Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By insider:
Get ready for the government bailouts when all those companies go bankrupt!
Tesla's charging stations are a joke! Every one of them is connected to a diesel/nat gas backup generator!
View Quote

Originally Posted By Steamedliver:

Just two more weeks, right?
View Quote

WTF is that supposed to mean?
View Quote

How long have you been saying that Tesla is is scam is will be bankrupt?
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Honda And Acura To Follow GM And Adopt Tesla's NACS

"Honda and its luxury Acura brand will adopt Tesla's North American Charging Standard (NACS) charging connector in North America.

According to Autoblog, American Honda Motor Co. President and CEO Noriya Kaihara confirmed in a recent interview that the company will join the NACS coalition: "It is quite important. We also have to push NACS, as well. It is clear."

It's not clear when the first Honda and Acura all-electric models will get NACS charging inlets (other manufacturers are targeting 2025).

The Japanese company noted that a lot depends on General Motors, as the first two all-electric Honda and Acura models are based on GM's Ultium platform and will be produced at GM's plants."
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Ford CEO Jim Farley shares insights on Tesla NACS adoption and EV transition

"Farley also spoke at length about how Ford came to its decision to adopt Tesla’s North American Charging Standard (NACS). Ford’s support for the NACS practically opened the floodgates to the charging standard’s mainstream adoption. After Ford, after all, fellow carmakers such as GM announced their support for the NACS as well.

The CEO noted that Ford’s decision to adopt the NACS was a long time coming, and it also involved the automaker admitting that Tesla’s charging standard was superior. Farley also stated that eventually, adopting the NACS was a no-brainer.

“When Doug Fields came to the company a year and a half ago, we started having this debate about the plug itself, whether this committee design plug is competitive with the Tesla plug. We all started having plug failures and we’ll run them over and they’re broken and all sorts of stuff happen. And it became really clear to all of us as leaders that’s (NACS) a better solution. It was engineered better. I hate to say it, but it was.

“So then, we started talking to Tesla because we thought it’d be good for them and the industry and that kind of stopped a couple years, maybe a year and a half ago. And then, it got started up when IRA got passed because I think Tesla would get money from the federal government to expand the Supercharger Network if it was a standard. And at the same time, we became number two in EV sales in the US, so we started talking really seriously for a while… It was a no-brainer for us,” Farley said."
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mousehunter:
Did more research.  Tesla starting to open up it's network with Magic Box showed a few flaws in the system.  First off, charging port location is not a standard (yet).  Of the vehicles in the test, I don't think any could easily use it.  Some had to straddle parking spaces to get the Tesla cord to reach, other's had to park sideways.  Just changing to a universal plug is a start, but a universal charging port location needs to happen as well.  Of course this require you to disconnect and park a trailer elsewhere.  While not a major issue, DC charging voltage is also not a standard.  They pointed out that Fisker used a higher DC charging voltage - so the Tesla chargers would not supply the Fiskers EV at its full recharge rate (apparently even if the watts were available), but that issue was fairly limited to some high end niche EV's.  I would guess that the issue may repeat itself when Mega chargers start becoming available.  

A final issue was also mentioned.  To get the best price at a Tesla charging station, you need to be subscribed to their network (apparently  Electrify America, and EVGo
also require this).  I could not see where Tesla was charging Tesla drivers the new $12.99/month membership fee.  I don't see this going away just because you have a Tesla plug.  I could not see if Tesla charged Tesla owners and membership owners the same price/Kwh (where they can charge by Kwh - apparently some states only allow utility companies to bill by Kwh - probably a old law protecting RV and mobile home people from being charged off unregulated meters).
View Quote

So you pay a subscription fee plus per KW, what a cluster fuck.  Can you imagine the liberal wailing if Exxon or Shell started charging different prices depending if you joined their subscription service?

My bet this practice wont last long....remember when some states started requiring Wholesale clubs to let anyone use their gas stations?  

https://www.nj.com/politics/2022/09/nj-could-force-costco-to-once-again-sell-gas-to-everyone-not-just-members.html
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#5]
It’s estimated Tesla can make 25 billion a year by opening up its charging network. Holy cow, does this sound right?
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:31:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#6]
Originally Posted By JamPo:
It’s estimated Tesla can make 25 billion a year by opening up its charging network. Holy cow, does this sound right?
View Quote

Tesla set to access up to $20B in revenues from Supercharger deals, Dan Ives says

"The adoption of NACS is set to bring Tesla major revenue increases through the rest of the decade, according to Wedbush’s Dan Ives, who is a top analyst covering the automaker and the sector as a whole.

Ives wrote in a note this morning to investors:

“To dive deeper into this sum-of-the-parts valuation, we modeled & projected out Tesla’s supercharger network, taking into account access & revenues from other OEMs using stations across the United States. Ultimately, we estimate that Tesla’s supercharger business will be roughly 3%-6% of total revenues, translating to a $10 billion – $20 billion business by 2030.”

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 3:44:58 AM EDT
[#7]
revenue is almost an irrelevant number.  Or relevant only to the extent that a profit margin can be applied to it.  IIRC, the NACS is available to the public - I don't think Tesla has any inherent profit from the plug.  Tesla owns most of their superchargers - so there is no profit of selling them.  Tesla pays for their install and for the electricity they use.  So their revenue is the sale of electricity, their profit is the mark up on that - less the costs associated with building and maintaining their network.  Sure there is markup on the electricity - but there is also a lot of infrastructure costs too.

Now in all fairness - I bet few businesses turn down the loss of a couple out of the way parking spaces when the lure of having a new set of customers that will have time to burn shopping and eating is dangled in front of them.  Tesla on the other hand can pick and choose locations that it hopes will get the most traffic - and while I am sure they do a lot of market research first when choosing locations - they are also getting a lot of data that will help them find prime locations in the future.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:24:25 AM EDT
[#8]
revenue is almost an irrelevant number.  Or relevant only to the extent that a profit margin can be applied to it.  IIRC, the NACS is available to the public - I don't think Tesla has any inherent profit from the plug.  Tesla owns most of their superchargers - so there is no profit of selling them.  Tesla pays for their install and for the electricity they use.  So their revenue is the sale of electricity, their profit is the mark up on that - less the costs associated with building and maintaining their network.  Sure there is markup on the electricity - but there is also a lot of infrastructure costs too.

Now in all fairness - I bet few businesses turn down the loss of a couple out of the way parking spaces when the lure of having a new set of customers that will have time to burn shopping and eating is dangled in front of them.  Tesla on the other hand can pick and choose locations that it hopes will get the most traffic - and while I am sure they do a lot of market research first when choosing locations - they are also getting a lot of data that will help them find prime locations in the future.
View Quote

The smallest Super Charger locations that I've seen have 8 Stalls. One location in Oregon has 51.

For what it's worth EA (Electrify America) was created out of the VW Diesel emission scandal with 2 Billion VW Dollars in 2016. They have to run this for a minimum of 10 years. At this point it's still not profitable. After 2026 it's unknown if the project will be scrapped, or profitable by then. From everything I've seem they have about 70% working chargers at any given time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:36:40 AM EDT
[#9]

WTF is that supposed to mean?
View Quote

@insider

People like you have been saying EV is doomed to fail since it's inception and y'all couldn't have been more wrong if you tried.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:40:06 AM EDT
[#10]

How long have you been saying that Tesla is is scam is will be bankrupt?
View Quote

@Steamedliver

Yep.  They've been on the same broken record since day one.   As a matter of fact, this move by all the other auto-makers has sealed EV's spot in all future automotive development.

That being said, I still prefer a hybrid vehicle set-up for my personal needs.  Good on those that can make good use of dedicated EVs.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:42:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By kc-coyote:

It is all about making money and controlling the market (including the charging market which is worth $$$), just like the cell phone makers did where you literally had to buy a new cable every time you bought a new phone.  If I recall I think Europe made a big stink about it and then they somewhat standardized, with Apple being too good to standardize like the rest.
View Quote
I don't think it's because Apple was too good. The iPhone design goals required a different connector. At the time, none existed so they made their own.

Lightening was a good connector. I don't know why Apple kept it proprietary. I can't imagine anyone, anywhere made the type of connector the main priority when buying a phone.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:10:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver] [#12]
Originally Posted By AEROMechanic:

@Steamedliver

Yep.  They've been on the same broken record since day one.   As a matter of fact, this move by all the other auto-makers has sealed EV's spot in all future automotive development.

That being said, I still prefer a hybrid vehicle set-up for my personal needs.  Good on those that can make good use of dedicated EVs.
View Quote

The way you worded that is perfect.  Hybrid works for you, great.  EV works for me and a 100% ICE works for my brother in law.  Fine,

Oil people and electric people dont seem to realize that there are way more similarities between the two than not.

Both have received and continue to receive massive government subsidies to continue operation.  Did ya think that the entire petroleum industry developed without government propping?

Both sectors import materials from countries that are openly hostile to us, and those countries have committed acts of war against us (recently).

We could be energy independent if we drilled for more oil OR had massive solar and wind generation in the USA.  Neither of those does ANYONE want to see in their area.  For the record, I have 2 oil operations close to me (one is 1000 yards away).  You do NOT want this in your neighborhood, forget about zoning.  I dont want a massive solar installation either, but I wont be able to hear it from 1000 yards away, so thats a positive.  I absolutely would not like a wind power generator close by.  However, despite all that, I still want power for my house (and car) and I want gasoline.  This is classic NIMBY for both sides.

On aspect of electric is that I can generate it at home if I need to, to charge a vehicle.  I can not realistically make diesel, gasoline or alcohol in quantity to power a vehicle.  I do have solar panels at the house, but not for these reasons.  Nor did I install them to be “green” or for saving money.

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#13]

@Steamedliver

View Quote

EVs are not the future.  Without subsidies and mandates I estimate that EV sales in the USA would not exceed 20% market share.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:24:55 AM EDT
[#14]
On aspect of electric is that I can generate it at home if I need to, to charge a vehicle.  I can not realistically make diesel, gasoline or alcohol in quantity to power a vehicle.  I do have solar panels at the house, but not for these reasons.  Nor did I install them to be “green” or for saving money.

View Quote

Your situation a small minority of all households.  There are many millions of households who cannot even charge at home.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:27:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Fuck all that EV shit. If you want an EV, cool. Buy one if you like. Some dickhead in .gov or another dickhead shouldn't decide for or force one on anyone else.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

I posted a link above where the revenue was forecast to be $10-20 billion over some period.   I don't know how that was derived but if accurate it is not trivial.

Perhaps there are royalty fees for using NACS hardware and maybe even the chargers.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

EVs are not the future.  Without subsidies and mandates I estimate that EV sales in the USA would not exceed 20% market share.
View Quote

@AmericanPeople

Oh I'm not saying EV would take over sales.  It's simply not possible for a myriad of reasons but 20% is a decent chunk.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#18]

@AmericanPeople

Oh I'm not saying EV would take over sales.  It's simply not possible for a myriad of reasons but 20% is a decent chunk.
View Quote

Yes it is.  I have no problems if it were 50% in a free market where people are not forced to buy it or federal and state subsidies are involved.

Recently I would have gladly accepted a free Toyota Sequoia EV but the current body style is queer...plus it is a hybrid.

I am 100% in favor of the NACS progress.  It makes sense and EV owners will benefit from this adoption of NACS.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

The entire oil and gas industry has been propped up by the government.  From the beginning and ongoing.  People get upset because their neighbor takes a $7500 credit, while the oil company takes billions.  Both of those made possible by the government.  

Of course the USA never fought wars over oil.  It was for WMDs.  Of course.   Could these wars have been a version of government interference to prop up oil?  Oh, you are only talking about subsidies to individuals not corporations or dead soldiers.

There are subsidies and mandates on both sides.  Oil has received a metric shit ton more only by the virtue it’s been around a lot longer.  It ain’t any different.

Your situation a small minority of all households.  There are many millions of households who cannot even charge at home.
View Quote

True.  I work really hard to have things work for me.  I put a lot of effort in making that happen.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:46:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#20]
I think it is highly likely that electric is the future.  But I don't know what that future will be.  Hybrids are the industry standard for trains already - it is much easier to sync the drive train of multiple traction engines.  I don't know if they are the standard in ships - but hybrids certainly exist in large ships as well.  Once you already are using a hybrid drive train - the real question is can you get battery tech to beat fuel tech for your source of stored power.  In time, it will probably happen.  Till then it will need a shitload of subsides or legal protection.

The only reason we don't have commercial nuke ships is they were blacklisted.  Several were made, but ports would not accept them, or if they did accept them it was only after a logistical nightmare.  At least in one case, the test ship simply was not an economical design (it was a blend of cargo and passenger - requiring way too much crew for the passengers, and the passenger area hurt it's cargo capacity.  That said, it is always possible if we ever do pursue micro reactors - nuke cargo ships could make a comeback.

The real problem with EV's now is cost and compromise.  They might be cheaper to operate 90% of the time-but they are expensive and they don't fill all the niches that people want a vehicle for.  The majority of single people don't want to own multiple vehicles - it is expensive.  That said, they could work for many households that would already have 2 cars - if the couple could share and use electric for commuting, and gas when it is advantageous, but they have to get the cost down to make them fully competitive.  I've been keeping track of battery prices for years (for solar) - the price has plummeted.  But even at the current price, it is still prohibitively expensive for most people's vehicles.  2 years ago, I think Musk was saying he was trying to get his batteries down to $33/kwh - If they could get there, then they would probably be able to make an affordable vehicle.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 12:14:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#21]
This article gives timing of the Honda adoption of NACS.

Honda adopts Tesla’s North American Charging Standard (NACS) for North America

"Honda’s first electric vehicle with a default NACS port is expected to be launched in 2025. From that point forward, Honda will be equipping its vehicles with NACS ports. Before 2025, Honda’s electric cars will still be fitted with a Combined Charging System (CCS) port, though the vehicles will still be designed to be compatible with Tesla Superchargers through the use of an adaptor.

With the agreement in place, Honda EV drivers could use Tesla Superchargers, which will significantly enhance the electric car ownership experience. With access to the Supercharger Network, customers of Honda’s electric cars should be able to go on long trips without any difficulties. Tesla’s Superchargers, after all, are among the most expansive and reliable DC fast-charging networks in the United States. "
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I think it is highly likely that electric is the future.  But I don't know what that future will be.  Hybrids are the industry standard for trains already - it is much easier to sync the drive train of multiple traction engines.  I don't know if they are the standard in ships - but hybrids certainly exist in large ships as well.  Once you already are using a hybrid drive train - the real question is can you get battery tech to beat fuel tech for your source of stored power.  In time, it will probably happen.  Till then it will need a shitload of subsides or legal protection.

The only reason we don't have commercial nuke ships is they were blacklisted.  Several were made, but ports would not accept them, or if they did accept them it was only after a logistical nightmare.  At least in one case, the test ship simply was not an economical design (it was a blend of cargo and passenger - requiring way too much crew for the passengers, and the passenger area hurt it's cargo capacity.  That said, it is always possible if we ever do pursue micro reactors - nuke cargo ships could make a comeback.

The real problem with EV's now is cost and compromise.  They might be cheaper to operate 90% of the time-but they are expensive and they don't fill all the niches that people want a vehicle for.  The majority of single people don't want to own multiple vehicles - it is expensive.  That said, they could work for many households that would already have 2 cars - if the couple could share and use electric for commuting, and gas when it is advantageous, but they have to get the cost down to make them fully competitive.  I've been keeping track of battery prices for years (for solar) - the price has plummeted.  But even at the current price, it is still prohibitively expensive for most people's vehicles.  2 years ago, I think Musk was saying he was trying to get his batteries down to $33/kwh - If they could get there, then they would probably be able to make an affordable vehicle.  
View Quote

Last I saw locomotive and ships were not hybrids in the sense of a Prius those big boats/locomotives don't power their drive systems off of batteries.  Things could of changed since I last looked.  

That said EV's absent a significant shift in battery tech will take a very long time to reach the pricing levels they need to be affordable without subsidies.  Even if they do we need to mine significantly more tonnage in copper nickel zinc lithium etc to convert the US fleet much less the rest of the world.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:17:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Accountant30339] [#23]
"Possibly" the world's largest deposit of lithium was found in the USA: https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/lithium-discovery-in-us-volcano-could-be-biggest-deposit-ever-found/4018032.article
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Accountant30339:
"Possibly" the world's largest deposit of lithium was found in the USA: https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/lithium-discovery-in-us-volcano-could-be-biggest-deposit-ever-found/4018032.article
View Quote

Environmental groups are already fighting over the Mcdermett Caldera. Sage Grouse habitat.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Tesla Magic Dock Supercharger installations increasing at a rapid rate

Tesla Magic Dock Supercharger installations are rapidly ramping up in the United States, based on data from a community-run, open-source website. The Magic Dock Supercharger ramp enables more non-Tesla vehicles to use Tesla Supercharger stations across the United States.

According to supercharge.info data, Tesla has been steadily increasing Magic Dock Supercharger installations over the last few days in September. The data reveals that Tesla installed 25 Magic Doc Superchargers this month, up from August with 15 installations.

Last month, Tesla installed Magic Dock Superchargers in Texas, Canada, and Alaska. Over the last few days, from September 25 to 26, Tesla installed Magic Doc Superchargers in Montrose, CO; Moses Lake, WA; Vicksburg, MS; Craig, CO; Kremmling – Park Ave, CO; and Washington, IN.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Tesla becomes the Standard Oil of the 21st century.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By fishing_cabin:
Many people will be complaining of charge rates, and cost at some point. I tinker around with gas pumps. I can talk about regulations. The EV world is a new frontier. It's a new thing. No one puts an advertised price sign with so much per kWh. Even the state (NC) really has not much way to regulate it it's all third parties. A meter in a pump is generally +/- 6 cubic inches per 5 gal. Increase the volume different tolerance. Not including high volume or loading racks.. Some variables. Ev charging I have no clue how accurate it is required to be.
View Quote

This shows up on the Tesla navigation.  Shows the number of chargers available, the number being used, the rate per kWh, and the pricing as a function of time ranges.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#28]
"From June through September 2023, automakers Acura, Fisker, General Motors, Honda, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Rivian, Polestar, and Volvo all announced that they would equip their electric vehicles sold in the North American market with NACS charge ports from the factory starting in 2025.[19][20][21] As of August 15, 2023, companies that have manufactured over 75% of the EVs on the road have committed to the NACS.[19]"

Wikipedia source
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Tesla gets its newest adoptees of NACS in Hyundai and Kia

"Tesla received news this morning that it would gain two new adoptees of its North American Charging Standard, or NACS, as Hyundai and Kia both committed to using the connector for its electric vehicles in the U.S. and Canada.

They are the two most recent companies to make the change, as Honda agreed to jump to NACS in September.

Hyundai is set to adopt the NACS in the fourth quarter of 2024 in the U.S., with Canadian vehicles to follow in the first half of 2025. The deal means Hyundai EVs will gain access to the more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers across North America, doubling the size of DC fast-charging options for those who choose to drive the company’s EVs.

“Our collaboration with Tesla marks another milestone in our commitment to delivering exceptional EV experiences to our customers,” Hyundai Global President and COO José Muñoz said. “This new alliance will provide Hyundai EV owners confidence in their ability to conveniently charge their vehicles and complements our joint venture company to create a new, high-powered charging network with at least 30,000 stations across North America.”

Hyundai’s commitment will help bring a more well-rounded and more convenient ownership experience to those who drive the EVs that operate on the company’s Electric-Global Modular Platform (E-GMP). These vehicles include both the IONIQ 5 and IONIQ 6.

“We’re proud to welcome Hyundai as the latest adopter of the North American Charging Standard.” Senior Director of Charging at Tesla Rebecca Tinucci said.

Hyundai company Genesis will also be apart of the NACS “coalition,” as CEO Elon Musk once called it.

In addition to the partnership with Hyundai, Tesla has also added Kia to its list of automakers that will adopt the NACS.

Kia’s EVs will also gain access to the North American Tesla Supercharger layout in Q4 2024, while current Niro EV and EV6 drivers, along with future EV9 owners, will have access via a soon-to-be-released NACS adapter and software updates with activation and payment via Kia Connect."
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#30]
ChargePoint begins preparing for the Tesla NACS takeover

"ChargePoint has started preparing for the takeover of Tesla’s North American Charging Connector (NACS) by ramping up the production of its chargers that are compatible with the inlet.

As more automakers prepare to adopt the NACS connector as soon as Spring 2024, ChargePoint is preparing for not only them but also for Tesla drivers to have more availability as congestion at Superchargers is expected.

ChargePoint announced today that it is now rolling out NACS connector support for its chargers, and “much of the lineup” will be delivered “over the coming month,” it said.

Cable conversion kits for existing ChargePoint DV fast chargers will be delivered to customers as soon as November, giving Tesla drivers a public fast charging option that is not a Supercharger for the first time.

Tesla drivers have used ChargePoint stalls on more than 35 million occasions, CEO Pasquale Romano said. “Our support for both installed and new products opens up ChargePoint’s DC chargers to millions of drivers who have not yet had a fast charging alternative to the Tesla ecosystem, and makes their AC charging experience more convenient.”"
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Tesla's charging stations are a joke! Every one of them is connected to a diesel/nat gas backup generator!
View Quote

Tesla's charging stations are the only ones that actually work.  They work reliably.  They're fast.  They're plentiful.   Why does that make them a joke?   Most critical infrastructure is connect to diesel / nat gas generators....cell sites, lift pumps, etc.  It's probably not a bad thing.  When the power is down, you're unable to pump gas.   But you can charge?  That's actually a pretty cool thing.  If they're using a generator to fill the void where inadequate utility power is available, so what.  Tesla is a for profit business - who cares.  Do you really think they care about the green agenda?  The eco a holes are the climate leftists, the WEF people and the government.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:
What I still want to know is how many amps does a home charger pull?
View Quote

Max draw on the 120v charger is about 12 amps.   Max on the 240v charger is about 48 amps.   I say max because it draws the most when the battery is the lowest.  The 120v charger doesn't do much of anything.  It will provide about 30-40 miles of range over an 8 hour period of charging.  The 120v charger isn't really meant to be used.   The 240v charger provides about 45 miles of range per hour.  

For the average person with a 240v home charger, leaving the car plugged in overnight, will provide them with a fully charged vehicle every morning-- at least 250 miles of range.  A full charge at home probably costs a few dollars... $ 3.50 the most.  They'll never have to stop at a Tesla Supercharger unless going on a road trip.  If they do, 20 minutes at a level 3 supercharger will give you 150+ miles of range for about $ 12.00 - $14.00.

Other EV's will charge significantly slower and have a lot of issues charging while on the road.  Teslas are plug and play -- simple, and they work.

We own gas cars, trucks, sports cars and 3 Teslas.  (2x Model 3's and 1x Model Y). The Teslas just work and require no maintenance -- cheap to own, but expensive to insure and go thorough tires.   And they're fast.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Toyota adopts Tesla’s NACS

"Tesla has gotten two new adoptees of the North American Charging Standard (NACS) in Toyota and Lexus, the companies announced on Thursday.

Several large automakers have already adopted Tesla’s NACS connector, including Ford, General Motors, Honda, BMW, and Rivian, among others.

However, Toyota and Lexus have now chosen to do the same thing, gaining access to Tesla’s Supercharger Network in North America in an effort to make charging more available for drivers of its EVs.

Toyota said it will incorporate NACS inlets in “certain Toyota and Lexus BEVs starting in 2025, including the all-new, three-row, battery-electric Toyota SUV that will be assembled at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky.'

The partnership will start in 2025, a year after Ford and GM will adopt it. Those automakers will gain access to the Tesla Supercharger Network in Spring 2024.

Customers owning or leasing Toyota and Lexus EVs equipped with the Combined Charging System (CCS) inlet will be offered an adapter to enable NACS access in 2025."
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Tesla has granted access to all but two major automakers

Opinion:  The title is misleading.  It seems that only two have not elected to adopt the NACS standard.

"Tesla is the only car company in the U.S. to operate an expansive network of its own chargers, and it has a reputation for having well-maintained and operational stalls that are rarely under the weather in terms of their ability to function.

Other manufacturers understand Tesla’s prowess with its charging infrastructure, but two large companies still have yet to adopt the NACS: Volkswagen and Stellantis.

Volkswagen was once a formidable ally of Tesla’s, but that goes back to prior management. Herbert Diess had the helm at VW for years and worked hard to push the German automaker to relevance in the EV sector. His approach ruffled the feathers of many at VW Group, and ultimately, Diess left to pursue other things.

Stellantis has several brands under its umbrella, including Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler, Maserati, and Alfa Romeo, to name a few. It has also opted not to adopt Tesla’s NACS port for reasons not known. However, it said it is mulling a switch, which Toyota also said it would do, and it eventually made the jump."
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 1:37:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#35]
Subaru gains Supercharger access by adopting Tesla NACS

"Subaru will gain access to Tesla’s Supercharger Network by becoming the latest adoptee of the North American Charging Standard (NACS).

Subaru becomes the latest company to adopt Tesla’s charging connector and will gain access to Tesla’s Supercharger Network in 2025.

It will also adopt NACS ports on certain Subaru BEVs launched in North America that year “and will continue to advance NACS adoption for its subsequent BEVs to be launched after that.”

Subaru said it will also have plans to provide access to an adapter that would enable its EV owners to charge at Combined Charging System, or CCS, chargers."

The following companies have committed to NACS:

Ford
   General Motors
   Fisker
   BMW
   Mercedes-Benz
   Genesis
   Honda
   Acura
   Hyundai
   Kia
   Jaguar
   Lexus
   Nissan
   Mini
   Polestar
   Volvo
   Rivian
   Rolls-Royce
   Toyota

Lucid, Stellantis, and Volkswagen still have yet to make a commitment to the NACS port.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Lucid Motors adopts Tesla’s NACS, leaving only Volkswagen and Stellantis

"Lucid Motors has officially announced plans to adopt Tesla’s North American Charging Standard (NACS), meaning the company will join several other automakers in gaining access to the Supercharger network in the coming years.

On Monday, Lucid announced plans to adopt the NACS charging port starting in 2025, as detailed in a press release. Now, Volkswagen and Stellantis are the only remaining holdouts for adopting Tesla’s charging hardware.

Lucid says its vehicles with Combined Charging System (CCS) hardware will also gain access to Superchargers in 2025 via an adapter that’s likely Tesla’s Magic Dock hardware.

“Adopting NACS is an important next step to providing our customers with expanded access to reliable and convenient charging solutions for their Lucid vehicles,” Lucid CEO Peter Rawlinson said in the release. “We believe that a unified charging standard, backed by the nationwide rollout of future-ready higher-voltage charging stations, will be a critical step in empowering American consumers to adopt electric vehicles.”"
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#38]

Thanks.  That makes it easy to see the score board.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 7:05:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Tesla NACS adopted by LG Level 3 chargers for EVs

"Tesla’s North America Charging Standard (NACS) was adopted by LG for its upcoming Level 3 DC chargers. LG’s adoption of NACS shows how Tesla’s connector is rapidly becoming the standard in the United States.

South Korean tech company LG Electronics plans to enter the United States growing electric vehicle (EV) charger market next year. LG will enter the market with its first line of owner-operated AC and DC EV charging stations with Level 2 and 3 chargers.

LG will first launch its Level 2 AC charger in the US market. It has a load management solution and variable current settings, enabling an output power of 11 kW through a standard SAE J1772 connector. LG’s Level 2 AC charger is wall-mounted and can be installed anywhere in an establishment."
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#40]
As of November 2023, Mazda, Mitsubishi Motors, Stellantis, and the Volkswagen Group are the only legacy automakers who have not announced that they will adopt NACS.[21]

Source
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche and Scout brands to adopt Tesla’s NACS

"Tesla’s North American Charging Standard (NACS) has nearly been adopted by every automaker in the industry, now including Volkswagen’s entire lineup of brands.

Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche will adopt Tesla’s NACS charging port beginning in 2025, as announced on Tuesday in a press release. Electric vehicles (EVs) from each of the auto brands will also gain access to the Supercharger network beginning in 2025, and the company says it’s looking at adapter solutions for existing EVs without the hardware.

Additionally, VW’s new brand Scout Motors will include the Tesla charging port when its EVs go on sale.

“This is great news for our electric vehicle customers in the North American Region,” said Pablo Di Si, Volkswagen Group of America President and CEO. “This potentially provides them with access to more than 15,000 additional charging points as well as the current near-4,000 DC fast charging outlets operated by Electrify America. It would mean that customers of our fast-selling electric vehicles like the Volkswagen ID.4 will have access to an extensive and growing charging network.”

VW’s lineup marks almost the last major automaker to adopt the charging standard, which Tesla opened up to other companies last November. In May, Ford CEO Jim Farley announced plans for the automaker to adopt the NACS port in a Spaces call on X with Tesla CEO Elon Musk, marking the first major automaker to do so.

In the months since, every automaker from startup to major company has announced plans to adopt Tesla’s NACS hardware, with the only exception being Stellantis. Stellantis owns U.S. brands including Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep, along with several other international automakers like Alfa Romeo, Citroën, Fiat, Maserati and more."

Stellantis will cave.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Here is an updated chart of the style that SamBoga provided above:

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:06:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#43]
Mazda adopts Tesla’s North American Charging Standard (NACS)

"Japanese carmaker Mazda has announced that it will be adopting Tesla’s North American Charging Standard for its upcoming battery electric vehicles. Mazda’s EVs that would be equipped with Tesla’s NACS standard are expected to be launched in North America from 2025 onward.

Mazda announced its NACS adoption in a press release. As noted by the automaker, the company’s adoption of NACS would provide its customers with a broader range of charging options. It would also provide drivers of Mazda battery electric vehicles (BEVs) with a reliable and expansive network of over 15,000 Superchargers in North America."
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By kc-coyote:

It is all about making money and controlling the market (including the charging market which is worth $$$), just like the cell phone makers did where you literally had to buy a new cable every time you bought a new phone.  If I recall I think Europe made a big stink about it and then they somewhat standardized, with Apple being too good to standardize like the rest.
View Quote

If Samsung is betting their future on selling $6 wires on a $1100 phone I think they're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:The entire oil and gas industry has been propped up by the government.
View Quote

Also don't discount the thousands of American lives lost fighting in the Persian Gulf wars to ensure the oil flows.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By nick89302:

But also this is a good thing.
View Quote

A good thing would be for the EV nonsense to go away.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Paul:

Also don't discount the thousands of American lives lost fighting in the Persian Gulf wars to ensure the oil flows.
View Quote

That wasn't the reason for Iraq or Afghanistan.

The fundamental ME problem is the religion and culture of the region. Your solar powered car won't fix that. Or prevent us from being involved.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#48]

The entire oil and gas industry has been propped up by the government.  From the beginning and ongoing.  People get upset because their neighbor takes a $7500 credit, while the oil company takes billions.  Both of those made possible by the government.  

Of course the USA never fought wars over oil.  It was for WMDs.  Of course.   Could these wars have been a version of government interference to prop up oil?  Oh, you are only talking about subsidies to individuals not corporations or dead soldiers.

There are subsidies and mandates on both sides.  Oil has received a metric shit ton more only by the virtue it’s been around a lot longer.  It ain’t any different.
View Quote

Leftist talking points.

ICE, oil and gas came about because they made sense in the market, they were not government funded. No need for rebates, etc. In 2021 the feds and states received $53B in revenue from gas taxes.

ICE is paying for the EV welfare queens.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By DonS:
Leftist talking points.

ICE, oil and gas came about because they made sense in the market, they were not government funded. No need for rebates, etc. In 2021 the feds and states received $53B in revenue from gas taxes.

ICE is paying for the EV welfare queens.
View Quote

Petroleum is the lifeblood of a good economy.  Petroleum is not going away.  Natural gas is not going away.  Coal should become a larger percentage of electrical power generation.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:38:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#50]
Ford will provide free charging adapters.

Source

"Ford will offer complimentary charging adapters to eligible F-150 Lightning and Mustang Mach-E owners so that they can access Tesla’s Supercharger network of DC fast chargers across the United States and Canada.

The company said that customers will be able to reserve the free OEM adapters starting this spring, and the company will ship them directly to the owners. CEO Jim Farley added in a post on social media platform X, “This is our way of saying thank you!”  We want to make charging more convenient for our Ford EV owners, so we're excited to add Tesla chargers and will continue growing our BlueOval Charge Network. More details soon."
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top