[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:
Originally Posted By Caboose314:

I think Leclerc won that competition as well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/187062/win_png-3224376.JPG

No, Carlos wins that race.

https://www.lifeandstylemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/rebecca-donaldson03.jpg

Yeah, no.  Charles' girl is a natural beauty.  That chick has a square jaw and fake looking lips, just nowhere near as striking.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By fike:
View Quote

Good Riddance, that POS never belonged on the grid.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

I’d be pretty surprised if they actually did that.  Granted, Famin was pretty pissed, but still.  Can their reserve driver do better in the race than Ocon could?  Any points can only help.  Although with the 5 place grid penalty, points may not be likely anyway.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:

I disagree with 87% of what Shung says.  But I would not muzzle him.  I do not want this thread to become an Echo chamber.  You do have a tough job. keeping this thread under control.
View Quote

Thanks for your post. I’m fine with you disagreeing with me a lot. I can be wrong like everyone else. Yet I always try to put arguments to my opinions.  That being said:

Someone recently accused me that ‘these days most of my posts are ‘trolling’ and then complaining about getting insulted’

Check the last posts from me this whole week and the last 7-8 pages, and please see how that is true, or false.

While you are at it, count the number of times people directly referred to me with disparaging comments, and see how many times I said anything to them about it at all.

Anyway. I like reading from everyone here. No matter what
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 11:50:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#9]
Originally Posted By willi3d:

I’d be pretty surprised if they actually did that.  Granted, Famin was pretty pissed, but still.  Can their reserve driver do better in the race than Ocon could?  Any points can only help.  Although with the 5 place grid penalty, points may not be likely anyway.
View Quote

I don’t think it will happen. Won’t fly with the French audience.
Alpine and Renault main market
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:

I disagree with 87% of what Shung says.  But I would not muzzle him.  I do not want this thread to become an Echo chamber.  You do have a tough job. keeping this thread under control.
View Quote

It's already an Eco Chamber.

"Max Max Max!!!"

"Lewis is a gay homo woke lesbian fag who can't drive."

"Max didn't win - F1 is boring!"

2016 - 2021:  "ugh, those fags at Mercedes keep winning.  Change the rules (again and again) because F1 is boring as fuck!"

2022 - May 22, 2024:  "F1 is so exciting - I can't wait for this race weekend to see how far ahead Max is from the rest of the field!"

And of course the pile on of anyone who disagrees.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 11:56:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#11]
Originally Posted By RRA_223:

"Max Max Max!!!"

2016 - 2021:  "ugh, those fags at Mercedes keep winning.  Change the rules (again and again) because F1 is boring as fuck!"

2022 - May 22, 2024:  "F1 is so exciting - I can't wait for this race weekend to see how far ahead Max is from the rest of the field!"

View Quote

Damn ! Where is your newsletter so I can subscribe ?

;)
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:26:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Esterhase] [#12]
Periods of dominance are only boring if you don't support the driver or team. All that is left is the discipline of the true enthusiast, the person that watches anyway.

The truth is, watch for long enough and you realize nothing lasts forever, and that even in the most dull season, there is something interesting. You may have to look for it, but it is there. I start reading the technical forums a lot when I get bored; it keeps things interesting.

For example, Max said something very revealing this weekend. It is not that the RBR car is bad at Monaco, it is simply that everyone else has caught up to where it is good. They do not have that edge anymore.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

It could be as simple as a good excuse to “test” Doohan over a race weekend.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By poison123:

Good Riddance, that POS never belonged on the grid.
View Quote

Why do you say that? He's Alpine's only winner to date. I think he certainly has enough talent.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Esterhase:
Periods of dominance are only boring if you don't support the driver or team. All that is left is the discipline of the true enthusiast, the person that watches anyway.

The truth is, watch for long enough and you realize nothing lasts forever, and that even in the most dull season, there is something interesting. You may have to look for it, but it is there. I start reading the technical forums a lot when I get bored; it keeps things interesting.

For example, Max said something very revealing this weekend. It is not that the RBR car is bad at Monaco, it is simply that everyone else has caught up to where it is good. They do not have that edge anymore.
View Quote

Is Schumacher the exception?   He caught shit for "wrecking" during Quali at Monaco that one year, where the car took no damage but blocked the track and effectively clinched his pole position start.  

Aside from that, didn't most people generally love the Dynasty?
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:56:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#16]

Is Schumacher the exception?   He caught shit for "wrecking" during Quali at Monaco that one year, where the car took no damage but blocked the track and effectively clinched his pole position start.  

View Quote

wait, he did a checo and was sent to the back of the grid for that ? (I remember it too well ;) )
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Why do you say that? He's Alpine's only winner to date. I think he certainly has enough talent.
View Quote

Because he has a history of not being able to work with Team mates and causing crashes at this point.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

2000-2004? It was fucking miserable, imho. 2003 was the worst because of the tyre politics, which in turn led to Michelin's terrible revenge in 2005, ruining the US GP that year. There were high points, but you knew the odds were a Ferrari was going to win, and it would Schumacher unless the title was already a foregone conclusion.

2006 was an awesome fight. I would not have resented Schumacher taking that, at all.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Because he has a history of not being able to work with Team mates and causing crashes at this point.
View Quote

Remember what he did in Brazil as well.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Shung:

Remember what he did in Brazil as well.
View Quote

This kind of low-percentage driving is applauded when certain drivers do it. I am not saying it is right, but it is very subject to perception and bias. Take Ferruci in Indycar as an example. He drives like a complete tool, and commentary applaud his robust racing style in the manner of SuperTex.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

That is my biggest problem with Okon - he seems to be thoughtlessly agressive and especially so with his own teammates.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SemperGumbi:

That is my biggest problem with Okon - he seems to be thoughtlessly agressive and especially so with his own teammates.
View Quote

What he did in Monaco made zero sense at all.  Alpine needs to make the decision with a lot of good drivers out there, that just because he's "French" doesn't mean shit to a team that is sucking part in because the team mates can't work togeter.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Esteban OUTcon
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#24]

What he did in Monaco made zero sense at all.  Alpine needs to make the decision with a lot of good drivers out there, that just because he's "French" doesn't mean shit to a team that is sucking part in because the team mates can't work togeter.
View Quote

The French thing means a hell of a lot, for better or worse. A lot of history behind it. Ligier were the last example of a team that really took it to extremes.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Alpine giving Ocon that three year contract in 2021 was insane. It all but directly lead to Alonso leaving and Piastri never suiting up for them. Ocon is the first driver I would give the boot to if I was made King of F1. I’ve never liked him.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 3:09:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Esterhase] [#26]
Originally Posted By Mars87:
Alpine giving Ocon that three year contract in 2021 was insane. It all but directly lead to Alonso leaving and Piastri never suiting up for them. Ocon is the first driver I would give the boot to if I was made King of F1. I’ve never liked him.
View Quote

I don't think that's how it went down.

Alpine's legal completely dropped the ball, failing to act inside of Piastri's management's formally agreed deadline for a contract (thus releasing him by default), and I think this happened with Fernando too - by the time Alpine got a contract on the table he had all but decided to jump to Aston Martin. Fernando cited Alpine's lack of competence as one of his reasons for leaving.

He had a poor relationship with Ocon, but I don't recall him being mentioned at all in the negotiation reports. Alonso could certainly handle Esteban's petulance. He pretty much wrote the book on that.

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#27]

I don't think that's how it went down.

Alpine's legal completely dropped the ball, failing to act inside of Piastri's management's formally agreed deadline for a contract (thus releasing him by default), and I think this happened with Fernando too - by the time Alpine got a contract on the table he had all but decided to jump to Aston Martin. Fernando cited Alpine's lack of competence as one of his reasons for leaving.

He had a poor relationship with Ocon, but I don't recall him being mentioned at all in the negotiation reports. Alonso could certainly handle Esteban's petulance. He pretty much wrote the book on that.

View Quote

Like I said, all but.

Signing him to a three year deal shows a lack of competence.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
Can we do Stroll next?
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Kym's video mentions that one of the photog's got injured in that. Nothing life threatening or anything, just hit
by some debris or something.

Charles Leclerc: MONACO'S F1 hero!

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Either LeClerc is diving in or Vasseur's back is bent the wrong way.

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By sgthatred:
As  boring as Monaco was/is/willbe, its still better than watching those fat assed Indy cars drive on an oval for 500 miles.

View Quote

I no longer consider Indy cars open wheel single seaters.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Didn’t see this mentioned here but I saw Helmut saying Perez’s car has between 2 and 3 million in damage. That has to sting.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 11:07:48 PM EDT
[#34]

"Max Max Max!!!"

View Quote
Dude, you should have been here when Seb was winning everything.  

I just showed up in the thread for the Shung meltdowns about Ferrari sucking once again.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
The Tifosi loved it, the rest of us not too much.  There were only a couple of years in there though where Ferrari was truly dominant, and I honestly believe that if McLaren actually was able to build a reliable car in the early 2000's, Kimi would have had seven titles, not Schumacher.  Mika had no problem stamping paid on him, and Kimi is a better drive than Mika ever was.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 7:31:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stampkolektor] [#36]
I thought when the Marshalls were picking up the pieces of the cars, it would suck to be the Peon for Haas and RB to pick through which part is theirs. Im sure there are proprietary parts in those that each team wants to protect.

I didnt watch it live, but saw it yesterday. All in all a good race, glad for Leclerc to win in Monaco. Piastri and Norris are a strong strong future for Mclaren.

edit: We were one loose Stroll Tire away from making it very interesting in the end.

and wth Kmag the Destroyer.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By anesvick:
The Tifosi loved it, the rest of us not too much.  There were only a couple of years in there though where Ferrari was truly dominant, and I honestly believe that if McLaren actually was able to build a reliable car in the early 2000's, Kimi would have had seven titles, not Schumacher.  Mika had no problem stamping paid on him, and Kimi is a better drive than Mika ever was.  
View Quote

2002 & 2004 were the worst years; Ferrari had such a dominant car, but they did not always have it their own way. I rewatched a lot of 2004 races recently (missed most of 2nd half due to dealing with family stuff) and there's a lot going on away from the front. McLaren's reliability as you say was amazingly bad, and that car was said to be the 2003 challenger that never raced (because they worried it was unreliable...) I don't miss the grooved tyres so much, but I like the fact they were balls out all the way through the GP.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#38]
The first lap was interesting.

The rest was boring.

But we all knew Monaco is won on the qualifying day.

Unless a car breaks of course or you get in a major wreck.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#39]
The wagons are now circled.

Well done, Andretti. Well done…

Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

I don't know what to think anymore. I say if they have the budget, let them in. They'll stand or fall on their own.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#41]

I don't know what to think anymore. I say if they have the budget, let them in. They'll stand or fall on their own.
View All Quotes

If I had to guess, F1/FIA are working with other new potential teams who they believe will be stronger contenders.

Or, they're waiting for the new Concorde agreement to jack up the price of admission from $200 million to $1 billion, and then they will allow 2 new teams.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

I wonder what changed his perspective?  I figured getting Symonds on their side would have bolstered how serious they were and help their chances.  Doesn't seem to be the case
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#43]

Well done, Andretti. Well done

View Quote

Haas seems like a good choice.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#44]

The rest was boring.

View Quote

I think its worse than boring etc.  Everybody was evidently 4 seconds off Pace.....on purpose.  Monaco after that either needs to disappear, or be revised with additional mandatory pit stops.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By racerpk11:

I wonder what changed his perspective?  I figured getting Symonds on their side would have bolstered how serious they were and help their chances.  Doesn't seem to be the case
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By racerpk11:

It aligns the position of FOM and FIA in response the congressional nonsense.

He was quoted as saying:

“I still believe we should have more teams but not any teams - the right teams. It’s not about the number, it’s about the quality.”
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#46]

I think its worse than boring etc.  Everybody was evidently 4 seconds off Pace.....on purpose.  Monaco after that either needs to disappear, or be revised with additional mandatory pit stops.
View All Quotes

The rest was boring.

I forget which F1 tv commentator made the comment but he said it was a race to see who could go the slowest.

I assume he was alluding to teams trying to create enough of a gap to get a pit stop in for a team mate and try something with tires.

I’m no expert on what needs to be done to make Monaco more competitive but something should be done or skip it entirely.

Link Posted: 5/28/2024 12:29:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Esterhase] [#47]
Originally Posted By chaas67:

I forget which F1 tv commentator made the comment but he said it was a race to see who could go the slowest.

I assume he was alluding to teams trying to create enough of a gap to get a pit stop in for a team mate and try something with tires.

I’m no expert on what needs to be done to make Monaco more competitive but something should be done or skip it entirely.

View Quote

This happens literally every year. The first year of the new Pirelli regs - 2012 - it was noted that the cars were lapping at GP2 pace, for exactly the same reason they did last Sunday.

Monaco is like the Oscars or the Met Gala. It's bling, speed (some) and money.

It isn't going anywhere. It's like saying Ferrari shouldn't compete. It has tremendous prestige.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

The rest was boring.

I’m in favor of just allowing C5’s for the whole weekend.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

The rest was boring.

Add a mandatory joker lap or two, or smaller Monaco spec cars.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 1:21:21 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

???  I thought them buying an existing team was always an option.  This doesn’t seem anything new.
Page / 201
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top