User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Lol

How much does a Huawei?

Assclowns and liars, one and all

They left is having nightmares again about $800 toys making road flares out of their $80 million tanks
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:17:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:
For sale:

six year old DJI drone

$10,000

Cant get these any more
I know what I got
View Quote

Only crashed twice.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TrainSafe:

I’m curious what intelligence they’ve gathered that isn’t available on Google Earth. Could you please elaborate?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TrainSafe:
Originally Posted By FreshPrince:
Only in GD and DU would the MSS be more trustworthy than our government.

I’m curious what intelligence they’ve gathered that isn’t available on Google Earth. Could you please elaborate?

A drone can give you viewing angles and resolution not available on Google Earth.  It also allows you to acquire new images of a target on your schedule rather than Google’s.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#4]
We need to ban more Chinese shit too.  Like this iPad I’m typing on right now. China is playing the long game and all Americans can do is look forward to the next episode of (insert popular tv show name).  
I wonder if anyone has looked closely at data gathering of a Tesla?  Hell, all US car mfgr are data gathering now and selling it to who ever steps up with a check.   Maybe make data gathering illegal?

But hey, here’s a great idea congress….How about making the USA a business friendly country again and quit discouraging businesses by regulating and taxing the shit out of them first?  Give industries an incentive to bring manufacturing back home.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:20:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By somaliskinnypirate:
Even if they were spy devices, besides seeing the chick 3 doors down sunbathing in the nude, what possible intelligence would be gathered???

I'm more terrified of Google and Amazon devices being tied into the NSA data center in Utah.
View Quote

And this what is wrong with GD. You are more fearful of some Alex Jones based idiocy (herr derr derr the NSA knows what i had for breakfast)  that you are of the CHICOMs and their affiliates (Russians, Iranians, North Koreans).
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:22:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Never_A_Wick] [#6]
Originally Posted By fssf158:

A drone can give you viewing angles and resolution not available on Google Earth.  It also allows you to acquire new images of a target on your schedule rather than Google’s.
View Quote

China doesn’t have their own imaging satellites?

This whole thing sounds like some silly paranoia.  Plenty of other ways to look at things and track our activities.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:26:44 AM EDT
[#7]
i just bought a new Mini 4 pro to be delivered tomorrow too
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

That's whats interesting about this ban; do we even have commercial drone makers in the US?

View Quote
We did, not sure if we still do. 3DR made the Solo which still has a niche following. They couldn't compete with DJI.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:27:47 AM EDT
[#9]

That's whats interesting about this ban; do we even have commercial drone makers in the US?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Towely:
Even if they were spy devices, besides seeing the chick 3 doors down sunbathing in the nude, what possible intelligence would be gathered???

I'm more terrified of Google and Amazon devices being tied into the NSA data center in Utah.

With that attitude you'll never get fat campaign contributions from US drone manufacturers.

Work tested a few. They were awful compared to DJI products.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By armoredsaint:
i just bought a new Mini 4 pro to be delivered tomorrow too
View Quote

I got one about a month ago.  You’ll like it!
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
We do.
https://www.skydio.com/

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

you can go to your local county gis website and pull  high resolution overhead photos on any property . most of the gis websites have recent photos .

Charleston GIS
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Sierra5:
A really good article by one of the commercial drone industry leaders.  

https://dspalliance.org/the-truth-about-the-countering-ccp-drones-act/?_aem_ZmFrZWR1bW15MTZieXRlcw
View Quote

Just started reading it and found this nugget:

"And let's take a huge leap of faith and say that the FCC revokes the licenses, and DJI sends a brick command to all of their drones. Your drone would still need to be connected to the internet to receive that command. So put that fear out of your minds."

That's just a dumb statement given that key functions require an internet connection.

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

I got one about a month ago.  You'll like it!
View Quote
it replaced my Mavic Pro from 7 years ago, it's been a good quadcopter.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:
China is playing the long game.
View Quote

It does seem like that, and I'm often reminded of the apocryphal story from the 70s, when a Nixon official asked a Chinese bureaucrat his opinion of the results of the French Revolution, and he said, "it's too soon to tell."

Americans in general seem to be short-term thinkers these days, and it's a big problem. "We" only seem to care about the next thing or the next election - not the next generation or the next century.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:38:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By davekd7ds:
We do.

View All Quotes

We do.

i had a skiodio 2 , i loved it , its great for biking , skateboarding , it has one of the best obstacle avoidance systems out there. But i sold it when I heard skydio is leaving the consumer market and focusing on state and DOD market.

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:38:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:40:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Snozberry] [#19]
Right up there with the "ring doorbell wireless warrent and tapping act by domestic law enforcement" im sure.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:50:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SnazSleepWalker:

Quite the opportunity.  But first a US company has to have the technological capability to build a comparable drone, which none do.
View Quote

Calling Elon Musk.  Elon Musk to the courtesy phone please.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Yes, but they're way more expensive, and generally not as good. Look up skydio, for instance, and sky fish.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

With that attitude you'll never get fat campaign contributions from US drone manufacturers.

My wife works for a company that makes gimbals for drones. So yeah we make them, but you and I can’t buy them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:53:10 AM EDT
[#24]

Oh, the ones who paid lobbyists to push this according to many people
View All Quotes
We do.

Oh, the ones who paid lobbyists to push this according to many people

They did. Fuck Skydio.

This is simply about money. They can't compete with DJI so they bought politicians.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:

Very cool.

What does the X10D cost?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
We do.

Very cool.

What does the X10D cost?

About twice what a better equipped DJI does, and now you get to pay a subscription fee to use it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#26]
We need to ban more Chinese shit too.  Like this iPad I'm typing on right now. China is playing the long game and all Americans can do is look forward to the next episode of (insert popular tv show name).  
I wonder if anyone has looked closely at data gathering of a Tesla?  Hell, all US car mfgr are data gathering now and selling it to who ever steps up with a check.   Maybe make data gathering illegal?

But hey, here's a great idea congress .How about making the USA a business friendly country again and quit discouraging businesses by regulating and taxing the shit out of them first?  Give industries an incentive to bring manufacturing back home.
View Quote

Seems a little contradictory.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:56:15 AM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Yes but they (a) are small outfits and (b) use predominately Chinese components. I would have told Congress that if you're going to ban DJI and other Chinese manufacturers, then you damn well need to invest in the supply chain so that US manufacturers can compete with US made components at scale.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#28]
God damn our government sucks balls.
View Quote

This.

Not going to pass the Senate, nor survive a veto by Biden.

Don't those a-holes have any actual work they could do instead of jerking off with bullshit like this?

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Two things...

Can we first ban chinese "weather" balloons from flying over our airspace?

Which drone company is Pelosi invested in, because that's who going to win this.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:
For sale:

six year old DJI drone

$10,000

Cant get these any more
I know what I got
View Quote

I've been waiting for the price to come down on Mavic Mini's

S.O.L. now.

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By burkeva:

And this what is wrong with GD. You are more fearful of some Alex Jones based idiocy (herr derr derr the NSA knows what i had for breakfast)  that you are of the CHICOMs and their affiliates (Russians, Iranians, North Koreans).
View Quote

The Russians, Norks, Chyna, etc. etc. aren’t the clear and present threat to my life and liberty. My own government is.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:06:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By wvfarrier:
Interestingly, my wife bought me one several months ago, when I tried to download the app all the anti virus warning went off like crazy to the point I deleted the app without ever using it.   Drone has been sitting in my garage with the battery pulled  ever since
View Quote

@wvfarrier

I’ll cover shipping to me if you don’t want it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By CS223:
We did, not sure if we still do. 3DR made the Solo which still has a niche following. They couldn't compete with DJI.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CS223:

More accurately, they couldn't compete against the CCP. 3DR was trying to outsource their manufacturing to ChinaIsAsshoe but since the CCP owns DJI, they got first dibs on the manufacturing lines in the Chinese industrial base. So, 3DR had to take what was left after DJI took theirs. Not a recipe for success. Chris Anderson talked about all that in one of his talks/articles and how their industry works to the detriment of US companies.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By whiskey_bravo:

Calling Elon Musk.  Elon Musk to the courtesy phone please.
View Quote

Same guy that builds his cars in China?
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:12:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#35]
Originally Posted By Kraquine:

The Gov should put more effort into banning Chinese, Russian and Iranian students from attending U.S. engineering schools and subsequently being employed by the DoD.
View Quote

The Gov should put more effort into banning Chinese, Russian and Iranian students from attending U.S. engineering schools and subsequently taking that knowledge back to be weaponized by our enemies

Visit the engineering, mathematics, computer sciences classrooms of upper level US colleges & you'll notice the glaring lack of "Americans".  Guess our kids are too busy with "Gay Woman Studies" or "Trans People of Color Issues" to learn anything "practical"...

Guess their governments understand priorities & don't want to waste time & money on silliness.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#36]

Same guy that builds his cars in China?
View Quote

Interesting point. I wonder if those cars 'phone home' too.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:16:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WillieTangoFox] [#37]

View All Quotes

That is not “Alex Jones” herr derr derr. If you are not familiar with how Google shares your data with the government, go give your gmail address to a competent intel trainer / shop.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:

This.

Not going to pass the Senate, nor survive a veto by Biden.

Don't those a-holes have any actual work they could do instead of jerking off with bullshit like this?

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

It's wrapped up in the 2025 NDAA, and both sides love anti-China legislation. It might be one of the few things both parties have in common.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By armoredsaint:
it replaced my Mavic Pro from 7 years ago, it's been a good quadcopter.
View Quote

I had a gen 1 Mavic Pro as well.  It was damn good at the time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:17:49 AM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

Check their portfolios
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:18:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Hmmm. Adding a certain something to it would cause it to be an "arm" and protected under 2A.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:18:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By FDC:
I'd bet 90% of the drones used by government whether police or others are DJI.
View Quote

99%
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#43]
It’s really stupid that lawmakers are freaking out about drones, yet apps are likely a far more intrusive data collection method overall.  Typical lawmakers.
View Quote

Now do gun control, or basically any other topic.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Can’t let those pesky civilians have eyes in the skies.  Could put the narrative in jeopardy.

Pretty major moves being made to limit information gathering by the people.

Attacks against alternative media recently, attacks against Elon for what he has done with twitter.

What are they getting ready to do?
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#45]
The .gov doesn't like data collection competition.

"Either you play ball with US, or we stick the bat up your ass."
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#46]
A Chinese spy ring was just arrested for flying drones over Langley and Norfolk
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#47]
No doubt Gov all over the world are second guessing giving their populations access to various tech.

Myanmar rebels giving a 2 billion millitary a black eye with black market gear.

Can these Gen Z rebels win Myanmar's brutal civil war?

And yes...some of that is a bit silly.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Costco has the DJI mini 3 for $300 right now.  Should I run out and get it?
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Seems pretty hypocritical when they let a Chinese balloon float right frigging over the home base for the B2 bomber fleet.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#50]

This whole thing sounds like some silly paranoia.  Plenty of other ways to look at things and track our activities.
View All Quotes

That’s not the question I was responding to.

Yes, China had their own satellites.  They are subject to the same fundamental limitations as everyone else’s.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top