Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/27/2024 1:40:46 PM EDT
My dad last had a simple reel mower back in the 1970's.

Something like this?

https://www.ama zon.com/GYHZKA-Manual-12-Inch-Sweeper-5-Blade/dp/B0CYLRQ1GQ

Link broken intentionally to keep ARFCOM from selling your data.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Scag Turf Tiger is the minimum recommendation
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I knew that thing was a total piece of shit as soon as my dad introduced me to it in 1966.  My dad wouldn't have if it wasn't.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:47:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I used an old reel mower for the 7 years I lived in Hamtramck and didn't get a gas mower until we moved to the burbs.  It's a decent source of exercise.  You won't curse it unless you let the lawn get overgrown.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I had one when I lived in a house with a really small yard. Took about 30ish mins to cut front and back. I loved it. Very satisfying, and gets you out walking around. No noise. The only downside I could see was if you let the grass get too tall, sometimes it would bind up or you would have to go over an area again. I liked it a lot for a small yard, and would recommend. Not only that, but no oil/gas or anything to break.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Scag Turf Tiger is the minimum recommendation
View Quote

Clearly I'm not looking to sit on my ass here.  If I wanted to sit on my ass & eat cheetos I'd be asking for robot lawn mower recommendations.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:  I used an old reel mower for the 7 years I lived in Hamtramck and didn't get a gas mower until we moved to the burbs.  It's a decent source of exercise.  You won't curse it unless you let the lawn get overgrown.
View Quote

How are they for sharpening?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#7]
The downside is they absolutely suck at cutting tall grass. Wet grass isn't the best either.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I used an old reel mower for the 7 years I lived in Hamtramck and didn't get a gas mower until we moved to the burbs.  It's a decent source of exercise.  You won't curse it unless you let the lawn get overgrown.
View Quote

That's why scythes exist for pre-clearing.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Having actually used one, the downside is they're a pain in the ass and they fucking suck. Other than that they're not so bad.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Pro tip. Set it to scalp height and mow every other day. Controls the weeds and makes the grass like a putting green
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Clearly I'm not looking to sit on my ass here.  If I wanted to sit on my ass & eat cheetos I'd be asking for robot lawn mower recommendations.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Its a joke
He knows it is a bit much for what you are looking for.
You wanted a cheap reel mower
He said buy one of the best most expensive commercial zero turns on the market.
See the funny now?

Think if I wants a cheap laptop for some light surfing while taking a dump and someone suggested to get one designed for graphic design

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I prefer it.

I also have a Dewalt battery powered mower and I've had gas powered.

minimal maintenance and its quiet which is nice.

downside are a narrow cut area and it doesn't do well with sticks or if the grass grows too long.  After heavy wind I'll walk around and grab sticks and I try not to let the lawn get too long
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I knew that thing was a total piece of shit as soon as my dad introduced me to it in 1966.  My dad wouldn't have if it wasn't.
View Quote
The moment the mower could be ridden and had a cup holder for your beer, is the moment
dads stopped making the kids mow the lawn and did it themselves.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How are they for sharpening?
View Quote

I did use a file on the blades at one point and it seemed to work.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#15]
They don't like sticks or pinecone.  If your yard is stick free, get one.

We had a 30ft x 15 ft area we had to mow on base and a reel mower fit the bill perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I prefer it.

I also have a Dewalt battery powered mower and I've had gas powered.

minimal maintenance and its quiet which is nice.

downside are a narrow cut area and it doesn't do well with sticks or if the grass grows too long.  After heavy wind I'll walk around and grab sticks and I try not to let the lawn get too long
View Quote

Ha, yes, a stick in these things is like a stick in bike spokes.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:03:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Its a joke
See the funny now?

Think if I wants a cheap laptop for some light surfing while taking a dump and someone suggested to get one designed for graphic design
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a joke
See the funny now?

Yes, I know it's GD.  Hence my cheap shot @ his cheeto eating ass.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Garbage. My ex had to have a fancy Fiskars reel mower. Got used a handful of times.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#19]
They work great, but you *have* to keep up with the grass; they just lay over long grass.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:07:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like I can order one for fairly cheap, but won't be in til July.  Might have to borrow FW_wife's for the moment.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I use one and a weed whacker for edging my 20' by 20' grass patch in suburbia hell.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#22]
If you have a really small yard and keep up on it could be a good choice.

Otherwise a battery powered mower might be up your alley.

.30 to .50 acre I'd go gas powered.

Anything bigger and riding gas is best.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Most of our neighbors had manual mowers when I was a kid.  The better manual mowers worked okay for people who had nice lawns without weeds. For the rest of us, they kinda sucked.
If I had a small yard, I would consider a battery powered push mower.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#24]
what folks have said about, dont ever let it get too long or its worthless, is pretty much 100% true.  

you have to stay on top cutting.  also if you have lots of twigs and such that fall from trees they are a pain in the ass.  

I'd probably go with a small battery powered mower depending on how small the yard.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:15:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a small front and back yard.  Didn't see a reason to get a gas mower.  I've got it set to the lowest height and mow every weekend.  To sharpen, it is so easy, even a monkey could do it.  This mower is solid and will give me a lifetime of use.

Downside with manual reel mowers is that rocks or sticks will get caught in the blade.  Easily resolved and just make sure the area is debris free before mowing.  Also, don't mow wet grass.

I have a gas trimmer and blower.  I would never go electric if all possible.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I used an old ass one from my grandmother’s garage for my .3 acre yard years ago.  I bet it was from the 1950s.  

It worked well enough and was a bit of exercise.  

If you let it get too long or don’t wait for it to be completely dry, it sucks.  You’ll push about 8 inches at a time and it makes a mess out of the mower.

If you keep up on it, it’s not much more work than a gas powered push mower without drive wheels.  

Looking back, I bet it would have worked better if it was sharpened.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's his schtick.

He's a troll and is best left on ignore.

As already mentioned, they suck in tall grass and wet lawns.

I used one as a kid and also when I was stationing in AK.  Great for small and simple lawns.

Since it relies on motion, they also suck for cutting into inside corners on fence lines.  Need a sting trimmer for that.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I had one from fiskers, the scissor company not the ev company.  It was gear driven and very easy to push.  It also had 1-4" adjustable height and could be flipped for front or rear discharge of clippings.  If front discharge, it was kind of like a mulcher as the already cut grass would get cut again.

It was way easier than a standard non geared reel mower, but was pretty pricey.  I think they are like $300 now, but you won't find a nicer reel mower.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Pro tip. Set it to scalp height and mow every other day. Controls the weeds and makes the grass like a putting green
View Quote
Spend thousands perfecting soil and drainage, don't live where burrowing animals exist, and never go on vacation!

I could see it for someone who wanted to make their 1,000 square feet of grass into a hobby, but for everyone else?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#32]
If they are kept sharp and you don't let the grass get too far ahead of you, they work pretty good..  Not much more work than pushing a gas mower around.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#33]
In this thread we combine mowing grass with a workout.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#34]
You have to mow regularly.   Let it get tall and you are screwed.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:  In this thread we combine mowing grass with a workout.
View Quote

That's kinda the point.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#36]
How small?  They’re not that much fun.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a small front and back yard.  Didn't see a reason to get a gas mower.  I've got it set to the lowest height and mow every weekend.  To sharpen, it is so easy, even a monkey could do it.  This mower is solid and will give me a lifetime of use.

Downside with manual reel mowers is that rocks or sticks will get caught in the blade.  Easily resolved and just make sure the area is debris free before mowing.  Also, don't mow wet grass.

I have a gas trimmer and blower.  I would never go electric if all possible.
View Quote

That's backwards.
I have a .5 acre with lots of trees/hedges/etc and I LOVE my electric trimmer, blower, edger, pole saw etc.

You only need gas for those items if you have a large property.

Went gas Honda HRX for mower though.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I had one when I lived in a house with a really small yard. Took about 30ish mins to cut front and back. I loved it. Very satisfying, and gets you out walking around. No noise. The only downside I could see was if you let the grass get too tall, sometimes it would bind up or you would have to go over an area again. I liked it a lot for a small yard, and would recommend. Not only that, but no oil/gas or anything to break.
View Quote

This.  When first married we lived in a duplex with a tiny yard and a reel mower was the only thing that made sense.   Later we moved to a larger place and I used a gasoline powered mower for the back but keep using the reel mower up front (small yard) because it looked so much better.  

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#39]
I've got a Husqvarna manual reel mower.

They're OK if your lawn is really small and you don't mind mowing at least once a week, maybe more in the spring.

They turn into stubborn useless bitches if the grass is half an inch too long.

I'd go all electric for anything under an acre. I've had a 25" Greenworks mower for five years now no issues. Got the matching chainsaw and blower too.

I've got some 20v Dewalt yard tools too but I can't recommend them. The big-battery Ego/GW/etc. tools are much, much better.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a cool scar on my forearm where my grandmother’s push mower pinched the skin there when I dropped the handle and reached to move a rock out of the way. It looks like a wishbone. I was like 12 or something. The fact that the blade was still spinning after I stopped walking tells me it probably wasn’t cutting anything else but me.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:  How small?  There not that much fun.
View Quote

Google Earth says 110' x 60', w/ a single wide.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:01:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I had the Scott's one for about 5 years when I rented a suburban home with small yard. It was awesome. Quiet mowing. Pretty easy to push, as others have said, just don't let the grass get too carried away between mows.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Been using a manual reel mower for over a decade.  Not the smallest lawn, but I kind of enjoy my 30 minute jog once a week with the mower.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Google Earth says 110' x 60', w/ a single wide.
View Quote

That's probably 5000sqft of grass if there isn't anything else on the lot.

Way more than I'd want to push a reel mower.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#45]
My dad figured the labor was free so why spend on the mower?  None of our yards were too big a push mower was fine as long as it wasn't wet or overly long
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Pros: extremely quiet so you can mow at any time and not disturb anyone.  Grass likes the clean cut, stays healthier, the grass doesn't get damaged as much compared to a normal push mower.

Cons:  If the grass is too tall they just don't cut.  Any tiny little twig will lock the thing up, you have to back the reel up, bend down, move the stick, get it going again, etc, can be a real time sink the first few times you mow.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#47]
A freind of mine growing up had a small yard and his dad got a couple of old ones cheap.     THey were dull and were horrible which was prob why he got them soo cheap.  He had one sharpened which I think cost more than the mower and it was night and day.   It did a really nice job.    Not sure how often you need to get them sharpened and where you even would do so today.    Could be a throw away deal once dull.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Google Earth says 110' x 60', w/ a single wide.

Meh.  I have a teenager on call, I can borrow a gas mower if it gets too high.

The real question is should I spring for an 18-20", or just get two 12"s, one for each hand?  
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They don't like sticks or pinecone.  If your yard is stick free, get one.

We had a 30ft x 15 ft area we had to mow on base and a reel mower fit the bill perfectly.
View Quote

This.  Mine choked on twigs or tree sprouts.  Gave up, went back to gas, then eventually electric.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top