BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A Navy recruiter just showed up about a hour or so ago and asked about my son.

I bet it was the same one.
View Quote
Could be, your son is quite bright.

As people have asked about my daughters grades in HS. My daughter graduated co Salutatorian with a GPA in the 4.35 range. She is doing as well grade wise in college.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#2]
He's a recruiter and his lips are moving.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Recruiters are given goals. Maybe she fits exactly what they want so special effort is involved.

Oh, enlisting for a few years can give great benefits like GI and Montgomery bill benefits not to mention some very advanced training in the field of her choice. Beats the hell out of a 30 year student debt.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe since she hit 18, he is trying to hit on her.

Just sayin'

Is he a career recruiter or detailed?
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Bingo!
(Former Nuke)
Fuck that. I wouldn't mind my kids serving, but I'll be damned if I let them enlist.

If your ASVAB is above 90  the navy is looking for you to fill just a handful of jobs, and nukes is always the first option they will push people to.
View Quote
I took the ASVAB in school because it got me out of calculus and physics class that day (my retired military calculus teacher was pissed at me, as he expected I had no intention of joining the military).  As I planned to go to college for engineering, they pushed the nuke program hard after my results came in.  I remember getting calls the first summer after my freshman year with them asking how I liked school and if I was having any trouble paying for it.  The program actually sounded interesting, but I assumed I'd probably get put onto a submarine for extended periods of time, which didn't sound like much fun at 17.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Cut him some slack people, a recruiter is a salesman. He's selling a product.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's probably semi accurate.

I had no criminal record, scored in the 98th or 99th percentile with a 141 GT and they wouldn't leave me the fuck alone

Calls roughly 3-4x a week but they never came by the house.
View Quote
I did mine in 2002 right when graduating high school. The marine recruiter would sit in my parents driveway waiting for me. And we lived 30 min from the recruiting center. He must of been bored.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
He's a recruiter and his lips are moving.
View Quote
This made me laugh.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Navy recruiters are stupid. I missed 2 questions on the ASVAB and I had Navy recruiters still calling me when I was already an NCO in the Marines Corps.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They probably have quotas to meet.   Never trust them.

Let her get her degree and go in as an officer if she wants to.
View Quote
Probably?
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#11]
You really, really shouldn't let your daughters join the military unless you know exactly what goes on there.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Navy recruiters are stupid. I missed 2 questions on the ASVAB and I had Navy recruiters still calling me when I was already an NCO in the Marines Corps.
View Quote
Yeah well, I had an Army recruiter call me last week.

I am eligible to retire from the USMC in less than a year
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have no idea about quotas, but the bottom sentence is 100% correct.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idea about quotas, but the bottom sentence is 100% correct.
I dont know shit about the military and the bottom line seems the best way to go.

Life is better as an officer than being an enlisted. Granted. I have respect for both as they both did more than I did.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Chicks on subs - what could go wrong?
View Quote
We have nuclear aircraft carriers as well.

One of my nieces is a Nuke. She has about a year left on her commitment and she is going to the private sector with that skill set.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sixteen years USN here

Aceing the ASVAB could mean anything. I cut a 97. A 99 is the highest you can get from what i u derstand. They lobbied me for the nuke program. Of course I wanted to fly.

If she’s in college keep her there. The navy is having a huge retention problem now. They will throw BS at you and her. Life in the navy is hard by any standard. I’m deployed right now actually. Im very proud of my service and I love my navy but it isn’t easy.

If she wants to join the navy have her go in as an officer after college. Still hard but better pay and better quality of life, somewhat.
View Quote
You cut a 97, and decide to go enlisted Aircrew?  You must be a SAR swimmer...,
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Chicks on subs - what could go wrong?
View Quote
All carriers are Nuke as well....
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The only place left in the military worth being in is SOCOM.

And the one place where your daughter probably won't be getting in to.

No, no and no.

Only 1% of test takers get a 99
View Quote
Fudd alert...
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Navy needs Nukes....she is smart and meets the criteria. If she wants a $60k SRB and school payed for, you could do a lot worse than a 5 year tour in the Worlds finest Navy
View Quote
This.  I scored in the mid 90's and signed up to be a Nuke, however at MEPS I found I was Red/Green color blind..... guess what can't be a Nuke if you are color blind so I picked a different rate.  My recruiter was devastated since quota wise nukes count heavily.  Probably better off since I didn't want to live in the bowels of an aircraft carrier anyhow.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I was told I did better on the asvab than anyone they'd ever seen.  I can imagine everyone else was told that, too.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Navy needs Nukes....she is smart and meets the criteria. If she wants a $60k SRB and school payed for, you could do a lot worse than a 5 year tour in the Worlds finest Navy
View Quote
If you want her to be miserable, by all means, send her through the nuke program. Who doesn't want to be on a carrier, amirite? Then she'll be a licensed reactor operator and can work anywhere there's a nuclear power plant. Now google map all of the nuke plants in the US, and see if she'd want to live any of those places. The fun thing about nukes is that even on their shore duty rotations, they still do nuke shit. They very rarely get a break from it.

I work in IT, and know a ton of former nukes. If she didn't already have college going for her, then Navy nuke or Navy IT programs are fine. I did advanced electronics field, got out, earned a degree by going to night school for 7 years. Hindsight being 20/20, I'd have figured out a way to do college first.

Stay in college. She can always serve later.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So apparently Army and Navy recruiters receive the same training!
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#23]
i aced version 20b 26 years ago. 99.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you want her to be miserable, by all means, send her through the nuke program. Who doesn't want to be on a carrier, amirite? Then she'll be a licensed reactor operator and can work anywhere there's a nuclear power plant. Now google map all of the nuke plants in the US, and see if she'd want to live any of those places. The fun thing about nukes is that even on their shore duty rotations, they still do nuke shit. They very rarely get a break from it.

I work in IT, and know a ton of former nukes. If she didn't already have college going for her, then Navy nuke or Navy IT programs are fine. I did advanced electronics field, got out, earned a degree by going to night school for 7 years. Hindsight being 20/20, I'd have figured out a way to do college first.

Stay in college. She can always serve later.
View Quote
It’s 4 years.....not a career.  See the world, get over $100k for college, plus full health care and $500k in life insurance. Yeah, that sounds miserable
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
CSB...but true.

Went to an AF recruiter at 26. The district manager was there. After being very honest about my past, the DM told me, "You will never serve in my United States Air Force".

Took the tests, and did score mid/high 90s across the board.

Air Force had a very sudden and earnest change of heart. I got a "moral waiver" (seriously) and some corrective counseling on my defective memory. Should have sent up a red flag, but I was young(ish) and enthusiastic.

Interestingly, the Marine recruiter told me, "We don't give a flying f**k what you've done, sign this paper and we'll have you at Parris Island next week."
View Quote
I had a youthful indiscretion, and the Marines required a waiver from the Commandant, which wasn't happening. This was Summer of '83. Air Force called the day after I got back from MEPS and started my 361 days of delayed entry so I could finish high school. I did have to be interviewed by a Lt Cdr (O-4) about my indiscretion to get my waiver for the Navy.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#26]
If this is something she wants to pursue, tell her to ask about NUPOC (if that's not what they are already after).  If the recruiter was at all truthful about her score, they probably want to make her a nuke.  Enlisting as such would be dumb IMO since she's already in school, unless she literally can't graduate.  NUPOC will pay her as an E-something for 30 months prior to graduating along with a bonus.  IIRC it was E4 with a 15k bonus when I was looking into it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I was a recruiter for 3 years. Unusual for someone to get a 99 AFQT (if that’s what she got).

That is except for how nearly every arfcommer says they did when they took the asvab

Recruiters normally have lists of the current high school seniors and the previous 2 years of grads.

It’s their job to contact every single one of those people on the list to determine if they are eligible or not to join and to see if they are interested to set an appointment to discuss joining.

If they cannot contact them by phone or other means, they will sometimes go knock on their door.  That’s their job.

Recruiter probably getting his balls beat for never contacting an asvab qualified person on one of his lists so he came and knocked on your door.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Same here back in the '90s. WOULD NOT STOP. I finally explained to them that I'd love to serve my country but I am nearsighted with astigmatism and I have asthma, all true. Then they left me alone.
View Quote
That's silly, both of those are potential waivers.   Hell, I have asthma and practically a white cane with a red tip.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#29]
So a sailor showed up at your door looking for your daughter???
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#30]
One thing I've noticed in this thread is that everyone here aced the ASVAB.

I don't think I even knew what I scored.  I walked in the Marine recruiting office and told them I wanted to be infantry, like my dad and my granddad.  That was before my senior year in high school.

The next summer after graduation, I left for boot camp.  Almost 30 years later, I'm still proud of my service and happy with my choices.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I was a recruiter for 3 years. Unusual for someone to get a 99 AFQT (if that’s what she got).

That is except for how nearly every arfcommer says they did when they took the asvab

Recruiters normally have lists of the current high school seniors and the previous 2 years of grads.

It’s their job to contact every single one of those people on the list to determine if they are eligible or not to join and to see if they are interested to set an appointment to discuss joining.

If they cannot contact them by phone or other means, they will sometimes go knock on their door.  That’s their job.

Recruiter probably getting his balls beat for never contacting an asvab qualified person on one of his lists so he came and knocked on your door.
View Quote
Some of us did

Attachment Attached File

They should just rename the test to the "did you pay attention in high school" test. It doesn't mean much more than that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
She just graduated high school last year and is in her first year of college. The recruiter told my wife that my daughter almost aced the ASFAB which they said was "unusual". So the question is, is it unusual? Or are they feeding us a line of BS? I was never in the service, but I have heard the recruiter stories of promising more than what will happen.
View Quote
air force !!! I am ex army, and I am very happy my daughter went AF.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's BS, ASVAB is a joke.
View Quote
Yes, it is....but that doesn't mean a high score isn't unusual.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Bingo.
You can do a hell of a lot worse than getting almost all your main courses for a degree in nuclear engineering and 4.5 years of Job experience while getting paid.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I scored high 90s on the ASVAB with little effort. Got a 6465 MOS for it and I'll be the first to tell ya my intelligence is questionable at best most days.
View Quote
@MNGuns
CAS bench?
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#37]
I scored in the top percentile, even knowing I had an Army ROTC four-year scholarship, the local Army recruiter kept calling me each year for several years.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Ask her what she wants. Let her choose what she wants.

She seems to be a smart girl, so there is no wrong answer.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Hey OP, have you been working out? How do you stay so youthful looking? I’d have never guessed you have a daughter that old...

I’ve got some term life insurance here I think you could really benefit from!

They’re car salesman and that was some butter. The ASVAB is the first in a line of filters to weed out the big rocks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It's the navy. It could be worse it could be the Marines
View Quote
She scored too high for them.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Above is the complete answer you seek.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll be the first to admit in this whole forum that I didn't score a 90+ on the ASVAB.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:11:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
BS, if she is doing well in college and having a good time then she needs to stay there IMO.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'll be the first to admit in this whole forum that I didn't score a 90+ on my ASVAB.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#46]
I forget what my score was but my recruiter kept telling me it was so high I could do anything I wanted in the Navy........ as long as it was the nuclear program.
He was selling it hard like a desperate used car salesmen.

I enrolled in college instead.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'll be the first to admit in this whole forum that I didn't score a 90+ on the ASVAB.
View Quote
Utah...make it two!
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.  And from what I’ve seen, that goes double for the Navy - officers are treated way better than enlisted.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#49]
High scorers qualify for hard-to-fill fields like nuke and crypto.

If she's in the high 90s then she can do anything.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
She just graduated high school last year and is in her first year of college. The recruiter told my wife that my daughter almost aced the ASFAB which they said was "unusual". So the question is, is it unusual? Or are they feeding us a line of BS? I was never in the service, but I have heard the recruiter stories of promising more than what will happen.
View Quote
I scored a 97% when I took it for the Army. Sounds like they stopped by to tell her how great she is and how a career in the Navy might be a good option for her. It’s just a follow up visit, the recruiter had her scores not long after she took the test.
Page / 6
Top Top