Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2024 12:49:58 PM EDT
I have the mid level jump back from harbor freight (Viking 1700, quick plug on it- thing is a beast has done well by me on numerous occasions about 1.5 years old), is there any measurable risk to using a jump pack on a little 12AH quad battery? (2013 Honda Rancher 420 if it matters). It's been sitting. Got a dead battery that charging isn't bringing back. Would hate to fry an electrical something because I'm too lazy to wait for the battery change. Should be good though amiright??
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally I'd avoid that and just recharge it if you aren't in a rush.

I once got a great deal on an ATV because the seller fried the battery and starter trying to jump it with a car booster pack. He was pretty frustrated and ready to deal after that.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#2]
It’s all 1s and 0s.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 1:04:36 PM EDT
[#3]
It doesn't matter at all.  I've started motorcycles and the like with jump packs.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#4]
It will be fine.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 1:06:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I do it all the time.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes it is perfectly safe.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Wouldn't the defining factor be 12 volts? Motor will pull whatever amperage it needs.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I once got a great deal on an ATV because the seller fried the battery and starter trying to jump it with a car booster pack. He was pretty frustrated and ready to deal after that.
View Quote

I've heard this before.. at least a couple times over my life. But for every story where it's bad, there seems to be several people saying it's fine. Sigh
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've heard this before.. at least a couple times over my life. But for every story where it's bad, there seems to be several people saying it's fine. Sigh
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Polarity is a thing, but 12 volts is 12 volts.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are 12v and 6v systems. I don't know what's 6v these days as I've avoided them for decades now. But you can get some sizzles using a 12v jump on a 6v system. Possibly or probably kill it, but maybe not.

Know what you're doing and don't break your shit.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you have a normal charger?  I would try that first.    If that does not work buy a new battery.

You did try charging it.   Get a new battery.  It is toast (dead).
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

And why would you believe someone like that, if they didn't know what they were doing in the first place? They might have had polarity wrong, could've grounded the wrong line, etc.
I once saw 2 idiots try to strip apart a pair of jumper cables because they thought one color went to one car and the other color to the other car
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, and current is pulled - not pushed

OP - I've jump started motorcycles and mowers  from my dual-battery diesel truck many times .... your little jump starter is fine! (I've used those too!)
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

He fried it hooking it up reverse.
Think about it, that little dome light in your car is powered buy the same battery that starts it.
12v is 12v.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't  know.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I do it all the time.
View Quote

Same.  Did it Sunday actually.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There are 12v and 6v systems. I don't know what's 6v these days as I've avoided them for decades now. But you can get some sizzles using a 12v jump on a 6v system. Possibly or probably kill it, but maybe not.

View Quote

6 volt systems haven't  been made since the 50s . That's why you've  avoided them.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Done it plenty of times.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It doesn't matter at all.  I've started motorcycles and the like with jump packs.
View Quote

Same. The starter will only draw so much current.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I think the only real risk is that too many charging amps can shorten the life of the battery or maybe even kill it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

6 volt systems haven't  been made since the 50s . That's why you've  avoided them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had a motorcycle from the 70s that was 6v. Also a lawn tractor I got rid of and a chipper/shredder I just pull start anyway.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 3:47:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

That guy reversed polarity if he wrecked the battery. He either didn't know it or wouldn't tell you.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have the mid level jump back from harbor freight (Viking 1700, quick plug on it- thing is a beast has done well by me on numerous occasions about 1.5 years old), is there any measurable risk to using a jump pack on a little 12AH quad battery? (2013 Honda Rancher 420 if it matters). It's been sitting. Got a dead battery that charging isn't bringing back. Would hate to fry an electrical something because I'm too lazy to wait for the battery change. Should be good though amiright??
View Quote

Why "wait for the battery change"?  Did you order a battery online?  
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Started my neighbor's motorcycle with my boost pack.  Worked fine.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Why "wait for the battery change"?  Did you order a battery online?  
View Quote

Yea ordered a cheapo online. Cheapest I could find local was almost double. FYI I jumped it with the battery pack and no problems
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:49:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

The EFI Hondas won't run worth a shit without a good battery on them, especially if it's an ES or a DCT.  

The fuel pump and EFI system require good steady voltage to work correctly.

Too much electrical bullshit on them.  Running without a battery attached at all will fry your CDI or rectifier more often than not.

You can jump it with a booster pack if you need to move it, but I wouldn't take it on a cruise until you put a new battery on it.  

I use jumpers and an Optima Red Top to jump Honda ATV's all the time as I'm moving old projects around the yard.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

He hooked it up backwards most likely.

Quoted:

Think about it, that little dome light in your car is powered buy the same battery that starts it.
12v is 12v.

Correct.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#28]
It’s fine
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

12v is 12v.

Correct.
He also could have fried the starter by cranking it for an extended period while jumping.  I've seen an idiot do that to a car (just flogged the starter for minutes on end until the magic smoke came out).  The battery could have been dead to start with, otherwise, why would they be jump starting it?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yea ordered a cheapo online. Cheapest I could find local was almost double. FYI I jumped it with the battery pack and no problems
View Quote

Yuasa is the OEM battery for Hondas and most Japanese machines.  They're about $100 at Rockymountain ATV.  The good thing about them is they are shipped dry with the liquid separate, so you can store them on the shelves for years and the lifespan doesn't officially start until you add the acid to the dry battery.  

Tusk batteries come the same way, and are ok (not as good as Yuasa, but better than the Weize/Mighty Max/ Chrome junk).

GYZ16H is the same size as your factory battery with more CCA and weight.

Honda ATV battery upgrade
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#31]
You will be fine jumping it with a jump pack.

I manufacture powersports batteries for a living, so I do know a little.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I jump my 12v lawn tractor with mine (the battery drains down if it sits for a couple weeks).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top