BCM
User Panel

Page / 769
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Last night

Last week

I'm back to 3 plates on bench too.

Those ropeless jump ropes look interesting.

I recently got a three pack of adjustable jump ropes for all of us. My daughter is 2 and son is 4. I figured on cold nasty days o could pull the cars out of the garage and we could go burn off some energy. I just haven't had to much time with it but my son is getting it. My daughter just runs around with it.

I got the motivation for it from that crazy blond on YouTube. I figured my wife would like it too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#2]
You ready?! ?????? #jumprope #footwork #tricks #dance
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 11:21:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grady] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Broke thread fell off my subscriptions
View Quote

I was wondering where you’d been. Still hitting big numbers? Never mind…just saw your videos. Nice job.

Life’s been fucked up since November so I haven’t been able to lift at all. Just when I was really hitting some big maxes, too. First time in nearly 5 years that I’ve had a significant layoff. Sucks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 1:51:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By grady:

I was wondering where you’d been. Still hitting big numbers? Never mind…just saw your videos. Nice job.

Life’s been fucked up since November so I haven’t been able to lift at all. Just when I was really hitting some big maxes, too. First time in nearly 5 years that I’ve had a significant layoff. Sucks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You'll get it back. Late last summer I was doing great then got CV. It wasn't horrible but it took a month or 2 to feel 100%> then in Nov -dec I was picking up some doubles which threw off my schedule.

Last 5-6 weeks I've been on it and feeling better
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:
Oh boy. My wife turns 39 this week.

She wants to do something that requires discipline and time before turning 40 so she's decided that she wants to lose 40 lbs.

I told her that's a great goal, but we need to be pragmatic about it. Aim for 40, but be happy with 30+, that way if there's a stall there's less pressure.

We've gone through this before after the first kid, she's capable, but it requires that I steer it. I've bulked and cut successfully more than once, I hate it, but I can pull it of. My wife tends to be less disciplined, so last time I had to basically do all her meal prep for her.

She is also the type of person that needs hard start and end dates to things, she can't just resolve to do something and then wander off and start doing it. That's how I am and it drives her crazy because "You don't have a plan!". Fuck the plan, lets just start and see what happens.

I think I'm going to create a 4 week approach to it for her, with clearly defined starting points to get her into the swing of it.

I'm thinking weeks 1-2, no calorie counting or meal timing, the only change will be cutting soda, and replacing that daily Pepsi with a caffeine pill. This will be a hard step for her, she's done it before in the past and dropped 10 lbs rapidly just from cutting soda, but she's an addict.

Weeks 3-4, after having time to adjust to the shock of losing her favorite thing in the world, start with IF with an 8 hour feed window from 11am - 7pm.

Weeks 4-12, begin tracking macros and calories and adjust for a 3 month goal weight.

Week 12+, re-adjust calorie goals based on progress, and maybe dabble with ketosis for a month or two (big maybe, she doesn't like fatty meat).

She does spin class at work, but I'm really thinking of getting her a peloton bike so she has access to classes daily, and can more easily track them (a little more accountability). Either that or I just make it a goal to take her for a walk on the days she doesn't spin. We may have to start getting up early to workout (I typically do my workouts in the afternoon, I'm not a good morning workout guy).

When we've gone through this in the past, really the best way I can get her to stick with something is to show her how easy it is by doing it too.

She pissed me off one time after our oldest was born because she quit soda and said "You have coffee, you just don't get it" I quit coffee that day and stayed off it for 6 months....she didn't like that "I told you so", but it drove the point home, that it's just a little willpower.

I anticipate turbulence around week 8, because that's when the scale will show some progress, but her body might not yet, plus you get that 8 week itch that "It's not working" or "Something else could work better".

I've tried to get her to lift weights with me in the past, but she hates it, so I'm not going to push it. Maybe I can get her to do a loaded carry day with me once a week though.
View Quote

How long before the arf curse thread in team

Link Posted: 2/9/2023 2:24:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GUNGUY148] [#6]
View Quote

I thought you were mad at us
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Last night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amMqUgpZW60
Last week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DDTraPkA-E
I'm back to 3 plates on bench too.

Those ropeless jump ropes look interesting.

I recently got a three pack of adjustable jump ropes for all of us. My daughter is 2 and son is 4. I figured on cold nasty days o could pull the cars out of the garage and we could go burn off some energy. I just haven't had to much time with it but my son is getting it. My daughter just runs around with it.

I got the motivation for it from that crazy blond on YouTube. I figured my wife would like it too.
View Quote

Strong AF bro.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm already fucking with my plan.

Pull day just seems like busy work, I can't get as much as I want out of it, I can easily tuck that work in between sets on Squat day and OHP day and get more frequency in...so that's what I've been doing.

That gives me Squat, OHP, Rest.

So far, they are incredibly satisfying workouts, knowing that after I hit that 25th rep for the day's lift...I'm out, time for pizza.

Squat is moving nicely, OHP is gonna fight me, I'm hoping the frequency keeps it moving.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 5:50:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 03RN] [#9]
Originally Posted By GUNGUY148:

View Quote

Strong AF bro.
View Quote

No, not mad. SCW did a wellness check on me last time I lost my sub. Lol. Speaking of, I need to send him a text since he got banned

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

We have similar Youtube feeds.  Trying to break the habit of watching her YT Shorts... it's not going well.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#11]

No, not mad. SCW did a wellness check on me last time I lost my sub. Lol. Speaking of, I need to send him a text since he got banned

Thanks
View All Quotes

Strong AF bro.

Thanks

I asked about him a few pages ago and got crickets.

What did he get banned for?
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

Strong AF bro.

Thanks

I don't remember
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Has KaiK been around?

Haven’t heard anything from him in a while.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 10:46:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Has KaiK been around?

Haven’t heard anything from him in a while.
View Quote

Same, hopefully he's fucking around with old German diesels.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 10:47:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Thanks
View All Quotes

Strong AF bro.

Thanks

Damn, didn't realize he got the hammer
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Switched from low bar to high bar and my hip wasn't bothering me. Got 317.5 for 9.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MAbowhunter:
Switched from low bar to high bar and my hip wasn't bothering me. Got 317.5 for 9.
View Quote

Solid
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I almost went for 10 and I'm glad I didn't, as soon as I got out from under the bar my ass was on the box and I couldn't get up for a minute.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 3:02:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#19]
I think I actually hate the fitness/diet industry, it's warped people's minds.

I'm confident my wife will do just fine, her daily calorie goal is currently 1200 and we are going to hold it there for several weeks. Most sugar has been cut out.

I said today "How about burgers for supper, but we can use lettuce instead of buns to wrap them"

She goes "Everything I've been reading says the beef isn't good for losing weight, I should be eating chicken and fish"

When asked why, no answer, the articles written by fat people don't explain it, they just claim it.

That's twice this week I've heard that. My inlaws told me they didn't want any beef because "We've cut most of the fats from our diet, beef is unhealthy"....Dammit. I was trying to give them some of my surplus burger and roasts. Better keep eating yogurt filled with sugar and breaded chicken strips...They have struggled with their weight for a long time (but are much much better now, despite some odd choices).

I feel like a buoy of reason in a sea of chaos. They've all seen me jump up and down 40 lbs in weight....at will, by just manipulating the numbers. It's just a numbers game. When you want the subtraction part, cut carbs and have a calorie ceiling for the day, eat lots of protein and fat.

So...we're having burgers for supper.

The good news. I think she might squat with me later. I'll give her an empty bar and start on on a 5x5 progression.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#20]

I'm confident my wife will do just fine, her daily calorie goal is currently 1200 and we are going to hold it there for several weeks. Most sugar has been cut out.

I said today "How about burgers for supper, but we can use lettuce instead of buns to wrap them"

She goes "Everything I've been reading says the beef isn't good for losing weight, I should be eating chicken and fish"

When asked why, no answer, the articles written by fat people don't explain it, they just claim it.

That's twice this week I've heard that. My inlaws told me they didn't want any beef because "We've cut most of the fats from our diet, beef is unhealthy"....Dammit. I was trying to give them some of my surplus burger and roasts. Better keep eating yogurt filled with sugar and breaded chicken strips...They have struggled with their weight for a long time (but are much much better now, despite some odd choices).

I feel like a buoy of reason in a sea of chaos. They've all seen me jump up and down 40 lbs in weight....at will, by just manipulating the numbers. It's just a numbers game. When you want the subtraction part, cut carbs and have a calorie ceiling for the day, eat lots of protein and fat.

The good news. I think she might squat with me later. I'll give her an empty bar and start on on a 5x5 progression.
View Quote

Ancel Keys and his fabricated “research” have done more harm to the health and longevity of the human race than anybody I can think of.

When you see the GD threads lamenting the difference between the healthy, slim people in the 70s and earlier as compared to the diabetic, diseased, land whales walking around today, it’s his fault. Your in-laws were force fed his bullshit for decades.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Ancel Keys and his fabricated “research” have done more harm to the health and longevity of the human race than anybody I can think of.

When you see the GD threads lamenting the difference between the healthy, slim people in the 70s and earlier as compared to the diabetic, diseased, land whales walking around today, it’s his fault. Your in-laws were force fed his bullshit for decades.
View All Quotes

I just go through the same cycle with them and with my mother.

They want to know what will work for cutting fat, so I tell them, and they don't like it so they don't listen.

I even told to my mom one time "Look mom, I put on 30 lbs last year because I wanted to, then I lost 20 because I wanted to, and I'm not fat...do you want to have the same results that I have?"

I was given a non answer, because she doesn't want to cut sugar and some of the other carbs out, she doesnt want to do IF and only get to eat between 12 and 6pm, she doesn't want to lift heavy weights, or even her own weight.

She wants a fad diet, and to run on the treadmill, and then it will be okay to have ice cream after supper each night.

My brother in law at least gets it, but his job stress right now is winning. He started doing IF a few years ago and lost a ton of weight, got taken off his diabetes meds, and felt a lot better. He's slacked on his running (but still fits it in) and is drinking more beer now...his feeding window is larger too.

I offered the other day to let him take my extra barbell and about 150 lbs of weight so he could start lifting a little, I told him all he would need is the clean and press, the deadlift, anything else that can be done from the floor, just do it heavy a few times a week and it would kick start his weight loss again....wouldn't commit to it.

It seems like more and more I get to use Dan John quotes lately and one of my favorite is "I said it was simple...not easy".

I don't want to squat heavy today, it's gonna suck. Simplest thing in the world....but it's not easy. I do it because I'm obligated to myself be strong and in shape.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:14:07 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

There's about a dozen office women at work, only two of them aren't mayotankers and those two are definitely overweight. The way they eat is appalling, they don't even attempt to not be a fat ass.

About a year ago I was eating a giant plate of burgers and brats for lunch. One of them made the comment " how can you eat like that and stay skinny?" As a 230# guy I was slightly offended at being called skinny, but it really just showcased how   fucked the mainstream American diet is.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#23]

There's about a dozen office women at work, only two of them aren't mayotankers and those two are definitely overweight. The way they eat is appalling, they don't even attempt to not be a fat ass.

About a year ago I was eating a giant plate of burgers and brats for lunch. One of them made the comment " how can you eat like that and stay skinny?" As a 230# guy I was slightly offended at being called skinny, but it really just showcased how   fucked the mainstream American diet is.
View All Quotes

Before supper last night I asked how many calories my wife had left.

I made a single patty burger with sharp cheddar, and she had a cup of whole milk with it. We ate them on lettuce instead of buns (I had 3 burgers...)

We went over the calories after supper and she goes "What the hell...that maxed me out...now I can't have a snack later"

No shit, that was the plan, supper is the last meal of the day, not the snacks before bed time.

She knows how to do this, we've done it before, but the habits are so hard to break. I knew this was going to be as much my project as it is hers, we'll get through it though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

Yep. Ancel keys, the food pyramid, and lucky charms being healthier than eggs has helped destroy the well being of America.

Despite all the hand wringing you hear I think modern times is better times than it's ever been in history. The fatness of America takes away from that though, but it sure makes it easy to stand out from the crowd.

I travel a lot, coastal areas and western cities seem to be about 5 bmi points below flyover county. I wish that trend was more prevalent.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#25]

I made a single patty burger with sharp cheddar, and she had a cup of whole milk with it. We ate them on lettuce instead of buns (I had 3 burgers...)

We went over the calories after supper and she goes "What the hell...that maxed me out...now I can't have a snack later"

No shit, that was the plan, supper is the last meal of the day, not the snacks before bed time.

She knows how to do this, we've done it before, but the habits are so hard to break. I knew this was going to be as much my project as it is hers, we'll get through it though.
View All Quotes

It's amazing how fast they add up, especially with that glass of whole milk.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

It's funny. When you're cutting it's always "Fuck, I'm out of calories for the day" and when you're bulking it's "Fuck...I have to eat more before bed time". The grass is always greener on the other side I guess.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#27]
The Highland Games organizer got back to me.

They don't run a novice class...it's just a free for all.

He is going to get me a few names of throwers close to me. I'll reach out and see if I can get an idea of what the hell it's all about and what kind of strength standards they recommend.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#28]

It's funny. When you're cutting it's always "Fuck, I'm out of calories for the day" and when you're bulking it's "Fuck...I have to eat more before bed time". The grass is always greener on the other side I guess.
View All Quotes

That's no joke, I really hate the whole bulk/cut phases. Im going to recomp forever.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:46:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Pulled 455x8 ooh fucking rah
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

I bet you hit 6 plates by summer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

I'm usually pretty close to the 1 rep max calculators. 455x9 gives me 585x1 so I'm on track. That'll be nice. I haven't done that in like 15 years.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:55:56 PM EDT
[#32]

I'm usually pretty close to the 1 rep max calculators. 455x9 gives me 585x1 so I'm on track. That'll be nice. I haven't done that in like 15 years.
View Quote

Do you plan to do any meets? You'd do pretty well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

I don't think I even own that much weight...

Maybe a shit load of 25's and 10's.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#34]
I was poking through my logs, which are really just stacks of printed out sheets that I keep adding to each year.

I should plot my strength compared to number of children in the house....there would be a noticeable inverse relationship.

I saw a pull of over double bodyweight from when my oldest was a baby...I don't even remember that training cycle, but it looks like I had a good deal of volume and was decently strong.

As we get into the second kid coming along that curve really starts to drop off on me, with lots of training gaps and my bodyweight tanking.

I'm struggling with what used to be my 5's week in the squat right now...doesn't feel great...I mean I feel really good, it just doesn't feel good to have to fight my way back up.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

I was thinking about it last summer. There were a few in the fall but then I got COVID and while it wasn't "that" bad my lifting suffered. If I can keep this going through the summer I might do a fall meet. I've got a neighbor who's pretty close strength wise and we train well together but our schedules are conflicting. He won a couple bodybuilding shows last year and I think we was talking about doing something else this year. I just forget what.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

I think we only have 365 here with some chains. If I do back at home it's high reps.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#37]
As if to reinforce my previous post, the universe got me.

I was in middle of my second set of presses this afternoon when my wife called....youngest threw up at school, had to go pick her up.

So I put pants on and ran down to get her.

A 25 minute rest period between sets really helps you tackle that 3rd set.

Then in the middle of set 4....phone call from the dealer telling my they can't complete the service I dropped my truck off for.

That made me mad enough to really hit that 5th set hard.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Damn son
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#39]

I was in middle of my second set of presses this afternoon when my wife called....youngest threw up at school, had to go pick her up.

Then in the middle of set 4....phone call from the dealer telling my they can't complete the service I dropped my truck off for.

View Quote

Dealing with sick kids and dealerships......that's brutal.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#40]
We're remodeling an office and making it ADA compliant, I worked 15 hours today and I'm beat. Tomorrow should be about the same.

I'll probably lift again next week.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 1:56:09 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Why you're youngest throw up? Stomach bug? Wash your hands.

The admission dept scheduled a 2300 admission at 2130. Fuck. I typically leave at 2300 if there's nothing going on.
Fuck. Should I wait in my office and hope he's on time? I can slam out an admission fast.

Fuck it. I'll bring my laptop to the gym and wait there while I lift.

Thank God because he wasn't there by 0000 so I could go home and I had a killer chest workout.

I brought each hand 4" closer in and kept short breaks. Absolutely gnarly pump.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 1:56:42 AM EDT
[#42]
We're remodeling an office and making it ADA compliant, I worked 15 hours today and I'm beat. Tomorrow should be about the same.

I'll probably lift again next week.
View Quote

Grind it out
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:37:06 AM EDT
[#43]

The admission dept scheduled a 2300 admission at 2130. Fuck. I typically leave at 2300 if there's nothing going on.
Fuck. Should I wait in my office and hope he's on time? I can slam out an admission fast.

Thank God because he wasn't there by 0000 so I could go home and I had a killer chest workout.

View All Quotes

That one has a habit of throwing up regardless of the illness.

Looks like strep throat, a bunch of kids went home with it this week.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 12:11:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Fucking getting old sucks. Injury, recovery, is serious. I really need to get my food-supplements under control. And probably get my blood tested again. Where can I get some high and test again    

I'm 52, 5' 9" ish and 180 now.

Last week-
week 3 numbers
Squat 245 - 7 reps
Bench 225 - 9 reps
Press 125 - 9 reps
Deadlift 260 - 7 reps

Week 4 this week, took the week off. Major knee issue and swelling and pulled a muscle (chronic 20 year isssue) in my back. I need to temper the really heavy sets. Maybe a 8|5|3 type cycle

Good news, my son is still progressing well. He'll probably catch me in 4-6 cycles and is 19.

I think I will slow my progress some and focus on lighter weight and more reps for a while. I need to also add in more cardio.

This year goals:
Hit squat 315, Deadlift 360, Bench 285, Press 165, ROW 225
Weigh 168 bf at 12-14%
Get my fight cardio back (several decades of MA training)
Bonus - hit that mythical 1000 lb club, missed it by 40 pounds when I was 45.

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Sader762:
Fucking getting old sucks. Injury, recovery, is serious. I really need to get my food-supplements under control. And probably get my blood tested again. Where can I get some high and test again    

I'm 52, 5' 9" ish and 180 now.

Last week-
week 3 numbers
Squat 245 - 7 reps
Bench 225 - 9 reps
Press 125 - 9 reps
Deadlift 260 - 7 reps

Week 4 this week, took the week off. Major knee issue and swelling and pulled a muscle (chronic 20 year isssue) in my back. I need to temper the really heavy sets. Maybe a 8|5|3 type cycle

Good news, my son is still progressing well. He'll probably catch me in 4-6 cycles and is 19.

I think I will slow my progress some and focus on lighter weight and more reps for a while. I need to also add in more cardio.

This year goals:
Hit squat 315, Deadlift 360, Bench 285, Press 165, ROW 225
Weigh 168 bf at 12-14%
Get my fight cardio back (several decades of MA training)
Bonus - hit that mythical 1000 lb club, missed it by 40 pounds when I was 45.

View Quote

With those numbers I bet your real close to 1000# as it is. Testing it may not be the best idea though.

You're definitely better off than 95+% in your age bracket, good job and good on you for helping get your son strong.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:48:41 AM EDT
[#46]

With those numbers I bet your real close to 1000# as it is. Testing it may not be the best idea though.

You're definitely better off than 95+% in your age bracket, good job and good on you for helping get your son strong.
View Quote
Thanks, you're right, I may be close to the 1000 goal. But I don't plan on testing 1 rep maxes anytime soon. No real reason to push that hard.

I'm having a blast lifting with my son. At 19, if he keeps it up he'll get some solid numbers over these formative years.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 2:04:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks, you're right, I may be close to the 1000 goal. But I don't plan on testing 1 rep maxes anytime soon. No real reason to push that hard.

I'm having a blast lifting with my son. At 19, if he keeps it up he'll get some solid numbers over these formative years.
View All Quotes

Absolutely
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 2:06:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Worked up to 3 sets of 2 at 405 with squats tonight.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 8:45:46 AM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

That's great, my son is 18 and lifted with me for a while. Now he's a senior in HS and works 3 jobs so there's little time for lifting. I'm very proud of his work ethic, I do miss gym time though.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Worked up to 3 sets of 2 at 405 with squats tonight.
View Quote

And with you we know they were real squats, not just moving the bar half ROM .
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top