BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 2:14:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some years back while mountain biking I decided to venture off the trail and pick my way through the woods. I decided to tun back when I ran into these two. Part of me wanted to move the one with box attached to it but I fled instead.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/38269/20190404_162505_jpg-2824771.JPG

View Quote
Might be able to top that lol. Found this deep in the woods.

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 2:23:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Might be able to top that lol. Found this deep in the woods.

View Quote

I had no idea that someone made a baby doll of Paul Harrell...
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 2:38:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Stumbled across this in the woods a couple years ago. Quickly realized it's an entire concrete/steel bridge that was washed 1/2 mile downstream when Mt St Helens erupted.

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 4:22:31 AM EDT
[#4]
OP’s pictures look like the hydrant/cistern/valves and drain tile system for an old celery farm.  

We used to hunt muskrats at a celery farm many years ago.

The soil there is probably rich black muck.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 5:58:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's the far north edge of the area. We have lots of random parcels of forest preserve around here. This is not really an area where you have "miles" of unbroken bush.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your not really out very far if you can see power lines, guardrails, and someone’s concrete driveway.

That's the far north edge of the area. We have lots of random parcels of forest preserve around here. This is not really an area where you have "miles" of unbroken bush.

Back when I was younger I did some lurking in some unbroken bush.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:11:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Random shit in my back yard that I found last week.

A fender with a wire tied to it to make a sled.

Another wagon wheel rim.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:31:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've seen similar raised sewer(?) structures outside several neighborhoods.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably the beginnings of a housing division from long ago that never got built.

Or an old farm. They dont build "manholes" above ground first. They look like cisterns plus I didn't really see any actual woods. Just a bunch of scrubby crap. Either way that land was certainly clear not all that long ago.

They're definitely built a couple feet above grade when run through areas that aren't being developed around here. And if that area was supposed to be developed, and went under or whatever, there were grades where the dirt was supposed to be and the manholes are sometimes set first and built up around
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cartel shenanigans?
View Quote

Arnold would be disappointed...
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Interesting. Yeah, this whole parcel of land has a drainage basin in it, small little creek trickles through. Drains to the Fox river. It is hidden in the grass in the first picture, nice trench. Notice how high up the road is?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The manhole are part of a abandoned gravity sewer system.
The manhole cones are elevated because they are in an area that floods.
That construction typically follows water ways or low lying flood plains it was a point A to B not a Subdivision.
Municipalities in the EPA era like to avoid the infiltration/maintenance and fines the occurs with that type of low lying systems could be the reason it was abandoned.

The hydrants could be air release valves for a water main or sewer force main.

Interesting. Yeah, this whole parcel of land has a drainage basin in it, small little creek trickles through. Drains to the Fox river. It is hidden in the grass in the first picture, nice trench. Notice how high up the road is?

The sewer needs Gravity to get from point A to B if you followed the system down stream you would find the the river out fall.  The system was probably abandoned when the municipality changed over to a sewer treatment plant instead of river outfalls.
Combined sewers (storm/sanitary) dumping into rivers was the norm not long ago (1960/70) , sewer treatment plants are a relatively new addition to the majority of sewers in the US.

There are lots of examples of these types of abandoned structures in low lying areas in the US.
I worked for an engineering firm that municipalities consultanted with to upgrade their infrastructure to comply with EPA regulations.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Very cool.  Around NC tho, it would be full of graffiti and old mattresses.  Prob some beer bottles and such too.  

Op, I like this thread so keep up the trekking and pics!  Always good to get out and about.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Cartel shenanigans?
View Quote

Shenanigans for sure,  but it ain't no man.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've only ever had that feeling a few times.  You get goosebumps and hair stands up and your guts tighten up.  All those times I've trusted my instincts though and unassed the situation minus once.

I was fishing at night solo on a big tailwater.  It's a very established area with pavilions and bathrooms and giant parking lots so not like I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Came up out of the water and there's an old van parked by my vehicle at the far end of the lot.  It's dark and foggy as fuck but as I got closer that feeling kicked in.  I'm maybe 100 yards out and my body is screaming at me to turn around,  can't even describe it.  I kept walking and pretty sure as dark as it was and the thick fog the van occupants had no idea I was there.  I triple check my CCW stuck in the front of my waders,  and for whatever reason I'm determined to get to my vehicle.

About 20 yards away the van starts up, turns on their lights, and tears out of the parking lot, tires squealing and hauling ass.

I'm assuming they finally possibly saw me in the fog.  As I got closer to my vehicle the smell of chemicals leave me to believe they were either smoking or cooking meth.

So that's my only time I didn't listen to my inner self,  almost to get run over by some fucking tweakers in a van down by the river.  

View Quote

Similar to that story, right by my house is a bike path. It was night time and I'm walking down a road that ran parallel to the path, but was separated by about 20 ft of trees. At one point you can either turn right into the neighborhood, or go straight down a dead end road that terminates into a chemical plant. At the end there is a little path that connects road to bike path. Folks like to park fown there and head to the dam to fish.

Well it was dark, I was going to go doen the dead end and up the bike path, done that a million times. For whatever reason, as I approached the last side street before the dead end, I was hit with an instinctive feeling "hey bro, instead of going down there, you should TOTALLY go right and back up into the neighborhood!" Trust me!"

I stopped for a moment, looked down the dark dead end. No danger I could see or hear, but I had a nagging feeling "no, you should DEFINITELY GO RIGHT! Just do it."

I said aloud "ok" and went right. Heard some voices coming from the dead end but I still couldnt see anyone. Sounded like spanish. 2 maybe 3 voices.

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OP’s pictures look like the hydrant/cistern/valves and drain tile system for an old celery farm.  

We used to hunt muskrats at a celery farm many years ago.

The soil there is probably rich black muck.
View Quote

You are correct about the soil. Look at that!

Interesting you brought up the soil, I took the pictures because I looked down and went "holy crap, now THAT is some damn fine growing dirt!" It is so rich, black, and moist. Soft. Smells just the right kind of earthy...
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The sewer needs Gravity to get from point A to B if you followed the system down stream you would find the the river out fall.  The system was probably abandoned when the municipality changed over to a sewer treatment plant instead of river outfalls.
Combined sewers (storm/sanitary) dumping into rivers was the norm not long ago (1960/70) , sewer treatment plants are a relatively new addition to the majority of sewers in the US.

There are lots of examples of these types of abandoned structures in low lying areas in the US.
I worked for an engineering firm that municipalities consultanted with to upgrade their infrastructure to comply with EPA regulations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That construction typically follows water ways or low lying flood plains it was a point A to B not a Subdivision.
Municipalities in the EPA era like to avoid the infiltration/maintenance and fines the occurs with that type of low lying systems could be the reason it was abandoned.

Yeah, the existing waste water treatment plant is due south of these woods, about 3/4 a mile. The orientation of the clay pipe goes in that general direction. I'm thinking you hit the nail on the head.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Stumbled across this in the woods a couple years ago. Quickly realized it's an entire concrete/steel bridge that was washed 1/2 mile downstream when Mt St Helens erupted.

https://i.imgur.com/yKWlIKG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ED7WJvJ.png
View Quote

That's pretty cool!
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They're definitely built a couple feet above grade when run through areas that aren't being developed around here. And if that area was supposed to be developed, and went under or whatever, there were grades where the dirt was supposed to be and the manholes are sometimes set first and built up around
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably the beginnings of a housing division from long ago that never got built.

Or an old farm. They dont build "manholes" above ground first. They look like cisterns plus I didn't really see any actual woods. Just a bunch of scrubby crap. Either way that land was certainly clear not all that long ago.

Interesting. I've never really thought about it, just assumed there was a good reason for it. Thought they were just cleanout ports or something.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#21]
There's Morlocks down them cone-lookin' things.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Awe man, the Doobie Brothers broke up!
View Quote

Now that's what I call a camp fire
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cartel shenanigans?

If it bleeds, we can kill it'

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#24]
It's crazy how intune with nature or bodies can be.

I am truly most alive while amongst the trees,  but when your spidey senses start tingling you better damn well pay attention to them.

I read an in depth article many years back that studied the phenomenon and wish I could find it again... very animalistic nature,  and the bodies surviving and coping mechanisms related.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's crazy how intune with nature or bodies can be.

I am truly most alive while amongst the trees,  but when your spidey senses start tingling you better damn well pay attention to them.

I read an in depth article many years back that studied the phenomenon and wish I could find it again... very animalistic nature,  and the bodies surviving and coping mechanisms related.
View Quote

Post it up if you manage to find it!
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Cartel shenanigans?
View All Quotes

Predator
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, the existing waste water treatment plant is due south of these woods, about 3/4 a mile. The orientation of the clay pipe goes in that general direction. I'm thinking you hit the nail on the head.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a department with a crew who's sole job was to survey and document the condition of those types of sewer/manholes. Sanitary/storm sewer MHs and pipe in hard to access areas, flood plains, no roads,swamps,water bridges, underwater pipes with elevated MHs, mountain tunnels, deeper +35ft.

Its a decent job if you enjoy being outside in remote area's.
We clear our own easments, building creek bridges with chain saws for fleet of 8x8 ARGOs that are carrying pipe inspection robots and survey gear. Lots of wildlife in the floodplain/ swamps.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I had a department with a crew who's sole job was to survey and document the condition of those types of sewer/manholes. Sanitary/storm sewer MHs and pipe in hard to access areas, flood plains, no roads,swamps,water bridges, underwater pipes with elevated MHs, mountain tunnels, deeper +35ft.

We clear our own easments, building creek bridges with chain saws for fleet of 8x8 ARGOs that are carrying pipe inspection robots and survey gear. Lots of wildlife in the floodplain/ swamps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a boy's dream all grown up! Who didn't do similar shit when they were younger? Or at least try to?
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sounds like a boy's dream all grown up! Who didn't do similar shit when they were younger? Or at least try to?
View Quote

Most suburban and city people don't have those skills.
Southern swamps killed the settlers in the summer, then northern winters are so cold and wet aren't optimal working conditions. You have to be a hard-core outdoors type to enjoy it.
It was kinda hard to find people who could repair/maintain the survey/ CCTV pipe inspection electronics equipment that were outdoors type. Getting the equipment in and out of the swamps/woods 5 days a week without breaking shit is a never ending challenge.
We normally went places if you broke/stuck something (4x4truck,Argo8x8,construction equipment,airboat,ect) no one was coming to fix it, self-rescue was all you had.
The kicker was if you were smart enough to do the job then the disgusting sanitary sewer jobs almost always convinced you that you were smart enough to get another job that did not involve poop sewers.
The best fit was an Audi dealership service master tech and some other new car dealer service technicians to round out the crew. It's easier to teach outdoor skills than the repair/maintenance side of the job.
The master tech was a regular 4x4 beach fishing guy, he was a good fit.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Dragons teeth innawoods?
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Dragons teeth innawoods?
View Quote

Yep but those were relatively accessible and easy to find, so I went hunting for more by following the lines and exploring patches of woods. Found these a few miles away, and a pit.

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 1:21:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Wish I had pics of all the abandoned shit in the hills where I grew up, it was great running around and exploring.

Old homesteads, hippy shacks, squatters huts, farms and ranches.  Found teepee poles fashioned from young trees still up one time.  Probably from some drifter maybe a couple years old.

There was one coulee on the property I never went into though, not once in 10+ years.  It was on a north slope and it could be the brightest summer day, but that coulee was always dark, dense with spindly little pine trees too close together to grow.  There was a huge old downed pine at the bottom in a clearing, no bark left, just gray from rot.

Just a kids imagination, but I would always go around.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top