Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2020 4:01:33 PM EDT
I was just on Amazon looking at resupplying some batteries. AA, CR123, CR2032. I was about to buy a fair amount and then glanced at some reviews.

Keep in mind these were Surefire,, Energizer Lithium and other name brands.

Though they had thousands of positive reviews, in almost all cases the most recent reviews were a disaster. Batteries in cheap weird packaging (not what's pictured) that were dead or nearly dead. Battery reviews with pics of what was sent v. the legit name brand that were advertised and they were clearly knock offs. Batteries actually from legit brands that were old lot and mostly dead.

Where do you guys get your batteries and how do you determine the quality of them?

Is there a date code somewhere? Is there a way to avoid counterfeits? For the quantities I'd like, I don't know of an economical way to source them locally with the exception of AA.

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 7/21/2020 4:05:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Spend that extra $2 buying it in person?

My faith in Amazon has faded quite a bit lately
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My faith in Amazon has faded quite a bit lately
View Quote

It’s been almost nonexistent w their third party sellers for quite a while now in particular
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#3]
the way to tell if batteries are fresh or not is to put them in a glass of water.  If they float, they're fresh; if they sink, they're old.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#4]
or am I thinking of eggs?...
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Smell them.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#6]
ZTS Battery tester or Multimeter to read voltage.

Neither is perfect but they'll both tell you if a cell is fucked, or 100%. Not necessarily great at reading the middle.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
the way to tell if batteries are fresh or not is to put them in a glass of water.  If they float, they're fresh; if they sink, they're old.
View Quote

That's eggs.

Link Posted: 7/21/2020 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#8]
There's always the tongue test.  Or leave a 9V in your pocket with your car keys for a few hours.

I'm pretty sure factory packaging has some sort of lots/dates on them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy in bulk from Surefire- spend a little more but you will know they are original.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#10]
The issue is buying batteries from Amazon. Third party/fulfillment sellers contaminate the sales chain with fakes/returns that get shipped and sold by Amazon due to how they warehouse their goods.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Buy in bulk from Surefire- spend a little more but you will know they are original.
View Quote

That'll work for 123's but that's about it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#12]
https://www.batteryjunction.com/
I order all my batts from here. Highly recommend.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Try joining a flash light forum (candlelightpower or something) - I've seen tests before between batteries and output.  I think the last time I was on there the go to batteries for 2032 were panasonics

Link Posted: 7/21/2020 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Battery junction is a good place to buy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Buy local, remember "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush." Amazon is responsible for the demise of many local stores.
I personally don't buy from Amazon unless absolutely necessary because they shield the seller location sometimes.
BTW Jeff Bezeos is on track to become the world's first billion dollar man in 2025.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Most should have a 7-10 year shelf life. Amazon does sell or allow counterfeit and sub standard quality products such as near expatiation date batteries. I would agree to buy at a local store or contact the manufacture.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It’s been almost nonexistent w their third party sellers for quite a while now in particular
View Quote

I trust Ebay more than Amazon now, that should say something.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's eggs.

View Quote

He's just F'ing with you, it's batteries.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Drop them on a hard surface.  Dead batteries bounce.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just ordered some...thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

This right here
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. AA and AAA from Costco.

Got some Surefire CR123’s from a link posted here a few years ago. Was like $1 per deal
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#23]
The problem isn't with them being old, it's that they are fakes.
Mostly made in China to look like well known makes, but what is inside them is anyone's guess.

But you would not be far off in guessing that they are either rejects from a production line for the real thing, or absolute fakes, using the cheapest materials.

I refuse to buy batteries (and a few other things) from Amazon now. Been bitten too many times.

I once bought a pair of Knipex side cutters. As you probably know, its a German make.
I bought those particular ones because they offered next day delivery.
When I received the email, they were coming via USPS ... hmm... USPS ... next day ... and the tracking number looked odd, so plugged it in and it said Chinapost.

So ... German tool, coming from China, and it's going to be here tomorrow???

Amazon really should do a LOT of house cleaning.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I have had no problem buying batteries on amazon. Plenty of surefire cr123's since they are regularly $16-18 for a pack of 12. Just make sure you compare in store prices versus amazon, it's not always a deal and sometimes more expensive on odds and ends batteries. Bought N cell batteries locally and they were much cheaper for example (old aimpoint)

The trick to it is only buy "Sold and shipped by Amazon" so you stay away from the 3rd party sellers.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I got counterfeit energizer lithiums from amazon once. Verified it with energizer's support line.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't buy alkaline batteries. Buy Eneloop rechargeables or lithium.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have had no problem buying batteries on amazon. Plenty of surefire cr123's since they are regularly $16-18 for a pack of 12. Just make sure you compare in store prices versus amazon, it's not always a deal and sometimes more expensive on odds and ends batteries. Bought N cell batteries locally and they were much cheaper for example (old aimpoint)

The trick to it is only buy "Sold and shipped by Amazon" so you stay away from the 3rd party sellers.
View Quote

Every battery I looked at was sold and shipped by Amazon.

Many had horrible recent reviews with supporting pics to show fakes/wonky packaging not matching the pic in the ad and batteries with very little charge. I'm sure many are fine, just no way to tell.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 10:43:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I use a lot of AA batteries for my trail cams. I buy 100 packs of Energizers on eBay and have never had a problem.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 10:43:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Don't buy alkaline batteries. Buy Eneloop rechargeables or lithium.
View Quote

Yea, they don't make alkalines like they usta.  

Eneloops really are the shit for most of my uses.  Biggest reason: they don't leak.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I usually give them a sniff and see if they've got that fresh baked smell.

Or is it that new car smell?

In any case, always smell your batteries.

Link Posted: 7/21/2020 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#31]
They taste different.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 10:48:08 PM EDT
[#32]
They're good for ten years. They'll be sitting around my house for a couple of years before I even break the seal on the packaging
I'm not going to worry about whether they sat on the store shelf for one or six months
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I just ordered a dozen batteries from my wholesaler. I'll look at the dates I guess when they get delivered tomorrow. Had the choice between energizer and duracell.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I just ordered a dozen batteries from my wholesaler. I'll look at the dates I guess when they get delivered tomorrow. Had the choice between energizer and duracell.
View Quote

Enercell and duragizer?

I prefer duragizer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Good batteries have dates.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 11:31:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They're good for ten years. They'll be sitting around my house for a couple of years before I even break the seal on the packaging
I'm not going to worry about whether they sat on the store shelf for one or six months
View Quote

That was never the concern.

When they show up, as previously mentioned, with >20% charge because they're either old stock or verifiable knockoff's....that was the concern. A concern, again, supported by what was mentioned in the OP based on numerous Amazon reviews...with pics and supporting info....which prompted the original question.

In your case, what would be more a accurate example based on my question would be if you opened up a bulk pack of batteries that had sat for the allotted few years and they all were at >10%.

For some, a minor aggravation, for others a larger problem.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#37]
1.  Take them out of the package.  All of them.

2. Put your tongue on the positive terminal of each battery.  Get it real wet.

3.  Stick the battery in your ass.  All the way.  Keep loading them up there.

4.  Check date on package.

BONUS:  you now have batteries wherever you go.  Ass batteries!

Link Posted: 7/21/2020 11:39:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Try them in a fleshlight for brightness.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 11:41:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came to post this. I have ordered 100s of batteries from them over the years. Never had a single bad one.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 11:43:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, no, no. You do that to see if someone is a witch. To check batteries, you need to throw them onto the floor (hard). If they bounce, they’re good. If they do not bounce, they’re dead.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 12:08:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
1.  Take them out of the package.  All of them.

2. Put your tongue on the positive terminal of each battery.  Get it real wet.

3.  Stick the battery in your ass.  All the way.  Keep loading them up there.

4.  Check date on package.

BONUS:  you now have batteries wherever you go.  Ass batteries!

View Quote

Helpful lifehack.

Link Posted: 7/22/2020 12:28:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your trick sucks.  Amazon commingles its inventory with third-party sellers that use Amazon fulfillment.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Enercell and duragizer?

I prefer duragizer.
View Quote

Duracell
Came in today. 1.04 each is my wholesale price.

Attachment Attached File

Hopefully it’ll last longer than the cheap red and black packaged generic ones from amazon
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Top Top