Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/22/2024 9:07:08 PM EDT
In your opinion, what will the govt. do to cover the shortfall?
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Tax paychecks more…
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#3]
They'll just make us greedy, wealthy savers exhaust our retirement accounts before we can collect full SS. Fixed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They'll just make us greedy, wealthy savers exhaust our retirement accounts before we can collect full SS. Fixed.
View Quote

Yep. Means test.
Maybe with a side of removing the contribution cap while maintaining the payout cap.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#5]
1st  Raise the cap
2nd Means test
3rd Lower benefits
4th System implodes anyway
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Social Security runs out of money?

It never had the money to begin with.  It's always been a pay-as-you-go program.  Raise taxes or make cuts.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#7]
You ain't even scratching the surface of 2030, pal, much less 2035. I hope you've brushed on crops that can endure in a nuclear wasteland. Shit's gonna get wild, and you normies best start hoarding sample bottles of shampoo if you want to get laid past those years. Hear me?
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#8]
They are going to do what they have been doing all along... print more money.

That's why FDR went off the gold standard (1933) first, before social security was created (1935).... you can promise benefits and print the money to cover it.

Social Security was not always a pay as you go system, but the main goal seems to be to keep people dependent on DC.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Introduce Covid 2025 to kill off the 65plus population
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Late to the party, but what they will do, and what they want do are two different things. They will raise taxes. What they should do is stop raping the SS fund. I'm younger (38) and could easily pay myself multiples of what the program would pay me if I invested my own money.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's been 10+ years since I ran through the math, but I believe Social Security is a progressive tax.

I seem to recall that the tax vs payout ratio doesn't favor the right-most of the x-axis.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#13]
They will devalue the currency until the liability is manageable.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Well shit.  That’s when I can collect.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:23:11 PM EDT
[#15]

They will do nothing.  Except try to keep the music playing long enough to enrich themselves, retire and let some one else deal with it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:24:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I really think that digital currency is the next great step. They'll find a reason to make the printed/minted dollar obsolete and replace it withe the digital dollar. Along with that will come value balancing. Taxes will go up and benefits will go down. That is, unless something really bad derails it. But if does happen, that first Mt Gox style hack will be epic.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
1st  Raise the cap
2nd Means test
3rd Lower benefits
View Quote

Contribution is capped at around 10K a year right now.  They'll increase that so the rich can pair their "fair share".  Means testing also.  If you have millions in retirement you won't be getting your SS back.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
1st  Raise the cap
2nd Means test
3rd Lower benefits
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:25:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Social security will fix itself.  The younger generations won't file because they don't want to steal from their kids like the boomers did.

Once everyone stops collecting, the government will stop taking it out of our paychecks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They will devalue the currency until the liability is manageable.
View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Social Security is the only thing working Americans get for a life time of taxes. THE ONLY THING. So I don’t care what they have to do to get my money, all my money, when it’s time for me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Stop giving money to every Tom, Dick and Harry Nation on Planet Earth…and instead spend that money on Americas who have actually earned it! Anything else is a phucking Marxist JOKE!
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#23]
By 2035 the boomer vote will have died off enough that the youngest voters will have whats left of them converted to Soylent.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:26:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Social security will fix itself.  The younger generations won't file because they don't want to steal from their kids like the boomers did.

Once everyone stops collecting, the government will stop taking it out of our paychecks.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#25]
In short, they will fuck the makers to take care of the takers.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Apothis his earth in 2029. Problem over
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:29:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Federalize all 401K, pensions, savings, checking accounts.

Institute a federal sales tax.

More mandatory jabs to increase likelihood of the older crowd most likely to not be contributors to experience suddenly.

Dissolution of border except for tighter controls on producers trying to leave & take wealth out of the country.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Print more money to fill the "lockbox" that is the general funds...
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL, yeah right.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:38:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Something Else: Covid34 and force all old people into homes even if they aren't already in an old person home.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:40:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Give me everything I’ve already paid in and put it in an investment account. After that stop taxing me for this BS.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:42:02 PM EDT
[#33]
social Security is not the problem people make it out to be:

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=251351
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Where there is a will, there is a way. Social Security will continue, no matter what. Retired people make up a huge voting block.  Politicians don't want to piss off elderly people who will vote them out of office.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#35]
2035? Lol. Wait for the new crop of immigrants to learn the SS disability game from the current lower class. SS disability makes food stamp fraud look like stealing from the take a penny jar.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Where there is a will, there is a way. Social Security will continue, no matter what. Retired people make up a huge voting block.  Politicians don't want to piss off elderly people who will vote them out of office.
View Quote

I agree, it will continue.  My question: How?
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Social Security is the only thing working Americans get for a life time of taxes. THE ONLY THING. So I don’t care what they have to do to get my money, all my money, when it’s time for me.
View Quote

Including stealing from your kids?
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I vote they removed the annual cap.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#40]
They should just scrap the whole program.

Didn't raise enough productive children to take care of you in old age? Didn't save enough for a retirement home? Well, make your way to the homeless shelter, I guess.

Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#41]
The screwup, other than starting SS to begin with, was allowing non-contributors to access the benefits. And the govt using it as part of their ‘general fund’. The same money taken in for almost 90 years, if controlled by actual financial experts, would have money flowing for decades into the future. If a private institution, acting as a fiduciary, had allowed SS to be on the condition it’s in today, would be heading to prison like Sam Brinkman-Fried.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Something Else: Covid34 and force all old people into homes even if they aren't already in an old person home.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I agree, it will continue.  My question: How?
View Quote

It will continue the same way it started.  Poorly.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:51:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Yet welfare has no shortage. There is plenty of money to pass on student loan debt to hardworking Americans and buy billions of dollars of high speed union jobs programs.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Combo, and push back retirement age again.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
In your opinion, what will the govt. do to cover the shortfall?
View Quote

Probably the same as they already do to cover the shortfall in federal employee pensions.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
By 2035 the boomer vote will have died off enough that the youngest voters will have whats left of them converted to Soylent.
View Quote

Many of us boomers will hang on just to watch you guys work.

My how time flies. I didn’t realize it was time for another bash boomers thread.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The screwup, other than starting SS to begin with, was allowing non-contributors to access the benefits. And the govt using it as part of their ‘general fund’. The same money taken in for almost 90 years, if controlled by actual financial experts, would have money flowing for decades into the future. If a private institution, acting as a fiduciary, had allowed SS to be on the condition it’s in today, would be heading to prison like Sam Brinkman-Fried.
View Quote

I agree.  I have a pension.  It's been around for about 75 years.  Last time I checked it was 95% fully funded, which is remarkable.  The reason it's still around delivering good benefits is that it's run like an actual investment, by professionals, and not like a welfare program designed to buy votes from grifters.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#49]
When is welfare going to run out of money
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who are these non-contributors you are talking about? Other than spouses, dependent children and in some rare cases other dependents, you had to have paid into the system for 40 quarters.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top