BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 769
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

Dang. Do you do a full warm up for deadlift after squats? That's really good for an hour.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jarcese:
Turned 41 yesterday.  Got a good squat day done and 4 goals at hockey afterwards.  I lost on my $20 birthday scratch tickets though

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/473548/Screenshot_20230720-180843_Boostcamp_jpg-2893767.JPG

Dang. Do you do a full warm up for deadlift after squats? That's really good for an hour.

I start my timer when I open the app, so it doesn't include warmup.  I usually do 3 sets of 20 with the bar, then make 90lb jumps of 2-3 reps until I get close to the main weight.  I never warmup for deads after squats and vice versa.  I might do a couple quick reps of 225 if anything.

I'm liking this portion of Bullmastiff.  The sessions go by so much faster than the first 9 weeks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 12:36:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Turned 41 yesterday.  Got a good squat day done and 4 goals at hockey afterwards.  I lost on my $20 birthday scratch tickets though

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/473548/Screenshot_20230720-180843_Boostcamp_jpg-2893767.JPG
View Quote

Why is your deadlift is lower than your squat?
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 12:39:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Broke thread bump.

Link Posted: 7/29/2023 9:11:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By grady:

View All Quotes

It's not.  They're paused deadlifts at RPE 6 or 7.  The deadlift day is similar to what I posted for squat day.  The deadlifts on squat day are not supposed to be super difficult and the same for squats on dead day.  Basically it's just to get squats and deads in twice a week without killing myself.

Dead day is:
2 sets of 3 @ 405 and a set of 405 for 5.  Then box squats for 3 sets of 6 reps, RPE 6 or 7, then RDL for 3 sets of 6 reps, RPE 6 or 7 depending on the week.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#5]

It's not.  They're paused deadlifts at RPE 6 or 7.  The deadlift day is similar to what I posted for squat day.  The deadlifts on squat day are not supposed to be super difficult and the same for squats on dead day.  Basically it's just to get squats and deads in twice a week without killing myself.

Dead day is:
2 sets of 3 @ 405 and a set of 405 for 5.  Then box squats for 3 sets of 6 reps, RPE 6 or 7, then RDL for 3 sets of 6 reps, RPE 6 or 7 depending on the week.
View All Quotes

Dead day is:

Got it. Makes total sense.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm backsliding this cycle and it's pissing me off.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#7]
3s week and the only lift I got for 3 was bench, I zeroed overhead and deadlift and got 1 not quite to parallel for squat. I don't know what happened but it sucks. Last week went pretty poorly but I didn't sleep worth a fuck. I don't have that excuse this week. Fucking frustrating.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I just signed up for my first powerlifting meet.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MAbowhunter:
I just signed up for my first powerlifting meet.
View Quote

Where at and when?  I assume you live close by me from when you grabbed those plates from Marshfield.  Not a stalker, just have a good memory

I've been thinking about doing one if it coincides with the end of my program.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 11:39:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Where at and when?  I assume you live close by me from when you grabbed those plates from Marshfield.  Not a stalker, just have a good memory

I've been thinking about doing one if it coincides with the end of my program.
View Quote

PM sent.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Failed 153lbs on overhead press. I push pressed it and almost got the left to lockout but the right didn't make it halfway. I'll have to reset it next cycle.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I got 400.5lbs almost to my knees, I should have gotten it. Fuck this training cycle. It's been shit all month.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#13]
220lbs for 1 on bench. I did something to my lower back last Friday on squats, not super confident I'll hit the top set but will see how it feels. I'm not going to do any of the BBB or accessories next week, just the deload for the main lifts and hope that helps with the fatigue and not sleeping.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like it's contagious.  I'm having a shit couple weeks in the gym too.  Biceps tendonitus, back hurts, heavy weights not moving.  Just keep putting in the work regardless and it will pay off.  That's what I tell myself anyway.... then my self tells me I'm full of shit.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I had bicep tendonitis flare up for a few days last week, couldn't straighten my arms all the way for a few days. I was just showing some of my recent videos to my barber who's also a powerlifter. He gave me a couple little tweaks for the deadlift to try. He said it looked like the bar was starting to go a little forward on me but everything else looks good.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:06:42 AM EDT
[#16]
412lbs for a shitty half rep on squat. Felt strong going into the top set, took a breath before I went down and felt my lower back compress, got halfway and realized I washed going to get it and went back up. Left knee bothered me on the drop set which was much harder than it should have been. Skipped the BBB deadlift and just did a couple sets of 10 hanging leg raises. All in all a really shitty training cycle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 11:21:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grady] [#17]
412lbs for a shitty half rep on squat. Felt strong going into the top set, took a breath before I went down and felt my lower back compress, got halfway and realized I washed going to get it and went back up. Left knee bothered me on the drop set which was much harder than it should have been. Skipped the BBB deadlift and just did a couple sets of 10 hanging leg raises. All in all a really shitty training cycle.
View Quote

We’ve all been there. You’ll get it back next time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 12:33:35 AM EDT
[#18]

We’ve all been there. You’ll get it ack next time.
View All Quotes

We’ve all been there. You’ll get it ack next time.

Nature of the beast. You just can't always get stronger or else we'd all have 800lbs deals .

The trick is to just not backtrack to much or to often.

Get more rest.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Supposed to start prepping for the meet this week and naturally woke up sick on Sunday, still sick today so this week is shot. I was already going to have to skip one deload to time it so I had a deload going into the meet and now I'll have to skip two. Not a great start.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#20]
That sucks.  I got a wisdom tooth and a molar taken out yesterday.  Don't feel like eating and might have to go away for the hurricane.  I'm almost at the end of my program and I don't think I'll be able to jump back in after a few weeks off.

Time off is exponential for me.  One week is fine, but two weeks feels like a month.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Made a half ass deadlift platform. Just a piece of plywood cut to mostly fit the small area in my shed. Should be better than the busted up cement floor I've been deadlifting on. Did something to my heel/Achilles tendon the end of last week, that's been an issue. I can barely get my boot off at the end of the day from the swelling.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:40:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Made a half ass deadlift platform. Just a piece of plywood cut to mostly fit the small area in my shed. Should be better than the busted up cement floor I've been deadlifting on. Did something to my heel/Achilles tendon the end of last week, that's been an issue. I can barely get my boot off at the end of the day from the swelling.
View Quote

Lay a stall mat from Tractor Supply on top of the plywood.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 10:43:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Someone at work told me I was broad today.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I wrote up a spreadsheet today for a bastardized version of Greyskull and Boring But Big.

I was easily my biggest when running the 5x10 volume. It's been several years (thanks children and being self employed) so I've stuck to full body work when I can fit it in.

Because of my schedule I might only get two workouts a week through fall, so I switched the main work to 3x5 with an AMRAP on the last set, with the supplemental work at 5x8-10 with 5 lb jumps when needed.

One week in and I remember how refreshing those workouts are. You give it everything you have on the main lift, then just get your volume in and call it a day.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#25]
First day of meet prep, switched to 3/5/1. I almost passed out on the drop set (60% for 5) of overhead press. Only did 3 of the 5 BBB bench and could feel something in my left shoulder, might have tweaked something when I started shaking before I got the bar into the rack. I'm limited my accessories to one for this cycle and the next. For Monday I just have face pulls. I'm going to do 3 sets of 10 this week then 4 sets next week then 5 sets the week after and go up from 88 lbs this cycle to 99lbs next cycle and do the same thing. I'll cut the accessories after next cycle.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Weak point on the overhead press is definitely at the bottom. I'm going to have to address that after I do the meet.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Weak point on the overhead press is definitely at the bottom. I'm going to have to address that after I do the meet.
View Quote

Incline presses as an accessory maybe? Could help build some of those smaller upper chest muscles that help in the bottom.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Lay a stall mat from Tractor Supply on top of the plywood.
View Quote

Mission complete. All told about $130 in materials.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Incline presses as an accessory maybe? Could help build some of those smaller upper chest muscles that help in the bottom.
View Quote

Maybe. I'll have to look into it further. I haven't done an incline press since I worked out with my dad when I was in highschool.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:02:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MAbowhunter] [#30]
Only got 1 on the 3+ set of deadlifts. I'm going to have to drop the training max. Got 10 and 7 on BBB squat, I'm still sick and can't get  enough air.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Holy cow... if anyone's looking for a deal on bumper plates (or heck, just plates), no idea how long this deal is going to last, but their 260lb and 370lb bumper plate packages are $1/lb with free shipping!!!

I ordered the 370lb set, and they look good! The 45lb plates weigh exactly 45.0lbs. I have NO idea how they can afford to keep this deal going. Just the FedEx from CA to MI for 12 packages (each plate is individually boxed) totaling 370+lbs must've eaten a chunk of the $370).

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BalanceFrom-Olympic-Bumper-Plate-Weight-Plate-with-Steel-Hub-Color-Coded-370-lbs-Set/252870782
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:
Holy cow... if anyone's looking for a deal on bumper plates (or heck, just plates), no idea how long this deal is going to last, but their 260lb and 370lb bumper plate packages are $1/lb with free shipping!!!

I ordered the 370lb set, and they look good! The 45lb plates weigh exactly 45.0lbs. I have NO idea how they can afford to keep this deal going. Just the FedEx from CA to MI for 12 packages (each plate is individually boxed) totaling 370+lbs must've eaten a chunk of the $370).

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BalanceFrom-Olympic-Bumper-Plate-Weight-Plate-with-Steel-Hub-Color-Coded-370-lbs-Set/252870782
View Quote

That is a good deal, big hub too.

I wonder what the durometer is.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Here's another 370lb set for $300.

Hopro brand @ Walmart
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

Good question. I just dug up my old Intercomp Shore Type A Durometer scale (used to use it to check the tires, in my racing days. The meter's never been dropped/abused, but hasn't been checked against a known calibration in many years, so I have no idea how accurate it is, now. That said, it's a simple, spring loaded device).

The plates measured right at 80 durometer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Here's another 370lb set for $300.

Hopro brand @ Walmart
View Quote

That's even crazier, if the quality is as good. Pretty satisfied with the ones I got.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Couldn't get a 400lbs squat, I dropped the training max for squat too. Yesterday I only got 1 on the 3+ set bench but didn't get enough sleep the night before, I'm not dropping that one yet.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Couldn't get a 400lbs squat, I dropped the training max for squat too. Yesterday I only got 1 on the 3+ set bench but didn't get enough sleep the night before, I'm not dropping that one yet.
View Quote

This podcast episode is relevant to your situation.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/weights-and-plates-podcast/id1557830248?i=1000626668678
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#38]

This podcast episode is relevant to your situation.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/weights-and-plates-podcast/id1557830248?i=1000626668678
View Quote

I'll add it to the list. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#39]
It's been a little over 2 weeks and I'm still not completely over being sick. I'm hoping that has something to do with why I'm doing so terrible with lifting. I just tried to do my second set of BBB squats and couldn't get it out of the rack. Very frustrating.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#40]
I've had a little bump on my AC joint for a few months.  I benched on Thursday and was fine all weekend.  Woke up Monday and it's twice the size and hurts to touch.  I can't bench 135 without pain or any weight for that matter.  Looks like I'm wearing a shirt that was left on the hanger too long.  Going for x-rays next week.

I think I'm going to have to join a cheap gym and do machines for a little while.  Luckily I have a camber bar so I can at least do some type of squat.  My SSB lands right on my pointy new bone mass.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Almost passed out on the second set of ohp BBB, got a double and had to rack it, waited a minute and did a single, had to rack it, waited another minute and did another single, just got it into the rack and almost hit the floor. I did rows after without issue. Fucking weird.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Zeroed squat at 340lbs and then zeroed the down set at 240lbs. Got 10, 9, and 5 on BBB deadlift, just gassed out. Being sick really kicked my ass, I have hardly any cardio right now. Got 2 sets of 10 hanging leg raises before my abs wanted to cramp at least.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#43]
141.5lbs for 2 ohp. I had to push press the first one and only brought the bar down to about my mouth before doing the second one. Not full rom but that's something that'll have to wait.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#44]
369lbs for 1 deadlift
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 9:49:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MAbowhunter] [#45]
Failed 225lbs bench, had to dump it to the sides. I got it about half way up before it went back down.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Failed 225lbs bench, had to dump it to the sides. I got it about half way up before it went back down.
View Quote

Glad you’re ok.

Safety pins and no collars?
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#47]
My x-rays came back with an AC joint separation.  Don't know how I did that.  My neighbor/ortho said it's not a big deal since it's low grade and should pull back in line in a few months.

I switched to Bromley's Kong bodybuilding this week to mix and up and give my shoulders a break from heavy weights.

His Bullmastiff routine was great and I only cut it short by 2 weeks which we're just singles so I don't really feel bad for not completing it.  I would recommend it and I'll do it again at some point.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#48]

Glad you’re ok.

Safety pins and no collars?
View Quote

No safety pins and no collars. Pretty pissed, I should have had it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Took 3 tries to unrack 340lbs which was the 3s set, didn't get any of them to parallel. Took 2 tries to unrack 380lbs, could barely walk it out and couldn't squat it. I'm going to have to drop the training max again.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#50]
This passes year has sucked for staying on a program. One interruption after the next…last one was about a month.

Managed to get deadlifts back up to 405x5 today. Gaining on last year’s numbers but it’s still frustrating.
Page / 769
Top Top