Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 18
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#1]
None of this bullshit matters.  Arguing the semantics of how we got here doesn't change the situation on the ground, which is the most pressing issue as of right now.

If UKR doesn't get to the table and hammer out a peace deal, then they're screwed.  Funding is drying up.  Public sentiment has soured, or at best, moved on to the next conflict in the spotlight.  

UKR's days are numbered for being able to put up a defense.  Even if funding were to kick in today, it would likely only mean more death, for both Russia and Ukraine.  The lines haven't moved in a meaningful way in well over a year.  It's a meat grinder.  UKR can't win a war of attrition.  Yet another reason for a peace deal.  

The only saving grace is that it would be practically impossible for Russia to take and hold the entire country.

US assets have been instigators in many wars over the last century.  There's tons of examples to use if you're looking to criticize, or justify, that behavior.  This would simply be another tick on the sheet.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
US assets have been instigators in many wars over the last century.  There's tons of examples to use if you're looking to criticize, or justify, that behavior.  This would simply be another tick on the sheet.
View Quote

Even the stuff they're going back and forth about on the last page. The concept of a vacation destination that doubled as a strategic naval base, subsequently having a referendum where 93% of the voters approve accession to the union/federation, and then screeching that the vote was not valid from a few smaller groups in the area. Fill in Hawaii or Crimea
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You may want to check out that "or" in point #4.
So yes, it does say such a thing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Budapest memorandum, which is admittedly not very clear on what constitutes "security guarantees", but you can make a pretty good argument that support in the form of weapons and ammo probably fall under that, while (and this is just IMO) troops on deck do not.
The Budapest Memorandum says no such thing.

1 Respect the signatory's independence and sovereignty in the existing borders (in accordance with the principles of the CSCE Final Act).

2 Refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of the signatories to the memorandum, and undertake that none of their weapons will ever be used against these countries, except in cases of self-defense or otherwise in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations.

3 Refrain from economic coercion designed to subordinate to their own interest the exercise by Ukraine, the Republic of Belarus and Kazakhstan of the rights inherent in its sovereignty and thus to secure advantages of any kind.

4  Seek immediate Security Council action to provide assistance to the signatory if they "should become a victim of an act of aggression or an object of a threat of aggression in which nuclear weapons are used".

5 Not to use nuclear weapons against any non - nuclear-weapon state party to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, except in the case of an attack on themselves, their territories or dependent territories, their armed forces, or their allies, by such a state in association or alliance with a nuclear weapon state.[9][10]

6 Consult with one another if questions arise regarding those commitments.

As far as I know NO ONE has nuked Ukr
It was never ratified as a treaty in the US so we have zero legal obligations under it.

And under the agreement we'd have to ask Russia. That is never going to happen.
https://treaties.un.org/Pages/showDetails.aspx?objid=0800000280401fbb

May want to check out that or as well  When was UKR Nuked?  "or an object of a threat of aggression in which nuclear weapons are used."
Sorry Plain English and reality says it doesn't.

Link Posted: 12/14/2023 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
May want to check out that or as well  When was UKR Nuked?  "or an object of a threat of aggression in which nuclear weapons are used."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Budapest memorandum, which is admittedly not very clear on what constitutes "security guarantees", but you can make a pretty good argument that support in the form of weapons and ammo probably fall under that, while (and this is just IMO) troops on deck do not.

1 Respect the signatory's independence and sovereignty in the existing borders (in accordance with the principles of the CSCE Final Act).

2 Refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of the signatories to the memorandum, and undertake that none of their weapons will ever be used against these countries, except in cases of self-defense or otherwise in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations.

3 Refrain from economic coercion designed to subordinate to their own interest the exercise by Ukraine, the Republic of Belarus and Kazakhstan of the rights inherent in its sovereignty and thus to secure advantages of any kind.

4  Seek immediate Security Council action to provide assistance to the signatory if they "should become a victim of an act of aggression or an object of a threat of aggression in which nuclear weapons are used".

5 Not to use nuclear weapons against any non - nuclear-weapon state party to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, except in the case of an attack on themselves, their territories or dependent territories, their armed forces, or their allies, by such a state in association or alliance with a nuclear weapon state.[9][10]

It was never ratified as a treaty in the US so we have zero legal obligations under it.

You cut out the first part.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do you have a hard time reading "the ballot left open the possibilities for independence, separation or unity with Russia."  It simply said leave Ukraine.
Separatists in 2014 were not "Russian Agents" their initial goal was an independent country. When that didn't work out they turned to Russia. This is all history.

Explain Turchynov
View Quote

Feel free to explore Turchnyov to your heart's content.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Even the stuff they're going back and forth about on the last page. The concept of a vacation destination that doubled as a strategic naval base, subsequently having a referendum where 93% of the voters approve accession to the union/federation, and then screeching that the vote was not valid from a few smaller groups in the area. Fill in Hawaii or Crimea
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not valid during an invasion...not difficult.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I see you're doubling down on the 2014 sham; I'm just surprised you didn't include the 2022 "referendum" too. Don't forget to mention that Iraq voted for Saddam with 99% of the vote too!

Here is a link to the referendum when they actually had a free choice: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Ukrainian_independence_referendum

ETA: I guess I misspoke in my earlier post: It was the original referendum if they wanted to be part of Ukraine in the first place (which ALL regions did). There was not a subsequent poll asking if they wanted to leave.
View Quote

The 12/1/1991 referendum was literally "Do you support the Act of Declaration of Independence of Ukraine?" I.E do you support what we already did.  The Rada had already declared Independence from the USSR on 24 August 1991. They actually didn't have free choice. It was already a Fait Accompli

Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Bullshit, the russbros were preaching it as fact, here and elsewhere. It wasn't some absurd 4D chess to expose anyone.
Complete and utter nonsense.

I don't even know who the fuck you are and care even less about your posting history.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know your motivation, that's why I asked. I do find it interesting though that you look down on those who debunk russian bullshit rather than those who post the bullshit in the first place.
Speaking of assigning motivations, you may want to look in the mirror. I don't know of anyone who thinks debunking russian garbage is helping to kill russians. It's simply pushback against russian IO, and it's frustrating them.

That's what the long post I quoted seemed to be saying. The yachts story has an impact on votes, votes have an impact on aid, and it ended by saying the aid is for killing more people in the war

Good luck in the pushback against russian IO, in the same way I also hope to see more from the poster pushing back against satan in the thread about dungeons and dragons. I am sure the demons in their nearby area are also frustrated.

Again, Russians wouldn't be writing articles crying about it if it wasn't having some effect on them.
I'm still curious why you take issue with the push back, and not the original lies.
Anyone with half a brain knew the Yacht post was trolling and Ukebros took that bait hook line and sinker. The entire post was literally done to expose the over-reaction by certain folks against anything not pro-Zman.

Your insistence on constantly bringing it up in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with Yachts or mansions is proof positive of the obsession Ukebros have.

Now go find an old post of mine where I purposely stated something controversial so you can Hurr Durr the whole thing

Bullshit, the russbros were preaching it as fact, here and elsewhere. It wasn't some absurd 4D chess to expose anyone.

I don't even know who the fuck you are and care even less about your posting history.

You and several others got totally punked by it. No wonder you're in denial
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#9]
By the way, I thought it was interesting that some of the people in this thread were speaking exactly the same as Vladimir Putin did today in his big annual press conference/Q&A session. He too was going on about historical origins of Ukraine, Russia, while completely ignoring the legal status of Ukraine as a sovereign nation with borders that Russia agreed to in the 1990s.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:18:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

So you agree that ruskibros do in fact troll the forum in violation of CoC.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean the part where Russia would just veto the whole thing?
Or the part where "6 Consult with one another if questions arise regarding those commitments."
We did neither of those.

So are you one of those second amendment guys who thinks only the national guard should have firearms?

Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The 12/1/1991 referendum was literally "Do you support the Act of Declaration of Independence of Ukraine?" I.E do you support what we already did.  The Rada had already declared Independence from the USSR on 24 August 1991. They actually didn't have free choice. It was already a Fait Accompli
View Quote

So, as an expression of democracy it was as invalid as the 2014 "referendum" run by the Russians in Luhansk & Donetsk.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Americas credibility is an important asset, no question.   So why haven't we been serious about defending Ukraine?   In or out, the "just the tip" strategy isn't going to work, obviously.
View Quote

Because Biden is absolutely terrible at foreign policy. <- literally this.

He and the people that surround him are stuck in this "look like we are doing the right thing, but we are afraid of provoking Russia" Loop.  They cannot fathom the concept of Strength bringing about peace. They cannot understand it at all.

If you watch what they do, it becomes clear:

Provide a little aid, stop and wait to see what Russia does, then when nothing happens, provide a little more.
Always being careful not to provide anything too provocative.

If they'd just commit and provide the arms without any strings attached, the war would be a lot different - and nobody would nuke anybody.

The US would not have to put troops into UKR and it would be cheaper in the long run.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The alternative is nations begin to develop Nukes on their own as a failsafe.

View Quote

If Ukraine survives, they would be foolish not to.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
By the way, I thought it was interesting that some of the people in this thread were speaking exactly the same as Vladimir Putin did today in his big annual press conference/Q&A session. He too was going on about historical origins of Ukraine, Russia, while completely ignoring the legal status of Ukraine as a sovereign nation with borders that Russia agreed to in the 1990s.
View Quote

True history is true history.  One cannot argue with facts.   One might try to wrongly justify something based on a true history but it does not invalidate hhistorical fact.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you have a hard time reading "the ballot left open the possibilities for independence, separation or unity with Russia."  It simply said leave Ukraine.
Separatists in 2014 were not "Russian Agents" their initial goal was an independent country. When that didn't work out they turned to Russia. This is all history.

Explain Turchynov

Feel free to explore Turchnyov to your heart's content.
Awww

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get back to me when your comrades don't follow me around like little children in violation of the CoC.

Harassing another member over past threads or posts
Continually following another member around the site to attack another member over posts they have made is considered harassment and will result in sanctions. The only exception to this rule is when the original referenced posts are related to the current thread's topic.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
True history is true history.  One cannot argue with facts.   One might try to wrongly justify something based on a true history but it does not invalidate hhistorical fact.
View Quote

All beside the point. Trying to use "true history" to invalidate present legal facts is the key problem in question. That is what Putin and some GD posters do.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know your motivation, that's why I asked. I do find it interesting though that you look down on those who debunk russian bullshit rather than those who post the bullshit in the first place.
Speaking of assigning motivations, you may want to look in the mirror. I don't know of anyone who thinks debunking russian garbage is helping to kill russians. It's simply pushback against russian IO, and it's frustrating them.

That's what the long post I quoted seemed to be saying. The yachts story has an impact on votes, votes have an impact on aid, and it ended by saying the aid is for killing more people in the war

Good luck in the pushback against russian IO, in the same way I also hope to see more from the poster pushing back against satan in the thread about dungeons and dragons. I am sure the demons in their nearby area are also frustrated.

Again, Russians wouldn't be writing articles crying about it if it wasn't having some effect on them.
I'm still curious why you take issue with the push back, and not the original lies.
Anyone with half a brain knew the Yacht post was trolling and Ukebros took that bait hook line and sinker. The entire post was literally done to expose the over-reaction by certain folks against anything not pro-Zman.

Your insistence on constantly bringing it up in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with Yachts or mansions is proof positive of the obsession Ukebros have.

Now go find an old post of mine where I purposely stated something controversial so you can Hurr Durr the whole thing

If you deny the true believer russbros you're a complete fool or a liar. Reread the thread and tell me I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Or the part where "6 Consult with one another if questions arise regarding those commitments."
We did neither of those.

So are you one of those second amendment guys who thinks only the national guard should have firearms?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We did neither of those.

"To provide assistance"

Do you really think Ukraine would have agreed to this if they really thought Russia could veto any assistance?
Who was Ukraine mostly concerned with making them victims?
Use some fucking common sense.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Get back to me when your comrades don't follow me around like little children in violation of the CoC.

Continually following another member around the site to attack another member over posts they have made is considered harassment and will result in sanctions. The only exception to this rule is when the original referenced posts are related to the current thread's topic.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop playing the victim. Who the hell is following you and harassing you?
You're the one that brought up previous posts of mine, I never mentioned yours.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

All beside the point. Trying to use "true history" to invalidate present legal facts is the key problem in question. That is what Putin and some GD posters do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ANd inversely, posters on the "Ukebro" side use historical arguments when they think it justifies their position and ignore history when it doesn't.  It's dishonest to say the phenomenon is just regulated to one side of the debate.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
None of this bullshit matters.  Arguing the semantics of how we got here doesn't change the situation on the ground, which is the most pressing issue as of right now.

If UKR doesn't get to the table and hammer out a peace deal, then they're screwed.  Funding is drying up.  Public sentiment has soured, or at best, moved on to the next conflict in the spotlight.  

UKR's days are numbered for being able to put up a defense.  Even if funding were to kick in today, it would likely only mean more death, for both Russia and Ukraine.  The lines haven't moved in a meaningful way in well over a year.  It's a meat grinder.  UKR can't win a war of attrition.  Yet another reason for a peace deal.  

The only saving grace is that it would be practically impossible for Russia to take and hold the entire country.

View Quote

Agreed, people need to get past the bullshit and see the writing on the wall here.  There is the way we wish the world was and the way that it is and as conservative we always deal with the way that it is.  

There is untold carnage in this war.  Men, real people with families are getting just mauled on both sides here with who knows how many civilians caught up in this mess.   To just press for endless war of attrition with no realistic aims or viable strategy is frankly just sinful, like pure demonic sinful.  What makes my skin crawl is that so many people are pretty much just calling for that to happen and yet they're doing so hundreds if not thousands of miles away from the carnage of it all with no will of their own to do anything other than post a Ukraine flag on their social media.

I've seen disable veterans from the GWOT at the VA, spoken to them, and I've seen Ukraine guys getting limbs blown off in videos from the front.  Guys dragging their wounded friends across muddy fields until some cheap drone you could probably buy at Best Buy swoops down on them.  This is horrific crap and since there is no burning desire to start WW3 over Ukraine it's time to bring this conflict to a negotiated settlement, which is the only way short of WW3 it's ever going to end.

Every war is won or lost before it even starts.  Well, sadly that's the case here.  There is a lot of blame to go around and I'm sure that will be discussed for some time at length, but the carnage has to stop.  Ukraine's victory is that if it negotiates soon it has a good chance of surviving just like Finland did after the Winter War of 1939.  Given the circumstances that's a Hell of a victory in and of itself, the Ukraine people can hold their heads high and end this war with Honor.

Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If you deny the true believer russbros you're a complete fool or a liar. Reread the thread and tell me I'm wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

"To provide assistance"

Do you really think Ukraine would have agreed to this if they really thought Russia could veto any assistance?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We did neither of those.

"To provide assistance"

Learn English
"in which nuclear weapons are used".

You are one of those "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State," means you can't have any guys?

Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgflip.com/1fasq4.jpg

lol
Talk about denial
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Stop playing the victim. Who the hell is following you and harassing you?
You're the one that brought up previous posts of mine, I never mentioned yours
View Quote
That wasn't meant for you.
Lieh-Tzu knows exactly what it was about and as usual responded like a child
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Learn English

You are one of those "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State," means you can't have any guys?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We did neither of those.

"To provide assistance"

Learn English

And the part before the or:

Seek immediate Security Council action to provide assistance to the signatory if they should become a victim of an act of aggression
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Seek immediate Security Council action to provide assistance to the signatory if they should become a victim of an act of aggression
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We did neither of those.

"To provide assistance"

Learn English

Security council action.   Not US taxpayer or NATO, but the UN.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Why are Russians mad about it?

“A member of the pro-Russian Party of Regions, his removal from the presidency via revolution in 2014 led to the Russo-Ukrainian War. Since then, he has lived in exile in Russia.”

Hmm. But why?

“In November 2013, Yanukovych made a sudden decision, amidst economic pressure from Russia,[10] to withdraw from signing an association agreement with the EU and instead accept a Russian trade deal and loan bailout. This sparked mass protests against him that ultimately led to his ousting as President.”

So Russia lost their puppet, what happened afterwards?

“The war began in April 2014 when armed Russian-backed separatists seized government buildings and the Ukrainian military launched an operation against them.[20][21] It continued until it was subsumed by the Russian invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.”

Russia got big mad that the Ukrainians threw out their boy so they started the war
View Quote

God damn the Russians sound like Americans.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We did neither of those.

"To provide assistance"

Learn English

And if a council member was the aggressor? Which everyone knew they would be.

Just...too damn bad, shouldn't have given up your nukes?
The council failed and the UN is useless. Assurances were given, and I think it's right to make good on them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The council failed and the UN is useless. Assurances were given, and I think it's right to make good on them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We did neither of those.

"To provide assistance"

Learn English

That may be so, but it simply demonstrates that the accord did not obligate us to act.  Sure, you may feel like we should but that accord did not make a binding treaty nor alliance for us.  ANd, yes, they shouldn't have disarmed.  It's  a lesson for the rest of the world.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That may be so, but it simply demonstrates that the accord did not obligate us to act.  Sure, you may feel like we should but that accord did not make a binding treaty nor alliance for us.  ANd, yes, they shouldn't have disarmed.  It's  a lesson for the rest of the world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We did neither of those.

"To provide assistance"

Learn English

Agreed, they shouldn't have trusted us and they damn sure shouldn't have trusted Russia.
It boils down to how you define assurances (not defined in the agreement) and what obligation it imposes to who. None of it is very clear, except to say we do know Ukraine interpreted it as a guarantee for some kind of support.
Bottom line is those who say "we don't owe Ukraine shit" I think are over simplifying.

There are a lot of other treaties/agreements on this topic as well, some specific to Ukraine like this one and others more general...I need to dig into those sometime, I don't know a lot about them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
If the spirit of the agreement was that we would assure their security...getting all picky over details now is a bitch move.  Nothing in the NATO treaty compels a specific level of response.  Why would any NATO country believe we would meaningfully protect them?  I mean most of them bitched out years ago and don't deserve it at this point, but that's a different discussion.

If there is a moral way to conduct a war, it's certainly required to conclude it as quickly as possible.  If overwhelming force achieves that end, then it is the more moral path.  I've been saying this for a year.  In the face of potential nuclear exchange it requires courage, and maybe it's not the right thing to do for our country, I accept that, but what we have done in Ukraine is cruel.   We have prolonged a war, to the point of stalemate.  Where soldiers and innocents continue to die for no meaningful gain and now it will conclude with the aggressor still gaining ground.  That must be the worst way to war.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Agreed, they shouldn't have trusted us and they damn sure shouldn't have trusted Russia.
It boils down to how you define assurances (not defined in the agreement) and what obligation it imposes to who. None of it is very clear, except to say we do know Ukraine interpreted it as a guarantee for some kind of support.
Bottom line is those who say "we don't owe Ukraine shit" I think are over simplifying.

There are a lot of other treaties/agreements on this topic as well, some specific to Ukraine like this one and others more general...I need to dig into those sometime, I don't know a lot about them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We did neither of those.

"To provide assistance"

Learn English

It was never put forth to the US Senate for ratification because both Bush and Clinton knew it wouldn't pass. We have no treaty so by OUR laws no obligation to act.

Ukraine really didn't have a choice at the time.  They couldn't readily launch them and couldn't maintain them or afford them. At the time Russia and the US had just signed START 1 so the whole world thought it was a good idea. We made promises and gave them a shitload of money for "disposal"

Like it has been said. They should have said fuck off and kept them but that ship has long ago  sailed.

Link Posted: 12/14/2023 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
ANd inversely, posters on the "Ukebro" side use historical arguments when they think it justifies their position and ignore history when it doesn't.  It's dishonest to say the phenomenon is just regulated to one side of the debate.
View Quote

I agree. The pointless sideshow elements are tiresome. Both sides do it, either getting drawn into it or grasping at irrelevancies to buttress their positions. And I NEVER said that just one side does it.

I find the ancient history aspect interesting in an academic sense, but totally irrelevant. Bottom line, Russia signed treaties with Ukraine, accepted international law views of Ukraine's borders, then launched hostile invasions anyway. As far as the history goes, arguing that Donetsk should be in Russia has no more validity than saying Rostov should be in Ukraine. (Rostov was part of the brief Ukrainian Republic era between the Russian Revolution and the establishment of the USSR.) Interesting, but pointless in contemporary context.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

The two options in the 2014 Crimean referendum boiled down to 'join Russia or leave Ukraine' so.....
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

In hindsight, Ukraine should never have agreed to such a completely toothless document, with absolutely no enforcement mechanism of any kind. They probably believed they could always count on their brothers in Moscow for protection. In 1994, did any of them imagine in their wildest dreams that Russia would be slaughtering them in an unprovoked invasion, raping their women, murdering civilians, kidnapping their children? If you went back in time and showed them news stories from this year, they would have denied it completely.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

You post like a child, you get a child's response. Bye.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aww taking your ball and going home?

Link Posted: 12/14/2023 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So if it weren't for the "Ukebros" on this forum, the overwhelming sentiment here would be passive Ukraine support and not "F Ukraine".

https://media1.giphy.com/media/21S35iv1C67ns2g458/giphy.gif
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2023 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's interesting that like with the history example a few posts up, where Ukraine fans will geek out on history and 'we wuz kangs' when it fits the narrative, but ignore history that does not fit the narrative, the same thing happens with sacred unchangeable border arguments.

Ukraine fans will act like borders in europe are sacred and can never change after 1990, and we should be willing to go to great lengths to stop it from happening. But the US, UK, Germany (not so much France and a few others) were willing to recognize post 1990 border changes as a result of the Yugoslavian conflict, because that wasn't in Russia's interest. This time, the border changes do not serve our interests so suddenly european borders are back to being landmarks of god, put in place in 1990 like a new set of joseph smith golden tablets.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It's interesting that like with the history example a few posts up, where Ukraine fans will geek out on history and 'we wuz kangs' when it fits the narrative, but ignore history that does not fit the narrative, the same thing happens with sacred unchangeable border arguments.

Ukraine fans will act like borders in europe are sacred and can never change after 1990, and we should be willing to go to great lengths to stop it from happening. But the US, UK, Germany (not so much France and a few others) were willing to recognize post 1990 border changes as a result of the Yugoslavian conflict, because that wasn't in Russia's interest. This time, the border changes do not serve our interests so suddenly european borders are back to being landmarks of god, put in place in 1990 like a new set of joseph smith golden tablets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So in your world borders can be established, agreed upon by ALL parties (including Russia) then it's totally a-ok for Russia to launch an invasion breaking...at least 3 signed agreements/treaties because "borders change"
Sorry, not buying it. Established borders agreed upon and respected by all parties help prevent wars. Note I didn't say PREVENT, but HELP to prevent.
Essentially your argument is that national sovereignty is irrelevant. Again, I'm not buying it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So in your world borders can be established, agreed upon by ALL parties (including Russia) then it's totally a-ok for Russia to launch an invasion breaking...at least 3 signed agreements/treaties because "borders change"
Sorry, not buying it. Established borders agreed upon and respected by all parties help prevent wars. Note I didn't say PREVENT, but HELP to prevent.
Essentially your argument is that national sovereignty is irrelevant. Again, I'm not buying it.
View Quote

Still trying to change everything into a right vs wrong, good guys vs bad guys dichotomy

If its a question of how much its worth to the US to stop Ukraine's border from changing (i.e. the argument we cannot negotiate to end the conflict), just a blanket statement about borders not changing after 1990 doesn't cut it because we were willing to see Yugoslavia change, after 1990, at the negotiated end of a war
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Still trying to change everything into a right vs wrong, good guys vs bad guys dichotomy

If its a question of how much its worth to the US to stop Ukraine's border from changing (i.e. the argument we cannot negotiate to end the conflict), just a blanket statement about borders not changing after 1990 doesn't cut it because we were willing to see Yugoslavia change, after 1990, at the negotiated end of a war
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty poor attempt to dodge the point I made.

You think national sovereignty is irrelevant. I don't.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

You could go to the sevastopol airport with a document from 1990 showing it was sovereign ukrainian territory, and refuse to go through russian passport control, and see how it works out. Not sure how to say sovereign citizen in russian.

Sovereignty is of course relevant, but is a foreign country's sovereignty worth an unlimited amount to the US taxpayer? Is Ukraine's 30 year run at having sovereignty over donbas worth another hundred thousand losses? Shutting the whole discussion up with a term like "It's relevant" sounds like lefty argument style
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at all. More like your response is a pretty poor attempt at deflection.

Where were you during Kosovo?
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You could go to the sevastopol airport with a document from 1990 showing it was sovereign ukrainian territory, and refuse to go through russian passport control, and see how it works out. Not sure how to say sovereign citizen in russian.

Sovereignty is of course relevant, but is a foreign country's sovereignty worth an unlimited amount to the US taxpayer? Is Ukraine's 30 year run at having sovereignty over donbas worth another hundred thousand losses? Shutting the whole discussion up with a term like "It's relevant" sounds like lefty argument style
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now accusing me of being lefty, meanwhile constantly changing your argument. Your "sovereign citizen" quip might share one word with my point, but it is indeed irrelevant.
As far as the cost of lives, Ukraine seems to think it's worth it.

Why aren't you asking if taking Ukrainian territory worth another hundred thousand Russian lives? Why are you putting it on Ukraine, the defending country?
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"you're deflecting...where were you during Kosovo"

gtfo

You guys are making arguments that national sovereignty doesn't matter. You're never going to convince me of this.
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top