Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#1]
My parents asked me tons of times “what do you want to do with all of your old toys we saved?”

“Toss it.” I said.

Every single time.

Did they?

Nope. And now it’s wandering it’s way, piece by piece to my house, because they send it home with my son.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Oh yeah it did. I'm sure it was sold for for pennies on the dollar to one of my step dads friends. My mother would have no idea what it was worth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would have seriously pissed me off.
The SC, not the bike.
That is a few thousand right there.

Oh yeah it did. I'm sure it was sold for for pennies on the dollar to one of my step dads friends. My mother would have no idea what it was worth.

On top of that, they kept the money from the sale of your property.
WTF?
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve concluded I am not my children’s archivist.

When I die, most of my treasures will go into a trash can.  Pointless for me to keep their stuff.  They need to take care of it.

Keep this in mind that I have kept way too many souvenirs of my youth.  And I am 66.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#4]
It's not the responsibility of your parents to store and safeguard your stuff. Take your shit and git.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's not the responsibility of your parents to store and safeguard your stuff. Take your shit and git.
View Quote

What about if they agree to store and safeguard your stuff and then toss it anyway?

Still cool with that?  Or no?
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Better than my parents, who took all my childhood stuff and threw it in the trash instead of asking me to come get it (to give to my kids).

Lots of legos, lincoln logs, model kits, books...  not trash.  It's in a landfill now, many fucks be upon them.
View Quote

My dad sold my stuff at a garage sale when I went to college. Turned my room into a home office that was never used.

Hot wheels, the original slotless race car set, my vinyl albums (some very rare). He sold thousands of dollars of my stuff for about $50.00 total.

Link Posted: 1/27/2022 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I wish my parents would have given me a head's up before they got rid of my stuff.  What's so difficult about "We want to get rid of this stuff, so if you want any of it come and get it".  Nope, too hard.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Reminds me, I should call my BIL and tell him to get his shit out of my garage.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Better than my parents, who took all my childhood stuff and threw it in the trash instead of asking me to come get it (to give to my kids).

Lots of legos, lincoln logs, model kits, books...  not trash.  It's in a landfill now, many fucks be upon them.
View Quote

Yep, my OG transformers and GI Joes are all in a landfill somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lucky,

My mother (and step father) sold my Stingray bike, B&M super charger with low rise carb kit (new, not installed yet) and a set of aluminum mag wheels while I was in BOOT CAMP. No, I did not get any of the money. Also the full B&M set up was stored under my bed as my room was all the storage I was allowed. It was going on my car when I got home on leave. At least they didn't sell my car.
View Quote

Freshman year in college, a guy I knew from out of state went home for Christmas to find his mother had sold his car (bought with his part time / summer job money) and bought herself a new sofa with the money.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No Seawolf or Wolfenstein...

No care
View Quote

Don’t think those titles made it to the Mac. Those were DOS only.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Just realized my Darth Vadar helmet is still at my moms house.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Don’t think those titles made it to the Mac. Those were DOS only.
View Quote

Probably right on Wolfenstein but I remember getting kicked off the Apple II so my stepdad could get his Seawolf on.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Probably right on Wolfenstein but I remember getting kicked off the Apple II so my stepdad could get his Seawolf on.
View Quote

Cool if they did get ported over, just recall that very few games were marketed/supported macs in those days. I had 688 Attack prior to Seawolf but preferred the Wing Commander series.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
parents (& relatives in general) will screw you over & act like its their right to do it.  somethings wrong with you for not liking it.
View Quote

It's worse when one of them is a life-long democrat true believer.

Fortunately, I was home, when my father walked over to my house with one of the guys from the roofing crew that was putting a new roof on his house, so he felt an obligation to talk to me about the boat trailer that he felt I had no use for and should go to someone who could use it (the roofer).  I pointed out that I had three boats, but only two trailers, so if the roofer got one of the trailers, I would then have one trailer and three boats.  "It's been a long time since you used those boats."  "Yeah, the last time I was out on the lake, was a little while before the car wreck that led to four trips to surgery and a few rounds of physical therapy, so I haven't been able to use the boats while I've been recovering."

He waited until I was at work, to give my anvil away.

Second dumbest thing I have done in my life (marrying my ex-wife, was the dumbest), was agreeing to his proposal for me to build my house on land that he would sell to me after the house was done and my budget recovered from the expense of building the house.  He started finding excuses to put off selling me the land, and eventually didn't even want to talk about it, until the day he came over and explained that he had been doing that for my own good, because he had been convinced that since my older brother lost his home to foreclosure (while I was building my house), I would somehow end up doing the same (even though I had no mortgage).  

The reason he felt compelled to have that conversation with me, was because he had signed paperwork putting a lean on his estate for my mother's medical bills (he could never afford to pay them, since he had thought "the government was supposed to take care of all that" and had never considered the possibility in his budget), which meant he had signed my house away in the process.  I later learned that both of my sisters had ripped him a new one over that mess, but I don't know if that happened before he talked to me (giving him further motivation to explain his actions to me), or if they tore into him after he talked to me.

"It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C. S. Lewis

Lotta truth in that quote.

While building my current house (I bought the land first, this time), I had to avoid using anybody that had a connection to my father.  Early on, I tried to work out a deal with an uncle to move some dirt with his tractor (he was already in the area doing similar work), but my father blocked it, because he had decided I would never be able to build a house on this hillside and it would just be hurting me to let me throw away more money on my plans.

I barely managed to get moved from the old house, to the new house (on this hillside), before the auction company sold off the old place to settle his estate.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:21:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So are you saying that if you leave stuff at their house and for many years, basically abandon it, they don't have the right to toss it? Because it's sounds like some of you think your parents have to store your crap forever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
parents (& relatives in general) will screw you over & act like its their right to do it.  somethings wrong with you for not liking it.
So are you saying that if you leave stuff at their house and for many years, basically abandon it, they don't have the right to toss it? Because it's sounds like some of you think your parents have to store your crap forever.

I have the opposite. Every so often my mom will comment on the stuff in the loft and I tell her to throw it out.

"I'll keep it a little longer, in case you decide you want it"
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Cool if they did get ported over, just recall that very few games were marketed/supported macs in those days. I had 688 Attack prior to Seawolf but preferred the Wing Commander series.
View Quote

Not a Mac,  Apple IIe.

Although we did get a Macintosh eventually.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Across country is weird code speak for basement.
View Quote

Or the shed in the back yard.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Do you have a point or are you humble bragging about your wealth?  

Whatever.  Have a great day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Perhaps on a child's allowance.

Do you have a point or are you humble bragging about your wealth?  

Whatever.  Have a great day.

He clearly hasn't priced Lego lately. It's always been expensive and it's not getting cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My mom threw away all my old stuff. I had my cheerleading uni with my poms, loads of sheet music, a shoe box full of concert tix stubs, etc. I'm not that far away from her, all she had to do as ask and I would have come to get it.

She missed my old platform shoes. I grabbed those and took them home.

I found an old pic... obviously they hadn't been worn or even in daylight for years. Holy shit, how did I walk in those things?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/220676/platform_shoes_JPG-2256281.JPG
View Quote

I find thicker heels easier to walk in - as I have a lot of feet issues.

I have a pair that look similar...I'd post a pic, but I already packed them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#22]
If anyone’s parents are bugging them to get their stuff, hit me up. I’ll take your stuff.

I currently have all of my brothers and their kids stuff. Sports cards, micro machines, gi joes, transformers, etc. I’ve got plenty of storage space
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been on the other side of the mom throwing out stuff thing.

When I was a teen in the seventies, I was on a BSA crew that was going around picking up peoples junk to haul off (there was probably a donation involved - I don't know).

Anyway at one of the stops, there were several boxes of vintage car magazines.  Hot Rod, the old Rod & Custom pocket sized, some Car Craft.  Mostly sixties with a few older.  I ask lady if I could keep them instead of dumping them.  She says her son is in the Army and "sure, you can have them".

I still have them.  I've read most of them.

Keep in mind that Vietnam was still going on when this happened.  I wonder how he fared.  I'm moving soon and will have to cull my magazine collection.  Maybe if I can find his name on a subscription tag I'll try to connect.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Glad that thread title was misleading. Thought you were talking about your actual junk.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My parents asked me tons of times “what do you want to do with all of your old toys we saved?”

“Toss it.” I said.

Every single time.

Did they?

Nope. And now it’s wandering it’s way, piece by piece to my house, because they send it home with my son.
View Quote

Oldest trick in the book.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Luckily my parents didn't throw anything out without asking.

I got all my NES, SNES, ps1 and stuff at my place that I need to sell but I got too many memories of the shit. Countless hours doing chores, birthday money, and other saving to buy the games and consoles. My parents didn't buy me video games for gifts ever so it was a good lesson on working towards a goal.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Lucky,

My mother (and step father) sold my Stingray bike, B&M super charger with low rise carb kit (new, not installed yet) and a set of aluminum mag wheels while I was in BOOT CAMP. No, I did not get any of the money. Also the full B&M set up was stored under my bed as my room was all the storage I was allowed. It was going on my car when I got home on leave. At least they didn't sell my car.
View Quote

Ouch, that's cruel
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I think those types of shoes were designed to be pointed at the ceiling…

View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]Originally Posted By
Holy shit, how did I walk in those things?

I think those types of shoes were designed to be pointed at the ceiling…

Well, there is that...

But they certainly made me taller. I'm 5'1" if I stand up really straight. However, in this 1976 prom pic my date was 6' tall:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/27/2022 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My mom threw away all my old stuff. I had my cheerleading uni with my poms, loads of sheet music, a shoe box full of concert tix stubs, etc. I'm not that far away from her, all she had to do as ask and I would have come to get it.

She missed my old platform shoes. I grabbed those and took them home.

I found an old pic... obviously they hadn't been worn or even in daylight for years. Holy shit, how did I walk in those things?
View Quote

holy wow, bet those were comfy
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#30]
My dad got drafted and grandma threw out all of his stuff while he was in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#31]
When I reenlisted my mom decided I wasn't coming home.

She threw away all my Hustler, Easy Rider and Soldier of Fortune magazines.

I feel your pain O.P.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Working on the farm tore the hell outta those, usually at the headphone cord connection.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Whenever my parents complain about the one or two totes of my old stuff that’s taking up the equivalent of nothing in their big house I remind them of all the shit they hoard… and upon their death I’ll eventually have to toss. So I ask if I can get a head start on throwing their shit out. That always buys me more time
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I am 49 and was at my parents' house over the weekend and found a bunch of the original parts I had taken off my 65 Mustang when I was 15 that will now be going back on it.   They are in better shape that the aftermarket parts I replaced them with 35yrs ago.    

One pretty bad opps.  Dad and I were using their Sauna upstairs to store some boxes and one of them had liquid leak out which ruined the redwood bench, wall and floor.   The container was so decayed I couldn't figure out what it was, but it smelled like hell and wouldn't be safe or pleasant to sit in there until the wood is replaced.  Going to cost way more than the crap that was stored was worth - especially since 80% of it went straight to the dump.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top