Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4929 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 9/26/2023 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:
Since the topic of the SS Galicia is in the news, I wanted to post some info since much of the conservative media is yet again posting a Kremlin narrative unfortunately.

Many are very ignorant about what the Galicia SS was. It was NOT a typical German SS unit, it was a military unit ONLY used only for front line combat. Ukrainians that joined pledged:

- ONLY to fight Russian communists since Russia just a few years earlier deported 300,000 Ukrainians to die in Siberia AND Stalin murdersd between 7 - 12 million Ukrainians in the Holodomor in 1931, the largest genocide by famine in order to wipe out Ukrainian history, ethnicity, culture, and language (something that was going on for hundreds of years between Muscovites/Russians and Kyivan-Rus people/Ukrainians).

- Ukrainians stated that they are NEVER to be positioned to fight ANY Allied force (and in the rare instance where they wound up faced off with one like France, they surrendered), and they never fought the Allies

- The SS Galicia funneled weapons to the Ukrainian Insurgent Army which was fighting and killing the Russians AND the Germans

- At one point, SS Galicia Units joined the Ukrainian Insurgent Army in mass

- The Ukrainian SS Galicia were NOT political Nazis nor did they consider themselves Nazis (Nazis killed over 2 million Ukrainians in WW2, my family wound up in a German camp and their home, business, and farm were taken)

- the Russians HATED Ukrainians and their partisan groups so as they say, the victors write the history and they did- filled with lies about Ukrainians

I won't list a bunch of books about this because ARFCOM is book/reading phobic,  but here is one interview which may be of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOQHS0EPDc0

View Quote

Yeah, but they did massacre Polish peasants, under German order but consistent with the desires of their own leaders. And they happily killed Jews just like everyone else in the neighborhood.

These things that happened must be admitted and examined. It's complicated. People must undertand that, at least.

People will then either inspect it and think about, come to accept there's a lot of nuisance and and context, or say fuck it and walk away. Either way if they understand it they won"t be these witless dipshits hooting at Azov flags with wolfhooks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 11:24:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:
View Quote

Eat a bag of dicks you cheap water melon saleman.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 11:25:06 PM EDT
[#3]
shell game
View Quote

Pinky swear wink wink
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 11:29:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Since the topic of the SS Galicia is in the news, I wanted to post some info since much of the conservative media is yet again posting a Kremlin narrative unfortunately.

Many are very ignorant about what the Galicia SS was. It was NOT a typical German SS unit, it was a military unit ONLY used only for front line combat. Ukrainians that joined pledged:

- ONLY to fight Russian communists since Russia just a few years earlier deported 300,000 Ukrainians to die in Siberia AND Stalin murdersd between 7 - 12 million Ukrainians in the Holodomor in 1931, the largest genocide by famine in order to wipe out Ukrainian history, ethnicity, culture, and language (something that was going on for hundreds of years between Muscovites/Russians and Kyivan-Rus people/Ukrainians).

- Ukrainians stated that they are NEVER to be positioned to fight ANY Allied force (and in the rare instance where they wound up faced off with one like France, they surrendered), and they never fought the Allies

- The SS Galicia funneled weapons to the Ukrainian Insurgent Army which was fighting and killing the Russians AND the Germans

- The Ukrainian SS Galicia were NOT political Nazis nor did they consider themselves Nazis (Nazis killed over 2 million Ukrainians in WW2, my family wound up in a German camp and their home, business, and farm were taken)

- the Russians HATED Ukrainians and their partisan groups so as they say, the victors write the history and they did- filled with lies about Ukrainians

I won't list a bunch of books about this because ARFCOM is book/reading phobic,  but here is one interview which may be of interest:

View Quote

I'm not super educated about the 1st Galician, but I do know that the Baltic SS units were not cut from the same cloth as the Nazis and they solely fought against the Bolsheviks. The US government after the war also ruled that the Baltic SS units were not equivalent in constitution and ideology to their German counterparts, and they partook in guarding the Nuremberg trials. Overall, they had valid reasons for taking up arms in the SS in terms of preserving their homelands in the face of Bolshevism and Russian imperialism. I'm sure a similar dynamic was significantly at play in terms of the 1st Galician.

Ultimately, I just can't find myself inclined to care about the fact that some Ukrainians idolize the UPA and 1st Galician. The Ukrainians aren't invading sovereign states on the basis of irredentism, they aren't throwing people in camps, they aren't torturing prisoners and raping women as a matter of policy, etc. One party in this conflict is behaving like the Nazis, and it's not the Ukrainians.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think I've seen this one posted.  Even walruses hate russians!

X Twitter Link

Welcome to the Flork army Mr Walrus.

Link Posted: 9/26/2023 11:47:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's a better version.

Link Posted: 9/26/2023 11:50:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By METT-T:

Yeah, but they did massacre Polish peasants, under German order but consistent with the desires of their own leaders. And they happily killed Jews just like everyone else in the neighborhood.

These things that happened must be admitted and examined. It's complicated. People must undertand that, at least.

People will then either inspect it and think about, come to accept there's a lot of nuisance and and context, or say fuck it and walk away. Either way if they understand it they won"t be these witless dipshits hooting at Azov flags with wolfhooks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By METT-T:

When Barbarossa kicked off, any Eastern European in territory occupied by the Soviets had a choice between remaining with one evil or jumping over to another. How they chose was very difficult, and it's not the sort of choice many in the modern world have had to make. There had also already been twenty years of ugliness in that part of the world before the Germans rolled in. Overall, the subject of a lot of the ~ collaborationist formations is a complicated one. In terms of the modern rhetoric surrounding those formations, it's important to note that the meaning of symbols and historical figures can evolve over time, and it's also really, really important to take note of the narrative the Russians deliberately crafted post-WW2.

Post-WW2, the Russians promoted a narrative in which they were the ultimate victims of Nazism who were simultaneously the least likely to collaborate. So, they portrayed themselves as being the ultimate victims and the ultimate heroes. Of course, both of those narratives are total bullshit. The Russians did not suffer uniquely, and most Soviet peoples collaborated at similar rates, with the Belarusians collaborating a bit less and the Volksdeutchse collaborating more (for obvious reasons). Nevertheless, lots of people within the Soviet sphere of influence have been socialized with the anti-Russian centric version of Nazi ideology. So, the occasional use of Nazi symbols by Ukrainians and other Eastern Europeans fighting for Ukraine shouldn't really come as a surprise.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 11:53:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By stgdz:

View All Quotes

They already have F-16s, we may as well sell more. They will buy those or Eurofighters. May as well let Americans make money.

shell game

Pinky swear wink wink

My assumption is Germany will transfer them to another country, who will transfer more of their tanks. Example, they transfer them to Greece. Greece transfers their own Leopard 2s.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 11:54:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lieh-tzu] [#9]
New Russian Media Monitor. "Are we going to take Kyiv or what? And what are the goals? At a minimum, Berlin." Berlin? Just because they can't actually accomplish their goals doesn't mean they should be treated as if those goals aren't real. The declare themselves dedicated to the conquest of all eastern Europe, all the way to Berlin. Somebody needs to tell those jerks that making a move on a NATO country will have one result: the EU flag replacing Russian flags in Moscow & St Petersburg. STFU, Russian scum.

Propagandist is confused about Russia's goals
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:04:07 AM EDT
[#10]
AC/DC will never not be cool.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:09:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Prime:
AC/DC will never not be cool.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:19:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Accurate.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F6-5VCMXYAA2R4C?format=jpg&name=small

Still meh.
Just like Russian bloggers, show me where they're wrong.

View Quote

Looks like you have a center-right brother and a center-left brother.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:40:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#13]

Skipping ahead to some samples...

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:45:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#14]
Originally Posted By Auto5guy:

I don't think I've seen this one posted.  Even walruses hate russians!

X Twitter Link

Welcome to the Flork army Mr Walrus.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F68B8QmXMAAlrQg?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

There is also a pike that jumped out of the water and chomped down a Russian fisherman’s privates. 😂

Add SNEK to the Flork club!

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:52:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#15]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
New Russian Media Monitor. "Are we going to take Kyiv or what? And what are the goals? At a minimum, Berlin." Berlin? Just because they can't actually accomplish their goals doesn't mean they should be treated as if those goals aren't real. The declare themselves dedicated to the conquest of all eastern Europe, all the way to Berlin. Somebody needs to tell those jerks that making a move on a NATO country will have one result: the EU flag replacing Russian flags in Moscow & St Petersburg. STFU, Russian scum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nzC5SDfYIA
View Quote

Their propaganda certainly reveals their dream goals. I find it hard to blame them for holding on to this fantasy as NATO has not demonstrated much stomach for confrontation yet. It would be easy for them to assume once the troublesome Ukrainian are out of the way it might be an easy roll into Berlin. Weakness in the face of psychopathy engenders boldness of aggression.

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 1:08:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Personnel count down quite a bit but artillery still near all time highs.

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 1:12:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 1:15:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 1:56:29 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

That is straight up white wash bullshit. They were used extensively for anti-partisan duties. Furthermore holding up the fact that they supported and joined the Ukrainian Insurgent Army (Who happened to have a policy of ethnic cleansing against the Poles and had no problems turning Jews over to the Nazis) is not helping your case. My view on this doesn't come from Russian sources but from the Polish national archives and the fact that the Ukrainian Insurgent Army turned my Great Grandparents over to the fucking Nazis.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 2:42:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Gudabeg:

How about we send half of the F-16s, then Turkey votes, then we send the other half.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
View Quote
How about the US "votes" Turkey out of nato. Then, still no f-16's.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 2:44:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#21]

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 2:57:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 4:06:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By RockNwood:
I’m calling it:
He’s dead, Jim.

This is the worst proof of life possible. Shoigu does all the talking. Solokov doesn’t blink or twitch, let alone speak. He is is front of Finnish flags??? His seat back looks like a hospital bed raised up. This could be doctored video, or a picture of him from before. There is nothing to indicate he is alive in the present.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/494438/IMG_3964-2967584.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/494438/IMG_3965-2967589.jpg

View Quote

Russian Navy ensign.

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 4:07:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#24]
The number of serious crimes in the Russian Federation involving migrants has increased by 32% since the beginning of 2023 compared to the same period last year - UK

“The Chairman of the Investigative Committee voiced the problem of increasing crime among migrants. It was noted that from January to July 2023, compared to the same period last year, the number of grave and especially grave acts committed by migrants increased by 32% - from 8.5 to almost 11 thousand. Of particular concern are the statistics on crimes against the person, including murders, and cases of intentional infliction of grievous bodily harm resulting in the death of the victim. The number of criminal cases involving migrants’ crimes against sexual integrity has also increased,” the press service of the Russian Investigative Committee said in a statement.

https://t.me/topwar_official/77359

The authorities demanded the abandonment of Western chips in weapons and critical infrastructure until 2035

Russian authorities demanded that developers stop using foreign chips in the development and operation of military equipment, as well as products for critical infrastructure facilities (banks, fuel and energy complex, telecom). This follows from the updated “Consolidated strategy for the development of the manufacturing industry of the Russian Federation until 2030 and for the period until 2035,” writes Kommersant with reference to the document.

We are talking about microprocessor architectures, explained the Ministry of Industry and Trade. The department noted that the government is now forming approaches to the “predominant use” of “domestic trusted solutions in terms of radio-electronic products.” However, moving away from the use of priority (closed) architectures when designing microelectronics makes sense only as foreign factories abandon contract manufacturing, says a source in the semiconductor industry.

“If chips are designed not on a foreign proprietary architecture, their release abroad will be complicated,” agrees Arseny Brykin, general director of the Basis consortium. But the Russian microelectronics industry now has no other choice, says a source in one of the large design centers.

“To briefly describe the only Russian chip that we should expect in the near future, it will be a processor developed on RISC-V, produced and packaged at a factory in China. But it’s not a fact that this chip can be called Russian,” the interlocutor concluded.

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/15933

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 4:08:17 AM EDT
[#25]
HOW PILOTS IN UKRAINE ADAPT TO THE F-16s
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 4:09:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 4:14:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

Russian Navy ensign.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
I’m calling it:
He’s dead, Jim.

This is the worst proof of life possible. Shoigu does all the talking. Solokov doesn’t blink or twitch, let alone speak. He is is front of Finnish flags??? His seat back looks like a hospital bed raised up. This could be doctored video, or a picture of him from before. There is nothing to indicate he is alive in the present.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/494438/IMG_3964-2967584.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/494438/IMG_3965-2967589.jpg

Russian Navy ensign.

Ok that makes sense. Still he ain’t moving. Long boring speech everyone else is fidgeting a bit. Looks doctored.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 4:32:32 AM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 4:33:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 4:34:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#30]

Latvia threatened to close the border with Russia and Belarus

Latvia may close the border with Russia and Belarus in the event of a massive influx of illegal migrants. This was stated by Latvian President Edgars Rinkevics at a meeting with German Defense Minister Boris Pistorius.

The topic of the negotiations held in Riga on Tuesday was the threat of “hybrid attacks” on the Latvian border from Belarus and Germany’s participation in ensuring the security of the region. “Rinkēvičs expressed the position that Latvia is ready to take all necessary measures, including closing the border with Belarus and Russia, especially in cases of a massive influx of migrants,” the office of the Latvian President reports.

Also during the meeting, Rinkēvičs thanked Pistorius for the planned increase in the presence of German armed forces in the Baltic countries and confirmed Latvia’s readiness to rotate German combat aircraft to Lielvārde in 2024.

https://t.me/moscowtimes_ru/15928

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 4:43:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 4:47:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 4:58:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 5:22:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:

When Barbarossa kicked off, any Eastern European in territory occupied by the Soviets had a choice between remaining with one evil or jumping over to another. How they chose was very difficult, and it's not the sort of choice many in the modern world have had to make. There had also already been twenty years of ugliness in that part of the world before the Germans rolled in. Overall, the subject of a lot of the ~ collaborationist formations is a complicated one. In terms of the modern rhetoric surrounding those formations, it's important to note that the meaning of symbols and historical figures can evolve over time, and it's also really, really important to take note of the narrative the Russians deliberately crafted post-WW2.

Post-WW2, the Russians promoted a narrative in which they were the ultimate victims of Nazism who were simultaneously the least likely to collaborate. So, they portrayed themselves as being the ultimate victims and the ultimate heroes. Of course, both of those narratives are total bullshit. The Russians did not suffer uniquely, and most Soviet peoples collaborated at similar rates, with the Belarusians collaborating a bit less and the Volksdeutchse collaborating more (for obvious reasons). Nevertheless, lots of people within the Soviet sphere of influence have been socialized with the anti-Russian centric version of Nazi ideology. So, the occasional use of Nazi symbols by Ukrainians and other Eastern Europeans fighting for Ukraine shouldn't really come as a surprise.
View Quote

Convenient. Stalin formed a pack with Hitler, Hitler betrayed them.

No nation suffered more than Russia in WW2, IMO they deserved to suffer.

If any Ukrainian branch displays a Swatika, I consider it an effu to Russian sensibilities. It is counterproductive, and raises your opponents ire and cements their opposition. It's like everyone on your team giving the finger to the opposing team before the game starts. It may feel good, but you just guaranteed their best possible effort in the coming competition.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 5:46:34 AM EDT
[#35]
“History may not repeat, but it often rhymes.”

What rhymes with “big fucking collapse of an empire?”

View Quote

If they are printing most of that money, they are in for some hard(er) times.

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 5:55:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By SuperSixOne:
View Quote

Turkey has one of the most strategic locations in the world, especially when you consider Russia's access to the wider world. It's every bit as important as the Rock of Gibraltar or the Suez Straights. The US knows this and Turkey knows this. Turkey uses its location for leverage against any criticisms.

How would you play your hand in international relations, knowing you can be a choke point for all commercial and military shipping? I don't like Turkey's government, their leadership or their spoiling attitude, but I do understand it.

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 6:04:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Alekhine raised an important topic: there is no point in creating new “reconnaissance and assault brigades”. Our reconnaissance and assaults are carried out by landing forces and special forces (GRU). There is also Storm. It's not about the divisions.

The point is, as Alekhine correctly noted, that people MUST BE PROVIDED!!! Modern warfare means well-trained and motivated soldiers and officers. We must train our fighters well and not waste them on assaults in a bare field.

Modern weapons have achieved such precision and lethality that it is impossible to overcome them with masses. Only intelligence and experience.

The Soviet idea that a soldier is a brick that the Soviet homeland molded from clay, and that you can stick as many of these bricks as you like, has not worked for a long time.

As long as the personnel units are combat-ready, they can effectively defend and advance; as soon as the ideologically solid core of experienced sergeants-officers wears down, the degradation of the unit begins.

Our military officials are haunted by the idea that it is possible to come up with some new unit of people who, simply due to their name, will take oporniks and cities without artillery preparation in successful meat assaults.

Theoretically, it is probably possible to mobilize 2-3 million people into the army and, by pouring in en masse with huge losses, achieve results, but for a war in this way there are neither political nor industrial possibilities.

But what the army really needs to win is satellites, communications, precision ammunition, drones and well-functioning inter-branch interaction between troops.

ZHIVOVZ

https://t.me/zhivoff/11092

The same SpN, but side view?

The Ministry of Defense decided to create reconnaissance and assault brigades. Based on the experience of the Northern Military District, the department decided that such special forces were needed. The tasks of the new brigades are reconnaissance and assault. According to the generals' plan, the brigades will include reconnaissance units capable of conducting reconnaissance behind enemy lines, as well as assault units capable of breaking through the enemy's layered defenses. The new units will receive all the weapons necessary for this, including heavy and light armored vehicles, artillery, etc. Reconnaissance will be equipped with drones of various types.

Do you want this in other words?

In the Ministry of Defense, and maybe even higher, someone remembered that the RF Armed Forces have their own special forces, and there are also air assault brigades, but as it turned out, almost all of them during the Northern Military District were used very stupidly by army commanders and districts - like ordinary infantry, which is why they were drawn down, mobilized ones were brought there, for the selection and training of whom no resources were allocated, that is, the elite units turned into ordinary infantry. But in order not to talk about it, just as not to report to the President, they decided not to restore what they themselves had broken, but to create supposedly new ones.

We have separate special forces brigades, we have landing forces, like everything else, so there’s no point in creating jobs for mediocre colonels and generals. You just put in charge of what are normal generals and colonels with balls (sorry), so that they can make decisions and be responsible for them and with their heads, so that they can create cunning moves, maneuvers, strategies. Bring back General Popov, assign him a Warrior, gather a few more colonels who know how to fight in one army, assign them a goal, provide them with a resource and give them the right to decide for themselves how they will achieve this goal and you will see the birth of new Suvorovs. Yes, be sure to mentally prepare yourself that you will not be able to communicate with them, as some district and general staff officers today communicate with combat officers, but let this be the moral price of victory for big shoulder straps.

It’s time for officials, including those in uniform, to understand that not only equipment should be emphasized, but that the main resource should go to the person and the commander. Without competent commanders at the head of units, without personnel with high morale and discipline, any equipment will work ineffectively. Put competent commanders at the head of the Special Forces and there will be no need to create new units.

Although, the new unit is not only fighters and military officers, but also a lot of positions for wives, mistresses, sisters, brothers and children... And in our management system this must also be taken into account.

https://t.me/Alekhin_Telega/8074

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 6:10:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 6:15:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By iggy1337:
Stupid side question:
What is the official Russian version of the cause that brought down Prigozin’s plane?
View Quote

The investigation is ongoing

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 6:28:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HIPPO] [#40]
The occupiers are trying to build a direct railway connection with Mariupol, Volnovakha, and Donetsk.

They began construction of a railway bridge near Granite across the Kalmius river.

If successful, this will allow connecting the existing branch Mariupol-Aslanovo-Kalchik-Volnovakha to Taganrog and Rostov-on-Don.

This idea could reduce dependence on the railway on the Crimean Bridge.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 6:44:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By SuperSixOne:
View Quote

Turkey is probably the most important partner in the region because of the Bosporus straights.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 7:46:39 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Okay, this guy is definitely a member here.

Pretty sure I've seen some questionable stuff from some WY tagged account, but the name is escaping me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By iggy1337:
Stupid side question:
What is the official Russian version of the cause that brought down Prigozin’s plane?

A missile from Chuck Norris' slingshot

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#46]
I look at things in Europe and I often think

If it weren't for Nukes the war and fighting would have expanded way beyond just Ukraine and Russia physically fighting each other.

World War I Redux
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 8:04:31 AM EDT
[#47]

Yes and I’m not aware that ISW has much influence on US policy. It is one of many war reporting organizations. Most people are looking at multiple sources and US govt should have 10x better intelligence. This is open source info fir media and civilians.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
Originally Posted By mcantu:
Wait, is this true about ISW?

I'm calling BS unless there's really solid proof. Anybody can go to their web page and find out about their leadership.

https://www.understandingwar.org/who-we-are
Our Board Members

General Jack Keane (US Army, Retired), Chairman, Institute for the Study of War; President, GSI, LLC

Dr. Kimberly Kagan, Founder & President, Institute for the Study of War

The Honorable Kelly Craft, Former US Ambassador to UN and Canada

Dr. William Kristol, Director, Defending Democracy Together

The Honorable Joseph I. Lieberman, Senior Counsel, Kasowitz Benson Torres & Friedman, LLP

Kevin Mandia, Chief Executive Officer & Board Director, Mandiant

Jack D. McCarthy, Jr., Senior Managing Director & Founder, A&M Capital

Bruce Mosler, Chairman, Global Brokerage, Cushman & Wakefield, Inc.

General David H. Petraeus (US Army, Retired), Partner, KKR and Chairman, KKR Global Institute

Dr. Warren Phillips, Lead Director, CACI International

Colonel William Roberti (US Army, Retired), Managing Director, Alvarez & Marsal

Hudson La Force, former Chief Executive Officer of W. R. Grace & Co

Our History

Dr. Kimberly Kagan founded ISW in May 2007, as U.S. forces undertook a daring new counterinsurgency strategy to reverse the grim security situation on the ground in Iraq . Frustrated with the prevailing lack of accurate information documenting developments on the ground in Iraq and the detrimental effect of biased reporting on policymakers, Dr. Kagan established ISW to provide real-time, independent, and open-source analysis of ongoing military operations and insurgent attacks in Iraq. General Jack Keane (U.S. Army, Ret.), the Chairman of ISW’s board, also played a central role in developing the intellectual foundation for this change of strategy in Iraq, and supported the formation of the Institute in 2007.

Dr. Kagan published her first Iraq Report in March 2007, introducing the Washington policy community to ISW’s flagship research product. Since its formation in 2007, the ISW Iraq Project has remained the premier source for unbiased analysis on the changing political and security dynamics affecting progress in Iraq.

Building upon the success of the Iraq Project, ISW launched the Afghanistan Project in April 2009 in response to growing demand to better understand the war in Afghanistan. Research from this project has focused on insurgent groups such as the Haqqani Network, political corruption, and coalition operations. In addition, ISW has used its unique access to military commanders to launch a Best Practices in Counterinsurgency series that aims to capture the most important lessons from today’s wars in order to speed the way in which these lessons are applied the formulation of new military strategy.

ISW has built a reputation for its accuracy and ability to translate complex military concepts and specialized information into formats accessible to a more general audience. In 2010 alone, ISW analysts and fellows spent more than forty weeks deployed to theater. ISW analysts deployed again in 2011, and Dr. Kagan spent over 200 days in 2010 and 2011 in Kabul . In July 2011, she was awarded the Department of Defense Civilian Service Award for her efforts.

In November 2011, ISW added to its Afghanistan and Iraq projects with the broader Middle East Security Project. This new research program will study the national security threats emerging from the Arabian Gulf and wider Arab World, identify ways the United States and Gulf States can check Iran’s growing influence and contain the threat posed by its nuclear ambitions, explain the shifting balance of power within the Middle East, and assess responses the United States and Arab states take to address these changes as they emerge. Leading up to this project launch, ISW began tracking the conflict in Libya in March 2011, publishing daily and weekly Libya updates and an in-depth look at the first six months of that conflict called the Libyan Revolution.

It's fair to trash them for being DC Establishment people, but I don't see a Nuland connection, and I'm not convinced that would mean anything even if it existed. The whole "Nuland overthrew the elected government of Ukraine!" is a Russian talking point.

Yes and I’m not aware that ISW has much influence on US policy. It is one of many war reporting organizations. Most people are looking at multiple sources and US govt should have 10x better intelligence. This is open source info fir media and civilians.

Yeah, I'm with Prime on the "meh" with all this.  If their reports were consistently wrong they wouldn't be making money for their services, plus their analysis is almost identical to the European think tank pay service I post here occasionally, Malcontent News.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 8:05:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

Pretty sure I've seen some questionable stuff from some WY tagged account, but the name is escaping me.
View All Quotes

You know it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:

I'm not super educated about the 1st Galician, but I do know that the Baltic SS units were not cut from the same cloth as the Nazis and they solely fought against the Bolsheviks. The US government after the war also ruled that the Baltic SS units were not equivalent in constitution and ideology to their German counterparts, and they partook in guarding the Nuremberg trials. Overall, they had valid reasons for taking up arms in the SS in terms of preserving their homelands in the face of Bolshevism and Russian imperialism. I'm sure a similar dynamic was significantly at play in terms of the 1st Galician.

Ultimately, I just can't find myself inclined to care about the fact that some Ukrainians idolize the UPA and 1st Galician. The Ukrainians aren't invading sovereign states on the basis of irredentism, they aren't throwing people in camps, they aren't torturing prisoners and raping women as a matter of policy, etc. One party in this conflict is behaving like the Nazis, and it's not the Ukrainians.
View Quote

Good historical perspective. Ukraine in 1941-45 needs to be judged with the circumstances and facts of 1941-45 and NOT 2023. I cannot think of too many nations that were squeaky clean in WWII and to pick one country to condemn while others were doing the same or worse is dishonest.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Message sent
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4929 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top