BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In the original timeline this collider created a singularity that ended up consuming the earth.

It will be interesting to see how it works out this time.
View Quote
Did a man in a rabbit suit tell you this?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#2]
It looks like they know how to build a wall faster and bigger than we do.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What could go wrong
View Quote
That is not the question to ask, but-

Why are they building their own collider rather than going to France and stealing the Large Hadron Collider. Is this an indication they're reforming?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What eons are we talking about?

What technology?
View Quote
Ohh, I dunno...

How about gun powder, for one? Rockets for another?

How about this little list for a few more?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_inventions
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I mean what could possibly go wrong?

Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah well things like that are a bit easier when the population is homogenous
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
These  fuckers are going to oopen a porthole to anohter dimension that will bring a reign of fuck and hell upon us.
View Quote
Isn't that how Cthulhu is summoned?

South Park did a documentary on this, although in that case it was BP's fault.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ohh, I dunno...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What technology?
Ohh, I dunno...

Yawn. That was half a millennium ago. Now they live off the tech they steal from us... and still have third world illiteracy outside their cities.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ohh, I dunno...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What technology?
Ohh, I dunno...

The Chinese stumbled across gunpowder and couldn't figure out how to make useful weapons out of it for hundreds of years.

Europeans are told about gunpowder and in five minutes are shooting people in the face with guns.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The Chinese stumbled across gunpowder and couldn't figure out how to make useful weapons out of it for hundreds of years.

Europeans are told about gunpowder and in five minutes are shooting people in the face with guns.
View Quote
Just about that fast!

Let me guess that collider size is probably logarithmic?  Meaning doubling in size probably only increases the capability a little bit?  Just a hunch/guess.

What sayeth the Arf-physicists?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#11]
With plans stolen by Liberals and then given to China.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#12]
What could possibree go wong?

Go for it, open the Gates of Hell and let's get this party started.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#13]
They will have plenty of people to toss into the hole to hell when it opens....lol
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Typical GD bullshitting. Think for at least 30 seconds before posting. Gross...
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#15]
The MRI company I used to work for sold a scanner to China. The installation was in Nanjing. We quickly took to calling it the city of broken things. Drove past a clock tower to and from the site. All four sides had different times and not like different time zones. One would be 9:25, another 10 to something, third one like 34 minutes after and the fourth 18 after. Hours weren't even close to each other. Power would just intermittently go off for random amounts of time at random times.

Can't wait to hear how big a melt down they have when they have a cryo failure or Xui forgets to replenish on schedule and the whole thing turns into a really big expensive puddle.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Impressive.

With this most recent achievement, fate has in a single stroke, marked the decline of the west and spelled a new era of wondrous prosperity and peaceful global dominance for the Chinese dragon, which promises to firmly stand in sharp contrast to the historically bloody ascent of western powers and the cruel subjugation it brought to the humbler nations of the world. With the blessings of Chinese quantum direct-current electricity, quantum aircraft carriers and quantum enhanced railguns will be the instruments with which China affirms its noble stewardship of 21st century world politics and offers the non-western world a different option; an humanist alternative to the depredations of Western leadership and the opportunity for a more equitable and dignified multilateralism.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#17]
In on 3 and before those communist open up a gate to hell!

Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Impressive.

With this most recent achievement, fate has in a single stroke, marked the decline of the west and spelled a new era of wondrous prosperity and peaceful global dominance for the Chinese dragon, which promises to firmly stand in sharp contrast to the historically bloody ascent of western powers and the cruel subjugation it brought to the humbler nations of the world. With the blessings of Chinese quantum direct-current electricity, quantum aircraft carriers and quantum enhanced railguns will be the instruments with which China affirms its noble stewardship of 21st century world politics and offers the non-western world a different option; an humanist alternative to the depredations of Western leadership and the opportunity for a more equitable and dignified multilateralism.
View Quote
I, for one, look forward to our Benevolent Chinese overlords.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I went to Harbor Freight today at lunch looking for non-cryogenic superconductive magnets, but they didn’t have any.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#20]
BREAKING NEWS

Tralfamador will begin testing new rocket fuel enriched with Chinese CEPC made boson-higgs particles. Universe expected to witness spectacular lighting effects with momentary concussion as test ship reaches max velocity shortly after fuel injection.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Seems sorta unnecessary to me.

What do they gain by having their own particle collider?
View Quote
If anyone’s gonna have a China Syndrome, they want to make damn sure it’s China.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just about that fast!

Let me guess that collider size is probably logarithmic?  Meaning doubling in size probably only increases the capability a little bit?  Just a hunch/guess.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just about that fast!

The size and energy of the ring is governed by a few things

1) strength of your dipole turning magnets.

2) energy of the beam

3) type of particles

You need to turn the high energy charged particle around the ring, but they will radiate Bremstrahlung which will start to cause issues with both energy loss and beam stability. As long as you don't hit the limit of that (LEP was getting close near the end) then you can keep ramping energy as long as you have to field strength in the magnets. Protons don't radiate as bad as electrons, and muons would be even better. There's more complicated issues with beam stability but that's the general principle. Maybe @LowBeta can shed more light on that since it's his area.

For reference, LHC has a design energy of 14TeV at 27km diameter and superconducting magnets at 8.3ishT

Tevatron has an energy of 1TeV at 6.28km diameter and superconducting 4.2T magnets.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What will this do that the LHC cannot do?
View Quote
The first phase is an electron positron collider so it will collide different types of particles than the LHC which I would assume will have the energy tuned to make a Higgs factory to make more precise measurements of Higgs' properties.

I believe the next phase would be an order 100TeV pp machine to overtake the LHC looking for new physics like Supersymmetry or other more crazy theories.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I just want to see a Wave motion powered FTL spacecraft

We might need one after we create a wormhole in the middle of China.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:04:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What will this do that the LHC cannot do?
View Quote
Open a portal to hell..
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:05:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Did a man in a rabbit suit tell you this?
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I warned you fuckers about this about a year ago.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:22:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Open a portal to hell..
View Quote
NEAT!  What round for Pinky?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I believe the next phase would be an order 100TeV pp machine to overtake the LHC looking for new physics like Supersymmetry or other more crazy theories.
View Quote
Does that involve 100 mosquitos and a treadmill?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:46:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And don't forget the magnets
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I hope they have a Chinese version of Gordon Freeman.

And crowbars......
View Quote
Golden Fleaman!
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:54:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The starter hole is half dug

eta Pic here

On a related subject it took me changing my line of work to become friends with Roy Schwitters
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Doesn't the US have a particle collider that is half built, IIRC in texas.
The starter hole is half dug

eta Pic here

On a related subject it took me changing my line of work to become friends with Roy Schwitters
I wonder what the payoff of the International Space Station has been vs. what a ree-dicky-u-lous particle accelerator would have been?  Or was the project itself doomed to rapid obsolescence or inadequacy from the start (I assume there's more to collider design than just the size of the ring )?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:21:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I wonder what the payoff of the International Space Station has been vs. what a ree-dicky-u-lous particle accelerator would have been?  Or was the project itself doomed to rapid obsolescence or inadequacy from the start (I assume there's more to collider design than just the size of the ring )?
View Quote
Since the SSC was before my time I only have the old timers' stories to go on, but it appears there were bad budget overruns early in the project because, well digging a big ass tunnel isn't as easy as it sounds. There was some mismanagement as is typical in big DOE projects and at the time I don't think anyone really knew what the benefits of having a collider running in the US for the next 50 years would be. At that point I think most would have probably believed Tevatron was surely going to find the Higgs as well. I haven't had the balls to ask Roy why the project was cancelled from his perspective. I suspect there's not enough time for that story.

eta and as someone else said I don't think the ISS was the true justification, just a cop out since they probably didn't want to fund 2 science projects at once back then. I would have preferred to be eating Texas BBQ through grad school instead of Swiss/French cuisine.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:47:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
These  fuckers are going to oopen a porthole to anohter dimension that will bring a reign of fuck and hell upon us.
View Quote
The...…...Hitlerverse (bum bum bum!) Grab yer shotguns!
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:49:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't Trump Hitler?

Thus aren't we the Hitlerverse?

Maybe we're looking at this backwards... Maybe we're the demons about to burst out of the portal to hell.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:07:04 AM EDT
[#36]
So.... what happens to say, a human body getting smoked by a particle being whipped around one of these bad boys?
I know a particle is fucking tiny, so does it just zing though you? Or does it have some absurd kinetic energy and liquefy you?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:12:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
HO LEE FUK

SUM TING WONG

BANG DING OW
View Quote
We cweeate bwack horle
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:22:35 AM EDT
[#38]
The problem I foresee is not the size of the project. It's easy enough with GPS coordinates to build a ring 20 miles in diameter.

What the chinese lack, is the ability to build it to the level of precision of the LHC. They were talking about tolerances in the tenths of millimeters, and EVERYTHING had to be built to that level of exactness. It took some of the best construction companies and scientists the world had to offer (not just the EU) to bring the LHC into being, there is no way the chinese will be able to build it and operate it with any legitimate data.

They will build the ring, and it will sit there and rot like the rest of China.

ETA

Quoted:
So.... what happens to say, a human body getting smoked by a particle being whipped around one of these bad boys?
I know a particle is fucking tiny, so does it just zing though you? Or does it have some absurd kinetic energy and liquefy you?
View Quote
Particles are just like radiation usually in exposure danger. A single particle won't do any more harm than a single gamma ray or Xray. But it's not just a single particle, it's a stream of particles. There was a story about a russian scientist that got his head into a particle beam (got turned on when he was trying to fix or adjust it??) and he had massive radiation burns and swelling in his face. He lived though... Some nasty effects on the receiving end of that beam.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:31:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatoli_Bugorski

Basically, all the weird things about cancer and a stroke without any of the usually deadly parts.

That was him though, your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:43:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Basically, all the weird things about cancer and a stroke without any of the usually deadly parts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He fared better than the dumbass scientist here that nuked everyone in the room when he dropped the tungsten lid
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Why are they building their own collider rather than going to France and stealing the Large Hadron Collider. Is this an indication they're reforming?
View Quote
They don't want to do physics.  They want to steal processes, material information, and technical knowledge from the contractors they will lure in to do the project (for big yuan) by requiring full disclosure of the technology and "staff and information exchange" with the US / Euro contractors.

This one project will take them from 60's knowledge of large capacitors, strong magnets, super conducting, etc. to 2010 knowledge of it, even if poorly implemented.

Just like they do for everything else, this is theft.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
They don't want to do physics.  They want to steal processes, material information, and technical knowledge from the contractors they will lure in to do the project (for big yuan) by requiring full disclosure of the technology and "staff and information exchange" with the US / Euro contractors.

This one project will take them from 60's knowledge of large capacitors, strong magnets, super conducting, etc. to 2010 knowledge of it, even if poorly implemented.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That may certainly be part of the motivation, but pretty much everything the LHC did is open knowledge since they publish all the design documents. Now we all know actually building the thing on the paper is not the same. I suspect it's more about the people brain drain so they can suck ideas out of them for the next few decades.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
why do they need a particle collider? ever seen them drive?
View Quote
They are interested in the results from the large hardon collider, but want it to be bigger.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
liner accelerators have been used in cancer treatments...

At FermiLab, we were told that if you were in one of the pits (experimental areas) and they dumped the beam in there, you'd have about 7 seconds to live.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ever do any research on hybrid rocket engines?
View Quote
nope, physics wasn't even my major, I was a computer science major. ended up there as a fluke...
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Correct.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Here’s an article. You can find your own pictures.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
He fared better than the dumbass scientist here that nuked everyone in the room when he dropped the tungsten lid
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dr Manhattan did nothing wrong.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

2) energy of the beam

3) type of particles

You need to turn the high energy charged particle around the ring, but they will radiate Bremstrahlung which will start to cause issues with both energy loss and beam stability. As long as you don't hit the limit of that (LEP was getting close near the end) then you can keep ramping energy as long as you have to field strength in the magnets. Protons don't radiate as bad as electrons, and muons would be even better. There's more complicated issues with beam stability but that's the general principle. Maybe @LowBeta can shed more light on that since it's his area.

For reference, LHC has a design energy of 14TeV at 27km diameter and superconducting magnets at 8.3ishT

Tevatron has an energy of 1TeV at 6.28km diameter and superconducting 4.2T magnets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just about that fast!

2) energy of the beam

3) type of particles

Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

At FermiLab, we were told that if you were in one of the pits (experimental areas) and they dumped the beam in there, you'd have about 7 seconds to live.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what they told the Ruskie dude, and he's still kicking.

Except being deaf in one ear, having tinnitus, 40% of his face paralyzed, missing hair... You know, normal Russian stuff.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top