Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#1]
It's only a matter of time before this thing is co-opted by some hate group to make a statement about some race, sexual orientation, etc.  It's going to be fun to watch all these idiots who crowed about this so much explain how it totally wasn't just plain old bigotry when they were doing it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The thin veneer of polite society is only that. A thin veneer. A veneer covers things up. It doesn't make them go away.

I am safer in the woods. I moved to the woods to get away from society. I don't have to deal with gang violence, BLM, Antifa, or even Karen neighbors. I literally chose the bears.
View Quote

That's the opposite point you were trying to make 2 posts ago....

Men are dangerous in the woods because essentially things are more dangerous when we are far from civilization....I moved to the woods because I'm safer than in civilization....

I think you've begun to circle.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If it's brown, lay down. If it's black, fight back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This horrible! Don't they know that bears are the cause of 76% of all wilderness assaults and violence? Even thought they only make uo about 13% of the total wilderness predator population?

What are they thinking?

If it's brown, lay down. If it's black, fight back.
 If it's brown, round after round. If it's black, round after round.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's only a matter of time before this thing is co-opted by some hate group to make a statement about some race, sexual orientation, etc.  It's going to be fun to watch all these idiots who crowed about this so much explain how it totally wasn't just plain old bigotry when they were doing it.
View Quote

I understand how demographics work. That factors in.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Men are dangerous in the woods because essentially things are more dangerous when we are far from civilization....I moved to the woods because I'm safer than in civilization....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The thin veneer of polite society is only that. A thin veneer. A veneer covers things up. It doesn't make them go away.

I am safer in the woods. I moved to the woods to get away from society. I don't have to deal with gang violence, BLM, Antifa, or even Karen neighbors. I literally chose the bears.

There aren’t many men wandering the woods.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There aren't many men wandering the woods.
View Quote
That would have been my assumption, but your woods sounds busy as shit.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Interesting.  Change the scenario.  Instead of "in the woods" it now says "in a subway" or "in Gaza" or "along the Mexican border" and witness the howls of racism and islamophobia from the same people who knee jerk the "bear" button.
View Quote

We should start asking these women choosing the bear if they would rather encounter a lone American male or a lone Palestinian male in the woods.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s been over the course of 7 years, mind you.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:22:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Was this a regular bear or a Dancing Bear (TM)?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I think it’s weird that people are surprised by this. Most women have had some scenario where they were scared by an encounter with a man. Most women have never seen a bear outside a zoo.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not 75% of the total men I’ve encountered, but 75% of the men in the woods, yep. One in a car wreck and ran from the cops through our woods, one escaped convict from a prison work detail nearby, and one that got pulled over and ran. He was considered armed and dangerous and was in the area for 4 days before they caught him.

The men are by far more dangerous than the bears.
View Quote

Unless you live in some 3rd world shithole, there's 0% chance that each of those happened on your property or within a dangerous distance.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I asked my wife last night and she said bear. She’s fairly conservative so I don’t think it’s a liberal thing just a woman thing. She was picturing some weirdo hanging out in the woods not just passing a guy on a trail like the most of us  would be thinking. When I asked her if she was just walking down a trail and encountered a man or bear she switched her answer to man. So I think these women are envisioning some hermit creeper that lives alone in the woods.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Unless you live in some 3rd world shithole, there's 0% chance that each of those happened on your property or within a dangerous distance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not 75% of the total men I’ve encountered, but 75% of the men in the woods, yep. One in a car wreck and ran from the cops through our woods, one escaped convict from a prison work detail nearby, and one that got pulled over and ran. He was considered armed and dangerous and was in the area for 4 days before they caught him.

The men are by far more dangerous than the bears.

They all happened on our property.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The thin veneer of polite society is only that. A thin veneer. A veneer covers things up. It doesn’t make them go away.

I am safer in the woods. I moved to the woods to get away from society. I don’t have to deal with gang violence, BLM, Antifa, or even Karen neighbors. I literally chose the bears.
View Quote

FYI, I am not seeking to talk you in or out of any particular point of view. I am just curious...

I understand moving to the woods, i.e., a very rural area, in order to be far from the ills of society.

Where I am a little confused is when you say you chose the bears. Do you simply mean that in your X acres of woods you are more likely to run into a bear than a random human?  Either type of encounter would be quite rare, right?

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Hoe_math is always good at explaining the ridiculous logic of women...

Man or Bear? (The world is a stupid place full of stupid people)
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I asked my wife last night and she said bear. She's fairly conservative so I don't think it's a liberal thing just a woman thing. She was picturing some weirdo hanging out in the woods not just passing a guy on a trail like the most of us  would be thinking. When I asked her if she was just walking down a trail and encountered a man or bear she switched her answer to man. So I think these women are envisioning some hermit creeper that lives alone in the woods.
View Quote

So they aren't picturing 99% of white guys in television commercials for the last 20 years?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:25:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:27:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I personally know a woman who lives in an extremely affluent and low-crime area. She got an IUD after abortion was un-legalized in my state, not because she's having sex with a BF (hasn't in years, apparently) but in case she got raped.

This isn't something I ask about of course, but she can't wait to bring it up in otherwise polite conversation. What can you say to someone like that?

She'd choose grizzly bear, I'm sure
View Quote

I can pretty much guarantee you that this chick is getting pumped by random dudes on the regular.

(she would not want to encounter those same men in the woods, however)
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

FYI, I am not seeking to talk you in or out of any particular point of view. I am just curious...

I understand moving to the woods, i.e., a very rural area, in order to be far from the ills of society.

Where I am a little confused is when you say you chose the bears. Do you simply mean that in your X acres of woods you are more likely to run into a bear than a random human?  Either type of encounter would be quite rare, right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The thin veneer of polite society is only that. A thin veneer. A veneer covers things up. It doesn’t make them go away.

I am safer in the woods. I moved to the woods to get away from society. I don’t have to deal with gang violence, BLM, Antifa, or even Karen neighbors. I literally chose the bears.

The bears have been a daily thing here lately due to the deer feeders. The people have been 3 over the course of 7 years.

The bears don’t worry me. The people do.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hoe_math is always good at explaining the ridiculous logic of women...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSVXbgR4JFs
View Quote

We already established there is zero logic to the decision to pick a bear over a man, but that is a good video.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Who really cares. Outside of sex/procreation women are basically useless to a self sufficient man. Let them have the bear.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
those crafty bastards!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a PR campaign run by The Bears.  They are tired of eating nut and twigs and berries.
those crafty bastards!

Great....now we have another set of "victims"

What month do we not have reserved that we can dedicate to them? January is "National Bear Appreciation Month"??...ok?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
A couple years back now, 21 maybe, the local cops were running a buy and bust deal at a hot spot, sold to a car load of dirt bags.  Then they pulled over said dirt bags, during the stop they ran, of course, hit an officer.  When that happens you just got the attention of every cop in 3 counties.  High speed chase ensues.  The offending shit stains just happen to pick the road my parents live on, got some distance from the chase, realizing the car they were driving was a liability they ditched it out of sight near my parents farm and wandered onto the property.

They confronted my 72 year old mom, and asked for a ride.  She knew something was wrong but of course didn't know the situation.  She made excuses why she couldn't give them a ride, and called both my father and I and the cops.   The crazy thing is she called the local number for the PD, not 911, so the person that answered also didn't know of the chase and situation.  Anyway, she stalled long enough that they got nervous, and disappeared on the farm property somewhere.  The cops chasing them were looking for the car and lost them, I actually had heard about the chase and got there (armed) before the cops.   Eventually the PD desk and 911 put two and two together and dispatched all the cars in the area to the farm.  They looked around took statements and popped smoke.  My dad and I cleared the barns and out buildings.  They eventually got 2 out of the 3 I think.

Crazy shit happens sometimes.

I still wouldn't pick the bear.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Great....now we have another set of "victims"

What month do we not have reserved that we can dedicate to them? January is "National Bear Appreciation Month"??...ok?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Next up, woman or Cougar…

Fake Cougar or Real Cougar….
View Quote

No, Cougar is going too far from the original theme/meme....let's keep it in the bear family.

So, we got your typical "modern" woman now a days or Ursula from "Disenchantment" (who can turn into a bear):

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#29]
How would this scenario fare:

Let's say you have an emergency and you unexpectedly need a baby sitter for your 3 year old toddler.

Would you rather leave your baby alone with a random bear, or a random man?

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No, Cougar is going too far from the original theme/meme....let's keep it in the bear family.

So, we got your typical "modern" woman now a days or Ursula from "Disenchantment" (who can turn into a bear):

https://tenor.com/view/i-feel-great-ursula-jeny-batten-disenchantment-i-feel-good-gif-12522904008460691461.gif

https://tenor.com/view/honey-lick-yummy-eat-netflix-gif-15214972.gif

https://tenor.com/view/lick-licking-taste-curious-jungle-girl-gif-15214957.gif
View Quote

I can't believe I forgot about that show.

Good show.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The bears have been a daily thing here lately due to the deer feeders. The people have been 3 over the course of 7 years.

View Quote

Ok, so the bears are something of a known quantity. They come around to the feed area(s) routinely, and I suspect are somewhat predictable in when they drop by, if they behave anything like the (very few) bears that I have had contact with. This means that you kind of know where and maybe when to expect them, the direction they approach from and which way they head when they leave. You probably take some amount of care in how you approach those areas, etc., all the time knowing that the bears are there for the corn or whatever you feed the deer.

By contrast, if you encounter a human in your X acres of woods, they are out of place and do not belong there, and you don't know why they are there. It might be nefarious or maybe not. I would also be far more concerned about the two-legged intruders than I would be about those bears that are trying to grab some grain.

I would suggest that your specific situation is not the same as what all of the urban liberal women are responding to. They are picking unknown numbers of bears in unknown woods and they have no idea what the bear is after or where they are or how close they are. Maybe I am way off here, but your own personal scenario is somewhat managed and understood, and that is a big difference.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:58:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How would this scenario fare:

Let's say you have an emergency and you unexpectedly need a baby sitter for your 3 year old toddler.

Would you rather leave your baby alone with a random bear, or a random man?

View Quote

Or this scenario:

Her A/C fails in July. She has swamp ass. Would she rather call a random HVAC guy or a bear?

Women are completely oblivious to the fact that nearly every modern convenience was invented by and is maintained almost exclusively by men.

I'd like to see these women live in a mud hut in the jungle so they can show us how independent of men they are.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Everyone thinks they want a bear, until they do a bear thing…
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think it's weird that people are surprised by this. Most women have had some scenario where they were scared by an encounter with a man. Most women have never seen a bear outside a zoo.
View Quote
The same is true for men.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I want to see the results of real women actually choosing the bear.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
you guys gotta get out more.

I had a big black bear stroll across my front lawn a month ago.  He looked hungry.

I had a cub crawl into the back of my truck last year, he was cute and did a very nice job not scratching anything.  Crawled up the tire, stood on the bed rail sniffing for something to eat, tried to dismount but did not stick the landing.  He was so embarrassed he ran off.  All caught on camera in the middle of the night.

I still wouldn't pick the bear.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

They can’t respond because they were killed and eaten by bear in 60 seconds.

Consequences of being fucking stupid hurts.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Ok, so the bears are something of a known quantity. They come around to the feed area(s) routinely, and I suspect are somewhat predictable in when they drop by, if they behave anything like the (very few) bears that I have had contact with. This means that you kind of know where and maybe when to expect them, the direction they approach from and which way they head when they leave. You probably take some amount of care in how you approach those areas, etc., all the time knowing that the bears are there for the corn or whatever you feed the deer.

By contrast, if you encounter a human in your X acres of woods, they are out of place and do not belong there, and you don't know why they are there. It might be nefarious or maybe not. I would also be far more concerned about the two-legged intruders than I would be about those bears that are trying to grab some grain.

I would suggest that your specific situation is not the same as what all of the urban liberal women are responding to. They are picking unknown numbers of bears in unknown woods and they have no idea what the bear is after or where they are or how close they are. Maybe I am way off here, but your own personal scenario is somewhat managed and understood, and that is a big difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct, but the bears on WMAs aren’t vastly dissimilar, and the dudes there are not ones I’d want to run into. Again, for a variety of reasons.

I can’t speak for all the women answering the question. I know why i answered the way i answered, and it is a completely, coldly logical decision on my part.

I still don’t think most of the men getting upset and trying to argue statistics have wrapped their heads around the fact that a lot of women consider rape, torture, abduction, forced pregnancy, death, etc as worse options than just death. And with 1/4-1/3 of women having experienced some sort of unwanted sexual contact, you’re going to be hard pressed to argue that it isn’t a real possibility. And you can’t argue that their opinion of death vs. that other stuff is wrong, because only they get to decide which is worse to them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#41]
We live in a society that confers status upon 'victims'. Women like to believe they live every day with the threat men pose, because that confers status upon them.
How many of the idiots in the video above wouldn't think twice about going to a party, getting drunk, and leaving with a strange man, as long as he was good looking enough?

Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it's weird that people are surprised by this.
Most women have had some scenario where they were scared by an encounter with a man.
Most women have never seen a bear outside a zoo.
View Quote
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They can’t respond because they were killed and eaten by bear in 60 seconds.

Consequences of being fucking stupid hurts.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You are correct, but the bears on WMAs aren't vastly dissimilar, and the dudes there are not ones I'd want to run into. Again, for a variety of reasons.

I can't speak for all the women answering the question. I know why i answered the way i answered, and it is a completely, coldly logical decision on my part.

I still don't think most of the men getting upset and trying to argue statistics have wrapped their heads around the fact that a lot of women consider rape, torture, abduction, forced pregnancy, death, etc as worse options than just death. And with 1/4-1/3 of women having experienced some sort of unwanted sexual contact, you're going to be hard pressed to argue that it isn't a real possibility. And you can't argue that their opinion of death vs. that other stuff is wrong, because only they get to decide which is worse to them.
View Quote
It's the implication that you are safer with a bear than a man that's factually incorrect. Its an understandable emotional answer, I really don't like venomous snakes, they generate an emotional response from me. Same with cave diving....that's a whole bunch of nope.

If I were constantly confronted by snakes or I was frequently cave diving, I'd get past my overly emotional response in short order.  Women are around men fairly constantly....I would think...in western society.   You should be at a point where you can logically place the risk from men in the proper context.  You obviously aren't.    If men were highly dangerous, we'd kill more than 4251 women in a nation of 330 million.  Just for context, that's about half as many people that accidentally suffocated in 2019.  

Are we going to do a bear or grocery bag meme?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Women are around men fairly constantly....I would think...in western society.   You should be at a point where you can logically place the risk from men in the proper context.  You obviously aren't.    If men were highly dangerous
View Quote

We’re also taught that it’s inadvisable to place ourselves in situations where we are alone with men we don’t know are safe. We’re taught that bad things can happen if we do so. We’re told that we should have known better if we do so and something bad happens. If men don’t have the potential to be dangerous, why do women need to be that cautious?

I would say most men in America are great. I’ve spent a lot of time around great American men. But as population demographics and cultural influences shift, the percentage of great American men will go down. And the sad fact is that if you look around the world at large, men are a huge threat to women in many (if not most) of the geographic areas of the world. And it seems like the powers that be are eager to import more men from the areas of the world where they are the most problematic. That will increase the chances that the man you encounter in the woods will pose a very real threat. It’s not that all men are dangerous. It’s that some men are very, very dangerous, much more dangerous than the bear, and you have to be prepared to find those men even if what you’re hoping to find is the friendly flannel-wearing lumberjack with impeccable manners and a savior complex.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Never got why people think this.

There are lots of people of all kinds wandering the woods.  Just resource management workers probably outnumber the bears in places with real woods in almost the entire country.  Then there are recreational people and recreation management, and so on.  I work in the woods and meet them all the time.  I also meet bears sometimes.

The woods are covered in people.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Never got why people think this.

There are lots of people of all kinds wandering the woods.  Just resource management workers probably outnumber the bears in places with real woods in almost the entire country.  Then there are recreational people and recreation management, and so on.  I work in the woods and meet them all the time.  I also meet bears sometimes.

The woods are covered in people.
View Quote

300,000-900,000 bears in North America depending on the source.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

We’re also taught that it’s inadvisable to place ourselves in situations where we are alone with men we don’t know are safe.
View Quote

Yet so many women will hookup with a random Chad and let him pump semen into her vagina.

I guess it's ok if he looks good enough... right?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Bear > USEC
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It’s that some men are very, very dangerous, much more dangerous than the bear,
View Quote

It is true that there are more men on the extremes of the bell curve than there are women on the extremes.

The same drive that makes bad men really bad makes good men really good. This is why more men are in prison than women... it is also why the vast majority of inventions and innovation comes from men.

If you took away the natural drive that men have, you would have less men in prison... but you also would likely not have the modern conveniences that you have become accustomed to. Would you trade all your modern conveniences in exchange for less really bad men? Would you want to live without electricity, HVAC, clean water, paved roads, etc?

We would probably still be living as nomads in tents if not for the natural drive that men posses. Men do things. Women talk about things.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

We're also taught that it's inadvisable to place ourselves in situations where we are alone with men we don't know are safe. We're taught that bad things can happen if we do so. We're told that we should have known better if we do so and something bad happens. If men don't have the potential to be dangerous, why do women need to be that cautious?

I would say most men in America are great. I've spent a lot of time around great American men. But as population demographics and cultural influences shift, the percentage of great American men will go down. And the sad fact is that if you look around the world at large, men are a huge threat to women in many (if not most) of the geographic areas of the world. And it seems like the powers that be are eager to import more men from the areas of the world where they are the most problematic. That will increase the chances that the man you encounter in the woods will pose a very real threat. It's not that all men are dangerous. It's that some men are very, very dangerous, much more dangerous than the bear, and you have to be prepared to find those men even if what you're hoping to find is the friendly flannel-wearing lumberjack with impeccable manners and a savior complex.
View Quote
Of course men have the potential to be dangerous, so do women, so do plastic grocery bags apparently.  

No one in this thread has ever said otherwise. The thing that makes women "choosing the bear" look really bad is the apparent inability to properly and logically asses the relative risk. It speaks to your ability to make decisions and frankly reinforces some unflattering stereotypes about the ability of women to separate emotions and logic.

You have put that on full display in this thread.

You'll keep on keeping on, which is fine. You are persistent. You are free to hang out with the critters, in your oddly busy woods full of men more dangerous than bears.

I hope you stay safe.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top