Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2024 12:55:23 AM EDT
Anybody here have any experience with these? I’ve been thinking about getting one but from what I’ve seen  there are real ones that were factory manufactured as demonstrators, factory manufactured for retail sales, some were changed by a dealer with a factory authorized kit and then the frankenwatches, ones assembled to capitalize on the demand today for something that has been out of production since the late 70’s.

Missed one on eBay, it was a gamble but it was priced reasonable enough but I didn’t get serious on th bidding.

What do I look for, look to avoid? I don’t need nor want a museum piece or a NIB example, I plan on wearing it in rotation with my 1951 Bulova Director, my 1962 Bulova 23 Jewel (both inherited from my dad in’67) The Director had been inoperative since 1962 and just had it refurbished this year, Those together with a 1972 Accutron that I bought in late 73.

Link Posted: 9/20/2024 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#1]
The first thing to remember is that Bulova discontinued all support for tuning fork Accutron watches in 1980. The parts have pretty much dried up. A few people bought up the big stashes years ago and know what they have and charge accordingly. The big problem is the coils. The electronic components are just flat aging out. They were never meant to last this long. Coils are expensive since the ones that are out there are all there will ever be and there's no guarantee that they're any good even if they were properly stored for the last 4 or 5 decades. As an example the last 218 cell coil that I bought in the sealed factory package was bad. I used to service Accutrons pretty regularly but have gotten away from them more and more due to the parts issues.

That being said the vast majority of "Spaceview" watches are the model 214 which isn't as bad for the coil issue although it does still happen. There were factory Spaceviews of course but many have been created after the fact and if done correctly there's no way to really be 100% certain whether it's a factory watch or was converted later or built from parts. Bulova even sold conversion kits back in the day with the correct crystal and a spacer ring to make up the case depth (how deeply the movement sits in the case) from removing the dial. The originals also had this spacer ring.

Another issue is that the EPA outlawed 1.35V mercury cells a few decades ago. Most Accutrons can be regulated to run within spec on a 1.5V cell but once in a while you run into one that can't which requires a tuning fork change and some other things that I won't get into here. There's a company that makes "Accucells" which are a 1.5V battery with a ring around them and a little diode that cuts the voltage to 1.35V. They're not cheap and quite frankly I have found them problematic. They don't last long and the little diode has a tendancy to burn itself up.

They are fun watches as long as you understand what you're getting into.

For reference I'm a watchmaker with 34 years of experience.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool video that just popped up about these.

Bulova Accutron 214 Restoration - So Precise NASA Astronauts Used Them

Link Posted: 9/20/2024 11:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shovelheadrider] [#3]
unreformed66,
Thank you for the information.

Pretty much figured that I’m taking a chance buying an Accutron of that vintage. Wouldn’t be my first bad decision nor my last.
I’ve seen prices all over the board, I’ve been watching in the 300-600 dollar range, looking for something to wear and not a museum piece. In that price range I’m assuming that if it dies I can part it out and not get too badly hurt on the loss.

Been watching estate and garage sales together with eBay. Pretty much gave up on Etsy, 700 and up there with some well over 1k.

I see that the 214 seems to be more prevalent.

I have one Accutron, the two tone red dial with a case date code of 1972 that I bought new very early in 1974. Don’t remember exactly how much I paid for it but I do remember my ex-fiancée complaining about how much it cost  at the time. All I’ll say is that watch is still with me……
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 11:51:42 PM EDT
[#4]
You're quite welcome. in 1974 an Accutron WAS an expensive watch. Strangely enough it was an Accutron that started my fascination with watches as a child. In 1972 My Grandmother bought my Grandfather an Accutron for Christmas. Stainless steel. It cost $200.00. She could have bought a stainless steel Rolex Datejust for around the same money at that time.  6 year old me thought Grandad's watch humming was just the coolest thing ever.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#5]
unreformed66,

Well I took a chance on a eBay auction tonight. 1964 model by the case date stamp. Stainless steel case, had the “parenthesis” () band lugs, the best way I can describe them. I think the crystal has been replaced, the only one I found on the Internet besides the auction offering has dashes instead of the dots like this crystal has.

I can live with that. I will probably try to find a NOS or repop crystal with the dashes According to the auction it was bought from a dealer a few years back and is said to run well. The seller also has a 100% rating so I went for it. They give two weeks to return it so I’ll give it a solid two week wearing trial.

Thanks for all your advice again.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#6]
No problem and I hope that you got a good one. Let me know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you and I will.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top