Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#1]
It is because they like to buy tires A LOT. Because driving on 2 inches of your tires will require new tires in a short period of time.

I remember the fad of ghetto racers buying real wide rims with a big setback which caused the tires to protrude excessively from the wheel well. Not only was this illegal, much like the current fad of Jeeps swapping axles and not shortening them and/or cutting the fender flare flush with the body, but it created amount of stress to be placed on the hubs and bearings. It would not be uncommon to see a ghetto rig sitting on the side of the road with a busted hub or missing wheel. Note the worn, inside area of the tire.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Camber does not improve road contact on a racecar. Maybe on a mopar or any car that has excessive suspension over-travel but any racecar that's on coils does not rotate enough on compression to require additional camber.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Camber does not improve road contact on a racecar. Maybe on a mopar or any car that has excessive suspension over-travel but any racecar that's on coils does not rotate enough on compression to require additional camber.
View Quote
This is not quite true.
Less body roll, yes, but you get tire compliance as lateral loads increase, causing the contact patch to roll under.
You get more contact patch during cornering without destroying the outside tread, which would be the case if you ran zero camber.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Nothing to do with VW, it's just one of the latest ricer fads.

I see Hondas, BMWs, Subarus, and Miatas all the time that look exactly like that

Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]
VTEC boi!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#6]

It doesn't have ghetto origins though.
The Japanese tuner scene put stretched low-profile tires on lowered cars. When the car is lowered, it creates negative camber. Rather than adjusting it, they add more negative camber which doesn't make any sense. Negative camber helps get more grip through turns, but for show cars, it's just for looks.

Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Re-donk-ulous.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It doesn't have ghetto origins though.
The Japanese tuner scene put stretched low-profile tires on lowered cars. When the car is lowered, it creates negative camber. Rather than adjusting it, they add more negative camber which doesn't make any sense. Negative camber helps get more grip through turns, but for show cars, it's just for looks.
http://speedhunters-wp-production.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/15010018/OK-Fuji-2015-10-1200x800.jpg

https://s.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims3/GLOB/legacy_thumbnail/916x515/quality/95/http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/04/camberjapan005.jpg
View Quote
It allows them to drop the ride height to stupid levels without using smaller diameter rims/tires.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Because people are stupid. No further reason necessary.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Shitty_Car_Mods
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#11]
This is what happens when you step on a hot wheel.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Who remembers the Mercedes F400 concept? Hydraulic active camber.

Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Lowered trucks, lifted trucks, sports cars, actual race cars I understand.

This crazy cambered stuff is just retarded.  Doesn't look safe at all.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Funny I was just looking into all of this the other day. I was concerned my new tires were too narrow for my wheels.
225/70-15 on 8" wheels(too cheap to buy wider for my DD).

Went down the rabbit hole of stance, stretching tires and camber.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Do you even camber toe, bro?

There used to be a v dub that had those crazy cambered rear wheels and he had a big camber toe sticker in the back window. I haven't seen't (lol) him around for a few years, but it always made me chuckle. It must be exciting hitting washboard gravel roads or potholes with that setup.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Stance or VIP.

Basically the import equivalent to lowriders

It started around the mid-2000s in Japan, basically as a more mild offshoot of the old Bosozoku car culture in Japan
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#18]
VWs have had a minor amount of that on the rear wheels from the factory for decades.  I would guess it eats rear tires quicker than other cars.

Seen a few of the flat-billed version around lately, retarded.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's a FU to the DMV and the police.

Wheels/tires can't protrude from the top of the fender, apparently if the top of the wheel fits inside the fender you're good.
View Quote
Since part of my job is ensuring tires meets the governments regulation on tire coverage, here is the requirement.

For OEM's, the side of the tire must be covered 30 degrees forward and 50 degrees rearward.  In Europe, they go by the bulge in the sidewall, in the US it's only the tread that must be covered.  It's also based on the maximum grown profile of the tire, not what is made since there is a tolerance that all tires of a specific size must fit into.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Attachment Attached File

That is awesome!  How are the tires not seated against the rim beads though?  Never seen that before.  Can't see the inside of the wheel to know if it is the same.  Is it a special wheel?  Is it a smaller diameter tire seated against a lower inner lip?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Because having tires last more than 2500 miles is for faggots.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Anything mac-strut based is going to have lots of dynamic camber throughout the steering range, so most will be set with a decent amount of static negative camber so that they're not 5 degrees positive at the outer edges of the steering range.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Anything mac-strut based is going to have lots of dynamic camber throughout the steering range, so most will be set with a decent amount of static negative camber so that they're not 5 degrees positive at the outer edges of the steering range.
View Quote
We built a little bump steer into the rear of some of our FSAE cars, since the tires could take more slip angle at higher loads.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I drive by a house that has one of those pieces of shit in the driveway.  The owner is always underneath it doing something.  How is that fun?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:13:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I think it's just a result of lowering it by just taking the springs/shocks out.  Rather than doing it right which would cost $.  The car is just sitting with the suspension bottomed out.

As to those tires a wheels.  That don't look safe...
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
100% false.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
100% false.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
100% false.
Yup.  Even my 07 Vette has some body roll in a curve(though not very much) as a result GM has some camber in the suspension from the factory.  This is GM's attempt at finding a middle ground between track ans street.

I have specs for a street only suspension set up that will be much less wear on my tires.  Just got to find a shop that will do a custom alignment for me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#29]
A little bit is tasteful, that is too much.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You SAW those.   You didn't SEEN it or SEEN'T it.  

I saw it.  Or I HAVE seen it or I WILL see it or I DID see it.

English...learn it.

Anyway...the only people who think stanced cars are cool are the DROOLING RETARDS WHO DO IT.
View Quote
And people who say "seen/seen't"

Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This is not quite true.
Less body roll, yes, but you get tire compliance as lateral loads increase, causing the contact patch to roll under.
You get more contact patch during cornering without destroying the outside tread, which would be the case if you ran zero camber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is not quite true.
Tread displacement works the other way too though.

In the case of these cars with too much camber, tire tread will displace on the outside wheel during a turn and eat its own sidewall.
If these are cars adjusted for racing, it will just happen faster as the lateral load increases in turns.

Negative camber for racing hard in corners is very specific to the suspension height and loads experienced.

A quick look at some of these cars will simply tell you that the vast majority of them are not capable of the power required for the anticipated load experienced in cornering that their negative camber is demonstrating.

It's conspicuous consumption for the purpose of building credibility in a subculture

shower thought: I wonder how many of these Initial D tool bags actually know what Ackerman is for?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
I understood that reference.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#34]
A little bit of negative camber can actually look good if done tastefully.

But like everything else in life, there is a point of diminishing returns, and people take shit way too far.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#35]
If it doesnt affect you,why bitch about it?

Live and let live.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I thought this individual might have obstructed rear visibility.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If it doesnt affect you,why bitch about it?

Live and let live.
View Quote
Ever seen one of those asshats crash on the freeway or track?

I have.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Cuz it looks charp esee'

Lowering the car the cheap way, probably cutting the springs. Idiots do this because they think it looks cool but aren't smart enough to realize they have destroyed the suspension geometry of the vehicle and you end up with a car that is at the least, a mushy shitbox.
At the worst a very dangerous handling vehicle.

We used to shorten the upper A arm on figure 8 cars and upper right on stock cars, the additional camber helped the tire contact on banked short tracks. The figure 8 cars made left and right turns so both sides were done, the stock cars just made lefties so just the right side was done.
View Quote
You can’t get camber like that by just cutting springs
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:05:22 PM EDT
[#39]
It’s the Harley of the car world. Slow, expensive, and ride like shit.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

We built a little bump steer into the rear of some of our FSAE cars, since the tires could take more slip angle at higher loads.
View Quote
Don't let anyone fool you with all that mumbo jumbo about "suspension geometry" bullcrap. If you have independent suspension the geometry changes every time the suspension travels, the camber changes as a result of the unequal length control arms or it travels in an arc if it's McPherson struts. Do you want uneven tire wear on the inside or the outside? Adjust your camber accordingly outside of factory specs.
Bump steer is a by product of suspension travel, one end of your steering linkage (tie rods) is fixed and the other end travels with the suspension, up and down - it gets longer and shorter creating negative/positive toe (bump steer).
Your going to play hell trying to compensate for any of these conditions on a street car due to varying road conditions.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Different generations do different things to a car.

They are modding the car for their likes.

Like the Bro dozer that red necks drive on the way to the fracking place or the 69 Chevy with slicks on it that I had.

It is a way they can be in the "In" and they are spending their money enjoying themselves.

Guys on here have more battle rattle in the 3 day pack than I wore in Iraq,
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Funny I was just looking into all of this the other day. I was concerned my new tires were too narrow for my wheels.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW 205's on an 8" rim is the hot setup for handling on Miatas. It's also what I run on my RX7 for autocross. 3mm of stretch gives a really solid sidewall.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#43]
A properly slammed and cambered car handles like it's on rails.  Tire life is abysmal though.

The car in OPs post is a caricature of such modifications.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Nothing to do with VW, it's just one of the latest ricer fads.

I see Hondas, BMWs, Subarus, and Miatas all the time that look exactly like that

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x429/Jbwag05/575230_476967955752902_1960430045_n_zpsda9871a1.jpg
View Quote
[ArchieBunker]"  Awe, cheese, Edit!  Dey got da carpet munchers doin' it now!"[/ArchieBunker]
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I thought this individual might have obstructed rear visibility.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/148613/130BD672-7C4C-4E10-9F13-CC03A0B1D283-591160.JPG
View Quote
He is ready to put the hurting on Ben Hur.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

shower thought: I wonder how many of these Initial D tool bags actually know what Ackerman is for?
View Quote
Best quarterback the Cowboys ever had - even if he is gay.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#47]
It's to identify the driver as the moron he is, so that you can keep a safe distance away.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Don't let anyone fool you with all that mumbo jumbo about "suspension geometry" bullcrap. If you have independent suspension the geometry changes every time the suspension travels, the camber changes as a result of the unequal length control arms or it travels in an arc if it's McPherson struts. Do you want uneven tire wear on the inside or the outside? Adjust your camber accordingly outside of factory specs.
Bump steer is a by product of suspension travel, one end of your steering linkage (tie rods) is fixed and the other end travels with the suspension, up and down - it gets longer and shorter creating negative/positive toe (bump steer).
Your going to play hell trying to compensate for any of these conditions on a street car due to varying road conditions.
View Quote
It might blow your mind what a hand full of sleep deprived, red bull fueled mechanical engineers can come up with on a race car.
For example, you can get by with a surprising amount of reverse caster-jacking on a 450lb FSAE car to cut down on body roll without adding excessive roll stiffness...
I built a set of uprights with adjustable caster jacking by moving the pullrod (low mounted dampers/rockers) foreward or aft on the upright.
I also built driver-adjustable rear ARB with tapered Ti blades for the arms, linked by a cable actuated cam, and a detended lever in the cockpit.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Lowered trucks, lifted trucks, sports cars, actual race cars I understand.

This crazy cambered stuff is just retarded.  Doesn't look safe at all.
View Quote
It's definitely unsafe.  Is it too late for me to become a state trooper?    I'd also like to be a driving test evaluator for the DMV, so I can keep some of the fucktards off the roads.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top