Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2024 11:13:12 PM EDT
because they didn't believe he was one of the Four Tops.

Oh, he says he's with the Four Tops and has chest pains?
Get me a straitjacket, stat.

I've got news for him. It's not "racial discrimination" to assume that a 53 year old black guy isn't a member of a black singing group from 1953.
But it might be "age discrimination".
And it might be medical malpractice to restrain a guy in a straitjacket while he's having a heart attack.

https://www.mlive.com/news/2024/06/four-tops-lead-singer-sues-michigan-hospital-claims-staff-thought-he-was-mentally-ill.html

WARREN, MI -- Alexander Morris, the lead singer of the Four Tops has filed a lawsuit against Ascension Macomb-Oakland Hospital in Warren, over the way he was allegedly treated during an April 2023 visit. According to the Associated Press, the lawsuit claims Morris was the victim of racial discrimination and other misconduct when he went to the hospital for chest pain and breathing problems.

Morris says he was restrained and had a psychological exam ordered by staff when he told them he was a member of the iconic band. The lawsuit alleges staff “wrongfully assumed he was mentally ill when he revealed his identity as a celebrity figure.”

While Morris is not an original member of the band, he joined the group in 2019 and remains a member.

A nurse at the hospital eventually believed Morris and was able to verify his claims. The psychologic exam was then cancelled. The lawsuit alleges the hospital offered Morris a $25 gift card as an apology, but he declined.

Hospital Sued for Putting Man in Straitjacket When He Claimed to Be Himself

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Was telling the hospital staff he was a four top relevant to his health issues? If not, then he was likely just acting like a  celebrity asshole who thought he should be treated speshul.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think we are getting the full story here.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:24:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Imagine if rappers got this treatment regimen when they came in with GSWs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:25:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was telling the hospital staff he was a four top relevant to his health issues? If not, then he was likely just acting like a  celebrity asshole who thought he should be treated speshul.
View Quote

It was relavent to his security because he's had stalkers.

It is insane that they took him off oxygen and delayed the cardiac evaluation 90 min.  They put him in a straight jacked when he asked for the oxygen.

He had pneumonia and a heart infection.  He had three seizures while in the hospital.  But hey, they offered him a $25 gift card.

I think the racial point comes from one of the security guards calling him "black boy".
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#5]
A band with one alive original member who is 88 years old.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:28:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

He mentioned it later with regard to security because he had stalkers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He mentioned it later with regard to security because he had stalkers.

I can now understand the psyche eval.

He's a top shelf celebrity in his own mind.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah douchey or at least very odd. I mean, unless it was a low key way of equating band members with recreational drugs. I could see coke, ecstasy or whatever being pertinent. Not watching because I need to sleep, not be disappointed in humanity again.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:34:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Ascension fuck something up? Say it ain't so
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I can now understand the psyche eval.

He's a top shelf celebrity in his own mind.
View Quote

He did get a Grammy in 2018 so he's not a nobody.  It was the video of him on stage that got him our of the straight jacket.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#10]
He was a replacement singer, hired a few years ago.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
He was a replacement singer, hired a few years ago.  
View Quote

Only one of the four is a founding member.  There have been 9 total.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:41:47 PM EDT
[#12]
How old does an ER nurse have to be to know who the Four Tops is, without googling it?

Any millennial googling it would look at the current lineup and see the guy

Reminds me of this
South park Operation human shield
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:41:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Supposedly he was asking to be listed anonymously or not have visitors or some such.  His wife was even in the room and confirmed his identity to the medical staff.

When I worked in a hospital we would admit celebrities anonymously when necessary. It saved us a bunch of headaches.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 12:12:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't think we are getting the full story here.
View Quote

Full stories make for short, uninteresting threads.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 12:40:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well, we saw the "Glen Miller Band" a few years ago.  They're not selling the original performers.  Just the music and the name.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 1:04:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Supposedly he was asking to be listed anonymously or not have visitors or some such.  His wife was even in the room and confirmed his identity to the medical staff.

When I worked in a hospital we would admit celebrities anonymously when necessary. It saved us a bunch of headaches.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hospital really fucked the dog on this one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 2:26:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It is insane that they took him off oxygen and delayed the cardiac evaluation 90 min.  They put him in a straight jacked when he asked for the oxygen.

He had pneumonia and a heart infection.  He had three seizures while in the hospital.  But hey, they offered him a $25 gift card.

I think the racial point comes from one of the security guards calling him "black boy".
View Quote

All this is why his lawsuit is legitimate..
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the civil complaint filed, he said that multiple staff made racial comments and that they conspired to remove racial comments from reports.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mike Love of The Beach Boys was on Fox News recently. IIRC, he is the only surviving original member. He's 83 y.o.. I saw him at a concert a bunch of years ago and he said that he had been touring since 1961ish.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:52:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Mike Love of The Beach Boys was on Fox News recently. IIRC, he is the only surviving original member. He's 83 y.o.. I saw him at a concert a bunch of years ago and he said that he had been touring since 1961ish.
View Quote

Brian Wilson and Al Jardine are both still around. IDK if they are still touring.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:09:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

In the civil complaint filed, he said that multiple staff made racial comments and that they conspired to remove racial comments from reports.
View Quote

Considering a majority of the staff is probably left leaning, they are obviously racist.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:32:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

All anybody has to do is "opt out", ie: ALL pt info is withheld, period.

Had a guy that brought his grandmother in to the ER. He left and went to go "get something to eat" (go get high, according to the grandmother). In the meantime, she got admitted and went upstairs. Before she left the ED , she told registration that she wanted to opt out.  A couple hours later, the grandson comes back and asks where his grandmother is...

"We don't have anyone by that name on our board, sir"

Dude was like "WTF, I brought her here just this morning! WTFF?!"

"I'm sorry sir, but she's not on our board"

lol, what a shitshow. I felt really bad for the guy. The house supervisor finally had to talk to the grandmother, who let him go up, because he was starting to think he was in the twilight zone.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:38:16 AM EDT
[#23]
My mom had a stroke, and ambulance took her to the nearest hosptial, and they though she was indigent and they tried to push her to another hospital. When they found out she had insurance, then everything changed. So when I have about reports like this, I beleive it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:37:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

"I'm a musician" would have been adequate for smalltalk.

The Four Tops isn't really a name many people in the workforce would know or care about anyhow. Maybe the doctors who are about to retire, but not the majority of them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:40:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Local hospital had a 25yo black guy come into the ER twice with classic heart attack symptoms after playing basketball and got sent away twice, with zero testing done, the same ER doc blew him off and said he had acid reflux. He made it back a 3rd time and dropped dead while in the waiting room. Jury awarded his family 8 figures, he had a 3-4yo daughter he was taking care of.

ETA: The local news never even picked up the story. It was the largest jury award ever made in the county.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 7:02:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The Four Tops isn't really a name many people in the workforce would know or care about anyhow. Maybe the doctors who are about to retire, but not the majority of them.
View Quote

Even so, to detour from medical treatment to ceasing medical treatment and beginning psych diversion because a 53 year old black male spouts bullshit stories was quite a stretch. (that analysis totally ignores the possibility that he's not spewing bullshit which would make you really look like an idiot)
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 7:14:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well, we saw the "Glen Miller Band" a few years ago.  They're not selling the original performers.  Just the music and the name.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Lynyrd Skynyrd"
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 7:18:25 AM EDT
[#28]
That's some funny shit right there!!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 7:18:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Ascension...

never doubt the amount of damage Ascension can do to itself.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Oops. Double post.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:03:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Even so, to detour from medical treatment to ceasing medical treatment and beginning psych diversion because a 53 year old black male spouts bullshit stories was quite a stretch. (that analysis totally ignores the possibility that he's not spewing bullshit which would make you really look like an idiot)
View Quote

You're absolutely right. Payments need made and licenses need suspended.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:12:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

If they didn't know who the Four Tops were, why would they think he was crazy for claiming to be one?
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:18:44 AM EDT
[#33]
I have no idea what the Four Tops are.  Is that something only a crazy person would admit?  Was he expecting throwing that around would get him some VIP treatment?

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have no idea what the Four Tops are.  Is that something only a crazy person would admit?  Was he expecting throwing that around would get him some VIP treatment?

View Quote

They were (are?) a Motown band.

One of my favorites from that era, and some years back the wife and I went to see a FT tribute band at a dinner theater. Dinner was terrible, the band itself was absolutely wonderful.

One of my best memories from my kids being little: we ate at a dive restaurant on vacation, when my oldest was ~20-22 months old. I played this on the jukebox and danced with her across the floor of the 'almost empty' restaurant' and she giggled the whole time.

I should go back there.

The Four Tops - Baby I Need Your Loving
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless that hospital is night and day different from every hospital I've ever worked in... I HIGHLY fucking doubt it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They were (are?) a Motown band.

One of my favorites from that era, and some years back the wife and I went to see a FT tribute band at a dinner theater. Dinner was terrible, the band itself was absolutely wonderful.

One of my best memories from my kids being little: we ate at a dive restaurant on vacation, when my oldest was ~20-22 months old. I played this on the jukebox and danced with her across the floor of the 'almost empty' restaurant' and she giggled the whole time.

I should go back there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joqjBAJx4ZA
View Quote

They made great music back in the day. I still play their hits disc now and then. Right along with the Temptations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top