Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 34
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:40:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UncleEric] [#1]
Originally Posted By Ashraam:

I might be mistaken, but I think the original idea was to offer both a "project" shirt like normal for students, plus the investor shirt for those that wanted that instead.
View Quote

Ok, if so, then I misunderstood / missed that part.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 4:11:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TrashWrencher] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By UncleEric:
Although the Investor signs did make me chuckle, I don't like the "investor" thing on the bottom of the shirts.  
Whether you invested funds, time, goods or mentoring, we need to make this all about the young people and not about ourselves.  This is THEIR project, not ours!

If you give a gift, then try to manage how it's used, was it really a gift after all?

View Quote

For me, “investor” is some tongue-in-cheek humor. While I do have a supermodel wife, I am not a millionaire. Hell, some months we do good to be thousandaires.  I can’t justify matching some of the generous gifts some arfcomers are able to give to Gun’s program. However, I can always justify buying one of their shirts, which is something I’ve done several times, with the exception of my hiatus from here.

I called it “sinister,” because not a single normie is going to see “investor” and not have some curiosity about it. Some outgoing folks might even then ask where I got the shirt and I can show the thread to them.  I love showing off talented kids’ crafts, even if I’m not the one mentoring the kid.

Too many people, even in rural SWMO, discount art class in high school, and that same attitude has been shown towards wood and metal shop since I graduated a couple of decades ago. If I can get a little light to go off in enough parents’ heads, maybe we’ll see a revival of the trades-as-arts in school again.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By guns762:
Black missile, instead of orange.   Students wanted to see that changed.

https://i.imgur.com/2jQkCuD.png
View Quote

That's looking sharp.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

The black looks better. I think the paw looked odd against the orange.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Thanks for the feedback.

Not sure about the "investor" thing on the bottom.   It can easily come off of there.  We were just trying to try different things.
View Quote

I'm not a fan of the "investor" slogan.  I'd rather just wear what my team is wearing.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:25:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Manduck] [#8]
Originally Posted By Seiran:
Front #1 Back #3 with an AAMRAAM or Sidewinder.
View Quote

My vote as well.

And I agree - the black missile looks better.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Whatever you guys come up with, I'm down for one. You put my sign on the wall, how can I not reciprocate?
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TrashWrencher:

For me, "investor" is some tongue-in-cheek humor. While I do have a supermodel wife, I am not a millionaire. Hell, some months we do good to be thousandaires.  I can't justify matching some of the generous gifts some arfcomers are able to give to Gun's program. However, I can always justify buying one of their shirts, which is something I've done several times, with the exception of my hiatus from here.

I called it "sinister," because not a single normie is going to see "investor" and not have some curiosity about it. Some outgoing folks might even then ask where I got the shirt and I can show the thread to them.  I love showing off talented kids' crafts, even if I'm not the one mentoring the kid.

Too many people, even in rural SWMO, discount art class in high school, and that same attitude has been shown towards wood and metal shop since I graduated a couple of decades ago. If I can get a little light to go off in enough parents' heads, maybe we'll see a revival of the trades-as-arts in school again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By UncleEric:
Although the Investor signs did make me chuckle, I don't like the "investor" thing on the bottom of the shirts.  
Whether you invested funds, time, goods or mentoring, we need to make this all about the young people and not about ourselves.  This is THEIR project, not ours!

If you give a gift, then try to manage how it's used, was it really a gift after all?

For me, "investor" is some tongue-in-cheek humor. While I do have a supermodel wife, I am not a millionaire. Hell, some months we do good to be thousandaires.  I can't justify matching some of the generous gifts some arfcomers are able to give to Gun's program. However, I can always justify buying one of their shirts, which is something I've done several times, with the exception of my hiatus from here.

I called it "sinister," because not a single normie is going to see "investor" and not have some curiosity about it. Some outgoing folks might even then ask where I got the shirt and I can show the thread to them.  I love showing off talented kids' crafts, even if I'm not the one mentoring the kid.

Too many people, even in rural SWMO, discount art class in high school, and that same attitude has been shown towards wood and metal shop since I graduated a couple of decades ago. If I can get a little light to go off in enough parents' heads, maybe we'll see a revival of the trades-as-arts in school again.
We all give to our ability. I have little to no artistic ability, can offer no insight into means and methods. I do have time and money. It all works out in the end. Increasing awareness is as valuable as anything else.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
Front #1 with this back. Sharp!
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AZNetEng:
We all give to our ability. I have little to no artistic ability, can offer no insight into means and methods. I do have time and money. It all works out in the end. Increasing awareness is as valuable as anything else.
View Quote

I would’ve loved to have had a teacher like Guns in High School.

On the same note, I would’ve killed to have had parents and counselors that hadn’t discouraged me from taking the shop classes we had back in the 90s.

There’s latent metal and wood working potential in me. I’m occasionally allowed to practice it at work, but now that I’m in my 40s, with an 8 year old, and the usual adult challenges, finding time to explore that potential is a problem.

There’s some serious potential for multiple types of artistic talent in every one of these kids, and Guns knows how to recognize a student’s strength (that the kid may not even know exists) and help them explore and mold it. For Montana, that unicorn taxidermy project must’ve been actually thought provoking as much for the adults as the kids who worked on it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#13]

I would've loved to have had a teacher like Guns in High School.

On the same note, I would've killed to have had parents and counselors that hadn't discouraged me from taking the shop classes we had back in the 90s.

There's latent metal and wood working potential in me. I'm occasionally allowed to practice it at work, but now that I'm in my 40s, with an 8 year old, and the usual adult challenges, finding time to explore that potential is a problem.

There's some serious potential for multiple types of artistic talent in every one of these kids, and Guns knows how to recognize a student's strength (that the kid may not even know exists) and help them explore and mold it. For Montana, that unicorn taxidermy project must've been actually thought provoking as much for the adults as the kids who worked on it.
View All Quotes

I would've loved to have had a teacher like Guns in High School.

On the same note, I would've killed to have had parents and counselors that hadn't discouraged me from taking the shop classes we had back in the 90s.

There's latent metal and wood working potential in me. I'm occasionally allowed to practice it at work, but now that I'm in my 40s, with an 8 year old, and the usual adult challenges, finding time to explore that potential is a problem.

There's some serious potential for multiple types of artistic talent in every one of these kids, and Guns knows how to recognize a student's strength (that the kid may not even know exists) and help them explore and mold it. For Montana, that unicorn taxidermy project must've been actually thought provoking as much for the adults as the kids who worked on it.
I struggled with the same, but of late have made the time. Nothing fancy as yet but those are coming.

Some chacuterie boards, a french rolling pin, some bowels, and a couple of big butcher blocks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I struggled with the same, but of late have made the time. Nothing fancy as yet but those are coming.

Some chacuterie boards, a french rolling pin, some bowels, and a couple of big butcher blocks.
View Quote

I watched wranglerstar make a really nice work bench out of 2x and 4x4s a year or so ago, and thought “not only could I do that, but I could probably make it my own somehow,” but, I lack the tools and have other priorities than to buy things like even a hand planer. I might get around to trying stuff like that, but I need to handle short term realities first.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#15]

I watched wranglerstar make a really nice work bench out of 2x and 4x4s a year or so ago, and thought "not only could I do that, but I could probably make it my own somehow," but, I lack the tools and have other priorities than to buy things like even a hand planer. I might get around to trying stuff like that, but I need to handle short term realities first.
View All Quotes

I watched wranglerstar make a really nice work bench out of 2x and 4x4s a year or so ago, and thought "not only could I do that, but I could probably make it my own somehow," but, I lack the tools and have other priorities than to buy things like even a hand planer. I might get around to trying stuff like that, but I need to handle short term realities first.
I hear ya. BTW... did that come over ok last night?
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 9:19:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By brass:
Hit up your local body shop or the shop you had the student at for 3 floz Clear Base and 1 floz Medium Activator.   That would be a lot cheaper than the "Quart Kit" of clear base and the little bottle of activator. (Spray with HVLP gun in area with GREAT ventilation and wear respirator in addition)

The Clear Base has a long shelf life if you keep the lid on.  The Activator is what goes bad after it hits air and goes into storage without a vacuum bag on it.  So rather than waste the pint of activator from the quart kit due to only using once a year, see if you can get a little bottle of 1 floz clear medium Activator and the 3 floz of Clear Base from friendly body shop that has Clear/Activator in bulk.   (½ pint total)

Mix half of each together and you get about 25 minutes of working time to put down a good layer of clear.  Wait a day and sand out any bad bits, then repeat after it has cured a bit longer and is looking good.  It doesn't run near a easily as the pigments but it will sag if put on too thick, aim for a 3-5 mil finish (0.003-0.005") between the two coats and it'll look like a million bucks with no further waxing/maintenance needed.

The gold would be looking a lot better if it were a urethane automotive paint which is translucent when mixed ½ / ½ with Reducer so there's no splotches,just he even tone added per pass.  The rattle cans are made for '1 coat coverage"  so even the light accumulations turn into blobs rather than blend into the background.   Buying some gold of a bad mix from local auto body supply store might work if they have a batch of a gold-ish color that didn't match they have them on the shelf for under $10 instead of getting rid of them, just buy a quart of reducer (also use to clean your spray guns with) and you'd be all set.

That's not to say you can't get a really good base color fade with Krylon, look at graffiti coming out with amazing color blends, but it's using much more time and skill than Normally needed due to how opaque it is.   Once it's cured, I'd not look back and use the last bit for the perfect depth and finish.

Otherwise, Quart Kit of clear $80 (if you have a vacuum bagger you could store the activator for a year two in a cool spot, but generally want to use it Within a month or two once it contacts air, it's sort of like super glue in that regard --  keep it cool and away from fresh air contact which kicks it off.

The gut punch is getting a pint of gold with iridescent which would put you into classic car custom paint shop tints for $50/pint, though you can get iridescent and prism mixes to add to the first coat of clear coat as a mid-coat to add more depth to the finish, think the airbrush jobs on motorcycle tanks how they are nearly holographic, what you are doing is basically the same concept but you're using less forgiving paint with the one coat coverage (one drop is opaque so translucent only happens when the drops aren't all touching).

Have the local body guy stop and take a peek at it and he could give you much more advice then a simpleton like me who's only dabbled in automotive for a dozen cars, no history of showplace winners in vehicles.

TL;DR - Spent the $80 for quart kit clear, or get the rattle can 2k clear for $25 (must use both coat inside half an hour after activator mixes though before it starts spitting out blobs due to curing from activator), or get local body guy to donate a small amount of each for cause.
View Quote

You beat me to it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Front 2, back 1.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Whatever is decided is good with me t shirt wise!
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
That's awesome
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#22]
He's been sick the last two days....don't anybody show him these.
View Quote

And there's no possible way he's been tracking your progress from home.

{Can we hear him yelling from 3 states away?}

"Mom, I'm not sick! I'm going to school! Those idjits have messed up my canopy for the last time!"
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#24]
That's an impressive mechanism in the weapons bay.  Will it be able to drop freshmen?
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Looks like this is going to be the favorite with both students and arfcom crew members

https://i.imgur.com/CW54o6V.png

The front is still in discussion for students.  
These two are the most popular:
https://i.imgur.com/sHG40MK.png

https://i.imgur.com/W5mWpXp.png
View All Quotes
Whatever is decided is good with me t shirt wise!

Looks like this is going to be the favorite with both students and arfcom crew members

Panther stands out more in that version. No preference from me on the front.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 1:27:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Freiheit338] [#27]
F22 flight controls lecture
Special Lecture: F-22 Flight Controls

Link Posted: 12/16/2021 1:35:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: redoubt] [#28]
This came late yesterday.

Hopefully we can start messing with how our thrusters look using the lexan tubes and these fiber optic bundles.
https://i.imgur.com/XBwfDm5.jpg
View Quote

For inspiration.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Count me in when they are available.
I get a lot of compliments from the shipyard.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 9:11:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#33]
I would think that the t-shirts should have "F-22" somewhere in the design since that's what it's all about.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 10:38:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Hey @guns762 I just had this thought - We need a poll for the pilot's name and call sign that will be painted on the aircraft.
View Quote

LTC Charles "Snoopy" Brown
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey @guns762 I just had this thought - We need a poll for the pilot's name and call sign that will be painted on the aircraft.
View Quote

Is the F22 a 2 seater? Pilot Aiden, co pilot Steve.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 11:13:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#39]
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#40]
This showed upbon my Twitter feed. Thought it was appropriate.

Link Posted: 12/21/2021 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 3:55:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZNetEng] [#42]

Nice!  That has some good detail too.    Saving and printing for skin details.
View All Quotes
This showed upbon my Twitter feed. Thought it was appropriate.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/430646/FHGYsG2XwAAxdD_-2211757.jpg

Nice!  That has some good detail too.    Saving and printing for skin details.
Shows a good rivet count...

Link Posted: 12/21/2021 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Shows a good rivet count...

View Quote

I think other detail photos showed that those were actually Phillips-head screws. So, not only does there need to be a fastener, it needs to have a tiny "X" drawn on it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Second Third Worst job in Art Class: Installing the Rivets.

Worst Second Worst Job in Art Class: Painting all the X's on the Rivets.

New! Worst Job In Art Class: Touching up all the X's on the Rivets that they messed up during installation.

Link Posted: 12/23/2021 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#45]
F22's circling the RV park this morning!

Link Posted: 12/26/2021 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Mak_380:

New! Worst Job In Art Class: Touching up all the X's on the Rivets that they messed up during installation.

View Quote

Nah... those would be the one's the maintainers ding up and leave for some poor tin-bender to drill out.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 6:06:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#47]
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Nice!
What other tools might you be needing?
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 3:48:39 AM EDT
[#50]
I’m so darned upset at myself for not moving there so my girls could be in your class!

We stopped in Idaho, but I’ve always loved WY.  My hubs would have hated the wind... but with such a great school for the girls he could have handled 4 years.

Also, my Mom and I went to Cody when the Art show was there and the gal who let us in informed us of the rule of no taxidermy anymore.  I was sad as that would have been cool to see, and told her as much.  She agreed wholeheartedly with us. I was reading the Unicorn thread and had not realized it was YOU and YOUR STUDENTS who were shafted by that!

I’m sorry that happened, but glad you guys went out on top.

Love these threads as they truly are a very uplifting read.

Great teachers make great students, and you’ve great students.

Though ... can we have the task board Haiku again?
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top