Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't imagine a radio and internet host ever getting a little whisper in his ear from say, oh, I don't know a few ammo companies to say" Buy lots of ammo now!" I mean, those ammo companies (who are currently in a bit of a slump) to want to spur on sales, juuust a tenny, tiny bit.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't imagine a radio and internet host ever getting a little whisper in his ear from say, oh, I don't know a few ammo companies to say" Buy lots of ammo now!" I mean, those ammo companies (who are currently in a bit of a slump) to want to spur on sales, juuust a tenny, tiny bit.
View Quote

I do know that Gresham just came from the NRA event this past weekend, so he probably had the opportunity to talk recently with quite a few industry people.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Because they sitting on a fuck ton of it

Even academy has shelves stocked full

It doesnt even feel like we are rolling into an election season with all the ammos out there right now
View Quote

When you think it's only getting cheaper, because there's so much surplus on the shelves?   THAT is the time to buy.

When the industry contracts or reduces supply, you'll see empty shelves and wish you would have bought more.

Basically, do the opposite of what everyone else is doing.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2024 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I was in Academy recently.  $42 for a box of 20 rounds of typical deer hunting ammo.  Not buying at those prices.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#5]
This being a gun website, I think we should always encourage one another to buy more ammo, regardless of climate, political or otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#6]
To be fair, I do think ammo is nearly as cheap as it will ever be again so it's a good time to accumulate what you might want for the foreseeable future.

Pre-chinaflu I could buy 9mm for $10/box locally.  It's currently $12.50 locally(down from $13.50 last month) - only 25% increase while gas is up over 50% and groceries are up nearly 100%.  
I am in buy cheap and stack deep mode.

Link Posted: 5/23/2024 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm picturing GDers diving into an ammo pile and swimming like Scrooge McDuck, but never spending a shot.
View Quote
Ammo is a small solid, thousands of rounds of ammo will be like a hard surface You will break your bones, same with coins if you jump into them.

Family Guy - Peter dives into a pile of gold coins like Scrooge McDuck

Link Posted: 5/23/2024 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
 It's currently $12.50 locally(down from $13.50 last month)
View Quote

That's cheap. I've been buying at around $15/box.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Been stocked for awhile.  No need for more, seriously
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#10]
The global nitrocellulose shortage probably has a lot to do with it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh god, here come the panic buys and ammo prices raises. lol
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 4:55:32 PM EDT
[#12]
welcome to last week

Link Posted: 5/23/2024 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The global nitrocellulose shortage probably has a lot to do with it.
View Quote

It will be interesting to see how much price inflation and budget tightening offsets that. I know I most definitely don't shoot 500 rounds a week anymore like I did 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Which is it?  A month or a year?
View Quote

He's following the AL Gore time prediction model.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
one box of .270 will last me 5+ years.  I have 3 so I'm good.
View Quote

I have 2 boxes of .350 hunting ammo, 200 rounds of fmj and no .350 rifles or barrels; I'll last through the apocalypse!
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I work for an ammo distributor.  Several ammo manufacturers took price increases May 1st of this year.  I can assure you prices at the retail level are going to rise soon.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No. Buy ammo yesterday, today is too late.
View Quote

Nonsense.

Yes, some calibers haven't come down, in particular quality 5.56 but plenty of others are priced about the same as they were 20 years ago.  I just bought another $5k of Fiocchi 9mm 115 for $240 per case to the house….and I still have about 20 cases of 147 Remington that I paid $220 for in 2007…..or in today's dollars $332 per case.

Yes the days of SA tubs of 5.56 and Hirt .308 are over but there's still good deals to be had for those that failed to stack.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Where are the best deals on 308?
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I work for an ammo distributor.  Several ammo manufacturers took price increases May 1st of this year.  I can assure you prices at the retail level are going to rise soon.
View Quote

Come on, man.  You'll destroy people's normalcy bias and there'll be less ammo for the people who prep.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Glad I still have 3K rds of that janky Radway-Green 7.62 shit I bought for cheap in the early 1990s.

The young AR dudes with beards and forearm tats were dogging’ me at the range for not running the latest GarandThumb-approved 5.56.

Sad. ……. ‘Cause I thought my all-G1 parts S.A. M1A (built 1989) shot pretty good from the 200yd line.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm picturing GDers diving into an ammo pile and swimming like Scrooge McDuck, but never spending a shot.
View Quote

Sounds pointy. I'm in.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Glad I still have 3K rds of that janky Radway-Green 7.62 shit I bought for cheap in the early 1990s.

The young AR dudes with beards and forearm tats were dogging’ me at the range for not running the latest GarandThumb-approved 5.56.

Sad. ……. ‘Cause I thought my all-G1 parts S.A. M1A (built 1989) shot pretty good from the 200yd line.
View Quote

Do you have a rack on your walker for that thing or have shoulder replacements advanced enough that you can sling it?
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#23]

My lord.

Varget is about $80 after tax here a lb.

You have used car money Varget in 2024 prices. Lol
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Doing my part. Ordered 2 cases of Win 115 gr high pressure 9mm from Sam. It actually went down a few cents per Rd! Make hay boys.
Yes I shoot a few hundred rds a few times a month.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quite a bit of nitrocellulose is made in china, and russia has doubled its import of it for ammo production.  

Can't help but think ammo costs will soar and become a little harder to get later this year or next because of it.
View Quote

I'm thinking the prediction is based on this and other current events.  Wasn't it nearly impossible to find ammunition to buy during the second world war?
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#26]
If I could just afford some with a doz eggs costing 2 $ more than they did 5 years ago…
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I literally have no place to store the huge supply i have now. I expend 5K to 10K per year (I have 2K loaded up for a machinegun shoot next week). I would buy more but it would cost me more in storage fees,
View Quote

I can store some for you if you’d like. I promise I won’t shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I haven’t stopped but have slowed down. I have a decent amount but never enough. It is an election year and we all remember the last election and the consequences of it. Summer is usually slow in the firearms/ammo industry. Buy it now while it is  available and “cheap”.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm not doing anything until Sam Gabbert weighs in.
View Quote
Buy overpriced ammo from my website NOW, do not wait.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#30]
If I need ammo, there will be plenty on the ground when the time comes.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#31]
anyone still have Guat or SA 5.56mm on-hand from back in the day ??  
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#32]
It’s currently Salad Days.

You’ll kick and scream and try to deny it…..but it is.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Trump is gonna win.  No hoarding necessary.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/23/2024 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Do you have a rack on your walker for that thing or have shoulder replacements advanced enough that you can sling it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing. His post was all fucked up. This is what I heard…”I was shooting 308 and was taking shit for not shooting 5.56”
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It doesnt even feel like we are rolling into an election season with all the ammos out there right now
View Quote

Typical, just before a run on it, shortages, then higher prices.

Prices aren't coming down.
There is never a better time to buy than today.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#36]
This portion of our show was sponsored by....
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Where are the best deals on 308?
View Quote

PSA looks to be about it at $0.85 to $1.00 a round.
Otherwise there's some Igman 147 grain for about $0.76 a round.
https://theammostop.com/products/igman-308-winchester-ammo-147-grain-fmj-800-rounds-free-shipping-no-sales-tax

https://palmettostatearmory.com/brands/advanced-armament/ammo/ammo.html
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Must work for SGammo

Panic emails inbound
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/23/2024 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Must work for SGammo

Panic emails inbound
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1

I’m not saying not to buy if you need more of one caliber or another, but there is a good supply out there right now.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Must work for SGammo

Panic emails inbound

lol

Well, he was right though
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
To be fair, I do think ammo is nearly as cheap as it will ever be again so it's a good time to accumulate what you might want for the foreseeable future.

Pre-chinaflu I could buy 9mm for $10/box locally.  It's currently $12.50 locally(down from $13.50 last month) - only 25% increase while gas is up over 50% and groceries are up nearly 100%.  
I am in buy cheap and stack deep mode.

View Quote

This is where I'm at.

I need more 22 for my 5yo
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Nonsense.

Yes, some calibers haven't come down, in particular quality 5.56 but plenty of others are priced about the same as they were 20 years ago.  I just bought another $5k of Fiocchi 9mm 115 for $240 per case to the house….and I still have about 20 cases of 147 Remington that I paid $220 for in 2007…..or in today's dollars $332 per case.

Yes the days of SA tubs of 5.56 and Hirt .308 are over but there's still good deals to be had for those that failed to stack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No. Buy ammo yesterday, today is too late.

Nonsense.

I feel like I was buy 9mm for 10cpr back then.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ugh, I do need more .308 match ammo, but it's so expensive.
View Quote

Yep, me too. Been checking Ammoseek for months. That stuff doesn't seem to go on sale.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Here's what Sam Gabbert has to do with this, for those not familiar with him

Thursday, April 18, 2024
View Quote

Gunpowder shortage: GOP prods Biden on supply chain woes, fears of ammo crunch as U.S. arms Ukraine
View Quote

Members of Congress announced legislation Thursday to prod the Biden administration to conduct an inventory of the U.S. gunpowder supply chain and offer suggestions to ensure enough will be available for the military and the average consumer.
View Quote

Sen. James E. Risch, Idaho Republican, and Rep. Tom Emmer, Minnesota Republican, are leading the effort. They said law-abiding Americans could struggle to get ammunition amid a global crunch of nitrocellulose, a key ingredient in manufacturing powder.
View Quote

The problem lies with both supply and demand. The Russia-Ukraine war has created a massive sinkhole for munitions, and China has tightened its supply.

In the U.S., gun aficionado websites lit up in January after an ammunition dealer said he was at a firearms industry show and learned that nitrocellulose was in short supply.
View Quote

The consensus was that China was reluctant to sell to the U.S. because so much of the supply was being pumped into munitions for Ukraine. Defense industry manufacturers are scarfing up much of the supply reaching the U.S.
View Quote

Sam Gabbert, owner of SGAmmo, said factories seemed to have gunpowder stockpiled, but “this issue is expected to catch up to them no later than the summer of 2024 and possibly within a few months.”

If demand for ammunition rises, factories may be unable to fulfill it, he said.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/23/2024 6:52:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Where's my flag?

Found it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

When you think it's only getting cheaper, because there's so much surplus on the shelves?   THAT is the time to buy.

When the industry contracts or reduces supply, you'll see empty shelves and wish you would have bought more.

Basically, do the opposite of what everyone else is doing.  

View Quote

The issue is that shelves are full but it’s not gotten any cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#48]

At $60/lb varget is a hard sell when most others are $40/lb
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. The local Academy has a ton of ammo on the shelves. A lot of oddball stuff also. I bought a box of the 4.6x30 HK ammo just for the hell of it.
There was quite a bit of reloading components also. I went to get 2 more boxes of Hornady 190g Sub-X projectiles. Came home with 5 100ct boxes.
They had more 6.8 spc. Hadn't seen that on their shelves in a bit.  They had so much M855 and M193 ball 5.56 it wasn't funny. One huge shelf full of 20rd boxes of each and one full shelf of 500rd  boxes of each.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The young AR dudes with beards and forearm tats were dogging' me at the range for not running the latest GarandThumb-approved 5.56.

Sad.   . 'Cause I thought my all-G1 parts S.A. M1A (built 1989) shot pretty good from the 200yd line.
View Quote

You do realize one of the latest "GarandThumb-approved" rifles is a M1A Scout Squad right?  
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top