Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#1]
One of my uncles was a POW during the Korean War. They broke both of his arms during his "interrogation".
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I spoke to a man about 20 years ago at the air show at Ellington Field in Houston.  He was at The Fifi B-29  he flew  them in WWII and  Korea. He said he thought he was scared flying over Japan in them.  He said flying them in Korea was 10 times worse because the Migs could literally fly up your ass and pull the trigger any time that they want to. He said the Japanese fighters could only occasionally get to them.

I will try and find the book he was selling  that he wrote about his time flying B-29s and post it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Thoughts of Uncle Freddie. He was a front line medic in the 1st Cav. He was seriously wounded for the 3rd time 4/28/51 and died the next day.

So young. Such a waste.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for posting those. My granddad was a combat medic at the battle of heartbreak ridge and has the pictures to prove it. He's still driving at 90 years old.  I'll show him the website the next time I'm there.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My uncle flew Corsairs during this conflict.

Here's his helmet

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13451/B37F3BA7-E472-4010-9BF4-85E06FC926C8_jpe-2140853.JPG
View Quote

Very cool.  I have one of those and had no idea what era it was from.

Grandfather ran a primary flying school for most of WW2, ended up in B29's off of Tinian in 45.

His son started in Thuds in Vietnam.

Must have just been something that one of them picked up from a surplus store or something back in the day.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cool thread. My great uncle was in the Korean War. He didn't really talk much about it although he was big into military history etc. The only things I remember him telling me was that he was machine gunner and he got a lot of them. Then he said he use a grenade in combat. Then his best friend was from San Francisco and had a Thompson.
View Quote

I met a Korean War vet once who was a machine gunner.  Showed me a newspaper clipping where he was decorated for manning a machine gun against a Chinese human wave attack.  Story said he killed hundreds of Chinese soldiers.

He told me that soon after, his unit was overrun.  He and about ten Americans were captured.  They were marched back by three or four Chinese soldiers.  He was concerned that the Chinese would know about the news story and he'd be tortured.  The Chinese guards couldn't understand English.  One of the Americans started singing and the guards didn't stop him.  The song became a rhythmic escape plan.  

At the proper moment, the signal was given and the Americans overpowered their guards, killing them.  The Americans split up.  He and another soldier made it back to American lines.  He didn't know what happened to the others.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#7]

My father's picture below of the same plane, and some of the many that he worked on, as part of the 93rd Bomb Squadron.

Link Posted: 11/1/2021 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 11/1/2021 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
hard to believe those choppers could actually fly.  They look like insects
View Quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piasecki_HRP_Rescuer

".... it was not unusual for the fabric covering to rip loose from the helicopter in flight, often entangling the rotor blades...."
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you Veterans!

I really enjoyed this thread so far. Anyone got more pics?
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#12]
It was my privilege to serve there in peacetime.

Looking into NK from Panmunjom and the site of the tree trimming incident/killings.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 1:51:53 AM EDT
[#13]

My grandfathers served in the Korean war, Army and Air Force. No pictures, though, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 2:26:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Jesus, 7th ID, still using water cooled 1919 MGs..wtf..
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top