Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2019 7:24:23 PM EDT
I've got a pi 3b+ running a 128gb retropie image I got from arcadepunks..
This thing is flipping sweet. Literally everything is configured already and works, no fucking around with bios files, trying to match mame sets up etc...
Kodi built in, and it all just works. And works well. It'll run games up to ps1 Saturn /arcade that aren't too taxing/new
All in all, for $35 and a 128gb micro SD card it's well worth the time.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#1]
MAME
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MAME
View Quote
Built in and configured to work. No mapping buttons, fucking around with romsets that are mismatched/compiled incorrectly.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Which 128GB pack did you get?  There are a boatload listed there.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m not totally sure what this is, but it sounds like I am off to google
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#5]
ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER!  DO YOU SPEAK IT?
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#6]
You mean like 70s bush?
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 7:42:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one. Sure beats digging out cartridges. I already have a rat's nest of wires behind my TV stand, and I'm glad I don't have a half dozen consoles trashing my shit up more.

The web interface is nice too.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Interested to know which image and what controller you are using.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You mean like 70s bush?
View Quote
/thread
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm curious as well.

Built a retropie about 2 years ago.  I had about a week of fun with the old NES stuff but quickly wanted to get the arcade version of Gauntlet and Golden Axe running.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You mean like 70s bush?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#12]
When I screwed around with it, it desperately needed a favorites tagging system. You might have 5,000 games, but only play 10 of them. Have they added that feature yet?

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You mean like 70s bush?
View Quote

Sank You!
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Which 128GB pack did you get?  There are a boatload listed there.
View Quote
The ones that I've tested that work well are:
Galisteo_cobalto v2 (dragon blaze) - it's in portuguese, but once you get the language switched it's fast and smooth.
Damaso extreme 128
RPI3BPLUS.ES.AM.4.4.8 Wolfanoz
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm curious as well.

Built a retropie about 2 years ago.  I had about a week of fun with the old NES stuff but quickly wanted to get the arcade version of Gauntlet and Golden Axe running.
View Quote
Same here.   I am running the generic super nintendo usb controllers.   But I think I am going to upgrade to xbox 360 controllers so I have wireless controllers.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You mean like 70s bush?
View Quote
You're alright!
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Fucking nerds!
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
ZOOMER you I are  friends
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You mean like 70s bush?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 9:01:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I haz retroPie.

Many games. Much fun!
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
using a ps3 controller over bluetooth, and currently the galisteo cobato v2 128
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I built a MAME cabinet with real arcade sticks and buttons.

SANWA STICK
HAPP BUTTONS
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#23]
A few years ago, I got a really nice arcade controller, MAME, and a bunch of retro games.   I soon realized that almost all of the games that I remembered being SO AWESOME really aren't that good.  They just seemed good at the time because it's all we had.  Out of all of the ROMs I had (which were a ton), there were maybe 2 or 3 still worth playing.

Fight me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 9:09:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

SANWA STICK
HAPP BUTTONS
View Quote
I should really build myself a cabinet. I bet I could make a commercial looking one in a few hours at work.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I should really build myself a cabinet. I bet I could make a commercial looking one in a few hours at work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SANWA STICK
HAPP BUTTONS
You could buy a kit then add the guts to the cabinet.

gameroomsolutions.com
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't have a fucking clue what you are saying.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've got a pi 3b+ running a 128gb retropie image I got from arcadepunks..
This thing is flipping sweet. Literally everything is configured already and works, no fucking around with bios files, trying to match mame sets up etc...
Kodi built in, and it all just works. And works well. It'll run games up to ps1 Saturn /arcade that aren't too taxing/new
All in all, for $35 and a 128gb micro SD card it's well worth the time.
View Quote

Of this entire post I know what a MicroSD card is and away I go
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A few years ago, I got a really nice arcade controller, MAME, and a bunch of retro games.   I soon realized that almost all of the games that I remembered being SO AWESOME really aren't that good.  They just seemed good at the time because it's all we had.  Out of all of the ROMs I had (which were a ton), there were maybe 2 or 3 still worth playing.

Fight me.
View Quote
I think you are right to a point and I only visit the older games from time to time but.. my parents get a nostalgia kick whenever I bring the SNES and NES minis with me, and my niece's and nephews fight over the two console controllers too. I enjoy watching them play all the old games I used to play, and watching them struggle in the parts that I struggled with back then too. It's much more entertaining than watching them build yet another house in Minecraft or play some stupid Roblox game designed to drain my sisters out of money.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

SANWA STICK
HAPP BUTTONS
View Quote
I've got a silver strike bowling (the ones you see in bars and restaurants) hooked up to a 42" flat screen. Much fun when drinking. Competition gets fierce. It's got a Happ track ball and buttons that I installed when I put it together.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Same here.   I am running the generic super nintendo usb controllers.   But I think I am going to upgrade to xbox 360 controllers so I have wireless controllers.
View Quote
I personally think the HORI Pokken Tournament Pro Pad are the best controllers out there for RetroPie.  If you can find them at a good price buy some.

If I want to use a cordless controller I use a generic WII U Pro controller.  For the money you can't beat these.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Fight me.
View Quote
My mom pulled my old Sega out of storage and gave it to me... I hooked it up and played for about 15min before I realized how terrible the games, graphics and play really are compared to what I remembered.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#32]
If I had any idea on how to set one up, I probably would.

It seems that all the guides and articles I've looked at assume the reader already knows things.

Would be awesome to be able to buy one already good to go.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
They be diggin on 70s musicals.

Link Posted: 8/7/2019 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My mom pulled my old Sega out of storage and gave it to me... I hooked it up and played for about 15min before I realized how terrible the games, graphics and play really are compared to what I remembered.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fight me.
I have a Commodore 64, Sega Genesis and a Nintendo. Your experience mirrors mine, all are packed away in bins in the basement for that reason.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#36]
I had a few Raspberry Pi's left over from a work project so I loaded one up as a retropi box for the lunchroom, got played so much over lunch break the plant manager had me throw together another one.

The cheap USB controllers off amazon dont seem to last very long with moderate use sadly
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If I had any idea on how to set one up, I probably would.

It seems that all the guides and articles I've looked at assume the reader already knows things.

Would be awesome to be able to buy one already good to go.
View Quote
It's really easy. If you want to build your own it takes some legwork, but the images on arcade punks are ready to go, emulators, artwork, ROMs, all ready.
Just download a image, write it to a micro sd card, plug it into your pi b+ and you're gtg.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top