Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2024 1:22:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HiramRanger]
Rules

1. You must CURRENTLY OWN all five of your watches. Nothing previously owned or a planned acquisition.

2. You may have infinite straps and bracelets for it.

3. You must post a pic of all 5 of your selections on YOUR wrist, no stock photos.

4. Explain why you include each in your 5 for Life rotation.

I'll go first

1. Omega Speedmaster Professional - This has been my grail watch forever. To me it is perhaps the most iconic watch ever made. Mores so than even the Rolex Submariner. Finally acquired one this year.

2. Panerai 297 - This is a statement piece, it is unique in design, yes it screams check this out. As a GMT it is good for traveling or monitoring time in another part of the world if you are dealing with an international team. Built pretty bullet proof, and it doesn't look like nearly every other Panerai out there. Love it on the steel bracelet, you know you're wearing a watch. Some days I hate that, but on other days there is something about a huge hunk of perfectly milled and polished steel on your wrist.

3. Sinn U1 with blue dial - This is a very cool daily wear. Built strong, it has a no nonsense appearance that still has a nice level of refinement. Built to take a beating and still look amazing. 44mm is my sweat spot on a lot of watches. It uses a stock movement so service if needed is easily obtained. The finishing of the bracelet and case almost look like titanium, but it is made from German submarine grade steel. You know the Germans, they make great stuff!

4. Tudor Pelagos FXD - What can I say, this is about as close to perfection as has ever been achieved in a tool watch. Lightweight titanium but rugged. Lume is fucking INSANE! Fixed lugs mean no risk of a spring bar breaking and resulting in loss or drop damage to your watch. Straps are easy to change. 42mm is the bottom range of my sweet spot. Put it on and forget you're even wearing a watch, but its there, it is running for 80 something hours on a full power reserve.

5. A recent acquisition that I figured I'd either love or hate when I ordered it. This thing is stunning, and while a dive watch, with the right leather strap it could work as a dress watch, and with a bracelet or rubber strap a sport watch. Whichever role you are using it for - it will grab attention from the uniqueness and beauty of the dial.

So, what's in your 5 Watch for Life rotation?
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:50:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WWolfe] [#1]
My list:

Tudor FXD - great daily driver for just about any situation.  Doesn't get recognized as an expensive watch, and I like that.  You are right about that lume!
Rolex SeaDweller - also great for most situations - with a suit, shorts/tee-shirt, etc.
Seiko MarineMaster 300M - for when you don't want the bling of a Rolex.  And for diving.
Sinn UX - when you need accuracy down to 1 sec/month!
G-shock - mountain biking, camping, working on cars, digging a hole, running, going to the gym

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WWolfe:
My list:

Tudor FXD - great daily driver for just about any situation.  Doesn't get recognized as an expensive watch, and I like that.  You are right about that lume!
Rolex SeaDweller - also great for most situations - with a suit, shorts/tee-shirt, etc.
Seiko MarineMaster 300M - for when you don't want the bling of a Rolex.  And for diving.
Sinn UX - when you need accuracy down to 1 sec/month!
G-shock - mountain biking, camping, working on cars, digging a hole, running, going to the gym

View Quote

Nice list... save the G-Shock!

I thought long and hard about a UX. Even though it is a very specialized type of quartz movement, it is still a quartz movement and the second hand still ticks in one second increments. I just can't get past that. Quartz to me, has no soul. Same with my Apple Watch. I tried to love it and rationalize to myself why it was cool because all it could do. At the end of the day, it is a miniaturized iPhone on a strap. I like a watch to be a watch.

Still, if I were ever to buy an expensive quartz, it would be the UX.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 3:27:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

I thought long and hard about a UX. Even though it is a very specialized type of quartz movement, it is still a quartz movement and the second hand still ticks in one second increments. I just can't get past that. Quartz to me, has no soul. Same with my Apple Watch. I tried to love it and rationalize to myself why it was cool because all it could do. At the end of the day, it is a miniaturized iPhone on a strap. I like a watch to be a watch.

View Quote

Agree.  But, 12000' depth rating and silicone filled case were interesting enough to me to try it!
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Agree.  But, 12000' depth rating and silicone filled case were interesting enough to me to try it!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Am I correct in that the UX has to go back to Sinn for a battery change and it costs as much as an automatic service?

12,000 just doesn't cut it for me... I need like 13,000' at least.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I need to buy four more.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#7]
My Sub took a dive this week.  

Attachment Attached File

I was eyeing this one when I dropped it off for repair.

Actually in stock and for sale.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Only need one.  My G-shock Rangemaster Sar
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Timex Ironman.  Don't need anything else.  Or a G Shock.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:26:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WTFShane] [#10]
1. Suunto Core - Broken, but has some pretty cool features when it did work.
2. G-Shock Rangeman - A little beefy, but chock full of coolguy stuff.
3. G-Shock GW-5610U - A straight no non-sense utility watch.
4. Seiko SNK381 - Modded it up to be a pretty slick MACV-SOG inspired watch.
5. Tudor Pelagos 39 - My 'almost' grail watch.

Maybe I'll put some pictures up later. I'll need to put them on Flickr.

Edit: Couldn't find my Suunto Core. It's somewhere in my room collecting dust.

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#11]
My list would be:

1. Rolex Explorer - my first "expensive" watch. That really started the slippery slope toward owning 15 watches or so.
2. Christopher Ward Sealander 39mm. This is actually my favorite watch. The size and design are just about perfect for me. I would prefer a polished finish to the brushed finish, but that's a small detail.
3. Omega DeVille - I bought this one last year in Norway. While walking around, my wife and I stopped in a jewelry store, where I saw it for 20% off, a slightly favorable exchange rate and a VAT rebate. It was too much to resist.
4. Bruno Sohnle Rondo automatic. It's an attractive design, IMO, and I really like it.
5. Tag Heuer Professional diver from the early 90s. It was a graduation gift, so it has tons of sentimental value.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 12:24:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 1:13:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Somebody who can follow directions… and thanks for throwing a Sinn into the mix so us paupers can relate!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I came pretty close to including a Timex

Link Posted: 9/13/2024 12:39:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Forlorn-Hope] [#14]
Ill play, my selection is comprised of the watches I wear all the time.

5610 for gym/beater, easily replaced and great for tracking rest/cardio/sets.
Attachment Attached File

spb143 for daily wear, this is the watch I put on every morning by default and was bought to celebrate turning 30.
Attachment Attached File

Hamilton khaki field because its really neat and was bought to celebrate a personal achievement.
Attachment Attached File

SPB411 has a GMT complication and fills the role of dress watch, was also bought to celebrate being promoted to senior software engineer 3.
Attachment Attached File

SKX007 because it is an absolute tank and was given to me by my mother.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:
Timex Ironman.  Don't need anything else.
View Quote

I had one of those, when I was in the Army, in the 90s.  That watch took a hell of a beating, with me being a truck driver.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 2:12:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5thLegion] [#16]
@HiramRanger, I could absolutely live with 5. Watches come and go for me, but these are the ones I’ll never get rid of:

Attachment Attached File

My favorite watch. If I had only one this would be it.

Attachment Attached File

The nicest watch I own - a true classic in 36mm. Sometimes I really enjoy wearing a smaller watch.

Attachment Attached File

I will always be a Seiko guy. Hard choice between this and the Willard re-issue.

Attachment Attached File

Must have some kind of G for banging around. This one reminds me so much of my first G with the steel case from the mid 80s.

The 5th watch is TBD. I am thinking hard on an SMP right now. Or get back into a Speedy. I don’t have a 5th keeper right now. I am leaning Omega though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top