Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2024 2:48:44 PM EDT
A friend of mine committed suicide about two weeks ago and was found on a welfare check the past Monday 7/15.

I am is medical power of attorney and had to be there for him last year when he attempted suicide and was in the hospital.

I don't know if he has a will, his sister in law (who is his brother's widow) is his next of kin. He has cousins somewhere but I don't know what state. She will be coming to Albuquerque, NM next month sometime in August. To get his personal belongings like photos. He didn't have much at all.

My question is how to I get into the house legally since I don't have a key and the Medical POA paperwork is in the house somewhere.

The house probably needs to be opened up, aired out since his body was in it for about a week. Whatever he was sitting/laying on will be a bio hazard and dealt with properly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Force open the garage door.  If you’re really worried, call the local police department explain to them what you’re doing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m as far from experienced with this as you can get. But I’d start with the local sheriffs department and a locksmith.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
Force open the garage door.  If you’re really worried, call the local police department explain to them what you’re doing.
View Quote

Something like this is what I was thinking. I guess I will contact the local PD.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#4]
As usual I’m of little help but I do sympathize for YOUR loss.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, the local PD unfortunately, likely has experience with this, and it is best to keep them informed as just breaking in is illegal.
Condolences bud.
Hope you find a will.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Your POA authority ended with him. The next of kin now has that authority. Stay out of it unless she asks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Mike_Golf:
Your POA authority ended with him. The next of kin now has that authority. Stay out of it unless she asks.
View Quote

This is the answer, your medical poa died the minute he did..your done unless his family askes for your help
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#8]
She has asked.

I told her I would get into the house before she gets here.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 5:51:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sidequest] [#9]
Originally Posted By icecold1:

This is the answer, your medical poa died the minute he did..your done unless his family askes for your help
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By icecold1:

To add to this, medical POA is not general POA. My parents have medical POA to make care decisions if I'm incapacitated, but that doesn't authorize access to my bank accounts, etc.

Also, next of kin doesn't necessarily have any authority regarding the estate. The executor of the estate has the authority to deal with the estate. Next of kin may be the executor but not always.

If my friend was dead, and emergency services already removed his body, I wouldn't break into his home to do anything without legal authorization.

Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Widowed spouse of brother has no blood relation, are generally not next of kin. Actual cousins are.

Tread carefully.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

Widowed spouse of brother has no blood relation, are generally not next of kin. Actual cousins are.

Tread carefully.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

Tread carefully.

This is also correct along with the reply about the Executor if there is one. If there are living sons or daughters or grandchildren they probably have more say in the handling of his estate than others.

I don't know that I'd break into the house unless I had it in writing that I was acting on behalf of the deceased person family. I'm doubtful the sister-in-law qualifies.

Whatever comes may he RIP and condolances for your loss.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Do NOTHING without an attorney who knows estate work in the proper jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#13]
If you aren't family or the executor of his will, them there isn't much you can do unless a family member specifically asks you to do something.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 12:29:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the advice.
He never married and had no children.

I don't think any cousins will be coming for anything. His SIL will be bringing her daughters, his nieces.

I'm just trying to get things ready for their arrival, but it seems like there isn't much I can do.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 12:57:13 AM EDT
[#15]
How did the people that found the body get in?

Maybe go in the same way?
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 1:06:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By stevec223:
How did the people that found the body get in?

Maybe go in the same way?
View Quote

Another friend of his called the PD for a welfare check. The cops got in somehow.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Your SIL needs a probate attorney ASAP.  If your friend has no living children, his parents are dead, and only sibling is dead, then her nieces may be the only heirs.  If they are then SIL can file in court to be the estate executor, especially if they're minor children.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:51:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joeIII223] [#18]
The children (nieces) are adults.

I am going to make some phone calls tomorrow.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 11:32:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Update
Sister in law was able to get into the house and start probate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top