Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2023 8:21:50 PM EDT
Making an AK flight in a short time and haven't flown for quite a while. Checking a firearm for hiking in bear country, but it seems prudent to carry my EDC flashlight on board in case of emergency. Have any of you out there experienced TSA resistance or refusal for carrying a Surefire E2D ("Defender Ultra") or similar looking light? I've read all pertinent Delta and TSA policies (I think) and can't find anything preventing any flashlight, with the exception of packing certain lithium batteries past a specific amount in baggage.
My concern is running into some TSA person who's "triggered" by a scary-looking black flashlight with nasty weapon-like scalloped edges. What do you think?
Thanks.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/27/2023 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 8:34:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50-140] [#2]
I switched my Surefire Defender over to a non crenelated tail switch, easier to access.  I've flown with it about five or six times over the last three years with no problem.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve never had an issue with my EDC light. Throw it in my backpack, put it on the conveyor and pick it up on the other end.

Link Posted: 6/27/2023 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry a Fenix PD36 in my carryon backpack, never had an issue.

Link Posted: 6/27/2023 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I've flown with flashlights many times, even had an Italian "tsa equivalent" look into my 2000 lumen Fenix and turn it on to make sure it was a legit flashlight, bet he won't do that to any light again. He quickly turned away, blinked oddly several times, and put it back in my bag.

That being said, I've never even tried taking a light with a crenulated bezel in my carry on. I would be cautious. It may pass, but if an over zealous agent wants to make the case that it's a weapon it will be easier for him to make that case with a crenulated bezel.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd carry one without the strike bezel and tail cap. I almost lost mine in LHR security. Avoid tactical pens as well.  I carry a G2 in my bag.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#7]
You should be fine, OP. But like someone else said, you never know when some TSA agent will be a little bitch. But I’m sure you can appeal something to a supervisor if they think it’s restricted.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Just disassemble it with the batteries in factory box.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:23:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ve done over 1000 flights, domestic and intl,  with a similar Fenix.   Never had an issue.  Does it take regular AA also?
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 6:21:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
I’ve done over 1000 flights, domestic and intl,  with a similar Fenix.   Never had an issue.  Does it take regular AA also?
View Quote

No, two C123 lithiums.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 6:32:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Been flying for 22 years since TSA and never an issue with my Surefire.

Ultra Defense E2D and no issues.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 6:42:40 AM EDT
[#12]
They’ve never taken my flashlight. One looked carefully at my brass knuckle bottle opener but didn’t say anything.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#13]
op: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/flashlights

TSA checkpoints can be a hit or miss. I had one glorified, self-indignant bozo call out my 'holster' once at the security checkpoint. What was my 'holster'? A tiny cell phone pouch. Same airport also nearly confiscated my fork because it was part of a multitool that contained a wine bottle cork opener.

Conversely, have flown with disassembled CNC machines, desktop computers, and high voltage capacitors in my carry-ons before, no problem through the X-ray scanner. You do realize those scanners only show colored figures and outlines, right?
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Had a Mag-Tac in a carry-on for a trip to Chicago and back.  No issues.
Top Top