Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I out put out sunflower seed for them, nothing special.  

Every now and again we'll get a Indigo Bunting or a Scarlett Tanager hanging around.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#2]
We live in the hills above the Mississippi River valley in a very rural area. Our property is home to a large amount of wildlife. Yes, we birdwatch.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#3]
It’s not what you watch, it’s how you watch it

Flushing Rooster by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s not what you watch, it’s how you watch it

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51686153416_bc16d490ac_h.jpgFlushing Rooster by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote

I was gonna try to get a colony of pheasant going on my property, but I understand it's darned near impossible to do.  Apparently they don't make good parents.  I have no idea how they survive in the wild...perhaps only a small percentage survive.  We used to see them in Indiana all the time.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Bird watcher since I was young, kept up with it during waterfowl hunting phase.  Silby Guide is a must.

Rarest that I have seen?  For this region it would have to be an Atlantic Brant that was clearly lost one year.  Hung around for a while at local farms and followed the Canada geese around.

Also have as many as three Eurasian Collared Doves that hang around the shop at work. Funny, only see them along the gulf coast with Mourning and White Wing Doves.  Was loading the truck one morning and heard the calling… I stopped and was like what???  Then saw it… three maybe four years they have been hanging out.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:19:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I noticed these little guys are all over the place at night. They don't hoot like a normal owl hoot, they sound like a tribble from star trek. LoL I don't know what sub species they are but they are very tiny, about the side of my cell phone.  Some kinda weido little midget owls. There are 2-3 of them that sit on my bedroom window sill at night and call to each other for a few hours each night.  
These things are surprisingly tolerant of me. I can walk up to one and get to maybe 3 feet away from it before it will even turn and look at me.  they just don't seem to mind being close to humans.
https://i.ibb.co/k88dzdV/IMG-20240616-160226-01.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/ScYVBDB/IMG-20240616-160230-01.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/z5L4HpT/IMG-20240616-160235-01.jpg
View Quote

Looks like the Eastern Screech Owl to me.

The first night I got thermal I went outside to see the world.  First thing I saw was... a bat missing a wing on the ground.  I looked around and saw an Eastern Screech Owl sitting in a tree about 50 feet away.  I went inside to get a headlamp and a box to pick up the bat for the kids to see.  When I came back out the bat and the owl were gone.

Nom nom nom!

I thought thermal had opened a whole new way to witness nature.  I've never seen anything that cool since.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#7]
The window hummer feeders are solid too.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Pileated Woodpecker Family working through problems

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Love birdwatching. I don't bother with feeders. Mostly focus on roadside birds on my way to work-lots of variety if you bother to try and ID them.

Log a lot of miles watching raptors and cranes, I drive to the Necedah wildlife refuge a few times a year to watch the whooping cranes-in terms of population that's the rarest species I have seen.

Also saw a gyrfalcon a few miles north of my house that caused quite a stir on am IA bitding forum, and found the first nest of barn owls recorded in my county since at least the 60s(when records began). DNR was more excited than me on that one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:14:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There's a guy around the corner from me in central Virginia (between Charlottesville and Richmond) who hosts a huge purple martin colony, and gives seminars on them.  Next year will be his 30th Purple Martin Field Day.  I've been a couple of times.

Website

http://www.purplemartinfieldday.org/images/A2-Purple%20Martin%20Field%20Day%20_5739c_Edited_488x283.jpg

As I believe someone commented elsewhere, they only exist east of the Mississippi because of the support of people like you.
View Quote

Dude, we’re neighbors.

I live just around the corner too
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was gonna try to get a colony of pheasant going on my property, but I understand it's darned near impossible to do.  Apparently they don't make good parents.  I have no idea how they survive in the wild...perhaps only a small percentage survive.  We used to see them in Indiana all the time.
View Quote

They tell me it’s our soils and egg issues. Calcium or something.

I have to go to Kansas

Flushing Rooster by FredMan, on Flickr

And hell, here’s moar birds.

DSC_0448-Geese Getit by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_5157-Osprey Perched by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_9747-Green Heron by FredMan, on Flickr

Eagle by FredMan, on Flickr

Strut 20170403 by FredMan, on Flickr

Heron On Piling by FredMan, on Flickr

Osprey with Bass by FredMan, on Flickr

Goslings 20180422 by FredMan, on Flickr

Low Flying Buzzard by FredMan, on Flickr

Hover by FredMan, on Flickr

Double Crested Cormorant In Flight by FredMan, on Flickr

Strut 20170403 by FredMan, on Flickr

Flying Egret by FredMan, on Flickr

Immature Baldie Perched Enhanced NR by FredMan, on Flickr

Eagle 2022-09-15 by FredMan, on Flickr

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Has anyone used or setup something like a feeder cam? An all weather cam that could send high quality video back to the house right from the feeders would be interesting I think..
View Quote

There are many options on Amazon.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#16]
My rarest sighted and photographed bird was this totally lost Snowy Owl that decided to spend some time in NE FL at the beach.  

DSC_5030crop by Flcrutch, on Flickr" />

DSC_5027crop by Flcrutch, on Flickr" />

DSC_4964crop by Flcrutch, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#17]

That's awesome man, I'm not on your level
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Friendly reminder looking at wildlife is fun
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#19]

All of those are awesome Fredman but that hummer is my favorite.  So very well done!
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#20]
My favorite birds are;

1 Wood thrush
2 Yellow Chat
3 chimney swifts

Indigo buntings
Cardinals
scarlet tanagers
Mocking birds
Phoebes
Wrens

i don't have many that I don't like but cowbirds are at the top of that list.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Not as a serious hobby but I do like to keep an eye out. Rarest bird has been the California Condor.
Navajo bridge, Az. 2023
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's awesome man, I'm not on your level
View Quote

I think maybe you meant to reply to Fredman.  

If it was me you indended to quote, you are too kind.  It was simply a matter of being lucky enough to learn of it being out there.  I'm not really happy with the pics but the atmospheric distortion that day was pretty bad.   I regret not going back for another try before it decided to move on.

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Lifelong birdwatcher here.

We spend a lot of money here every year doing habitat manipulation for ground-nesting birds (turkey and quail) and migratory songbirds.

I also kill lots of house sparrows and European starlings and other invasive/harmful birds.

We usually host a few woodcock every winter and get to watch their sky dances in late February. We’ve had them successfully hatch woodcock chicks here.

My favorites are cedar waxwings and woodcock in winter. Summer and scarlet tanagers in summer. Quail and turkeys any time of year. We have doves nest in our cedar thickets. Indigo buntings and blue grosbeaks in the spring. We’ve had wood ducks nest in the box on our pond. Killdeer and nighthawks in the yard. Yellow-billed cuckoos in the trees around us. Brown thrashers in the back yard. Kingbirds and Kingfishers around our pond. Eastern towhees around my deer stand every evening during deer season. Goldfinches destroy our sunflower patches. Carolina wrens share my deer stand with me. We allow barn swallows to nest under our porch and they raised 5 chicks there this spring and have a second nest going now.

We see tons of robins in late winter and early spring. We have turkey and black vultures that sit in one certain tree almost every day. Two weeks ago I sat and watched a red-tailed hawk move from fence post to fence post hunting mice.

We have mockingbirds here now and blue jays seasonally. Most years a few house finches nest in our flowers.

Yeah, we like birds.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What's that yellow guy
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Meadowlark, one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Never heard of one making it that far south. Awesome!
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My favorite birds are;

1 Wood thrush
2 Yellow Chat
3 chimney swifts

Indigo buntings
Cardinals
scarlet tanagers
Mocking birds
Phoebes
Wrens

View Quote

Got lots og chimney swifts in my town. Very fun to watch!
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I out out sunflower seed for them, nothing special.  

Every now and again we'll get a Indigo Bunting or a Scarlett Tanager hanging around.
View Quote

I miss the scarlet tanagers. They would be in the very top of trees making "Picky tucky tuck tuck tuck" chatter. Not the best pic but out in WA I will spot these western ones sometimes. A lot of them are dull yellow / green and look kind of like female painted buntings, but get the right male and they are pretty bright red from thefront

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Forgive the potato quality picture. Bald Eagle in Swan Creek last week.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:55:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Some absolutely fantastic pictures in this thread!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#30]
My wife was recovering from a busted leg and dislocated ankle that had her laid up in the house one spring and summer a few years ago. I remembered how much fun my cat had in the country watching a bird feeder I had installed at my cabin, so. I did the same for my wife on our home’s deck, visible from her chair. 10 years and a bout of cancer later, she considers bird-watching, next our dogs, her favorite entertainment. Always has a regional birders guide next to her chair. We get Cardinals, Blue Jays, Finches, Robins, Woodpeckers, and those damned gangsters of the avian world, Doves. We also get some huge crows who always drop off a token of friendship after a meal- so far we have received string, bottle caps and what looked like a charm from a bracelet. They’re friendlier than most of the neighbors.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Two of the funniest bird related things I’ve ever seen are:

A crow hoarding french fires like “all these mine!”

And, my wife getting cussed out by a blue bird when she accidentally got between it and a spider it wanted to eat.

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Close, however, no other colors than brown.  Thanks for the reply.  I’ll try to get a picture…

I feed them about 2 cups of wild bird seed, 7am & 4 pm. scattered on the ground, near the 3 water dishes.

House finches, threshers, sparrows; ring neck, Inca, white wing, & mourning dove. A couple pigeons, sometimes join in.  Occasionally, black birds, cardinals, gamble quail and roadrunners.  Oh, plus the annoying Mexican grackles.

A few mocking birds, one likes to sit under the transformer, in the shade, singing night & day.

3 types of woodpeckers are sucking the life out of the hummingbird feeders.  I wouldn’t mind so much, if they didn’t spill it, attracting honey bee swarms, sugar ants, and a variety of other small bees.  I actually saw a mud dauber wasp checking it out.

Out neighbor feeds the quail a lot of food every day, DH has mentioned seeing over 50 when he feeds them.  Of course the other birds join in.  

Harris hawks, sparrow hawks, ring tail hawks, and a few I haven’t identified yet, know exactly when & where I feed the birds, swooping in for their share.  

Around dusk, the night hawks fly through the area.

Evening to early morning in the spring and fall, screech and hoot owls.  They sometimes sit on the telephone pole next to our yard.

Also, brown and bald eagles migrate every spring and fall. They nest around Roosevelt, Canyon, Saguaro lakes and the Salt river.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I enjoyed birdwatching when I was in my teens in the 80s. My mom was an avid birdwatcher back then. She voluntarily counted migratory patterns of birds for the National Park Service. I still enjoy watching birds.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't take binoculars and head out into the woods to look at birds but I did set up a bunch of different feeders in front a large window outside my living room to watch them come and go.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#35]
I’m a millenial but love birdwatching and a lot of other “old man” activities.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:29:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My favorite birds are;

1 Wood thrush
2 Yellow Chat
3 chimney swifts

Indigo buntings
Cardinals
scarlet tanagers
Mocking birds
Phoebes
Wrens

View Quote

Cowbirds are parasitic, meaning that they lay their eggs in the nests of other birds for those other birds to rear.  To make matters worse, the cowbird chicks will out-compete the host's chicks at feeding time.  The cowbird will return periodically and check to see if its eggs are still there.  If the host bird has gotten rid of the foreign [cowbird] eggs, the cowbird will destroy all of the remaining eggs in the nest.  They are real bastards.

I've attended presentations on being a purple martin "landlord," and one of the things you do is make periodic checks on their nests.  If you see cowbird eggs, you don't remove them (for the aforementioned reason.)  You "addle" them by shaking them vigorously to destroy the insides, then you put them back in the nest.  When the cowbird returns, it sees that its eggs are still there so it won't molest the nest...but those cowbird eggs will never hatch.

To some small extent you put a dent in the cowbird population, but the real goal is to protect the eggs/chicks of the host bird.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:07:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Birdwatching is gayer than 300BO.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:29:19 AM EDT
[#38]
I like birdwatching. Got a double on painted bunting the other day. I never did get a decent shot of them in the sun. They always wanted to be in the shade.

and this yellow billed cuckoo let me drive right under it recently. I love the crazy calls those guys make.

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Couple of Ring Neck doves .
In laws get an albino Cardinal . Haven't been able to get a picture .
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/47916/20240615_113042-3242853.jpg
View Quote

That would be awesome to see. Keep trying.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That would be awesome to see. Keep trying.
View Quote

Winter before last we had a partially melanistic female cardinal here during a cold snap. She was neat to see but I never got a decent picture of her.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I miss the scarlet tanagers. They would be in the very top of trees making "Picky tucky tuck tuck tuck" chatter. Not the best pic but out in WA I will spot these western ones sometimes. A lot of them are dull yellow / green and look kind of like female painted buntings, but get the right male and they are pretty bright red from thefront

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/586072/tanager_jpg-3243388.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I out out sunflower seed for them, nothing special.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/586072/tanager_jpg-3243388.JPG

Those are super cool
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Leucistic robin in my neighbor's yard.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#43]
I find reptiles and amphibians and record location data, my wife IDs plants and bird watches.

We both think the biggest issue with birding is birders.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Looks like the Eastern Screech Owl to me.

The first night I got thermal I went outside to see the world.  First thing I saw was... a bat missing a wing on the ground.  I looked around and saw an Eastern Screech Owl sitting in a tree about 50 feet away.  I went inside to get a headlamp and a box to pick up the bat for the kids to see.  When I came back out the bat and the owl were gone.

Nom nom nom!

I thought thermal had opened a whole new way to witness nature.  I've never seen anything that cool since.
View Quote

Thanks. I think you might be right about them being Eastern Screech Owls, but I am no owl expert.  They look like cute little cuddly things, but from your description of it's behavior it sounds like they are straight up stone cold killers. Nice to know I have them protecting the neighborhood at night from varmints.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#45]
I used to enjoy watching the birds right outside my window. They would build a nest every year. Then the next door neighbor got a couple feral cats and they have killed all the birds that used to live in my bushes.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Just made a fresh pan of hummingbird food ...

My wife started feeding the birds when we moved to this house 25 years ago. Nothing fancy, just a tube feeder, an open one, a suet feeder and something for the hummingbirds. I may have 20 different varieties of birds come through my yard in a day. Stellar jays, flickers, pileated woodpeckers, redwing blackbirds, crows, hummingbirds, assorted finches, swallows and wrens are all daily visitors. Had crows harassing an eagle over my back yard yesterday.

I find it relaxing to go out with my coffee, fill what needs filling, and have a cigarette when done and watch them flock in. They know I'm the food guy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#48]
First bird at the Birdfy (screenshot of the video)

First visitor is a squirrel who fell of it several times. Especially after he tried the bird seed with Cayenne pepper
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

All of those are awesome Fredman but that hummer is my favorite.  So very well done!
View Quote

Moar hummers!

DSC_8556-Chitter by FredMan, on Flickr

Hummer Hover Wings Forward by FredMan, on Flickr

Female Ruby-Throated Hover by FredMan, on Flickr

Ruby-throated Puffy Liftoff by FredMan, on Flickr

Ruby-throated Tongue by FredMan, on Flickr

Singing In The Rain by FredMan, on Flickr

Hummer In The Rain by FredMan, on Flickr

Lookout by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just made a fresh pan of hummingbird food ...

My wife started feeding the birds when we moved to this house 25 years ago. Nothing fancy, just a tube feeder, an open one, a suet feeder and something for the hummingbirds. I may have 20 different varieties of birds come through my yard in a day. Stellar jays, flickers, pileated woodpeckers, redwing blackbirds, crows, hummingbirds, assorted finches, swallows and wrens are all daily visitors. Had crows harassing an eagle over my back yard yesterday.

I find it relaxing to go out with my coffee, fill what needs filling, and have a cigarette when done and watch them flock in. They know I'm the food guy.
View Quote

Yeah I don't go anywhere either. I just like watching them at my house or if I'm over at my parents
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top