Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2018 1:21:43 PM EDT
What a terrible way to go.  

A Houston woman, whose skeletal remains were found in the wall of her bungalow last year, is believed to have fallen through her attic floor before becoming wedged in the walls, authorities said Tuesday.
The Harris County Coroner’s Office identified the remains as Mary Stewart Cerruti, 61, who was discovered by the new owners of the Houston bungalow. Cerruti was reported missing in 2015 after neighbors contacted police because they hadn’t seen her for days.

In the attic, there was a broken board that led down to the space. Law enforcement thinks she may have been up in the attic and fell through the attic floor,” Tricia Bentley, the medical examiner spokeswoman, told PEOPLE Magazine.
View Quote
https://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/02/houston-woman-whose-skeletal-remains-were-found-in-wall-slipped-through-attic-floor.amp.html
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn.

Can't imagine being stuck like that and not being able to do anything about it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#3]
How’d anyone not notice the smell and fluid drain at the wall?
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Might be terrible, but the Red Letter Media "old lady in the walls" horror movie pitch is the first thing that comes to mind on hearing this story.

Mike Pitches a Horror Movie
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm guessing she lived alone and didn't have anyone checking in on her, but still... someone must have entered the house eventually.

I find it hard to believe that no one picked up on the smell.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm guessing she lived alone and didn't have anyone checking in on her, but still... someone must have entered the house eventually.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Six dead cats were also found inside the attic, the Houston Chronicle reported.
Answer is in the story.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Either that wall was framed with 2x10 or she was 50lbs. Crazy that a person could fit otherwise.

Why not push/break through the Sheetrock? Suppose she wasn't strong enough or there was lath & plaster...
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#9]
It sounds like once the police did a welfare check on the house it just sat empty for a couple of years. So I could see no one noticing any stench. Depending on where it's at in Houston there could be refinery stink or bayou stink that pervades everything.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Either that wall was framed with 2x10 or she was 50lbs. Crazy that a person could fit otherwise.

Why not push/break through the Sheetrock? Suppose she wasn't strong enough or there was lath & plaster...
View Quote
Or she was knocked unconcious by the fall, then simply died from asphyxiation/positional asphyxiation due to being stuffed in the walls.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I have issues with this story.

they say they found her skeletal remains in the wall.  is that even possible?  to decompose that quickly in just 2 or 3 years?

also, there would most certainly be a horrible smell and all sorts of other nasty stuff going along with a body stuck in the wall. how does that go unnoticed?
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

they say they found her skeletal remains in the wall.  is that even possible?  to decompose that quickly in just 2 or 3 years?

also, there would most certainly be a horrible smell and all sorts of other nasty stuff going along with a body stuck in the wall. how does that go unnoticed?
View Quote
Rats and bugs picked her clean.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Still makes no sense. You can't fall through a 2x10 top plate into the wall space. I'm guessing a plumbing or HVAC chase with two walls build a foot or so apart. I think she fell through the attic and landed in between those chase walls. She was wedged between the studs and suffocated, or was slowly devoured by the cats..
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've seen rural houses that were built with two rooms originally then a second half was added later. There is a gap between the two walls that will fit a person, accessible only from the attic.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Heights area is a very expensive inner city area of older homes, I believe her home was an original period home, so yes, probably lath and plaster.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Having a Life Alert pendant could have saved her life.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Damn.

Can't imagine being stuck like that and not being able to do anything about it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe she was trying to get her cat out of the wall. Sometimes they fold themselves up and slip right through a seam in the wall.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
When conditions are right, especially with high heat/humidity, decomposition can occur very quickly.  Sometimes weeks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 3:04:32 PM EDT
[#20]

@alphabavo
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is Houston, after all...
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#22]
There was another one who died that way near a hospital a few years back. Like the last hold out house in an area where the hospital was buying up all the properties.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@alphabavo
View Quote
Lol. Appropriate...
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
No other residents in the house.

And it may have been an interior wall space.

Dehydration gets you first usually.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Still makes no sense. You can't fall through a 2x10 top plate into the wall space. I'm guessing a plumbing or HVAC chase with two walls build a foot or so apart. I think she fell through the attic and landed in between those chase walls. She was wedged between the studs and suffocated, or was slowly devoured by the cats..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point. A mech chase makes much more sense than a single stud wall...
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#26]
There are LOTS of empty wasted spaces in many homes.  We have three in mine, around the staircase, fireplace, and entertainment center built-in.  There have some sheetrock or light plywood covering them, just to hold the insulation.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Good point. A mech chase makes much more sense than a single stud wall...
View Quote
I have a few spots in my house like this, and the pipes that go through the chase end up in the basement, and vent stacks go up into the attic through the roof... long story short if you fell down in there, it would suck as the washer/dryer is on one side, and the fridge is on the other wall... Will all the penetrations from the plumbing, any liquid goo that once was a person would end up in the basement, and pumped out by the sump pump...
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Or she was knocked unconcious by the fall, then simply died from asphyxiation/positional asphyxiation due to being stuffed in the walls.
View Quote
Not many people can fit in the 3-1/2" between the sheetrock.  Also how did she get through the top plate?
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
She was an old lady, plus if your arms are pinned close to your body or straight up it is tough to generate any real force.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 3:46:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Remember that female Dr awhile back that got trapped in her Chimney. Another reason I always have my 340PD on me..I can shoot to draw attn, or punch my ticket if need be.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Plaster and lath is crazy strong. There are voids in homes for plumbing vents, chimnies, and for architectural detail. I can think of two in the upstairs of my house and one downstairs that would hold a person.

They smelled the rot and found her cats dead.  They assumed that was the stink.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

but still, she must have been one of the 0.01% of americans that could actually fit in such a small space.  most would get stuck maybe up to the knees.  some might only make it as far as their cankles.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They smelled the rot and found her cats dead.  They assumed that was the stink.  
View Quote
Did they not notice that the stink was still there after the dead cats were gone?
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Hopefully she broke her neck and died immediately.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Help! I am a wedgie and can't become a non-wedgie!
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Maybe she was trying to get her cat out of the wall. Sometimes they fold themselves up and slip right through a seam in the wall.
View Quote
Cat in the wall
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#38]
We had a guy get discovered in my area last year.

Recluse, no relatives no friends.  Neighbors just assumed he had left town.

They discovered his remains when they did an inspection of the house for the upcoming tax auction
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#39]
My suspicion, she went into the attic.  Fell through.  Died, hopefully quickly.  She owned 6 cats.  They went from the attic down into the wall to feed off of her until they couldn't anymore, and then they died up in the attic as well.

A truly horrible thing to happen.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Thus ends the mystery of what happened to PlaneJane.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#41]
How the hell did no one smell anything coming out of the house?
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:13:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Not many people can fit in the 3-1/2" between the sheetrock.  Also how did she get through the top plate?
View Quote
Maybe it was Balloon framed w/o top plates, like my first house. Some of those old floorboards get weak. It could have been built with full dimension unfinished lumber which would make the wall cavities a bit larger. Sad story.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:51:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Any time that I'm under my house or up in my attic, I have my phone with me. If anything falls on you, you have some kind of health issue or something traps you in a well hidden/muffled area = f'd in the a.

I also screwed in all of the 3/4" board walkways up in my attic. No more wobbling around on loose boards or potentially falling through and destroying the drywall.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:55:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Maybe it was Balloon framed w/o top plates, like my first house. Some of those old floorboards get weak. It could have been built with full dimension unfinished lumber which would make the wall cavities a bit larger. Sad story.
View Quote
Could be one of the vent stacks or an old furnace exhaust. I have an area that used to contain a ceramic smoke stack for a floor furnace. I had to close it up as that furnace is long gone and fairly large critters could possibly crawl up the tunnel into my attic. The tunnel was about 12x12".
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 3:01:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Where's the pics?
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 3:53:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
They also build walls out of brick, stone, stucco, cinder block, poured concrete, plywood, cement board...
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 5:04:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Let's just hope she passed quickly and that she's at peace now.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 5:13:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Let's just hope she passed quickly and that she's at peace now.
View Quote
Chances are higher she was still alive after falling and died a horribly slow and painful death

There's also pictures of her skull here

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/02/houston-woman-whose-skeletal-remains-were-found-in-wall-slipped-through-attic-floor.html
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 5:47:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Neighbors report missing lady.  They show up to look while the lady was still potentially alive, but too weak to call out or she's unconscious.  She dies a day or two later. Maybe the house is in the kids name. They live out of state, hope for a long time that their mother might eventually turn up, so they don't sell.  House sits idle and locked for a long time. Houston is notoriously humid, so they pay the power bill to let the AC run and keep the moisture down in the case that mama never turns up. Lady decomposes behind wall, but enough time passes that she eventually turns into jerky and smell eventually dissipates. AC units not only dehumidify, they also draw in outside air to freshen the air. Eventually, the death smell is gone by the time the kids decide to sell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top