Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2024 1:42:53 AM EDT
Those background checks and Red flag law, sure are working.

'Bittersweet': Metro Detroiters march for gun violence victims between Saturday shootings

Hours between shootings that rocked Metro Detroit on Saturday, residents marched along east Detroit streets with photos of deceased loved ones in an annual procession honoring shooting victims.

The gathering helped Robin Sykes, 62, feel less alone in her grief, the Detroit resident told The Detroit News.

“Everyone has been affected, and we’re all trying to do something about it,” Sykes said of the crowd gathered outside Church of the Messiah, where the march began from the corner of Lafayette and East Grand Boulevard.

"Under no circumstances in this country, particularly in Rochester Hills, should fathers be spending Father's Day in a hospital," U.S. Rep. John James, a Republican representing Rochester Hills in Congress, said at a press briefing on the evening shooting. "I'm looking forward to continuing to work — without politics. This is an American epidemic that we need to fix, gun violence needs to stop, and we are now most recently hit hardest by it."

Metro Detroit residents at Saturday’s march said they wanted more than gradual policy changes – they want gun violence eradicated permanently.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2024/06/16/metro-detroiters-march-against-gun-violence-amid-saturday-shootings/74111421007/
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:58:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I notice that the shooter is deliberately not identified
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:03:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Ban Assault Weapons?

From what I heard the guy used a handgun.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:15:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I notice that the shooter is deliberately not identified
View Quote

I also noticed on the news that they used the phrase 'mental health crisis' when referring to the shooter, and mentioned mental health several other times.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:04:33 AM EDT
[#5]
How many children have to die before we pass Common Sense gun legislation?
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:04:49 AM EDT
[#6]
John James has turned into quite the disappointing GOP rep.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:35:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not surprising, most do.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:01:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Sad, but this has nothing to do with "gun violence" and the vast majority screaming about it have voted for it for the past 50+years. You deserve what/who you vote for...and they're voting for racist leaders who could care less about the violence in their community. All the Marxist-Democrat politicians want from you is your vote and voice to attack their ideological opponents. Democrat cities have always been the new plantation where violence, votes, and political ammunition are what the dem servants are producing for the ruling plantation elites.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:07:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ban Assault Weapons?

View Quote

The last time I looked, the latest copy/pasta AWB going around through state legislatures defines an "assault weapon" as any weapon that has the ability to accept magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:09:33 AM EDT
[#10]
If they really wanted to "fix gun violence" then they need to admit that their liberal policies are the cause. The "Great Society" programs lead to the destruction of the family and we're seeing the predictable results. To "fix gun violence" we need policy and social changes that help to restore the family as well as solid law and order policies.

ETA: But of course they'll never admit that and the real goal after all is to disarm the citizens (well, the law-abiding citizens anyway).
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:10:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ban Assault Weapons?

View Quote

But, it could have been an assault weapon, so let’s preemptively ban something not related to the shooting…….. That would stop ALL the problems ever. No more decreases in Population, business will stop closing, no more deaths, no more inflation, ect….. it’s all the guns fault ….
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:49:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ban Assault Weapons?

View Quote

He should have started with himself.

Feni?? Ammunition

@FenixAmmunition

So apparently this Rochester shooter used a handgun, not a rifle.  The rifle was at his house.

So, that means
@SenPolehanki
can stop drunk tweeting and shut the fuck up now.

As always, the shooter was mentally ill and still managed to bypass the various existing layers of paperwork and government run background checks despite all of the laws, law enforcement, and families killed on hillsides in Idaho over a 1/4" of barrel length on a shotgun.

Obviously no metal detectors or security of any kind at a huge conglomerated mass of people, no doubt with big signs that say "no weapons allowed".

So, as always, law abiding citizens leave their LEGAL guns at home, only to be left defenseless when some nut job ignores the law once again and shoots up a waterpark full of kids.

Parents, I'll tell you this: diaper bags can get in almost everywhere lightly searched and they can fit a lot of *other stuff* inside.

Guys, in case you didn't notice, fanny packs are kind of "back", so, see what you can get away with when you know you won't be searched and you know they don't have metal detectors.

The truth is most suburban areas in metro Detroit don't have metal detectors anywhere because, well, there's generally fairly little crime out here.

So, do what you wish and obey whatever laws you think you should while not sacrificing your family's protection.

After all, this is Father's Day.  That's literally our primary job as men and as fathers or potential fathers - to protect our family no matter what it takes because nobody else will, and because they've trusted you to do it for them.  That's the deal.  That's the contract.

Now go take your family to the range.  Or next weekend's IDPA or steel challenge match.  Make it your new summer family thing.

Happy Father's Day to all of you.

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:50:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

What a pile of anti-gun crap. He's turning into a pigmented Prick Snyder.
But, still better than Debbie Stalincow or Gary's Peter.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Let's apply the successful policies of our big cities to managing the whole state.

In the case of Michigan we would all emulate the decades of successful policy of Detroit.

Hold the liberals accountable for their actions.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:55:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ban Assault Weapons?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Ban Assault Weapons?

It's been very low effort lately, not sure if they're demoralized after getting their cheeks clapped at SCOTUS repeatedly for the last few years or what.

Quoted:
If they really wanted to "fix gun violence" then they need to admit that their liberal policies are the cause. The "Great Society" programs lead to the destruction of the family and we're seeing the predictable results. To "fix gun violence" we need policy and social changes that help to restore the family as well as solid law and order policies.

ETA: But of course they'll never admit that and the real goal after all is to disarm the citizens (well, the law-abiding citizens anyway).

You get what you incentivize. Poverty, unproductive behavior, single motherhood, etc...
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 7:00:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ban Assault Weapons?

View Quote

Assault weapon = any gun except revolvers and double barrel shotguns.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#17]
But abortion is OK what is the difference?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top