[#2]
I'd get an M16 RR.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd buy a North Korean woman.
View Quote

Why do that when I can have my crazy Hispanic / Spanish / Mexican woman as it is now.

Link Posted: 9/30/2022 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Truck wise this is what I am after Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is a really important perspective.

About 12 years ago, I sold a bunch of guns to buy a classic car.  I got a LOT more enjoyment out of the classic car over some guns sitting in the safe that I never shot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which would you enjoy more?

For me it would be the truck.  I don’t own any NFA full autos, but im guessing the novelty of it would wear off pretty quick for me personally.

NFA gun is the better investment, but you said toy not investment

About 12 years ago, I sold a bunch of guns to buy a classic car.  I got a LOT more enjoyment out of the classic car over some guns sitting in the safe that I never shot.

This is the answer after having both.

And I sold the classic car for a modern sports car.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Why do that when I can have my crazy Hispanic / Spanish / Mexican woman as it is now.

View Quote
I just got out of 12 year relationship with a Puerto Rican chick.  

Don't get stabbed bro.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Truck. If the F/A is going to be a safe queen, then you're only buying it for an investment or to brag, both of which are gay.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just got out of 12 year relationship with a Puerto Rican chick.  

Don't get stabbed bro.
View Quote

So far im the only one doing the stabbing
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Call it wishful thinking, but we now have a clear path to the NFA being overturned by the courts.  I wouldn't sink any significant amount of money into full auto, unless it's something like a Thompson that has collectible value beyond the happy switch.
View Quote

This.  

With my luck, I'd drop a pile cash on a full-auto and the NFA would be struck down the day after ATF cashed my check.  Suddenly, an M16 is worth $800.  A DIAS is worth twenty bucks.
A lightening link is worth $1.05.

While I don't think the NFA is going to go away next week, I seriously believe there is a solid chance it will be struck down in the next 3-5 years.

Several other dominoes are falling faster than I expected under Bruen.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:31:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

67-77 F250 4wd with a divorced transfer case has been called a high boy since forever.

OP, I’d vote truck, but ultimately you have to decide what you would get the most enjoyment out of.
View Quote

I suppose so, but the "high boy" roadster has been around since before 1967.    I'm surprised I've never heard of the truck version.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#12]

This is the first thing that came to mind when I head the title "Ford" and "High Boy"
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:42:30 PM EDT
[#13]
MP40
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Tons of forest, BLM, and public lands to shoot on close by. Even here.

Maybe you should post where you are from for context, at least when making statements like that.
View Quote

Central PA.

Also factor in NFA wit times.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#15]
For auto for sure.

Way more fun and will go up in value. The car will just rust away.

An M16 is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I have multiple full auto firearms. They sit in the safe.

I am rebuilding a 76 Highboy right now. Looking forward to enjoying it very often.

Highboy Rebuild.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#17]
What will be of more use in the coming troublesome times
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I read Ford High Boy and expected something like this:
https://www.sanfranciscosportscars.com/imagetag/510/48/l/Used-1932-Ford-High-Boy-Roadster.jpg

When did people start calling lifted trucks "high boys"?
View Quote

No clue but I thought the same.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Full auto can only be enjoyed in limited places and limited times.
View Quote

not necessarily for everyone, I can slide my front porch door open and drop the M60 with a 250rd belt in at and let it go, anytime, any day of the year
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Uzi. 9mill cheaper than 45 to feed a Thompson.
View Quote

Whet he said
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I am rebuilding a 76 Highboy right now. Looking forward to enjoying it very often.

Highboy Rebuild.
View Quote

Sweet!  

mind if i asked what you paid for it? you can message me if you want.
also Sub'd to your build thread too
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#22]
NFA is the way
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I remember back when I was considering my first FA and someone here brought up the cost being much less than a new truck, which will depreciate to nothing. It's an interesting perspective considering what a new truck goes for anymore. My machineguns have pretty much doubled in value I think. An old classic car/truck won't depreciate and will probably go up in value as well though so that isn't a perfect comparison to your case.

Both probably have about the same chance as being rendered worthless by legislation.

Flip a coin, pick one and then start saving for the other. I started with the MG and and am working on the truck. Soon I'll be able to say I got both.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thompson
View Quote

FPNI.

But then again, I drive the same car I've had for 16 years now with 340k miles on it, since I am admittedly not a car guy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Not even a question get a full auto. get yourself an Uzi and I guarantee every time you do a mag dump a big smile to put on your face. A little less money in your pocket but in my opinion it’s worth it love mine.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sweet!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Highboy Rebuild.

Sweet!  

10k all original 75k mile truck out of California.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Got about $25K to play with
Before anyone says invest it, see thread title, plus I dont think the market is yet at the bottom.

I am vacilaiting on what to do. Never really got myself a post divorce / built a new life / fun thing.....other than my GF.

The Truck would be a winter tinker with / fun to drive and the Machine gun a safe queen most likely.
What NFA would I get? Kind of limited with the 25K budget but a Thompson / FN FNC / Uzi / MAC's so dunno fully.

In before the / I see the poors are at it again / go be poor somewhere else crowd
View Quote

Buy a MAC with some lage uppers and don't let it be a safe queen
None of mine are
You could buy some ammo with the left over if you don't have any.

With the uppers you could be shooting .45, 9mm, and 5.56.
Machine guns were made to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Screw a machine gun....and screw a "Highboy (I hate that term)."

Take your 25k, and find the cleanest 77.5-79 F250 or 1979 F350 4x4 you can find. They are better in every single way than the pre-77.5 F250, and actually bring a little less money because people want that stupid "highboy" moniker.

That's not a "highboy," its better. Thats a 78 or 79 F250, which is as good as a classic 4x4 gets.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I had a '74 identical to this one (including the 16.5" slot mags). 4V 390, NP435 4-speed and a divorced NP205 transfer case. Bulletproof. Wish I could find one now for the $3500 I paid then.

Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#30]
FA appreciates like crazy.
High Boy when boomers die is an old truck.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, oddly enough, classic 4x4 prices are skyrocketing and it isn't boomers buying them. The folks that are buying Early Broncos, and K20s, and Scouts, and Highboys are the folks whose dads drove them when they were kids. Boomers aren't fueling the demand, their kids and grandkids are.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

not necessarily for everyone, I can slide my front porch door open and drop the M60 with a 250rd belt in at and let it go, anytime, any day of the year
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Full auto can only be enjoyed in limited places and limited times.

You're still limited to:

1. Your Property
2. Shooting range
3. Maybe a friends property or public land if legal in your state.

Times are limited to:

1. The time you're at places 1, 2, or 3.

I know, I know, technically you can mag dump in a walmart at 4pm if you want to, but the majority of times and places in the US you can full auto mag dump without certain attention, is limited.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Get an RR/M16

way more versatile than a subgun. Most subguns are blowback and suck balls compared to some kind of delayed action… gassy, bouncy, loud suppressed…
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Gun vs truck is your decision. I would look closer into the highboys if I were you.

If you want a 73-79 style truck the 78-79 4x4's may be the better truck for than a 73-77 highboy.

As has been said the HB came with a divorced transfer case. Which sucks compared to a married one imo.

All highboys came with 4 wheel drum and little master cylinder/brake boosters. I'm not in the "disc brake everything" crowd but these are the little drums from that time and they are gonna be about the worst brakes you can get on an other wise capable frame.

a lot of highboys have in cab tanks, which suck

most (if not every single one) got a 360 and a 4 speed. The 360's are a good classic truck motor but in my opinion the 400 that you can get in a 78-79 4x4 is a lot better and if you don't like that the 400 has a big block bellhousing which makes 460 swaps easier.

Ac setups changed in 77 especially and it's a lot easier to find 78-79 4x4 with factory installed or dealer ac with parts that aren't hard to get.

If you just want a high boy forget everything I said they are awesome trucks. But if you are wanting a 73-79 4x4 f250 to drive everyday and use a lot then maybe 78-79 is better for you. Lift kits readily available.

Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#35]
I agree in whole, but there are a lot of "not exactlys" in here

Quoted:
Gun vs truck is your decision. I would look closer into the highboys if I were you.

If you want a 73-79 style truck the 78-79 4x4's may be the better truck for than a 73-77 highboy.

As has been said the HB came with a divorced transfer case. Which sucks compared to a married one imo.

All highboys came with 4 wheel drum and little master cylinder/brake boosters. I'm not in the "disc brake everything" crowd but these are the little drums from that time and they are gonna be about the worst brakes you can get on an other wise capable frame. This not exactly true. Front discs became standard with the open knuckle 44 in 1976. standard

a lot of highboys have in cab tanks, which suck All "highboys" had in cab tanks. In cab tanks really don't suck at all, as long as they are maintained.

most (if not every single one) got a 360 and a 4 speed. The 360's are a good classic truck motor but in my opinion the 400 that you can get in a 78-79 4x4 is a lot better and if you don't like that the 400 has a big block bellhousing which makes 460 swaps easier. In the 73-77 bodystyle, the only available engines were the 300 I-6 and the 360. No 390s, no four barrels.

Ac setups changed in 77 especially and it's a lot easier to find 78-79 4x4 with factory installed or dealer ac with parts that aren't hard to get.

If you just want a high boy forget everything I said they are awesome trucks. But if you are wanting a 73-79 4x4 f250 to drive everyday and use a lot then maybe 78-79 is better for you. Lift kits readily available.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That's essentially what I did.  Except I gave away the classic car (to brother-in-law) and bought a modern sports car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which would you enjoy more?

For me it would be the truck.  I don’t own any NFA full autos, but im guessing the novelty of it would wear off pretty quick for me personally.

NFA gun is the better investment, but you said toy not investment

This is the answer after having both.

And I sold the classic car for a modern sports car.

That's essentially what I did.  Except I gave away the classic car (to brother-in-law) and bought a modern sports car.

Yuck.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Big block, 4 speed, 4 door, Ford!
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I read Ford High Boy and expected something like this:
https://www.sanfranciscosportscars.com/imagetag/510/48/l/Used-1932-Ford-High-Boy-Roadster.jpg

When did people start calling lifted trucks "high boys"?
View Quote

That would be my choice (but with fenders, I know that classically make it not a highboy), followed by the truck then a FA.  Speaking from experience, I'd get far more use and enjoyment out of the vehicle than I would the gun.  Only you can decide which would make you happier though.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Got about $25K to play with
Before anyone says invest it, see thread title, plus I dont think the market is yet at the bottom.

I am vacilaiting on what to do. Never really got myself a post divorce / built a new life / fun thing.....other than my GF.

The Truck would be a winter tinker with / fun to drive and the Machine gun a safe queen most likely.
What NFA would I get? Kind of limited with the 25K budget but a Thompson / FN FNC / Uzi / MAC's so dunno fully.

In before the / I see the poors are at it again / go be poor somewhere else crowd
View Quote

I don’t know enough about old trucks or the future of the FA market to advise you on either,  but I’m confident that no one ever lost money by knowing how to spell “vacillating”.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That would be my choice (but with fenders, I know that classically make it not a highboy), followed by the truck then a FA.  Speaking from experience, I'd get far more use and enjoyment out of the vehicle than I would the gun.  Only you can decide which would make you happier though.  
View Quote

Folks seem to be very confused as to what a "highboy" is. This is a slang term used to describe one of two very different things.

A) A 32 Ford (or other A) whose body sits on top the frame, not channeled.

B) Any 66-77.5 Ford F250 4x4
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#42]
All I can say is that about 5 years ago I invested in 3 Macs: a M10/45, a M11/9 and a M11A1 in .380. They’ve doubled in value and with the Lage stuff, I shoot them frequently (the .380 with the slow fire tungsten bolt is awesome). I frequently go to my indoor range with the M11/9 with a .22 conversion and run 1000 or so rounds through it - it’s been extremely reliable. Personally, I think the NFA market may correct if people start selling collections due to inflation and stock market decline, but I’m still happy I have mine and intend to buy a Sendra in the next year. I love the Uzis, Stemples, And Stens, but for investment purposes I’d look for versatility.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Highboys are pretty sweet.

Personally I went M16 and a modern F250 Tremor.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/30/2022 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Full auto can only be enjoyed in limited places and limited times. There's also the cost of ammo if you REALLY spend time shooting it. And the small chance that one day it will be made illegal like bumpstocks.

The Ford you can enjoy pretty much whenever you want. Go to cruises, local car shows, pick up dudes at O'Rilleys, and more.

But I'm a bit biased since I have a '32 Ford.
View Quote

Pick up dudes??
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 7:23:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Doubt it. I'm 41. My first truck was a 78 ford at 15 years old. I'm thinking the 70s pickups will be popular for my generation to buy and fix up. Same as muscle cars were for boomers
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#46]
I'd buy the car, not that particular style one, but a hot rod toy orr a 4X4 truck... I would get that before a FA toy...

If in the next few years, Bruen is able to kill off NFA, then your 25k toy becomes worth about threefiddy..
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Already have my 9-5 Logistics career & own a LLC side hustle Hot shotting Oil field parts on the weekends.....I work too damn much as it is..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
use that money to start your own LLC and firearms related business, get 07/02 FFL/SOT, make your own post samples. buy silencers on form 3. do transfers and small sales.

Already have my 9-5 Logistics career & own a LLC side hustle Hot shotting Oil field parts on the weekends.....I work too damn much as it is..

I bet it isn’t much work other than making sure your books and paperwork is above board
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#48]
yes
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#49]
While I love my buddies Thompson it is a heavy bitch and a one trick pony. They are very pleasant to shoot though and mags are easy to load plus the history

Sten - fun to shoot, parts and mags are everywhere and cheap. You need a loader (not a big deal) and they have history. It’s still a one trick pony

S&W 76 - fun to shoot, mags are easy with modified Suomi mags.  But parts are tough and only do 9mm and limited history

Uzi - heavy but fun, parts and mags are cheap and available and you can convert calibers. History is there just not ours

MAC - it’s ugly and cheaply made but Lage makes it all better, no history but very flexible
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Not that I am biased, but High Boy
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top