[#2]
Measure once, cut 87 times?
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Measure once, cut 87 times?
View Quote

It's a government contract thing. You get more $$ for change orders than the original bid.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By guns762:

Yup, Will do.

We won't get the lexan till tomorrow, if shipping stays on track.   We will probably make our first attempt next week.   Today will be rebuild the Raptor's ass end, and develop the cargo bay frame work.  

Of course, more bondo and sanding on the canopy "buck", as well as our halo guide.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Don't forget to leave extra material around the perimeter of the canopy for attach fasteners.

Yup, Will do.

We won't get the lexan till tomorrow, if shipping stays on track.   We will probably make our first attempt next week.   Today will be rebuild the Raptor's ass end, and develop the cargo bay frame work.  

Of course, more bondo and sanding on the canopy "buck", as well as our halo guide.

I haven't kept up with the last few pages - are you using lexan or acrylic for the canopy?
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 9:58:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Lexan.

1/16th thickness
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ranxerox911:

I haven't kept up with the last few pages - are you using lexan or acrylic for the canopy?

Lexan.

1/16th thickness

Any particular reason for the choice?  While Lexan is stronger and can be formed easily, its glass transition temperature is higher than acrylic by about 100deg (~200F vs. ~300F), making handling a little trickier.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:53:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#10]
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 12:22:05 AM EDT
[#11]

It's not as brittle when cutting.  We've had bad luck with acrylic cracking.  That's about the only reason.
View Quote

Yeah, it is prone to do that when it's thin - if the woodshop has a band saw with a bimetal blade, that works pretty well.  If you're using a jigsaw, a grit blade with the acrylic sandwiched between a couple pieces of luan works as well.

The acrylic might be easier to form, although it does have a bad habit of forming bubbles if it gets left in the oven too long.  It's also cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 9:30:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#12]
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Rivets help.

Link Posted: 10/18/2021 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By widowed2012:
Rivets help.

View Quote

I LOL'd.

Sorry.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#16]
No pictures....   phone is kaput.

But Apple's just work!

We got the initial cuts done, and screws backed out of all of the frames.  Its funny how if there is one screw still in one of the frames, the whole thing will not move.

Only taking 8 out 12 cylinder head bolts out gives the same problem. Learn in HS, Kids!

Even with all of the screws out, we needed ratchet straps to slowly squeeze the fuselage up to meet the cockpit section.   Reassembly will begin with the frames, then the secondary connecting 1x2s and 2x2s.   We are going to have to take a hard look at the whole bottom around the weapons bays.    There may be more rework there.  Theoretically, everything should fit better now.....theoretically.
View Quote

Theoretically, theory and practice are the same. Practically, they aren't!
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#17]
It's like a broken engagement - better you found out now than later.  Glad you found the issue, OP.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By raffi383:
An idea in case, you know, you guys get bored.

What if there were two planes flying in formation?  They don't both need to be F-22s.  The other plane could be protruding from the wall.  Half plane.  Half mural.

Guessing it would depend on how the full plane will be positioned relative to the wall and what your other plans are.
View Quote

Still catching up on this freaking awesome thread of a kick azz Art class in....WY??!

But this idea of others in formation around it where only bits are seen came to mind....as well as the music /sound department recording and mixing a kick tushy version of the opening music of Top Gun.  Music student can compose?  Not sure what your school music department is, but man alive kids are amazing in creativity!

Now... back to reading....
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TeeVeeTee:

Still catching up on this freaking awesome thread of a kick azz Art class in....WY??!

But this idea of others in formation around it where only bits are seen came to mind....as well as the music /sound department recording and mixing a kick tushy version of the opening music of Top Gun.  Music student can compose?  Not sure what your school music department is, but man alive kids are amazing in creativity!

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TeeVeeTee:
Originally Posted By raffi383:
An idea in case, you know, you guys get bored.

What if there were two planes flying in formation?  They don't both need to be F-22s.  The other plane could be protruding from the wall.  Half plane.  Half mural.

Guessing it would depend on how the full plane will be positioned relative to the wall and what your other plans are.

If we're getting the band involved you might as well keep it Air Force themed and make it the intro to One Vision.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 6:04:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By brass:

https://i.imgur.com/ElEzL9D.jpg

To get a "straight" edge at the top of the grass to the sky, cut frisk or mask to match the curve, or just make a big french curve that would have all the radius needed.  Then hold it about 1-2" away from the wall and follow your landscape while spraying 8" in front of the mask to get a very uniform nice and fuzzy fade.    Might take two people (one holding curve another spraying, though one can do it in small bits at a time, just keep distances between wall and mask and mask and gun constant. or some stand offs and a bit of tape but once that prep is done the actual painting goes nearly instant.

The closer the gun is to the frisk, the softer the line, the closer the frisk is to the work, the harder the line, with the extreme being with masking tape stuck to the very edge giving a literal wedge of color change.   I have seen people use the 3" 3M Blue tape and fold in thirds  twice once with sticky side out the other in so that you have a tab resting out from the wall like a ledge with the thinnest part taped lower, then work along the mask with proper gun placement.  That's one of the methods that are used when blending colors with airbrush on a vehicle when a huge line of fade needs to be kept straight and uniform.

Cut tape lengths (long are easier to get perfectly straight than short, also harder to origami, fold over 1/3 on itself so there is 2/3" of sticky left, put that along edge then flex ledge over line to keep and spray so the line is in the "shadow" of that tape edge.

View Quote

Ho-lee chit Brass, what DON’T you know about?

Wish you lived in my neighborhood so I could pop in with the random “hey, what do you know about....?”
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#23]
As a couple of my team leaders tackle the new wing structures, they are suggesting we have 4 cables to hold the F22.  Two to support the weight, and one on each wing tip to make the Raptor change positions during the day.........

I'm not sure we can do this, but dang!   I told them, my answer is not a "no".  We will pursue it a bit and see what we can do.   Motor or two per wing able to spool up and down doesn't seem that difficult.  If we have the balance right we should be able to do it with a single motor spooling up one wing, then allowing gravity to bring it back down later when it unspools.
View Quote

Ooooooo!  When you’ve a game against other High Schools you move to “Competition Position” or if you’re school isn’t too PC, “Combat”
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 11:38:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Ranxerox911:

Yeah, it is prone to do that when it's thin - if the woodshop has a band saw with a bimetal blade, that works pretty well.  If you're using a jigsaw, a grit blade with the acrylic sandwiched between a couple pieces of luan works as well.

The acrylic might be easier to form, although it does have a bad habit of forming bubbles if it gets left in the oven too long.  It's also cheaper.
View Quote

Oh my Lord... is this English?

People here are great!  This has been a great thread to find and I’m sharing with all sorts of folks!

Still reading!
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 11:57:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#25]
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 2:21:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:

If we're getting the band involved you might as well keep it Air Force themed and make it the intro to One Vision.
View Quote

Ah... good point.

Now I gotta go listen to that song....
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:25:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#27]
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 10:54:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#28]
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 1:20:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Drsalee] [#29]
I watched that last F-22 video………FANTASTIC!

OP makes me proud !  He is a class act.  Pardon the pun.

Link Posted: 10/20/2021 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Drsalee:
I watched that last F-22 video………FANTASTIC!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161250/51530592-60A2-43E7-84AB-1E8D1B0D2545-2137029.jpg
View Quote

Side note: your use of implants and teeth as paperweights makes me smile.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:30:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Drsalee:  I watched that last F-22 video………FANTASTIC!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161250/51530592-60A2-43E7-84AB-1E8D1B0D2545-2137029.jpg
View Quote

Bravo Zulu.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#32]
F-22 is my favorite current fighter. Absolute beast. Looking forward to what your kids do this year.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:58:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#34]
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:08:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#35]
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#38]
My thoughts on the matter.
EXTREME STUNNING !!! CHENGDU FC-1 RC TURBINE MODEL JET FLIGHT SHOW !!! WOW !!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#39]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhwv-Hos8xA
View Quote

I watched all that and he landed it safely?  Come on!  
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By SilasB:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SilasB:

Link Posted: 10/27/2021 12:16:13 AM EDT
[#41]

I'm not real confident we can make that work.   We will see.

We are currently discussing the "mach cones" coming out of the thrust vectoring nozzles.   Students are framing out the nozzle area and we want to make sure we have enough stability there to attach the cones if that is what we do.    Our idea is to form  clear tubes of lexan/acrylic.   Those will be attached to the nozzles.   Inside the tubes we would spiral out bundles of fiberoptic lights.   We found with the unicorns that where we hot glue the fibers, creates a light point.   The hot glue to attach the bundles round the inside of the tubes should allow us to create the mach cones we need.   That is the theory.     We might be able to spray a thin coat of paint inside the tubes to add a bit more color in the areas we need.

Not cheap, but would do both engines.    
www.amazon.com/dp/B08QMZD2K2

Students are a bit skeptical of the overall affect of this.  The thought is the tubes just won't look good.   The nozzles will be pointing up a bit, like our tractor lights, so much of the inside will never be seen unless we add mirrors again. I guess we can scrap the tubes if they don't look good.  Maybe wait to order the light kit until we have two good tubes turned out?

Thoughts would be appreciated.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AeroE:
I hope there are plenty of photos of the canopy molding work.

If that transparency looks worth half a hoot, all of you should be very proud of pulling that off.  ("On"!   )

I'm not real confident we can make that work.   We will see.

We are currently discussing the "mach cones" coming out of the thrust vectoring nozzles.   Students are framing out the nozzle area and we want to make sure we have enough stability there to attach the cones if that is what we do.    Our idea is to form  clear tubes of lexan/acrylic.   Those will be attached to the nozzles.   Inside the tubes we would spiral out bundles of fiberoptic lights.   We found with the unicorns that where we hot glue the fibers, creates a light point.   The hot glue to attach the bundles round the inside of the tubes should allow us to create the mach cones we need.   That is the theory.     We might be able to spray a thin coat of paint inside the tubes to add a bit more color in the areas we need.

Not cheap, but would do both engines.    
www.amazon.com/dp/B08QMZD2K2

Students are a bit skeptical of the overall affect of this.  The thought is the tubes just won't look good.   The nozzles will be pointing up a bit, like our tractor lights, so much of the inside will never be seen unless we add mirrors again. I guess we can scrap the tubes if they don't look good.  Maybe wait to order the light kit until we have two good tubes turned out?

Thoughts would be appreciated.  
Instead of dots of glue perhaps an adhesive you can roll or spray on that would let the fiber optic show the length?
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 12:22:54 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote
Mad skills as an RC pilot.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 2:15:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#43]
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 4:04:30 AM EDT
[#44]
There's got to be some members here with ties to a Raptor Wing or two that could hook you up with some patches and swag.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 7:32:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 8:13:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Mopseydocks6014:
There's got to be some members here with ties to a Raptor Wing or two that could hook you up with some patches and swag.
View Quote
Working on it...
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 10:30:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#48]
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 11:33:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#50]

Good info.  Making notes for the student.

Thanks.  

If we put this on the tail of our F-14, would the "VF-307" be appropriate?  
View Quote

Yes- "VF" is Navy-speak for fixed-wing fighter.
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top