Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2024 9:08:48 AM EDT
Ok so I’ve been on Workmen’s Comp. due to foot injury since last July Getting paid twice a month and seeing the doctor everything’s going well but I just found out that the company which is 25 years old is being bought out by a another company….do I have anything to worry about?

P.S I have not contacted a lawyer yet.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 9:29:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flcracker] [#1]
Not sure about NV, but in FL worker's comp insurance is regulated by the State. Once you're in the benefits payout system the employer has nothing to do with it.

You could reach out to these folks for a more informed answer.

State of Nevada Workers' Compensation Office
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By flcracker:
Not sure about NV, but in FL worker's comp insurance is regulated by the State. Once you're in the benefits payout system the employer has nothing to do with it.

You could reach out to these folks for a more informed answer.

State of Nevada Workers' Compensation Office
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 9:42:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#3]
Depends on if the new company wants to try to see if you can be put back to work and to try and close the claim. WC doesn't tend to mean forever in most companies eyes and just because the company you work for let it run for almost a year doesn't mean that the new one that bought it isn't going to push for a resolution. If you aren't working, you are dead weight to them and a liability, nothing more.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
Depends on if the new company wants to try to see if you can be put back to work and to try and close the claim. WC doesn't tend to mean forever in most companies eyes and just because the company you work for let it run for almost a year doesn't mean that the new one that bought it isn't going to push for a resolution. If you aren't working, you are dead weight to them and a liability, nothing more.
View Quote

I understand, my right foot got crushed by a 75# bock of cast steel & have had 2 reconstructive surgeries so far I’m not milking it one bit.
Thank
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:13:06 AM EDT
[#5]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv43UsG6fhY

Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:13:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BigPapaColt:

I understand, my right foot got crushed by a 75# bock of cast steel & have had 2 reconstructive surgeries so far I’m not milking it one bit.
Thank
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thank

I'm not saying you are but new owners of companies will usually focus on assets and liabilities on both the hard [physical assets] and soft assets. [employees] As long as you can show you are following all the Dr recommended stuff, you should be fine as long as they are documented. However, don't be surprised if there is an increased amount of attention placed on you for awhile.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:29:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigPapaColt] [#7]

I'm not saying you are but new owners of companies will usually focus on assets and liabilities on both the hard [physical assets] and soft assets. [employees] As long as you can show you are following all the Dr recommended stuff, you should be fine as long as they are documented. However, don't be surprised if there is an increased amount of attention placed on you for awhile.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thank

You are correct I’ve been under Surveillance,  I’m doing everything by the book so no worries there 👍🏻
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 11:16:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sundowner08L] [#8]
No.  The obligation to pay WC is technically a joint obligation between your employer and its insurer, but practically it is the sole obligation of the insurer.  WC policies are claims made policies, so that once you filed a claim (you are certain you did, aren't you?) you and that insurer are wedded for the life of the claim.  Nothing your employer could do would change that relationship.  Some states have guarantee funds so that even if your employer's insurer went out of business, you would still be paid your WCC.

That is not to say you are guaranteed your same employment, or any employment, upon your return to work regardless of whether the company is sold.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Sundowner08L:
No.  The obligation to pay WC is technically a joint obligation between your employer and its insurer, but practically it is the sole obligation of the insurer.  WC policies are claims made policies, so that once you filed a claim (you are certain you did, aren't you?) you and that insurer are wedded for the life of the claim.  Nothing your employer could do would change that relationship.  Some states have guarantee funds so that even if your employer's insurer went out of business, you would still be paid your WCC.

That is not to say you are guaranteed your same employment, or any employment, upon your return to work regardless of whether the company is sold.
View Quote

Thank & yes I have a claim, and it’s from a very well known and quality WC insurance provider here in Northern Nevada.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#10]
If the new company is “Sedgwick “ they would prefer you die to them paying to fix any medical injuries.

Link Posted: 6/21/2024 12:05:55 AM EDT
[#11]
No, the work comp insurance is who pays you the benefits. Doesn't matter if your employer gets bought out.
Top Top