with MIL should have been a no brainer.

Thread is way longer than it needed to be.
Moral of the story: be more like Africa.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
People in other parts of the world usually live with multiple generations in one house because they're poor.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I was in the military and moved my wife and twin boys to our "retirement house" about 8 months before I retired from the military.  About 4 months before I retired my wife and her brother decided to move her mom in with my family...  So I know the pain here.

All that being said it really comes down to the relationship between the MIL and your family.  My MIL doesn't parent our boys.  She stays out of that.  About the only benefit we have is a live in babysitter.  Besides some annoying mannerisms, it isn't too bad of a set up.

At one point before the MIL moved in with us my dad lived with us too.  He, on the other hand, was a completely different story.  Giant pain in the ass in about every manner.  To the point communications were essentially through passive aggressive notes.

Anyhow, this really comes down to who is living with you.  Will she live in the basement all the time?  If so, not a huge deal as you won't see her much.  Is she a giant bitch already?  If she is, living in the same house sure as hell won't help that...  Will you be able to live with her to benefit the family's overall situation and improved future?  Tough decision for sure.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Yea I don't know the lady but plenty of places in the world have multi generational living and their marriages work.

It sounds like you really picked this to stand your ground despite all the positives.

Does she interfere with your marriage now?

Is she really that bad of a person?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I probably wouldnt do it. But I think the biggest issue here is that you are moving in with her and shes not moving in with you. There is a HUGE difference in the grand scheme of things.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#28]
You were ABSOLUTELY 100% ASSHOLE with no doubt.

It does not mean you were wrong.

But the rapid timing of the choose me or mom ultimatum was pure asshole.

A more skilled approach, like

Hey, this is a crazy time for everyone right now.  This is not the time to be moving, adding more sudden change, putting the added stress of packing and stuff on our backs right now.    Let’s get through the funeral, back into our routine without him, adjust to how things are, let the kids get back into their routine, and then let’s see how and what we are going to do.  That’ll give us time to look into schools, other family members to adjust, give her time to think about if she made a panic offer or it’s what she really wants.

Would have left things with a lot less splash back.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Not reading the thread, but based on her response to your wife in the OP, you made the right decision.  She sounds like a real PITA.

My suggestion is to make a compromise with her.  Tell her that you'll move in, providing she promises to die within the next 2 years

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#30]
In todays financial climate i woulda sucked it up and moved in.
Does it have a basement area for a man cave?
That would of been my retreat.
Big screen tv
Refrigerator
Door to walk outside and piss the used beer away.
Couch to sleep on.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You were ABSOLUTELY 100% ASSHOLE with no doubt.

It does not mean you were wrong.

But the rapid timing of the choose me or mom ultimatum was pure asshole.

A more skilled approach, like

Hey, this is a crazy time for everyone right now.  This is not the time to be moving, adding more sudden change, putting the added stress of packing and stuff on our backs right now.    Let's get through the funeral, back into our routine without him, adjust to how things are, let the kids get back into their routine, and then let's see how and what we are going to do.  That'll give us time to look into schools, other family members to adjust, give her time to think about if she made a panic offer or it's what she really wants.

Would have left things with a lot less splash back.
View Quote

I did.

The initial conversation was "let's not talk about this right now." And that worked for about 5 days.

Then this past Friday my wife is with her mother and brother speaking with a financial analyst about her money and what not and I start getting a flurry of texts saying that her mom wants to do this now and we should sell our house now."

That's when I went from "I'm going to just table this" to "now I have to say something."

And believe me, this is NOT the time to talk about this - it absolutely is way too soon, but it was being pushed whether I wanted to deal with it or not. It was either me speak up and be honest or just ignore my own thoughts and go with this just to make everyone else happy.

I actually didn't even tell my wife to go tell her mother before both of us really had time to talk more about it, but the very next morning she drove over and told her.

So at this point, it's done.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
It is... until you do it.

I used to really like my MIL and we've been living in her house since 2011. It did afford us to save up for our wedding, raise our son without my wife working as well as her to take a year off work when her friend was dying of cancer, and also it is nice having a built-in sitter, and it's great for her because I take care of all the house maintenance. So yes, it has it's upsides.

But lately she has been getting on my nerves about how I choose to discipline my son (9). She thinks I am being too hard on him, and I have to remind her time and again that he is *our* son, not hers, and we will punish him as we see fit. Yesterday for example, I told him to turn off the TV and go outside after he sat in the house most of the day and it was beautiful out, and he started getting an attitude, so I took away the TV for the rest of the day. She butted in and said that wasn't appropriate, and I told her again that *I* decide what is an appropriate punishment.

Other than that, it has been ok, she minds her own business most of the time, but it really gets under my skin when she tries to tell me how to raise my kid.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:42:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I couldn't read all 8 pages...I had a long Monday

Anywho, don't do it....

Seems the mother already has a hold on the daughter - where it's' gonna get worse once she's under the same roof as you all.

The scary part is, you won't know until you move in with her. One of my relatives, he (and his now wife) had their mom live with them and it was horrible. Simple things like her sitting in his recliner would set him off. She's very rude, controlling and "know it all". Even upon her moving out years ago, she spends most of her time at their house (at 60, comes of night shift as a nurse, to "watch" their two kids). She is very critical of them and how they run their house and I had to talk to her several times to tone it down cuz he was literally about to cut her out of their life...but I guess they love the free daycare over her annoying persona.

Me?

I've had my mom live with me on/off over the years where it's been a headache. Mind you "she lives with me, I don't live with her...." in other words, she's dependent on me. I have no privacy and she is a very un motivated person and depends on me to be her entertainment, errand girl, etc. Then, wants to get mad if I (or my sis-in-law) turn on music, have people over, etc. Then, she wastes food, etc. I could go on and on, where I'm trying to be a compassionate human and care for her, but she's a fucking prima donna. Just like growing up, what she wanted (my dad) was always gonna be priority over her kids...same shit now.

I got tons of more stories about her controlling and shitty ways.

HEY, I GOT A GREAT IDEA!!!!

To meet your wife half-way and give it a "try", don't sell your place...rent it out (ETA: and put your stuff in storage) and move in with the mother....give it a year or so and if it doesn't work out, then you still have your place to go back to.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:54:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes, you are.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:29:04 PM EDT
[#35]
You married your wife, not her mother.  

No way would I expect my wife to live with one of my parents and she will not expect it either.

The borrower is slave to the lender as the saying goes but I sure ain't having the lender living in my house with me.

The potential guilt trip of " I gave you a house" would get old real, real quick.

Healthy boundaries have been drawn regardless if it is understood now or will ever be.

I would not be concerned with the MIL ever getting over it but, very concerned with the wife understanding it.  

Six months to a year needs to pass before she makes any big decisions but....
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I guess it's my turn to do one of these...

My father-in-law passed away 4 weeks ago and now my mother-in-law wants us to move in with her. My wife is onboard - I am not.

We (my wife and I are both 39) currently live in a twin (have so since 2015) and our goal is to find a single family home with some more yard space for our two girls (3 and 6) and our dog. We actually love our twin - it's easy to take care of and we have everything set up the way we want it. We also have great neighbors and the neighborhood itself is great. We still want a single family, but are perfectly content waiting until we either A.) Have more money/equity in our current home and/or B.) The right opportunity presents itself. And here lies the problem - that opportunity (in my wife and mother-in-law's mind) has now presented itself...

Her parents have always talked about us buying their house one day because they know that's our goal - a single family. And the market has been terrible for buyers so us buying their house (to them) would be a no brainer. It's a gorgeous large single family home with a big yard in an even nicer neighborhood. 3 car garage and house is completely turn-key - it's a gorgeous property. The best part is that we would have no mortgage because it would basically be gifted to us (yes, I know there are taxes involved in that process). All of that is a no-brainer, right? Well, it is to my wife and MIL.

4 weeks ago, my father-in-law passed away at 73 - he beat Leukemia with a stem-cell transplant, but it weakened him so badly that during the stem-cell recovery, an infection caused him to go down hill and he never recovered.

We're all devastated (he was a great man). And within days of his passing my MIL tells my wife she wants to sell the house, that is, unless we want to take it, provided she lives downstairs (they have a suite downstairs).

For a lot of reasons, it's a great idea - financially it's a no-brainer and we'd have a single family house in a dream neighborhood and the girls would have space, our dog, etc - we'd even have a babysitter there 24/7 for the girls.

For a long time, I thought "Yes, this will be great."

Now that it's here I've realized I cannot live in the same house as my mother-in-law - our marriage will now no longer be the two of us, but now my myself, my wife, and her mother. I don't think I REALLY thought about how that would change our family dynamic until now - when it's here and a decision needs to be made. Even with my MIL living downstairs, the dynamic that currently exists between my wife and children - it will be forever changed with her mother living in the same house.

I've always been somebody who says Yes because I want to please people and not hurt peoples feelings, but this is a hill I am willing to die on - I will not sacrifice my own happiness just to make my wife and more importantly my now widowed MIL feel better after losing my FIL.

My wife is really upset because she says I'm making her choose between her husband and her mother - I lost my cool when she said that and said, "So, who's it going to be - me or your mother?!"

What really bothers me is that this is the last thing I wanted to speak up about literally 4 weeks after her Dad died - everyone should be focusing on grieving. The problem is that her mom is pushing the shit out of this (party because I think she's super depressed and lonely and is thinking irrationally because of just losing her husband). The last thing I wanted to do is tell me wife "No" right now - just weeks after her Dad died - she has enough on her mind. But two days ago, my MIL told me wife (who told me) that we "should sell her house now because it's a good time to sell" - that's when I lost it and said (in my head) now is the time to speak up about this.

I will not (no matter how great the house is or how great it would be financially) completely alter my family dynamic and my own sanity by doing this. None of that is more important to me than my wife and kids and I refuse to change my life and our family dynamic because they think it's a good move.

Am I the asshole?

----------------------------------

UPDATE:

My wife spoke to her mother a little while ago and told her how I felt about it.

She's pissed and said the house is now off the table - she's selling and will find someplace to live. She was real short with my wife and didn't say a word when she left her house. Just said, "Fine - leave."

She was the one who forced a decision to be made less than 4 weeks after my FIL's death - I spoke up (for probably one of the few times in my life ever) and said I cannot do it - certainly not now.

But now I'm a huge asshole.

View Quote

Any updates @wayfaerer320
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You're in a tough spot.  Everyone is emotional, panicked, and anxious.  

I could not under any circumstances live with my MIL nor could I have her raise my kids.
View Quote

There you go, family is family but living with your mother-in-law is a no from me. Period.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#39]
This is called a no win scenario. That being said you have to maneuver yourself so you aren’t giving ultimatums.

It sounds like MIL maybe have been catered to by her late husband, perhaps her entire life. She isn’t use to not getting her way and she can’t handle it.

A normal person with empathy and self awareness would never attempt force this type living arrangement out of anything other than desperation. MIL is either a pampered baby use to getting her own way or so emotionally desperate (but not financially in a bind) that she couldn’t look at this “offer” objectively.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Eh, I’m 2 years in living with my inlaws and I make a fantastic living. They’re great folks, but our house will be built by the end of Sept and I can’t wait to get out.

There isn’t even anything specific other than the grandma in law that I want to be away from.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thank you.

That is my gut feeling.

I will say this...

I'm under no illusions of how my wife's emotions may or may not change over time - she may side with me on this, but then later build some sort of resentment about it with me - I hope to God that doesn't happen, but I'm not going to pretend like that isn't a possibility.

That being said, one thing that will absolutely NOT save my marriage is moving in with my MIL - and that I made very clear to my wife and she seems to respect that.

I can't predict what's going to happen with my marriage (can anyone?), but one thing that I'm positive will absolutely end our marriage is this - moving in with my MIL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

That is my gut feeling.

I will say this...

Due to the recent death you kind of have to be the villain (just for saying no) of this story. The MIL brought this on herself when she tried to leverage you/emotionally manipulate your wife and you into the move. Doesn’t even mean she is evil per se just selfish and or emotionally desperate.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Didn't read. Your screwed should have stayed single. She'll lose her mind and royally screw you with a divorce.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#43]
I think a delay tactic (so you could have reflected more on this) would have been the way to go. Too late now, I guess. What I was going to say, is that some more reflection would be good. Every in-law situation is different, but I really couldn't take mine for too much at a time. Life-long grifter, alcoholic, and borderline unhinged at times. Many years later, as she fell into an acute respiratory health issue I thought and prayed on it, and realized that having her live with us wouldn't be too awful. There'd be no expectations of her, and she can be a hoot when she gets going. Unfortunately, she passed as a result of that illness, so didn't get to go that route.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thank you.

That is my gut feeling.

I will say this...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

That is my gut feeling.

I will say this...

100% man, sit down with your wife and tell her WHY you feel you (as a family) can’t do this.

I went through something very similar. Lost my father in 2022 (we were already living with in laws). My dad told my mother “if this turns out bad, sell Nate the house for 1/2 value and that’s his inheritance”. I thought hard about it, but the week before he passed, I walked through the house getting some tunes for my mother and I knew I couldn’t do it.

I sat my mom and wife down and told them. Nearly 2 years later; Our house is almost built on 4 acres. My mother will sell her house and move onto our land (we will sell her some of our land) and she will build. She’ll literally build next door, so it wasn’t to stay away from her, it was more that the house was Daddy’s and I couldn’t bring myself to live in it.

They both understood (and I walked away from 4.5 acres and a gorgeous house worth a lot of $$).
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Super red flag that MIL wanted to make all these big changes RIGHT NOW.

4 weeks after FIL's death is way too soon to be making financial or emotional decisions of that magnitude.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Super red flag that MIL wanted to make all these big changes RIGHT NOW.

4 weeks after FIL's death is way too soon to be making financial or emotional decisions of that magnitude.
View Quote

OP also has a BIL involved as well.

too many people with a hand in the pie.
this is a gasoline fire set to explode.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#47]
I can see your point, but it may be very short sighted.    

The main thing you have to realize in this situation is it’s not all about You.     As a Father, as a husband, your needs are secondary or tertiary.  

Yeah, that sucks sometimes, but that’s what being a dad is all about.  

That said, I completely understand your revulsion to that arrangement.  

Time will tell if it was the right call.    Nobody can predict the future.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That’s definitely not how that works here.   Hell I bet most people just skimmed the OP.
View Quote

You don't have to be a weather man to know which way the wind blows.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Not the Asshole.

I would live under a bridge in a cardboard box eating out of dumpsters before moving in either with my mother or mother in law, now deceased.

And I'm female.

If you move in there it will still be "her house", not yours. The very fact that she is pushing this hard now and sulking about you not doing it is a huge red flag that says you SHOULD NOT DO IT.

She is going to go through a lot adjusting to her husbands death but it is actually a growth opportunity for her. That she immediately wants to cling on to someone else to be dependent on is a red flag as well, IMO.

CG
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My MIL moved in with my (then) wife and I and it destroyed our marriage.   It completely changes the dynamic in your home and not for the better.  You are NOT the problem.
View Quote

It takes 2 people to destroy a marriage.

The wife and her mother.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top