Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you want a really good book on the matter, read A HIGHER FORM OF KILLING.

It's scary stuff.
Which one? @strike6

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/44277/Screen_Shot_2019-10-07_at_7_35_52_PM_png-1116408.JPG
I had the first one checked out from the library for quite some time in jr high I found it pretty interesting and read it several times. I would probably be scrutinized today for the stuff that I checked out back then.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I had the first one checked out from the library for quite some time in jr high I found it pretty interesting and read it several times. I would probably be scrutinized today for the stuff that I checked out back then.
View Quote
I just checked that first one out from the MWR kindle library.  Looks like there is another copy available if anyone else has access.

They don't have the second one.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Do you feel the same way about the Japanese?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The German nation should have been obliterated from the face of the Earth for that
I’m pretty sure Curtis Lemay killed more civilians in Tokyo with fire than the Germans killed soldiers with gas.

Lemay himself believed he’d have been tried as a war criminal if we hadn’t won.

Now, I don’t particularly believe there is such a thing as “war crimes.” War is hell, and there’s no refining it. Trying to bring honor or fairness into armed conflict is a fools errand. When you stand on the ashes of a billion dead souls ask them what honor matters. Their silence is your answer.
very few critiques of the japanese in WW2 have been based on the manner in which they fought.  in general, it was their behavior away from the battlefield that is so justly vilified.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:11:33 PM EDT
[#4]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you want a really good book on the matter, read A HIGHER FORM OF KILLING.

It's scary stuff.
Which one? @strike6

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/44277/Screen_Shot_2019-10-07_at_7_35_52_PM_png-1116408.JPG
@rlltd42

The first one with white and yellow cover.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The German nation should have been obliterated from the face of the Earth for that
I’m pretty sure Curtis Lemay killed more civilians in Tokyo with fire than the Germans killed soldiers with gas.

Now, I don’t particularly believe there is such a thing as “war crimes.” War is hell, and there’s no refining it. Trying to bring honor or fairness into armed conflict is a fools errand. When you stand on the ashes of a billion dead souls ask them what honor matters. Their silence is your answer.
Which way? I'm not sure what you mean?
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

@rlltd42

The first one with white and yellow cover.
View Quote
Awesome, I'll start reading it tonight.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There was no legitimate military value to the use of gas in WW1?

Oookay then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gas was brand new. It's indiscriminate, there was no possible way to prepare for it mentally, and there was no way to shoot straighter, or faster, or parry a bayonet more effectively.

Imagine if our enemies right now had a weapon (like nanotech, or something else), that could melt you no matter what PPE you wore, and killed everything in its path.
You mean like us until Russia made there own bomb.....
Except both Hiroshima and Nagasaki had legitimate military value.

It was absolutely right for us to use the A-bombs, many times over.

Oookay then.
Yeah, that's like...totally what I said.

Don't think that I'm some peace-loving hippie, but we do abide by the law of war/law of armed conflict, and we still maintain the ability to conduct a reprisal (look it up), though we have not. Many enemies in the latter half of the twentieth century and all of the twenty-first would certainly qualify for them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did the Japanese commit war crimes?
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Gas was brand new. It's indiscriminate, there was no possible way to prepare for it mentally, and there was no way to shoot straighter, or faster, or parry a bayonet more effectively.

Imagine if our enemies right now had a weapon (like nanotech, or something else), that could melt you no matter what PPE you wore, and killed everything in its path.

Men slowly drowned in their own bodily fluids.
View Quote
Sounds like they deserve to win then to me. Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Absolutely horrific.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they were inhuman barbarians with their practices related to unit 731 and such, but no, I don't think those are war crimes. War crimes are an ex post facto attempt to civilize warfare, which should absolutely never even be considered. War should be so unholy and terrible that it comes around only when most gravely necessary, and then prosecuted with such ferocious intensity that no one ever wants to try it again.

If we'd lost to them, as we like to do now, it would have been very different.
Hell, now we like to sit down and negotiate with the animals who butcher our soldiers.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Exactly.  Before that, the limiting factor in food production was nitrogen fertilizer.  We couldn't feed the world without it.
View Quote
It's hard to imagine now, but before the Haber process guano was such a major source of fertilizer that tropical islands were mined for it...  hence the reason why the US still owns assorted unpopulated islands around the world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guano_Islands_Act
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Men slowly drowned in their own bodily fluids.
I'm not arguing the legality or efficacy of the attack, rather I'm talking about the impact on the human psyche.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#14]
My 6th grade teacher was gassed in WW1.  Lost his voice and could only whisper.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I can’t begin to imagine being in a gas attack.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I read "A Higher Form Of Killing" when I was a teenager in the 80s. It left a mark.

When I went through the breech in 1991 with 2/5 I had that detector paper hanging off me in sheets. Guys made fun of me lol.

Fuck gas.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
On the run up to the 1st Gulf War, we were shown smuggled video of Iraqi troops gassing Kurds. It was horrifying.
View Quote
Funny how that works... we supported Saddam’s gassing of Kurds & Iranians while he was doing it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_chemical_attacks_against_Iran
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Other scientists and engineers would say "sure", because they're smart enough to realize that without competitive weapons a person or nation is at the mercy of another.
View Quote
And that if you're not making weapons, you're just making targets.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
But being disemboweled by the 2' long bayonet was ok!....
View Quote
At least that's a fight.  Your enemy has a 2'?  Better get a 2.5' one.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I've always been fascinated by this topic, mainly because the Army dumped unspecified munitions offshore in one of my favorite fishing grounds. There was so much of this crap around after WWII that all the countries on both sides loaded entire ships with the stuff, towed them offshore and scuttled them.  The Brits alone sank over 20 freighters full. They dumped over two million tons of mixed munitions right off their coast.

There is still a bunch around, An arsenal in Kentucky is still destroying WWII mustard gas stockpiles.

Here's a story with an interactive map. dump sites.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:22:20 PM EDT
[#21]
i HAVE A 1032 PRINTED COPY OF A BOOK CALLED 50 STORIES OF THE GREAT WAR . THE STORY OF THE FIRST TANK ON TANK ENGAGEMENT BEGINS WITH THE NARRATOR DESCRIBING THE SOUND OF THE CROWS THAT WERE CHOKED BY THE CHLORINE GAS . hE SAID THEY MORE CROAKED THAN CALLED.

SINCE WE ARE TAKING CREEPY STORIES- AFTER THE Orlando NIGHT CLUB SHOOTING ENDED THE DETECTIVES ON THE SCENE WERE NOT ALLOWED TO TOUCH ANYTHING & THEY HAD TO TALK OVER THE DOZENS OF CELL PHONES RINGING FROM THE PILES OF CORPSES  calls from family & friends trying to find if they're love one was OK

In North Tanzania  in WW1  the Germans had a trench line  on the foot hills of KilimanjaroThe brits gathered what horses they could & charged the lines   the attack was stopped after 400 yards not by machine guns but buy lions stalking the horses & riders.

the southern contingent and bitter street-fighting by the harbor force. The Gurkhas of the Kashmiri Rifles and the 2nd Loyal North Lancashire Regiment of the harbour contingent made good progress; they entered the town, captured the customs house, and Hotel Deutscher Kaiser and ran up the Union Jack. But then the advance was stopped.[10] Less-well trained and equipped Indian battalions of the 27th (Bangalore) Brigade scattered and ran away from the battle. The 98th Infantry were attacked by swarms of angry bees and broke up. The bees attacked the Germans as well, hence the battle's nickname.[11] British propaganda transformed the bee interlude into a fiendish German plot, conjuring up hidden trip wires to agitate the hives
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:50:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah, didn’t Hiram Maxim say something like that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like a good way to end a war quickly
Except it didn't.
Yeah, didn’t Hiram Maxim say something like that?
Yeah, didn’t Richard Gatling say something like that?
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

agree
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think that I gave them a tiny bit of understanding when I described the horror of it all to them.

But no amounts of telling can stifle the need for us to recognize that IT MUST NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I try to explain the gruesome and epic scale of death and destruction associated with WWI to my students but most have difficulty really placing that into perspective.
I think that I gave them a tiny bit of understanding when I described the horror of it all to them.

But no amounts of telling can stifle the need for us to recognize that IT MUST NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN.
It might make us feel good about ourselves to say it must never happen again, but it will.  Human nature is not so easily changed.  The best way to keep wars short and infrequent is to be prepared and willing to win them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would say it was arguably more legitimate, as it affected only soldiers engaged in warfare.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean like us until Russia made there own bomb.....
Except both Hiroshima and Nagasaki had legitimate military value.

It was absolutely right for us to use the A-bombs, many times over.

Oookay then.
I would say it was arguably more legitimate, as it affected only soldiers engaged in warfare.
Gas targeted only soldiers, but in the long term accomplished little apart from adding another dimension of misery to the war.  The atomic bombs targeted military and civilians indiscriminately, but arguably saved many more lives than they took by helping convince a fanatical enemy to surrender.  The moral calculus of war is not as simple as some would like it to be.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've always been fascinated by this topic, mainly because the Army dumped unspecified munitions offshore in one of my favorite fishing grounds. There was so much of this crap around after WWII that all the countries on both sides loaded entire ships with the stuff, towed them offshore and scuttled them.  The Brits alone sank over 20 freighters full. They dumped over two million tons of mixed munitions right off their coast.

There is still a bunch around, An arsenal in Kentucky is still destroying WWII mustard gas stockpiles.

Here's a story with an interactive map. dump sites.
View Quote
That's interesting.

Scary
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Nobel said the same thing as he invented smokeless powder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, didn't Hiram Maxim say something like that?
Nobel said the same thing as he invented smokeless powder.
"It occurred to me that if I could invent a machine  a gun  which could by its rapidity of fire, enable one man to do as much battle duty as a hundred, that it would, to a large extent supersede the necessity of large armies, and consequently, exposure to battle and disease [would] be greatly diminished."

- R.J. Gatling
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Gas targeted only soldiers, but in the long term accomplished little apart from adding another dimension of misery to the war.  The atomic bombs targeted military and civilians indiscriminately, but arguably saved many more lives than they took by helping convince a fanatical enemy to surrender.  The moral calculus of war is not as simple as some would like it to be.
View Quote
Gas would have been used on civilians in World War One if there had been a good way to deliver the gas.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The US was cranking out mustard gas artillery shells.
So many were left at war's end that they just buried them - in the area of Maryland near Washington, DC. Construction crews over the past few decades keep digging them up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had the French, Brits, or even Americans perfected gas first, they likely would have used it sooner. War is horrific.

Think about the USA dropping atomic bombs on cities in Japan. Evil. It was a necessary evil.
The US was cranking out mustard gas artillery shells.
So many were left at war's end that they just buried them - in the area of Maryland near Washington, DC. Construction crews over the past few decades keep digging them up.
In WWII an American ship loaded with mustard gas was bombed in an Italian port, causing casualties from the mustard gas.  So we were even considering its use in that war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_John_Harvey
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#31]
The Father Of Poison Gas - Fritz Haber I WHO DID WHAT IN WW1?
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Attack of the Dead Men (Strange Stories)

Sabaton - Attack Of The Dead Men [Lyric Video]
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#33]
some of you might find this interesting. Also, occurred just outside Ypres, Belgium in a little town called Wijtschaete (Whitesheet).

This week more than 80 soldiers who perished during the Great War will finally be laid to rest with full military honours close to where they fell on the Western Front.
View Quote
News Article-https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7541961/The-Pompeii-World-War-Remains-110-soldiers-Belgian-field.html?fbclid=IwAR1Dc8WlskO4kSbw6MR_luaWSx6zgR0vSEyJhjn5vIxcUGsx7i_x0EPZwFY

To follow the old, but not yet archived thread on the DigHill80 project-which i happened to help out in on 2 trips, see https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Official-Dig-of-WW1-German-Trench-in-Wijtschate-Belgium-Last-Day/5-2061221/
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In WWII an American ship loaded with mustard gas was bombed in an Italian port, causing casualties from the mustard gas.  So we were even considering its use in that war.

View Quote
The Army wanted to have gas on hand in case the Germans used it, so we could retaliate immediately.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Probably kept on standby for retaliatory use in case the other side started using it.
ETA:  Didn't refresh before posting.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#36]
You just want to fight a nice war?
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You just want to fight a nice war?
View Quote
I think it's a civil war.

"Pardon me."
"Yes, my good man?"
**BOOM**
"I'm awfully sorry about that."
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top