Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2024 6:44:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: killingmachine123]
The title pretty much says it all. I need a watch for a couple 9-year-olds one boy and one girl. I don't want something made in China. The girl is pretty responsible and I wouldn't mind spending a little more on that watch. The boy is actually 6, but is just a colossus. I want to go cheap in case he loses it, but I guess I'll need some durability to stop Baby Huey from breaking it on day 1.

Any suggestions are welcome. In before someone links to a Rolex or the like.

ETA: They need to be analog watches.

Link Posted: 8/1/2024 7:19:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#1]
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Another vote for Vostok. My buddy’s 10 year old hasn’t destroyed the one I gave him yet.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#3]
The Timex Expedition is made in the Philippines.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 7:38:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: killingmachine123] [#4]
What are the dimensions on those Vostok watches? They seem like they would be too large for 9 year old wrists, but that might be OK since they'll grow into them. Do those require winding?

ETA: Speaking of Timex, their Weekender model is made in the Philippines too.
https://www.amazon.com/Timex-Womens-T2P370-Weekender-Slip-Thru/dp/B0BD96ZCPW
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 7:01:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:
What are the dimensions on those Vostok watches? They seem like they would be too large for 9 year old wrists, but that might be OK since they'll grow into them. Do those require winding?

ETA: Speaking of Timex, their Weekender model is made in the Philippines too.
https://www.amazon.com/Timex-Womens-T2P370-Weekender-Slip-Thru/dp/B0BD96ZCPW
View Quote
The Expedition line is well-reviewed and sounds like it's robust. I had a Timex when I was about 11 or 12. It was a tough watch but I did manage to finally break it, lol. The seals let go and water got into the movement. It was a cool watch, though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 8:19:21 AM EDT
[#6]
These might be out of budget but will last them decades. 36mm case and about $220 on Amazon.

Seiko
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Bertucci watches?
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#8]
My kids wear Fitbits like Mom.

Timex Weekenders are smaller size, might be good for kids.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#9]
my kid has been wearing a seiko 5 automatic since he was 6. He's small so it looks insane but he loves it on a camo nato he stole from me.

a few scratches and despite swimming with the crown open () more than once, it's still going strong. He gets a G-Shock today cause he's been wanting one, did well in school, and chipped in some of his own money for it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
my kid has been wearing a seiko 5 automatic since he was 6. He's small so it looks insane but he loves it on a camo nato he stole from me.

a few scratches and despite swimming with the crown open () more than once, it's still going strong. He gets a G-Shock today cause he's been wanting one, did well in school, and chipped in some of his own money for it.
View Quote

What model g shock did he get?
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I picked up a couple Weekender watches for the kids. I'm still concerned about loss with them, so I decided to keep it really cheap.

Upon helping me with the decision, my wife decided that she needs a watch now. Time to start from square one, but with a slightly higher price point. I might just get her another Baby G, but she mentioned wanting something analog again...
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Forlorn-Hope:

What model g shock did he get?
View Quote

@Forlorn-Hope we got hima GBA900. Not tiny but he wears it well and it's lighter/easier than his 42mm seiko.

he's already figured out the alarms, chimes, linked it to my phone, and lets his teacher know if she's late with school dismissal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top