Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Pony, they dropped the US market because they lost more in warranty repairs than they made selling the cars.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
long ago, my father got infatuated in the X 1/9.  By the time he got done he had owned 3 of the little skateboards.  Bizarre seating position, but ran pretty well and were sporty.
View Quote
I had one, it was awesome the 1% of the time it ran.......
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#3]
We've got an 04 fiat panda and it's awesome. 52 mpg and parts are so cheap they basically pay you to drive it.  Last year the right front strut froze up. Replaced the shocks, struts, crontrol arms, sway bar end links, tie rods for under $200 in parts.

Link Posted: 9/29/2020 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Pop had one of these when we were kids back in the 70s. It survived a black bear attack in the Smokies but had claw marks in the leather & wood interior for the entire time he owned it. On weekends he had two shaggy-headed boys(Little Brother and I)in the car and we would tear-ass around squealing the tires and driving too fast.

It also spent a lot of time being repaired, but he owned it for 13-14 years before it finally rusted out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How has it been for you?

I've always had a love-hate relationship with them.

Eta.

Looks like in around two years time I'm going to also own a Fiat, sorta.

I just can't rationalize spending 30 grand on a Kia that is basically just going to be a toy for me, it also would drive my husbando nuts, and the true Kia I want to own just simply doesn't exist and the states and importing anything from Korea is a pain what's the exact model is also rare even there.

So I'm going to cheap out and for about 10 K probably have an old Fiat 600 / Zastava 750
View Quote

Fiat? ... I'm sorry for your future headaches. Research "MultiAir" before you decide to pull the trigger.

***Edit*** realized youposted for an older Fiat. Still, no. Just get a Miata or something and be happier-ish.

*** Edit 2*** The new Fiat 124 is actually a Miata... but with a multi air engine. So still Miata from Mazda.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You guys should try the old FIAT PANDA 4X4

I have seen one in completely original configuration and almost 30 Years old bringing uphill on a 25% slope with 6 Hunters and 3 Boars of an average weight of 70-80 kg. The Road was terrible with big rocks and mud.

These thing are incredible.

I Also like the new tipo, it's a good value.

By the way, you know FIAT owns Ferrari, alfa romeo and many other brands?
View Quote
When I was stationed in Sicily the car rental place just outside the gate got some 4x4 Pandas in as rental cars. They didn't last very long in the hands of the young Navy folks that rented them.

They were cool little cars though and got ridiculous fuel mileage.

Link Posted: 9/29/2020 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Fiat?  I'd rather have a Kia, even a less than ideal one.  There's a reason why Chrysler and Fiat were meant for each other in a way Daimler never was.

Get ready to be good friends with Tony.  

ETA:  An older Fiat of known quantity might not be too bad, though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#8]

I’ve owned many X1/9s, Spiders, and the occasional Strada. I bought my first house at 19 with money made from flipping them. I’d still have one if it weren’t for the time value factor. X1/9s and Spiders are fun cars. The problem is wrenching on an exotic takes the same amount of time, although with higher dollar investment, with a greater return.

OP you think you want a “shoe” or a “clown car,” but have you driven them? As a mechanic your options aren’t as limited as most. Although there will be a learning curve for the systems. Midwest Bayless has been a great parts source for me, although it’s been years.

Since you are going down that rabbit hole also look at Alfas and Lancias. Lancia Beta Zagatos and Scorpions are also great fun.

Would you have a problem learning and living with old car quirks and individual car personalities? That is, maybe your car doesn’t like to start when it’s 60 degrees, but is happy when it’s hotter or colder outside?

ETA: If you have a place to put and work on one you should start project shopping. Also, have you ever seen an Opel GT? If I were looking at lower dollar Euro projects I’d definitely look at those.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I put 50,000 miles on a 2013 Fiat Abarth. Other than a plastic piece on the shift linkage it was trouble free and super fun.  My knees and hip just can't take a standard trans in traffic any more.  Often think about getting the auto as my commuter car.  My only advice is buy used with low miles, let someone take that huge price hit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I’ve owned many X1/9s, Spiders, and the occasional Strada. I bought my first house at 19 with money made from flipping them. I’d still have one if it weren’t for the time value factor. X1/9s and Spiders are fun cars. The problem is wrenching on an exotic takes the same amount of time, although with higher dollar investment, with a greater return.

OP you think you want a “shoe” or a “clown car,” but have you driven them? As a mechanic your options aren’t as limited as most. Although there will be a learning curve for the systems. Midwest Bayless has been a great parts source for me, although it’s been years.

Since you are going down that rabbit hole also look at Alfas and Lancias. Lancia Beta Zagatos and Scorpions are also great fun.

Would you have a problem learning and living with old car quirks and individual car personalities? That is, maybe your car doesn’t like to start when it’s 60 degrees, but is happy when it’s hotter or colder outside?

ETA: If you have a place to put and work on one you should start project shopping. Also, have you ever seen an Opel GT? If I were looking at lower dollar Euro projects I’d definitely look at those.
View Quote

I grew up in an air-cooled beetle, so I know about old European car quirks

The reason why I went with the 600-750 it's because of the ease of living with the thing and they are everywhere, they made almost 5 million of them

Parts are everywhere, I mean everywhere, I can get window weather stripping to even fenders, Plus the electrical system is a simple 6 volt with a generator, most don't even have radios, not only that but if worse comes to worse so I can buy an entire new vehicle harness for less than $500

And they made the engine forever from 1955 to 2000. Later ones were single point fuel injected that just bolts on, so I plan on robbing the fuel system from a Cinquecento and converting it from carb to that EFI system, or I might have to rig up something from scratch I don't know.

And as far as Tiny car go I've driven minis 500s and Kei cars, so I have no problem with small, the 600 is bigger than a 500 anyway and is easier to get in and out of than a British Mini.

@BigFatDog
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The reason why I went with the 600-750 it's because of the ease of living with the thing.

Parts are everywhere, I mean everywhere, I can get window weather stripping to even fenders.

Plus the electrical system is a simple 6 volt with a generator, most don't even have radios.

And they made the engine forever from 1955 to 2000. Later ones were single point fuel injected that just bolts on, so I plan on robbing the fuel system from a Cinquecento and converting it from carb to that EFI system, or I might have to rig up something from scratch I don't know.

And as far as Tiny car go I've driven minis 500s and Kei cars, so I have no problem with small, the 600 is bigger than a 500 anyway and is easier to get in and out of than a British Mini.
View Quote

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the FI, just keep the carb, easier to repair, screw electronics on older cars
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Just NO...

Have your Husband beat you & leave your stranded, take all your money and then spit on you...

Pretty much the "Fiat Ownership Experience" in a nutshell...

and as for buying an Ancient old Fiat, you'd have to be COMPLETELY OFF your rocker!
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the FI, just keep the carb, easier to repair, screw electronics on older cars
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reason why I went with the 600-750 it's because of the ease of living with the thing.

Parts are everywhere, I mean everywhere, I can get window weather stripping to even fenders.

Plus the electrical system is a simple 6 volt with a generator, most don't even have radios.

Fuck electronics on Italian cars.  Italians are very good machining parts, forming metal, but they barely can handle real basic electrical in cars. I have built a couple 850’s for people, couple race cars or autocross cars.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I had an '87 Fiat Regata that I paid $300 for when I lived in Sicily. What a piece of shit
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#15]
My mom had a '76 X/1-9.  Brought it back from Germany when we lived there.

Growing up in the 80s, I lost track how many times I fixed that thing.  I could get the engine out in 30 minutes flat.

I even made up my own tools and ways to swapping out parts, just because I had done it so often, and knew the tricks.

You couldn't pay me enough to own anything with the Fiat name on it.  Fix It Again Tony isn't a joke!
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#16]
A customer had a 500, it was a total POS.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My mom had a '76 X/1-9.  Brought it back from Germany when we lived there.

Growing up in the 80s, I lost track how many times I fixed that thing.  I could get the engine out in 30 minutes flat.

I even made up my own tools and ways to swapping out parts, just because I had done it so often, and knew the tricks.

You couldn't pay me enough to own anything with the Fiat name on it.  Fix It Again Tony isn't a joke!
View Quote

I heard another variation on that theme yesterday:

Futile
Italian
Attempt at
Transportation
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 12:01:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The reason why I went with the 600-750 it's because of the ease of living with the thing and they are everywhere, they made almost 5 million of them

Parts are everywhere, I mean everywhere, I can get window weather stripping to even fenders, Plus the electrical system is a simple 6 volt with a generator, most don't even have radios, not only that but if worse comes to worse so I can buy an entire new vehicle harness for less than $500

@BigFatDog
View Quote

I get it. It’s a ubiquitous vehicle. Your most valuable contribution to its value is your tradecraft. Don’t lose sight of that over cheap parts.

300 hours in/under a $3000 vehicle might not be a good store of your labor.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 5:27:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Modern 500 is overweight and bloated compared to the original.

Much like the new vs old mini.

The original mini was designed to seat 4 adults.

I'd take the mini over the 500.

The 600 wasnt much better than the 500

Link Posted: 9/30/2020 5:57:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Was it long ago that it was a Mercedes instead of a Fiat?
View Quote

At least 10-11 years
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 6:34:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't listen to this old guy. Anyone even know what a carb is?
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I get it. It’s a ubiquitous vehicle. Your most valuable contribution to its value is your tradecraft. Don’t lose sight of that over cheap parts.

300 hours in/under a $3000 vehicle might not be a good store of your labor.
View Quote

That's why I'm going to find a nice one I can.

I would not even care if it was pink, I don't want to deal with a rusty project car, I want something that's already done and I'll just modified a bit. So I'm looking at spending more like 7500 or more, if for some reason it's just too much of a hassle that get one from Europe I'm just going to find a 600 here in the states which there's quite a few of some of those come close to 20K but those are kind of a special ones, I'm just looking for the simple one which are 10 to 15k

Honestly id just convert it to a 12 volt system, electronic ignition, fuel injection, aluminum radiator with an electric fan and some sort of dual Master brake cylinder with a tiny brake booster, that's really all I would do to it if by some miracle it came with the a.m. radio I'd keep that to.

That's all I would do to it, maybe stainless steel brake lines to just so I don't have to worry about them in the future, the drums that it has are plenty for such a light vehicle but I can convert it to Tiny discs later if for some reason shoes are starting to dry up.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Don't listen to this old guy. Anyone even know what a carb is?
View Quote

You ever deal with a old Honda cvcc engine? It has 8 vacuum diaphragms!
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I heard another variation on that theme yesterday:

Futile
Italian
Attempt at
Transportation
View Quote

That's the truth!

I would get a call from my mom that her Fiat had broken down.  I asked for the specifics and knew what it was.  Dad would take off from work, come get me and the tools, and we'd go get the part, meet here where she was, and fix it.  

On the plus side, it was a great car to learn how to work on cars, since it broke down so often that I got a lot of experience.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

As far as being a car was the 600 was quite better than the 500 honestly, slightly bigger size double the horsepower and water-cooled is nothing to scoff at

Really both the British mini and the Fiat 500 and 600 were compromised car is dealing with the incredibly crappy time of post-war Europe, I mean even England had to ration food for several years after the war.

Steel was so expensive in Italy for instance when they designed and built the 500 most didn't have full roof and the overwhelming majority of them cloth tops

Post-war Japan was even worse, if people were on bicycles and mopeds before the first real K cars came around in the 60s such as the two stroke air cooled Subaru 360, which is makes an 18 horsepower 500 look appealing.

I will say that even though yes they are bloated the modern 500 and the mini are quite the technical achievement, they can still pass a lot of the crash tests despite they're relatively tiny size compared to regular cars, even modern Japanese Kei cars cant do the same thing, but those are truly built for City only speeds.

@madmacs69
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Well the mini is really an oddity... before the war cars were a luxury item in the UK... post war period people wanted mobility. Up until 1959 that really meant 2 wheels... orange 3 with the bubble car.

Alec issigonis set out to change that... he designed a 4 adult monocoque vehicle that could be produced cheaply. Faced with 2 wheels and weather or 4 adults in relative comfort and no weather to contend with, he won out and brought the "family car" to the UK... the rest is history.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well the mini is really an oddity... before the war cars were a luxury item in the UK... post war period people wanted mobility. Up until 1959 that really meant 2 wheels... orange 3 with the bubble car.

Alec issigonis set out to change that... he designed a 4 adult monocoque vehicle that could be produced cheaply. Faced with 2 wheels and weather or 4 adults in relative comfort and no weather to contend with, he won out and brought the "family car" to the UK... the rest is history.
View Quote

The new versions really aren't that small though...
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/1987_bertone_x19_1544471963cfcd2IMG_6506.jpg?fit=940%2C627

I used to tool around in one when I was about 20. That thing was so much fun.

I keep looking for one, hoping to find one in good shape.

Looked like this, except gold flake paint.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/1987_bertone_x19_1544471963cfcd2IMG_6506.jpg?fit=940%2C627

I used to tool around in one when I was about 20. That thing was so much fun.

I keep looking for one, hoping to find one in good shape.

Looked like this, except gold flake paint.

I had one too.  I bought it when I was 17 years old.

It was fun to drive, but I got damned tired of wrenching on it just to keep it running.  It was an overheating SOB.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I had one too.  I bought it when I was 17 years old.

It was fun to drive, but I got damned tired of wrenching on it just to keep it running.  It was an overheating SOB.
View Quote

I do like them but long-term they are kind of a hassle like a lot of old cars from the In the fact that there is a limited amount of parts for them in some cases.

Take for instance an old Volkswagen Beetle, you can pretty much build one almost completely from scratch, first-gen Mustang you CAN build completely from scratch, but not that old mid-engined Imp.

That's why I'm going with the 600, one, its adorable and two while not having as much ubiquitous Parts as a an old Volkswagen Beetle you can get pretty much everything you would really need for it, including things like seat upholstery and door panels, I mean there's a company out there that still makes front and rear windshield for the thing

Long-term it's just a more livable car
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Kinda
Attachment Attached File

My BIL has a 500 Abarth he got used and has been decent so far. I haven’t driven one yet but want to.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 11:59:56 AM EDT
[#31]
I need more patience
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top