Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:27:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I am told that the real Rolex has an identifier crystal of the Rolex crown etched at the 6 o clock position.

I just started getting into the luxury watch game so I do read a little.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tell me you knew Barry Seal. I was a Louisiana LEO from '82 to 2012. Lots of crazy shit going on in my younger years.
View Quote

No, but I knew the guy who set up the hit on Seal, Max Mermelstein.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am told that the real Rolex has an identifier crystal of the Rolex crown etched at the 6 o clock position.

View Quote
Yes it does, and that's been successfully repped for quite some time now.
In fact, an interest tidbit - the lasered Crown on the sapphire crystal on gen watches is slightly wonky, done on purpose.
Whereas on the Reps the lasered crown is very symmetrical. Odd but true.  Very obvious in side by side pics.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Interesting comment.   Why does wearing a Rolex represent “Achievement” to you?    
View Quote

Appreciation of the finer things in life.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Before I bought my first Rolex I bought a fake one.  I hated the feeling and was embarrassed to wear it.

For me, a Rolex represents success for ME.  Because let’s be real, nobody will notice it and half the time you kind of don’t want people to notice it because it brings unwanted attention.  But I can look at it and know that I got to a place in life that buying an expensive watch was possible.  

The fake one was just that, fake.  It stood for nothing and if someone ever did notice it I couldn’t lie and say it was real and saying it was fake is just as bad.

You buy an expensive watch for yourself. Not for impressing anyone else.
View Quote

This. Just like the Porsche 911, I fell in love with the Rolex Stainless Sub when I was a kid. Those two things topped my bucket list into my 50’s and still do today. I have both and they are everything I expected—performance, the look, quality. I can daily drive my 911 and daily wear my Sub. Beautiful and functional.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

...and die a horrible death when the wings fall off in flight
View Quote

You bring back. I fix!
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In fact, an interest tidbit - the lasered Crown on the sapphire crystal on gen watches is slightly wonky, done on purpose.
Whereas on the Reps the lasered crown is very symmetrical. Odd but true.  Very obvious in side by side pics.
View Quote

Yep. And by the way, if you have a classic Rolex and need a new crystal, Rolex WILL replace it with the crown version, and you don't have a say-so in the matter. When I finally managed to smash the original crystal on my 2001 Sub a couple of years back (pics are buried in this thread), Rolex replaced it with the crown. I don't care, I've watched mine go from the $4K purchase price up to almost $12K, and will undoubtedly see it retreat all the way back down, but if the investment means something to you it might matter.

Amazing hard to see, the light has to be just right...left of the six hash mark, just above the "S" in SWlSS MADE.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Tudor is legit. Rolex went too "luxury" IMO.
View Quote

I have a Black Bay and a Sub. The Tudor feels and looks (quality) the same in every way as my Sub.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Man, I don't see a crown on my crystal, how small is this thing.

Yes, it's real, yes I bought it from an AD. Sub 41mm, no date. My tiny little crown is between "Swiss" and "Made" on the face.

ETA: Never mind, I found the fucker. I'm embarrassed to say I never knew about it or I forgot.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Man, I don't see a crown on my crystal, how small is this thing.

Yes, it's real, yes I bought it from an AD. Sub 41mm, no date.
View Quote

It's freakin' tiny, and etched (so whitish) on a clear crystal. Turn on a lamp and hold the watch directly under the light and roll the watch very slightly from side-to-side. Like I said, maybe a millimeter left of the six bar, and over the "S".
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's freakin' tiny, and etched (so whitish) on a clear crystal. Turn on a lamp and hold the watch directly under the light and roll the watch very slightly from side-to-side. Like I said, maybe a millimeter left of the six bar, and over the "S".
View Quote

Yeah, I found it, I had to go out in the Sun. You're not kidding about it being tiny.

I'm embarrassed to say I never knew or forgot. smh.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 12:19:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The Yacht-Master comes in 5 sizes. Current are 37mm, 40mm and 42mm. There is also a 29mm ladies and a 35mm, both of which have been discontinued. Personally I think the 40mm platinum dial (discontinued) platinum/ss is the best all around watch. I'm probably a bit biased though.
View Quote
Blue dial for meAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah, I found it, I had to go out in the Sun. You're not kidding about it being tiny.

I'm embarrassed to say I never knew or forgot. smh.
View Quote

I actually had to buy a jewelers loupe off Amazon to see mine on my Exp 1, damn it sucks getting old.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Believe it or not, I am currently aboard the Crystal Symphony and the jewelry store is selling certified used Rolexes. They have nothing I want but it's interesting. They have about 10-15 on display.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Believe it or not, I am currently aboard the Crystal Symphony and the jewelry store is selling certified used Rolexes. They have nothing I want but it's interesting. They have about 10-15 on display.
View Quote

What models do they have on hand and how does the pricing compare to AD new?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What models do they have on hand and how does the pricing compare to AD new?
View Quote
I will go back by and get that info. The only price I looked into that was close to what I would be interested in was a beautiful gold presidential selling for 30k. I'll be aboard for a couple of weeks. I'll get more intel for you guys.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I will go back by and get that info. The only price I looked into that was close to what I would be interested in was a beautiful gold presidential selling for 30k. I'll be aboard for a couple of weeks. I'll get more intel for you guys.
View Quote

I’d be all over that.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.  See if these work.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/6/2024 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Here’s a decent picture of the etched coronet from my Explorer II.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I am hanging in there - I believe we’ll see $5-6K 5 digit Subs in the next two years. Market is saturated and COVID boondoggle bucks are long gone. People will start off loading “investment” pieces increasingly. It’s already started.
View Quote

Man, I hope this happens. Just want a 16610 Sub. Don't even need/want the ceramic bezel.

Link Posted: 7/6/2024 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

In the end...does it really matter?

View Quote

No, it doesn't.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Man, I hope this happens. Just want a 16610 Sub. Don't even need/want the ceramic bezel.

View Quote

I’m in the same boat. Birth year Submariner would be a cool piece to own.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ain’t never gonna happen. Sub’s going down to $5-6k.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#24]

AD let me try that one on.  This was in 2018.  I didn’t buy it, probably should have.  It was around $14K….

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you hunt they are out there right now for low $8k - check Watchrecon. I believe the economy is only going to get worse and we’ll see people continue to off load luxury items - driving prices down. The trend has already started. Understanding they don’t make the 5 digits anymore- they will retain value with collectors, but there are a lot of 5 digit subs out there.
Ironically a BB58 is a far better watch (power reserve, accuracy, just about all technical aspects) and can be had lightly used for about $3k nowadays.
Patience will be the key I think.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Correct.

I’d rather wear my $100 Casio than an $800 Rolex rep.

I’d be less embarrassed too.
View Quote

I would rather not bling at all. In small towns if you start getting fancy it can invite attention. I dont want that in my line of work
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you hunt they are out there right now for low $8k - check Watchrecon. I believe the economy is only going to get worse and we’ll see people continue to off load luxury items - driving prices down. The trend has already started. Understanding they don’t make the 5 digits anymore- they will retain value with collectors, but there are a lot of 5 digit subs out there.
Ironically a BB58 is a far better watch (power reserve, accuracy, just about all technical aspects) and can be had lightly used for about $3k nowadays.
View Quote

You are only looking at the US economy, plenty of people around the world buying Rolex watches. If the prices start going down, Rolex will cut production. $8K is entirely possible, not $5-6k. If the World economy gets that bad, people aren't going to be buying Rolex watches.

I didn't buy mine to make money... So, in a way, I'd love to see the people who bought them up to profit later take a beating.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You are only looking at the US economy, plenty of people around the world buying Rolex watches. If the prices start going down, Rolex will cut production. $8K is entirely possible, not $5-6k. If the World economy gets that bad, people aren't going to be buying Rolex watches.

I didn't buy mine to make money... So, in a way, I'd love to see the people who bought them up to profit later take a beating.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just checked…13 14060s on Chrono24 for under $8k right now. I could care less about any investment, and am glad to see the prices trending down. Like most here I am buying a watch to wear and enjoy. I am glad to see an undeniable downward trend and I think will continue to do so. The economy is getting worse every day. Totally feasible we’ll see $5-6k used Subs. They are a ton of them out there. Price trend as of today, last 5 years:Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/7/2024 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I just checked…13 14060s on Chrono24 for under $8k right now. I could care less about any investment, and am glad to see the prices trending down. Like most here I am buying a watch to wear and enjoy. I am glad to see an undeniable downward trend and I think will continue to do so. The economy is getting worse every day. Totally feasible we’ll see $5-6k used Subs. They are a ton of them out there. Price trend as of today, last 5 years:https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/112468/IMG_3596_png-3260443.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just checked…13 14060s on Chrono24 for under $8k right now. I could care less about any investment, and am glad to see the prices trending down. Like most here I am buying a watch to wear and enjoy. I am glad to see an undeniable downward trend and I think will continue to do so. The economy is getting worse every day. Totally feasible we’ll see $5-6k used Subs. They are a ton of them out there. Price trend as of today, last 5 years:https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/112468/IMG_3596_png-3260443.JPG

But the graph doesn't reflect the reality of what happened during Covid, so you have to use caution when looking at that huge spike.  The trend is still upward minus that ridiculousness of people paying far over retail price.  You aren't getting even the 14060 for $5-6k, and if you do, buy it without a second thought.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Great reads thanks.

McGregor wearing a fake, and likely other "celebrities" is not really surprising. I can also see those fakes being a gateway. You fall in love with the thought and look that it got you to let the moths out of the wallet to buy the genuine one. I started with a fake Seamaster Bond watch around 1999/2000 and ended up buying the genuine. I hate a fake Tudor FXD before buying the genuine literally the day after I received the fake I liked it so much. Other fakes have saved me a fortune thinking I'd like the genuine and later realizing just not the style I'd want to be invested in.

I actually like the idea of decoy watches and recently purchased a fake Pam 297 to compliment my genuine. First, even with the quick connect lug rods, I don't want to be taking the bracelet on and off a lot. The fake allows me to change out various leather, rubber, and cloth straps on it. Second, If somebody wants to mug me for my $300 fake they can have it, they're not getting the $6,500 genuine.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#32]

More like buying one of these…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Magnum PI wore the Pepsi bezel
View Quote

Was that his or did he borrow it from Robin?
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Was that his or did he borrow it from RobinHiggins?
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

No way. If it ever touches $8k for a new one, I’ll take ten!  

I just don’t see them decreasing in price.

ETA: Oops, I see you’re talking about the used market.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 4:45:21 PM EDT
[#36]
It's like sticking AMG badges to a mercedes c250
Everyone that knows the difference will mock it, nobody else will even notice or care.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don't know if I could knowingly wear a fake Rolex. I say this respectfully, I'm not trying to shit on any one here that wears fakes. If that's you, that is fine but I don't think I could personally do it.  I feel that I respect my self too much to do that. I would rather wear watch that I could afford that was a real name, even if it was a cheap Seiko or Casio, then a fake Rolex.
View Quote

See I'd be too worried about wearing a real one.  People think my Steinhart gmt is a rolex all the time.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Great reads thanks.

McGregor wearing a fake, and likely other "celebrities" is not really surprising. I can also see those fakes being a gateway. You fall in love with the thought and look that it got you to let the moths out of the wallet to buy the genuine one. I started with a fake Seamaster Bond watch around 1999/2000 and ended up buying the genuine. I hate a fake Tudor FXD before buying the genuine literally the day after I received the fake I liked it so much. Other fakes have saved me a fortune thinking I'd like the genuine and later realizing just not the style I'd want to be invested in.

I actually like the idea of decoy watches and recently purchased a fake Pam 297 to compliment my genuine. First, even with the quick connect lug rods, I don't want to be taking the bracelet on and off a lot. The fake allows me to change out various leather, rubber, and cloth straps on it. Second, If somebody wants to mug me for my $300 fake they can have it, they're not getting the $6,500 genuine.
View Quote

This was my biggest reason for getting a Rep. already had 2 Planet Oceans and 2 Speedys, wanted to see what the Rolex wore like. Wasn’t a fan of how blingy it was with the ceramic bezel, the squarish lugs, and how it looks like crap with a NATO. Thankfully I only spent about $500 for disappointment rather than $8k+.

Pic of the best Planet Ocean, the 2201.50
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 11:05:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magnum PI wore the Pepsi bezel

Someone didn’t watch all the episodes.

It was clearly his dad’s. He wore it when teaching young Magnum how to swim.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 11:42:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Someone didn’t watch all the episodes.

It was clearly his dad’s. He wore it when teaching young Magnum how to swim.
View Quote

Well, admittedly, that wasn’t my most lucid decade...
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top