Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy a NG powered unit.

There seems to be a prevailing attitude among many here that "I dont want to mess with storing *insert fuel here*"  

If you are concerned with losing utility power, you should also be concerned with losing natural gas service.  The big Texas freeze should have taught everyone this lesson.  Currently Iowa/South Dakota/Minnesota/Nebraska are experiencing record flooding, and guess what?  Natural gas lines have been destroyed, with repair estimates being 30 days or more.

If you dont have the fuel sitting on your propery, you are at risk of not have backup power available when you need it.  Let us not forget, the .gov will turn off your gas too if you are deemed unworthy.

Also, invest in some solar, wind, or hydro.  It's not just for hippies, it's an FU to the people who try to control you.
View Quote

Agree with this but would add having a NG powered Genny is Ok IF you also have a gasoline/propane generator as a backup with stored fuel.

NG will allow you to not consume your on property fuel as long as it is still on.   Basically gives you more options.  But having a backup to NG is required or you're setting yourself up for failure IMO.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I use non ethanol fuel in mine.  I do not leave gas in it.  I rotate gas out of the 5  5 gallon gas cans.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:42:54 PM EDT
[#3]
+ propane and NG does not produce the wattage that gasoline does
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Agree with this but would add having a NG powered Genny is Ok IF you also have a gasoline/propane generator as a backup with stored fuel.

NG will allow you to not consume your on property fuel as long as it is still on.   Basically gives you more options.  But having a backup to NG is required or you're setting yourself up for failure IMO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There seems to be a prevailing attitude among many here that "I dont want to mess with storing *insert fuel here*"  

If you are concerned with losing utility power, you should also be concerned with losing natural gas service.  The big Texas freeze should have taught everyone this lesson.  Currently Iowa/South Dakota/Minnesota/Nebraska are experiencing record flooding, and guess what?  Natural gas lines have been destroyed, with repair estimates being 30 days or more.

If you dont have the fuel sitting on your propery, you are at risk of not have backup power available when you need it.  Let us not forget, the .gov will turn off your gas too if you are deemed unworthy.

Also, invest in some solar, wind, or hydro.  It's not just for hippies, it's an FU to the people who try to control you.

Totally agree.  Energy diversity is the best strategy.  We are split between gas, diesel, and solar.

Many around here can only afford one and should plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dual fuel, (propane gasoline) master race checking in.
View Quote

That's what we did for a couple reasons.  Our house was all Electric, but I had installed a propane tank on the property and ran propane for cooking as she refused to cook on Electric.  Then we ended up adding an On Demand water heater because Electric sucks.  Added the Generator a few years later, which resulted in an upgrade of the tank size.  I was happy with the setup.

Then Dorothy, Toto, and the Wicked Witch took a ride through.  When we rebuilt, we got a larger tank and switched the heat to Propane as well and also added a fireplace, which I always make sure we have wood for.  That was something she'd wanted for a while and right before the Tornado, we had started looking at some nice wood stoves, install costs, etc.. and we also definitely reinstalled the generator.  We don't have it set to run the whole house as it doesn't seem necessary.  It runs to a subpanel which basically provides power to the refrigerator and freezer, a few lights and the furnace/ac.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:51:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Always wanted to make a Multi fuel generator from a M35A2 truck engine - run on waste motor oil diesel, gas, etc you can find easily and store for long.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tend to agree. Pretty much how to set it up.  NG whole house for almost 20 years. Zero issues. Seamless, outages are hardly recognized. Yearly PM has been the extent.

Florida and elsewhere I handle a bit differently. Florida, plan is unass (Ian proved me right) but I do have Multifuel. Elsewhere Micro-hydro/Solar/Gen system w provisions to ensure there's always a propane reserve. Grid power to GHP normally, emergency heat but when there winter lots of wood heating.

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#8]
DF master race here... Propane tank buried and topped off
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#9]
MEP 803A here, and I am in total agreement.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#10]
A 2000 gallon propane tank is kinda big though.

2000 gallon tank
80% 1600 gallons
36.38 cu ft / gallon
58,208 cu ft in 1600 gallons

Kohler 48RCLC
329 cu ft / hour at 100% use
176.9 hours

168 hours in 1 week
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It is stupid, because you get addicted quickly.  One magically turns into five.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/130046/20230729_162353-2946093.jpg

These things are awesome if you can handle the weight of the machines.
View Quote

Huh, didn't expect the camo pattern to match so perfectly. I suppose I don't know why it wouldn't. But I'm surprised it's so close.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
present...
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I  need a mep 30 or 60 with a A panel or a SDC
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's a cool idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the generac 22s and 24s i've been installing have a switch to throw to convert from NG to propane, couldn't be simpler

i don't see why you couldn't put in a manifold where you could switch to propane if your NG supply was cut off

close NG valve, open propane valve, throw conversion switch and voila, back in business

unless there's some electronic fuckery that i don't know about involved, that is

That's a cool idea.

That was what I was wondering as soon as I opened the thread.  I want a Generac or Kohler but have a small lot and not a lot of space for the propane or genny.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Get one that runs on electricity

View Quote

username fits
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Regular reminder to myself that I still don't have a 220 generator to power my well pump.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Regular reminder to myself that I still don't have a 220 generator to power my well pump.
View Quote

get a 120v submersible, yes, that's a thing now
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#19]
While browising this thread my power went out.  
Estmated restore time is four hours.
Thanks TECo.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Nevermind

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A 2000 gallon propane tank is kinda big though.

2000 gallon tank
80% 1600 gallons
36.38 cu ft / gallon
58,208 cu ft in 1600 gallons

Kohler 48RCLC
329 cu ft / hour at 100% use
176.9 hours

168 hours in 1 week
View Quote
Dats a lot of genny.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm definitely a fan of owning your own generation and production. It's far cheaper than it used to be.

It will be interesting to see how panel and battery prices are affected by the new tariffs.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably can't touch what we currently have for flow and pressure though.  And it would be an excuse to get one that can power the A/C.  Cause I don't want to hear about it not running.  Less stress to load up on 5 gallon cans.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Good thread.

I currently have a Kohler 14K home unit on propane with tanks on site (home heat is also propane.)
Backup is a Honda 2200i with 15 gallons of (rotated) gas for when things get really spicy.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I do not need it, but have seen it. Diesel and propane generators in a large scale application work. They deliver the goods when needed. The fuel can be stored on site and be refilled with today's equipment. It is not rocket science. Big truck shows up and delivers fuel to power a generator that powers YOU.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:13:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:21:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Backup home generator and a 500 gallon propane tank seems like a good option.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:24:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Maybe but never lost gas in any event.  Other shit?  Yes.  Built thousands of cell sites and NG was great during the  hurricanes or more so after.  They don't shut it off and getting fuel to many locations is a PITA.  Especially when everyone wants it and getting places is a bitch.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Diesel master race here…
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ehem, TRI fuel master race checking in.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 12:12:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Diesel is the way.

It's widely available. Easily transported. Easily stored. Highest energy density.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 12:29:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You are not my regulator.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2024 12:36:41 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a Honda dual fuel eu2200i.
Thats it.
Will keep some lights on and a small shaker ac.
Think RV and camping.
I have 4 20# propane tanks for grilling and genny.
I have some gas in the vehicles I can use.

Ideal would be large propane tank on property for instant water heating and cooking and overnight power generation.
Daily need would hopefully come from solar.
Nice to have batteries but they wont last forever.

I would expect to pare down a lot of my electric usage to bare minimum.
I wouldnt be able to feed it for long. Certainly not months.

How long does anyone think they can get fuel.
Maybe a gassifier generator. Does that exist.

If you just want to bridge a major but not SHTF outage a whole house dual fuel generator running on propane and NG would be decent.
Hell after hurricane ian when the causeway was out and the only way to get supplies via barge, the Sanibel island gov was able to get propane supply trucks out to fill up tanks of homeowners.
I was suprised by that.  
Everything else seems like the tomb scene from ROTLA when the torch was burning out.

Link Posted: 6/28/2024 12:42:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

this

* didnt quote all, 1000 gallon propane tank feeding only generator and cooking stove in house
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tri fuel checking in.

NG, propane, gasoline.

Not a standby generator, but also far more efficient. Whole home standby generators are not the best option unless you only care about short term outages.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 10:20:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Trailer details?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This plus 1000 gallons of propane in the ground. I’m ready. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/99132/IMG_0099_jpeg-3251951.JPG

Trailer details?

Pretty sure that it's illegal to pull that much fuel on the road without a hazmat CDL.  I think 100 gallons is the max.

ETA: At the very least, needs more placarding.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are risks with every type of fuel.

I converted my Predator 3500 to tri fuel about 5 or so years ago, so it runs on NG, Propane, & Gasoline.  I have only used NG with it since then.  We have about 2 outages a year, and NG has never gone off line.  I am very comfortable with NG, but also have a Pulsar 4Kw dual fuel running in parallel on Propane whenever we lose power.  Two is One, One is None.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
We have natty gas. ONLY way to go for US. No flood issues or supply interruptions in fifteen years. The "freeze" you mentioned didn't phase us at all. Genny ran four days straight due to fallen trees/limbs.
View Quote

Only way to go?

What percentage of area (not population) of the US is actually served by Natural Gas lines?  Perhaps a few percent?

There are two choices to be self sufficient with fuel powered generators.

One is diesel, the second is Propane.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I small, old, noisy 240 generator is going to be a lot easier to wire in to the pump, instead of pulling a pump to drop in a temporary pump that runs on 120.  Probably less expensive if you buy used also.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Diesel is the way.

It's widely available. Easily transported. Easily stored. Highest energy density.
View Quote

easily confiscated as well.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This is why I also promote solar, wind, and hydro.  They want it for "muh climate change" but it is very practical for disaster prep and off grid living.  The .gov can't block the sun or wind yet.
View Quote

Gates is thinking about blocking the sun, though.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Here too, only way to go
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 3:20:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm not sure about DOT regs, especially dealing with personal use or farm use.  I'm sure there are lots of regs with commercial transport.
Reason I'm curious about it all is I'm looking at building a fuel trailer for my personal use, 50 gallon diesel tank and 50 gallon gasoline tank.  Sure beats 5 gallon cans, especially when filling up the tractor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure that it's illegal to pull that much fuel on the road without a hazmat CDL.  I think 100 gallons is the max.

ETA: At the very least, needs more placarding.

Yeah, I'm not sure about DOT regs, especially dealing with personal use or farm use.  I'm sure there are lots of regs with commercial transport.
Reason I'm curious about it all is I'm looking at building a fuel trailer for my personal use, 50 gallon diesel tank and 50 gallon gasoline tank.  Sure beats 5 gallon cans, especially when filling up the tractor.

I'm not sure either, but I do know that they can extract a lot of money from you.  It's worth looking into.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top