Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#1]
OTF, folder? Dual/double action, single action?

Automatics possess delicate mechanisms, even though some models can hold up to rough use.

Get a framelock folder or fixed blade if you’re truly looking to abuse it. That way you can take mechanical failure out of the equation.

If I had no choice other than an auto, sure I’d use my MT Halo V, but I would rather use a fixed blade for actual abuse.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Protech for side opening, microtech for otf.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#3]
MKT 187 if you want Beef.

No, it’s not a switchblade - they’re overrated.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:09:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the smaller Gerber Applegate/Fairborn that is stout.
You need to hold it well when you push the button.
Seven years old and no complaints.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have an Benchmade AFO II that is big, heavy and seems to be very well made.

It's almost too big and I don't carry it very often.

I have been carrying a Boker Kalashnikov for about 4 years.

It still opens very fast and locks up tight. Just wish the blade was better steel.
View Quote

I have the same knife, and it's a beast. I'd go find a used AFO II before I bought anything* available in today's market, just because I know it'll take years and years of hard use (don't remember exactly when mine was issued, but it has to be closing on the 20 year mark).

*not a knife connoisseur, I just carry what works. In a manual folder..got my Buck 110 when I was 15...it's 45 year's old
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#6]
What does OP mean by "beefy"?

If I was going to beat on one it would probably be the Buck 110 auto
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got a Gerber Auto 06 & it's seems pretty solid.  Price is around $170.  And I believe these were Military issue.

https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/shop/knives/all-knives/06-auto-tanto-serrated-30-000850

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:37:04 AM EDT
[#8]
My Boker AK74 has held up well to daily shop abuse and cost $43 new.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Had mine 17 years now.

OX Forge
View Quote

These have always been solid knives and have a great reputation.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Boker XXL Kalashnikov Bowie Automatic Knife (4.75" Stonewash D2)

Best beefy bang for the buck. $60.

Note: D2 steel 5" blade. 6" closed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

These are the BEEFIEST around..had one and it was a TANK
View Quote

@gqllc - "had one.."  What happened, did you sell it or lose it or gift it...?
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Gerber 06 auto.I have 2.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Growing up this was the knife everyone wanted, but not that strong

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Ox forge    Charlie makes em for the military guys outa mac dill

The Ox Forge Black Knife predates every coil fired automatic knife made - before Microtech, before Benchmade, Dalton etc. These were made to order for the NAVY SEAL teams in Florida as early as 1985 and later hunted by knife collectors for their unique coil fired design and the legend of “The Black Knife" was born.

Stronger by design than the other Italian/German type autos of its day these knives were instantly a hit with elite law enforcement and military special operations community and rarely seen outside of those circles. From the 1st production of this knife to present day you can always find a seasoned knife collector or field user asking, “What is the original black knife?” This is that knife! The features that set the tone for coil fired autos into the next several decades are: T6 Alloy black hard coat anodized handle with non-glare black titanium nitride coated blade, double thick pocket clip gun blued for stealth and Razor sharp hand honed spear point 440C (58RC) blade.

It's amazing - if you hold this knife up to other coil autos and consider the fact that this got here years or even a decade before they did you can see so many features that the other manufacturers have adopted. Dalton's famous clip design with the two-barrel screws - it's on this one and it predates Dalton’s designs. And of course the central auto design that everyone uses made its debut on this knife. All fittings with the exception of the button are blacked out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Microtech. Pretty much everything else is a compromise.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Gerber 06 auto is pretty stout.
View Quote

Came to say this. Been carrying mine for over a decade. S30V sucks to sharpen. May hit it with the grinder at work.

Just hit the mechanism with some oil when ever it gets sluggish. Glass breaker works great as a hammer too.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Came to say this. Been carrying mine for over a decade. S30V sucks to sharpen. May hit it with the grinder at work.

Just hit the mechanism with some oil when ever it gets sluggish. Glass breaker works great as a hammer too.
View Quote

Troll post I hope.  None of this correct.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

@gqllc - "had one.."  What happened, did you sell it or lose it or gift it...?
View Quote

I had it when I lived in Florida. Ended up selling it for an excellent price...sometimes they are hard to find!
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#19]
The Spyderco Autonomy 2 is one of the nicest, if not beefiest, out the side automatics you can buy. In lockup this is essentially a fixed blade knife. It also fires like a damn rocket, much harder and faster than other brands. Spyderco also sells a $15 DIY parts kit so you never have to send it in for service.

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#20]
The DFK Sandshark is what you seek.
It's out of production and goes for Big $$, but it can punch through a 55 Gallon steel drum.
Very Beefy indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEbKF-4yYao

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't know how beefy it is, but I have my eyes on the Pro-Tech Godson(Tuxedo).   I find it quite sexy.

Godson Tuxedo
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 12:24:49 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

I still want one like that, does anyone make a solid one today?  Growing up they were all junky flea market specials.

Sharks for life, fuck the Jets.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Troll post I hope.  None of this correct.
View Quote

not trolling at all. maybe i'm just bad at sharpening knives. gets some lint/dirt built up and sometimes slows down opening. Add a drop of whatever oil is nearby, good as new. and I beat on crap with the glass breaker all the time. knife is well worth the $100 it cost me 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#24]
For a folder you can't beat the Kershaw Launch 1 for a ~$100 knife.  It is sturdy and holds a good edge.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 12:36:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Microtech has been excellent.... multiple torture views on youtube
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I've had everything from Juarez street bought ditch knives to Microtechs.  Here's reality:  Switchblades are a novelty.  End of story.  You're looking for a toy so you can knifesturbate on your couch while you watch the devil's eyeball?  Or a tidy little gent's knife?  Go for it.  They're neat, they're fun, and they're good for that.  But if you're looking for something for serious business or that you can bet your ass on, switchblades are an absolute no go.  Mechanical complications introduce failure points.  I've had springs break in both side openers and OTFs.  I've had locks fail.  I've had failures to open from things as minor as a bit of pocket lint.  I've had malfunctions on clean, well maintained knives for no visually discernible reason at all.  So if you're interested in a novelty or fantasy or the cool factor, go for it.  But for serious work?  Fuck nope.  Go with a fixie.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Severtech
View Quote

Quoted:

These are the BEEFIEST around..had one and it was a TANK
View Quote

This is the correct answer.

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've had everything from Juarez street bought ditch knives to Microtechs.  Here's reality:  Switchblades are a novelty.  End of story.  You're looking for a toy so you can knifesturbate on your couch while you watch the devil's eyeball?  Or a tidy little gent's knife?  Go for it.  They're neat, they're fun, and they're good for that.  But if you're looking for something for serious business or that you can bet your ass on, switchblades are an absolute no go.  Mechanical complications introduce failure points.  I've had springs break in both side openers and OTFs.  I've had locks fail.  I've had failures to open from things as minor as a bit of pocket lint.  I've had malfunctions on clean, well maintained knives for no visually discernible reason at all.  So if you're interested in a novelty or fantasy or the cool factor, go for it.  But for serious work?  Fuck nope.  Go with a fixie.
View Quote

After daily carrying automatic knives for 7 years (ever since they became legal here) I would have to strongly disagree with that statement.

Sure, a fixed blade knife is going to be more reliable and probably stronger than any folder but to say an auto is a novelty is just wrong. End of story.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#29]
my Kalashnikov  is holding up damned well, surprisingly well.

Been my EDC for about 3 years now
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#30]
My gerber 06 is a tank.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

After daily carrying automatic knives for 7 years (ever since they became legal here) I would have to strongly disagree with that statement.

Sure, a fixed blade knife is going to be more reliable and probably stronger than any folder but to say an auto is a novelty is just wrong. End of story.
View Quote

Agreed. End of story, period.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It still opens very fast and locks up tight. Just wish the blade was better steel.
View Quote

I've used mine as a hammer
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I've use mine as a hammer
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've use mine as a hammer

Have the original AFO I carried on duty for over 20 years. I have abused that knife but it held up fine.

The advantage of an auto knife is not in the opening, but the closing. Push the button and close the knife on your leg, especially if your other hand is engaged in something.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Severtech
View Quote
This is the only answer in the thread that matters.

Severtechs are the beefiest of all beefy. A2 tool steel blades.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have several Microtechs and Vespas. I think of them as adult fidget toys. And I love the look on Lefty faces when someone asks me to open a box or cut a peach.

That's all the reason I need.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I just had an Arby's sandwich - the big one. Pretty damn tasty
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had mine 17 years now.

OX Forge

Good luck finding one of those......
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#38]
I saw one in a gun shop recently I think Charlie still makes em…..??
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks guys, I have some looking to do now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Another recommendation- the Boker Kihon is a solid knife with an extremely useful blade shape. I have probably 75 autos and the Kihon is my daily carry. They are extremely robust and cheap; if I lose one, I’ll buy two more. The blade is essentially a Burnley Kwaiken design.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Gerber 06 was the beefiest auto I've owned, you could make a spear out of that thing and kill bigfoot with it  Lost it, really bummed about that.  Have an older benchmade (FBM) that I carry around now, think it is a presidio, but can't remember as it's not with me at the moment (travelling by air and tired of TSA stealing my shit).  I got it on deployment a number of years ago.  Also had an infidel, which is by far the weakest blade I've ever owned.  I swear that thing would have broken opening a pudding pop package
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#43]
I carry a Kershaw Launch 1 side open auto. It has some recoil when you push the button.  You have to have a good hold on it.  It is a good heavy knife that I really like.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Been carrying this for about 15 years, hasn't let me down once. Pro-Tech Godfather.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote
Came here looking for suggestions on traditional italian style side opening stiletto type switchblades.  I know they're not really useful but damn if they don't look cool.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was issued a benchmade Stryker auto, the safety broke, then It got stolen. Never had any problems other than that. Had it about 7 years. Bought a protech/Emerson cqc-7 auto, had it about five years, and I’ve never had a single problem with it… except for the safety not working.
I’ve popped open beer bottles and opened cans, ammo crates etc with both of those knives.
My experience does not mirror yours, but safety’s on push button auto side-folders are stupid.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Microtech Combat Troodon is sturdy as can be. Even the Ultratechs are solid.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

The handle broke in half on mine
Avoid.

For a tough switchblade...
Get a converted BUCK lock back
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#49]
I’ve got two of the Spyderco Coast Guard knives.  They open out the side with authority.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top